Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 3

Replies

• rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man congratulations your scene is TOP NOTCH.

I think the parts I personally like the best of your scene is the mood of your lighting also includes the walls and the pillars I think they are eye catching along with the bottles not mention the awesome model and texture of your water heater.

I wont bother you with crits right now as they are really minor, unless you are interested of course.

edit: havent responded to your crits in mine , because I want to adressed better, with a better understanding of enviroment prop placement. thanks for your comment and again congrats on your scene.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Good:) Next month keep learning! It's nice to see everyone participate!
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks man
    now, I'll call it completed :D
    Your's coming good too, just finish touch....
    Also if you haven't check "http://vimeo.com/38542834" I suggest, you shld.. Its about color lookup table, simply awesome feature....
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thansk, thats the color variations right ? yeah I was cheking that out.

since we are sharing knowledge check post process chains in

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PostProcessEditorUserGuide.html

It helps alot, you create that from the browser editor just follow the tutorial in the website.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I've been rummaging through these posts and thought I'd give it a go even though the date's passed. I'm having a difficult time setting the pivot for these pipes to make them modular. I don't have any experience with making things that are curved modular.

As you can see the pivot is waaaay off. Any advice on how to snap that to the model and then the grid? If it were any other shape I'd drag out a face or edge til it snapped to the grid but that won't work here. I'll get it close in one view and go to another and it's way off again. This is the left view so it looks like things will snap correctly, but the top view says otherwise.....
    89361001.jpg

I know what to do just now how to do it so any guidance would be greatly appreciated
    27146842.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Just wanted to drop by and say everyone's work looks really awesome. I unfortently did not have time to finish this months due to a few freelance gigs that came my way(guess it's not so bad haha)

Can't wait to see what comes next month!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Chase wrote: »
    I've been rummaging through these posts and thought I'd give it a go even though the date's passed. I'm having a difficult time setting the pivot for these pipes to make them modular. I don't have any experience with making things that are curved modular.

As you can see the pivot is waaaay off. Any advice on how to snap that to the model and then the grid? If it were any other shape I'd drag out a face or edge til it snapped to the grid but that won't work here. I'll get it close in one view and go to another and it's way off again. This is the left view so it looks like things will snap correctly, but the top view says otherwise.....

I know what to do just now how to do it so any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Make sure the start and end of any pipe section falls on a grid point, and you put the pivot point at the center of one end of pipe section.

I'm a Maya user, so I can't really tell you how to do this in max specifically. In Maya I would:
    • snap a nurbs circle (or whatever it's called in Max) to a grid point
    • then move the it's pivot depending on the size of the bend
    • revolve the circle 90 degrees or whatever you need to make a bend, and use that section to construct the other bends.
    If you need a different radius, I can just repeat the same process, but adjust the pivot point.

By revolving you can also be certain that the ends of these 90 degree bends line up properly at each end unlike some other methods, which like in your screens end up with the end of the bends being skewed.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    I made my pipes a little different then what you suggest m4dcow. I just created a spline, messed with the verts, and made the spline viewable in the viewport to give it its shape. I have the ends snapped to the grid in the Front and Left view but the Top view isn't. I can't get the verts to snap where they need to which makes placing the pivot impossible. I can get the gizmo to snap where I need it to go, just not the verts.

Here's what I'm talking about from the Top and Front views
    49770201.jpg

And how I can't get the verts to snap the way it's bending
    60032185.jpg
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    OKE, thats it. Cmtanko inspired me to enter this challenge (the next one) =P I am still a total newb but it might be time to push myself into completing an environment.

When is the next challenge ? :)
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    @Chase - If you select the verts on the loop that you want to make the pivot central to then the X,Y,Z location should be shown at the bottom of max. So select the loop, copy the x,y,z locations shown then go into the hierarchy tab, select 'Affect pivot only' and input the same values (where you got the x,y,z numbers). Hope this helps

Edit - forgot to mention that you will need to make sure the verts that you use to get the pivot information from is planar - quick way to ensure this is the case is to select the verts and use the 'Make planar' buttons under Edit Geometry (best to use the X Y and Z buttons rather than the 'Make Planar' button as this will take an average)
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warning, image heavy!

@Cmtanko - that looks awesome, congrats!

Here are my 'final' shots

Concept Angle:
    basementconceptview.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Boiler View:
    basementboilercloser.jpg

Back Room:
    basementbackroom.jpg

The mystery room:
    basementdoorview.jpg

And some props see the sunlight:
    basementprops.jpg

As always, any crits are more than welcome - thanks for looking
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah Zero I'm not getting things to work. It's rather frustrating haha. How do I upload an obj so you can see what I'm doing wrong? If you'd be so kind cause right now I'm just going in circles and not getting anything done :(
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    looking sweet sweet Zero. I am looking forward to the next challenge. Any ETA so far ?
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    nice work Zero ;)
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    MisterSande : Thats a great compliment.. Thanks for the likes... and the next challange starts tomm. 1st feb. you can check /B][URL]http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115931&page=4&highlight=Noob[/URL][B
    If you are a newb, this is really a good place to start with.

