Monthly Noob Challenge 3

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    biofrost wrote: »
    Nice! Really love how it looks.

If you guys don't mind ill join you in this months challenge. Ill post a blockout after I see the Hobbit tonight.

DO IT. Anyone can, Adam said he's post it on the Polycount Facebook page this weekend to get some more exposure, hopefully we can get enough traction to someday make this a legit thing, with a news post and everything.
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simple asset, but will be zBrushed of course for extra detail :)

FxonR.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack Ryan wrote: »
    Simple asset, but will be zBrushed of course for extra detail :)

FxonR.png

Not trying to be rude, but if you could post all these blockout props as one image that would be nice so we don't make this 30 pages by the end of the month, once you've finished something or need crits that would be better.
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not trying to be rude, but if you could post all these blockout props as one image that would be nice so we don't make this 30 pages by the end of the month, once you've finished something or need crits that would be better.

Sure, my bad! :)
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    rJMXY.jpg
    I might make a prop next, I really wanted to see if I could make some kewl bottles.
    And that pallet isn't for the scene.

May be or May Be not a noob question, did you make this by doing a HP first, then Zbrushing and, lastly bake down to a LP?

cause i really really am afraid of texturing. Im really afraid of the results cause i dont know where to start or how :$
  • _Montee_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Montee_ polycounter lvl 8
    CDeniz wrote: »
    Parallax occlusion mapping.

http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Parallax+Occlusion+Mapping

I think I will incorporate it into my textures as well.

Is there a fancy thing like this in UDK? looks cool, I only really new of Displacement and Normal maps for such effects?
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys sorry for the lack of participation so far, been doing things, bout to go see the hobbit, as soon as I'm back I'll start the blocking.

PS: Shootings... ffs.
  • andylisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andylisk polycounter lvl 8
    _Montee_ wrote: »
    Is there a fancy thing like this in UDK? looks cool, I only really new of Displacement and Normal maps for such effects?

Yes there is
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsParallaxOccludedMapping.html

Btw I will be joining this challenge as well. Nice to meet all of you!
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycount,

Okay so basicly i havnt been as active as i would like to be on this project because of my school award show (which i won a best of class). but so for 5mins i did my block out of the basic structure and now i will plan out my props and see how i want to take this for texturing i would like to throw in some Zbrush texturing for the practice but we will see what kinda time i have later on.

29fpab4.jpg
  • SelwynPhillips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SelwynPhillips polycounter lvl 11
    Progress: Blockout and a texture made in Photoshop (includes diffuse, normals and specular)

My blockout
    tumblr_mf1ranMoKd1rk3q8ho1_1280.jpg

First texture- Not sure about the bottom part of it.
    tumblr_mf3mtuEjys1rk3q8ho1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mf3mtuEjys1rk3q8ho2_1280.jpg

Note: Apologies for rubbish lighting on my blockout (I don't know all that much about producing good renders in maya)
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice texture, I like that red tint on the bottom 2 rows of bricks
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    Since i'm very bad at sculpt, i did this wood texture in photoshop... how can i improve it?

2w402fn.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx wrote: »
    May be or May Be not a noob question, did you make this by doing a HP first, then Zbrushing and, lastly bake down to a LP?

cause i really really am afraid of texturing. Im really afraid of the results cause i dont know where to start or how :$

I sculpted them, baked them, then I textured them, I had to make the height by hand since the one from max was shit, plus I added a gradient to make one tile appear to be slightly tilted.
    Also I baked to a plane, because it's a texture using POM.
    Esselle wrote: »
    Since i'm very bad at sculpt, i did this wood texture in photoshop... how can i improve it?

2w402fn.png

Tone down the normal on the grain, it's way too intense, overlay a wood texture that is more wood like.
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycount,

I basicly went through and thought of what all COULD be in a plausible basement. however I may have left some things out because I was running out of ideas. NOTE some items on the list may not be in the concept but could be added to add more realism. Plus modeling and texturing some of these props may be kinda fun so I you think of anything else that might be neat add it to your list or PM if you think its really good and ill edit it into this list.

Props for Basement Project
    >

1st Pass
    >
    Water heater
    Washer
    Dryer
    Furnace
    Larger Cardboard Boxes
    Larger Wooden Crates
    Trunks
    Workbench
    Ladder
    Shelfs
    Deep Freeze
    Scrap Wood
    Table Saw

>
    2nd Pass
    >
    Light Fixtures
    Smaller Carboard Boxes
    Smaller Wooden Crates
    Pipes
    Cans
    Bottles (Glass & Platic)
    Tools
    Trash Can (Smaller or Bigger)

>
    3rd Pass
    >
    Wiring
    Posters
    Pictures
    Trash
    Nails
    Smaller Tools
    Power Routing Box? (http://img2-2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/electrical/electrical-upgrades-01.jpg)
    power outlets
    Power Switches
    Water Shut off Valve
    Gas "-"
    Breaker Box

*EDIT* Now on a side note I am currently making this project in Maya, and I honestly have little to 0 experience with UDK (which I want to use for my environment) and well I could use some help about importing applying textures etc etc so if anyone has a good resource of tutorials up their wizard like sleeve that would be much appreciated =D.
  • akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Hello everyone, here is my contribution:

i6v0g.jpg
    scfhS.jpg
    Be0ar.jpg
    6yGnm.jpg
    7RigG.jpg
    R3aWb.jpg
    bK0BU.jpg
    sZ4VM.jpg
    1Y3ri.jpg
    Mxc4E.jpg
    HSiCm.jpg
    xm7RF.jpg
    AQTPF.jpg
    5NTYb.jpg
    TDbem.jpg

C&C are welcome :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good but you don't need to post a 10 images, maybe 3 or 4, I don't want this thread to be 50 pages long. Or just post the non wire frame ones maybe?
  • akh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Oops sorry, ok I post only the non wire frame now :)
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better yet you can whip up a quicky presentation page

21ctcok.jpg
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    overlay a wood texture that is more wood like.
    do you mean a photo texture?
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone here have any experience with Modo and UDK? or Modo and CryEngine for that matter, I don't really care which engine I use since I have no experience with either of them.

I do have the student version of Max somewhere though so I could use it for asset creation but I'd really prefer to use Modo since I already bought 601 and I want to learn how to use it properly
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RnqQ6.png

There's something about this - specifically the light bulb - that just doesn't look right, could anybody pinpoint what's bothering me?
  • OddEyes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    i think the lightbulb is simple too small. Scale it up
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OddEyes wrote: »
    ^
    i think the lightbulb is simple too small. Scale it up

Hmm, yeah maybe, thanks.

I've had a mess about with it, and I think I've just constructed it badly too. I'll revisit it later, don't want to get held up on something that the player isn't likely to see.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Nice progress guys. I will using a realy stylized, mostly hand painted style on this(just diffuse). So I started to paint the tileable's.Its really wip...
    textureswip.jpg
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I, too, started by painting the textures first. Still wip.
    textures.jpg
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r3spawn wrote: »
    Does anyone here have any experience with Modo and UDK? or Modo and CryEngine for that matter, I don't really care which engine I use since I have no experience with either of them.

I do have the student version of Max somewhere though so I could use it for asset creation but I'd really prefer to use Modo since I already bought 601 and I want to learn how to use it properly

I am still waiting on someone to help out and link a good UDK tutorial source since I am clueless when it comes to UDK or any engine for that matter
    Tomm wrote: »
    I, too, started by painting the textures first. Still wip.
    textures.jpg

and btw I like the textures I need to look more into using tileables for this scene I definantly wanna get stronger in my texturing department
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some coca-cola bottles to put in a crate because I didn't wanna make textures.
    YzWwM.png
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    Made some coca-cola bottles to put in a crate because I didn't wanna make textures.
    YzWwM.png

Nice glass material. It's cryengine?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy wrote: »
    Nice glass material. It's cryengine?