ZeroBigSis: Thanks man, your help did worked then ;)
    Not exactly a critz , but I think it would have been better if you rendered it without showing the hollow (outside world) . A closed room would have been better ? . Anyways, I liked your scene from the beginning. Really awesome
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis : Good job, your models and textures of the lamps and water heater are really good.
  • ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :poly136:
    @cmtanko - I agree, kind of spoils the in-game effect.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get ready guys, next months thread is coming in a few hours.
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnal submission

Hi guys I hope I'm not too late I thought the challenge ended at midnight.

This is as far as I can go, its was a good learning expirience ,and thanks to everyone for your crits and thanks AlexCatMasterSupreme and cmtanko for your taking time to check my progress.

This challenge I tried to learn and get better at :

-Hand painting

-Lighting and color mood

-Fast modeling

-UDK materials

Also learn no to super saturate a scene making everyone want to rip their own eyeballs.

01_zpsb4440bd4.jpg

02_zps72df2e19.jpg

03_zps60d1d686.jpg

04_zps25822de7.jpg
  • Sir_Dillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir_Dillon polycounter lvl 6
    what the...

o_0

I.. wait! Didn't anyone mention the term "noob"?!? -> define: "noob" ^^
    Just was thinking about joining next month, but I dont see anyone here whom I would dare to call a noob. If this is noob, where then am I to be put? xD

nice work everyone! But now I have to go and dig through crit-posts. Suck up all wisdom. Cheers!
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir_Dillon : We are all "noobs" at something, thats why we enter the challenge, you should too is quite a fun ride.
  • kevino025
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kevino025 polycounter lvl 10
    Everything is looking fantastic here guys. Great job to everyone who participated on the challenge. Cant wait for the next one to start. I hope everyone joins the next too.

It will be my first one.

Cheers!
  • MrsNomingtons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrsNomingtons polycounter lvl 12
    Everyones done really awesome :) Here's my final entry for the competition. I know it's a little different from the concept, I got carried away...I hope it's fine. Had a lot of fun with this.

BasementPass_02.jpg

Looking forward to taking part in more of these things. I'll try to upload more progress shots when I do it again.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Cats! Cats everywhere!
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, been a great extended month! This was my first challenge and FIRST time working on a project with a deadline(second time creating a environment scene). I have learned a lot from this challenge and can't wait to participate in more. The more you try at it the better you get! Some things ive learned while doing this challenge:

- Hand painting

- Advanced Lighting

- Blocking out (First time ive blocked out a scene based on a concept)

- FBX vs ASE exported models (FBX is better imo)

- Model Creation to fit the scene

Overall, its been a enjoyable extended month and can't wait for the next challenge!

778648_497167120326665_30800604_o.jpg

820889_497167100326667_1625226848_o.jpg

841284_497167090326668_2137551487_o.jpg

775637_497167140326663_433144284_o.jpg

Thanks to AlexCatMasterSupreme for starting this challenge thread!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O wrote: »
    Cats! Cats everywhere!

Meow meow mother fucker.
    New thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1768195#post1768195

And tfxtiyitityit you're welcome, let's not forget our good friend CDeniz.
  • perrivince
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perrivince polycounter lvl 11
    Lost Track of time.
    Here's my 'final' shots. Still needs some polish but I'm excited to start on the next one!

final_01.JPG

final_02.JPG
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    I have to call this done, since this is the last day. There are somethings I would definitely fix but happy overall. It was a good time overall.

Here are things I have improved on:

- Hand painting textures

- Material Editing

- Post-Processing in UDK

- Advanced Lighting

- Blocking out

- Time management

Full+View.jpgBiolerCorner.jpgDown+the+Stairs.jpg
  • b4volpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, very well planned out. Keep up the good work.
  • Sir_Dillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir_Dillon polycounter lvl 6
    Nice results really.
    Got a question

@ lamar McHaney

Your scene has a bit a Borderland-ish look to it. Is it just my eyes kidding me and you just have very comicy painted textures? Or did u really do something? e-g. shader?
    I am looking at your images and can't decide whether I see black lines and outlines or if its just your textures 'faking' it?
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Very Nice job lamar .
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    lol @Sir_Dillion

I felt the concept art was more comic like than realistic so, that is the direction I went. I was able to make a edge detection material in UDK which gave a thin black line on the edge of an asset base on the camera. I referenced Superman: Earth One and Borderlands 2 for my texture and color palette because that is the direction I wanted to go.

@Ehsan Gamer

Thank you
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    any tips on how you guys tackled the making of the plasterwall (closest to the stairs). Cause it's killing me! =)
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    @tkfxity -very nice render. This scene kinda reminds me of Hitman.
    @lamar- looks good. I like the visual direction you chose.

These challenges look very interesting. I may have to catch the next one though since we are already 8 days into february.

Great looking submissions to all.
  • Manticora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I know this challenge is over for a while now :\ I finished my attempt to the concept months ago and forgot to post it, but I wanted to show my result here anyway.

Great work everyone!!!

cellar.png