Yeah, it took me awhile to get it how I wanted it, it's not exactly what I wanted but it will suffice.
  • _Montee_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andylisk wrote: »
    Yes there is
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsParallaxOccludedMapping.html

Btw I will be joining this challenge as well. Nice to meet all of you!

HOLY CRAP!! That looks really complicated!
    YzWwM.png

These look ace... just think it needs some grime on there seen as they are in a basement. would expect them to be dusty and dirty.

Noticed some people asking for tuts etc. for UDK, so I thought I would post this here:

3DBuzz: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5048DD0254E3FD8B

Pete Bottomley (from White Paper Games) also is a really good tutor on UDK (teaches at UCLan in the UK), his stuff is here :) : http://www.youtube.com/user/PeteBottomley/videos?flow=grid&view=0
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HOLY CRAP!! That looks really complicated!

These look ace... just think it needs some grime on there seen as they are in a basement. would expect them to be dusty and dirty.

Thanks:) As for the dirt I was thinking about how to do that, since a spec map won't really work on the glass shader, I was thinking about making an alpha, but that doesn't work either. If you look close it's not perfectly smooth, but not really dirt either:/ I will prolly go back and figure out a way that looks decent in my polish stage.

As for UDK and POM, that's why I use Cryengine, why waste time setting up that crap when I can focus on the art, in Cryengine I just make a displacement map, have it in the same folder as my normal map, then use the _displ suffix, and click "POM". While UDK gives you amazing levels of control, I feel you spend a lot of time one technical things that detract from the art and slow things down.

I'm not saying that technical stuff is bad either, in fact it's super important and pretty fun, but when you are on a deadline like for this month. Would you rather spend that time setting up shader networks or actually making art/assets and iterating?
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Thanks:) As for the dirt I was thinking about how to do that, since a spec map won't really work on the glass shader, I was thinking about making an alpha, but that doesn't work either. If you look close it's not perfectly smooth, but not really dirt either:/ I will prolly go back and figure out a way that looks decent in my polish stage.

As for UDK and POM, that's why I use Cryengine, why waste time setting up that crap when I can focus on the art, in Cryengine I just make a displacement map, have it in the same folder as my normal map, then use the _displ suffix, and click "POM". While UDK gives you amazing levels of control, I feel you spend a lot of time one technical things that detract from the art and slow things down.

I'm not saying that technical stuff is bad either, in fact it's super important and pretty fun, but when you are on a deadline like for this month. Would you rather spend that time setting up shader networks or actually making art/assets and iterating?

I thought the latest build allows dirt map in the diffuse of the glass shader? Looking nice though.

Edit: nvm, thats what you meant with the alpha.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz wrote: »
    I thought the latest build allows dirt map in the diffuse of the glass shader? Looking nice though.
    No actually, I didn't think of using a blend layer, technically that's an alpha but wouldn't raise the polycount. I should prolly do that. I was also thinking about how to add a fluid that didn't look like crap or be poly based. Like making some of the glass darker at a line, it would look too fake. So I'm not sure.

Thanks for reminding me, I'm not sure how it slipped my mind.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Not much to show right now, planning on going full force on this after work today.

Pazyj.jpg
  • _Montee_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah I agree with you there on the technical side I love knowing it and stuff but god does it take time lol. however never used Cry engine before might have to have a quick look at some point and figure it out ;)
  • Squkkawakka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squkkawakka polycounter lvl 4
    Here is my block out, I plan on doing a lot of work during the week.

BlockoutMaya_zps35193401.jpg

BlockoutUDK_zps83b506d6.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree with you there on the technical side I love knowing it and stuff but god does it take time lol. however never used Cry engine before might have to have a quick look at some point and figure it out ;)

It's very simple in my opinion, I have used it since Cryengine 2, let me know if you have any questions, just look around before asking;) http://freesdk.crydev.net/dashboard.action
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my progress... i have to hardly improve the dirt on the wall
    5oxs8h.png
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you guys think it's a good idea to do the blockout inside udk using bsp brushes? and then maybe converting each 'component' to a static mesh? or what's the easiest way?

I'm used to valve hammer editor a lot, and kinda dislike doing interiors inside a 3d app.
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

anyone?
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you guys think it's a good idea to do the blockout inside udk using bsp brushes? and then maybe converting each 'component' to a static mesh? or what's the easiest way?

I'm used to valve hammer editor a lot, and kinda dislike doing interiors inside a 3d app.

Tomm what I did was I blocked out the walls and the staircase and ceiling in UDK using BSP brushes, then started to add to the blockout via static meshes. For example I blocked out the stairs and then modeled the actual stairs in a 3D app then imported it in and placed right on top of the stair BSP block out, then deleted the stair BSP.

Also the good thing about this is that you can convert the BSP blockout of your scene to a static mesh then export that to a .OBJ file then import that into your 3D app and use that as a skeleton for your actual props.

EDIT: Also forgot to add that BSP brushes are also good for the blockout because as you blockout you will notice the perspective issues with the photo. With the BSPs you can easly adjust the size of walls and such without going through the trouble of importing a new version of your blockout everytime you want to make one room 1 foot longer. Just my 2 cents. :)

Example:

Capture.jpg

4518Capture.JPG
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm personally doing all my blocking out and scene setting in 3DS Max (replacing the guide primitives with the actual assets) then doing my beauty renders in UDK when I know it's all done and set up properly. There's multiple ways to make sure it works, just depends how safe you want to be :)
  • _Montee_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I personally like to BSP it all first so I can figure the lighting out and make sure my proportions correct compared to the player. I guess its personal preference really.
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tkfxity wrote: »
    Tomm what I did was I blocked out the walls and the staircase and ceiling in UDK using BSP brushes, then started to add to the blockout via static meshes. For example I blocked out the stairs and then modeled the actual stairs in a 3D app then imported it in and placed right on top of the stair BSP block out, then deleted the stair BSP.

Also the good thing about this is that you can convert the BSP blockout of your scene to a static mesh then export that to a .OBJ file then import that into your 3D app and use that as a skeleton for your actual props.

EDIT: Also forgot to add that BSP brushes are also good for the blockout because as you blockout you will notice the perspective issues with the photo. With the BSPs you can easly adjust the size of walls and such without going through the trouble of importing a new version of your blockout everytime you want to make one room 1 foot longer. Just my 2 cents. :)

Example:

Capture.jpg

4518Capture.JPG

Ima probably not the first to say this but dam you can make some nice wood.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone?

You can't use modo with cryengine, in theory you could. But not really, it would work fine with UDK.

As for using BSP, I suggest against it, what real advantage would it have? It just seems like a waste of time to do that when you could model it much more accurately in max. In max I have it set so I can make everything fit together perfectly and it's all planned out.
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys! So I guess I'll do the ceiling, walls and floor using bsp brushes, and the rest static meshes.
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Polycount,

So here is my mornings progress, ive been tempted to try the tileable textures and so I gave a go at some wood planks and some tile so let me know what you think I would appeciate it as my texturing skills are non existent

33nx4ig.jpg
  • blackcloud34
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blackcloud34 polycounter lvl 7
    Hello everyone !! here is my progress I made a rought of the scene but I don't know if I will have the time to finish before the end :/ but it's always good to do stuff like this :)
    So for the rought I know that I have some things to change in the proportions

[IMG][/img]687434screenshot1.jpg
  • Jowens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work so far guys, those bottles look pretty boss Alex

Progress thus far:

wip1h.jpg

Been working on materials, and getting a feel for the lighting. Everything really WIP still.
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomm, great work on the hand painted textures. Inspiring me to paint textures for this time.