Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 3

Replies

• rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UrbanMaws wrote: »
    Hey Polycount,

So here is my mornings progress, ive been tempted to try the tileable textures and so I gave a go at some wood planks and some tile so let me know what you think I would appeciate it as my texturing skills are non existent

33nx4ig.jpg

Hey man, your textures going the right way, Im guessing is the first pass, If I may say the diffuse for the plank could have less yellow , also in the spec for the wood , maybe darking those white areas a little bit , so it dosent look metalic. the tiles for the floor you can have more detail of age with some easy hand paint and color variation

O, about your post for some udk tutorials

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/3D_Tutorials.html

Hope this helps
  • UrbanMaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockguy wrote: »

Hey man, your textures going the right way, Im guessing is the first pass, If I may say the diffuse for the plank could have less yellow , also in the spec for the wood , maybe darking those white areas a little bit , so it dosent look metalic. the tiles for the floor you can have more detail of age with some easy hand paint and color variation

O, about your post for some udk tutorials

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/3D_Tutorials.html

Hope this helps

awesome thanks I appreciate the C&C I was trying to think of ways to add some age and chips to the tile but im just not very confident in my hand painting skills but I mine as well give it a shot otherwise I wont get better. and for the UDK tuts thank you I will be watching them till I pass out.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    This took me most of the day:P I may have been staring at it too long but I'm kinda happy with it, at least after I added a blendlayer.
    iuq43.jpg
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KennyTies
    hey thanks, glad you like it. I'm still not sure if I didn't overdo it with that cartoony look.
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wall looks good Alex! The spec that seems to be hitting the crevices between the bricks in the middle seems a bit strong or out of place but otherwise it looks very nice =]
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a couple hours in adding in a lot of wood. Hand texturing so much wood is a pain. Anyways, the stone texture is not done, the current diffuse is there as a placeholder. Wood isn't done either, still need to add a blend material to add variation. Still more work to do, but I have enjoyed it so far and have learned some cool new things!

8906Capture.JPG
  • andylisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andylisk polycounter lvl 8
    3127blockout.jpgimage-hosting-view-01.php?id=3127blockout.jpgimage-hosting-view-01.php?id=3127blockout.jpg
    Hi everyone I'm new to polycount. I read up on Kevin Johnstone's modular world building stuff, so I thought it would be a good chance to try this stuff out. This is the second blockout I did, the first one had weird proportions and the scale was bad. I'm more satisfied with this one. On top of that making pipes by following the grid helped a lot, because its so satisfying to see stuff snap perfectly.
  • Beanwright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm a bit late to the party. I started work a couple of days ago but my internet is dying. Anyway here's a blockout WIP. Everything's got projection normal maps on so the tri count for the scene is just under 2k atm. Crits welcome :)

SfZaW.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack Ryan wrote: »
    Wall looks good Alex! The spec that seems to be hitting the crevices between the bricks in the middle seems a bit strong or out of place but otherwise it looks very nice =]

I'll defiantly work on that! The cracks are actually because of the light and the POM. I'm trying to work on my materials and having them read right.

I also just found myself wanting to wipe off the bricks so I feel like I made them dirty enough.
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The cracks aren't part of your diffuse? Could you post your flats?
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    Still got some tweaks left on this one, but its getting there i guess...

Baement_Wall_DIF.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack Ryan wrote: »
    The cracks aren't part of your diffuse? Could you post your flats?

Here Zc4qo.jpg
    The cracks are but what I'm saying is that it's not on the inside, but on the edge of the tiles that the spec is showing up, as it should.
    Also Scribbbblbles I like that a lot.
    Got some crits and changed it. I also never really felt the concept was that stylized, whatever, I wanted to go for a more realistic to practice my texturing. iTRhv.jpg
  • Beanwright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. Started on my floor diffuse maps. At the minute, I'm using soft shade lighting but the speculars etc will look better when the proper lighting is built.

pRpqk.jpg
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    AlexCatMasterSupreme - The wall looks good, but i think the specular is a little bit strong. It look like its wet.

Btw here is my attempt for the wood:
    woodh.jpg
  • freakmean16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it open for everyone????
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Is it open for everyone????

yep
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Here
    The cracks are but what I'm saying is that it's not on the inside, but on the edge of the tiles that the spec is showing up, as it should.
    Got some crits and changed it. I also never really felt the concept was that stylized, whatever, I wanted to go for a more realistic to practice my texturing. iTRhv.jpg

Bricks cant curve at corners.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu wrote: »
    Bricks cant curve at corners.

Yeah I know, I'm going to resolve that don't worry;)

Also Adam just posted our thread! http://www.facebook.com/Polycount
    :)
  • seir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada wrote: »
    Definitely giving this a try

Great to see a modular workflow in the contest. Actually I think this idea is the most usable method when making environments for games. I'm crossing fingers for your success! :)
  • lamar McHaney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    I can't wait to start
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    Have created normal from diffuse and stairs.

1355774059-clip-262kb.jpg?nocache=1
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not gonna pick this one up - too much going on this month and i learned that lesson from that one. don't take on a big timed project during holiday season if you've got kids and crunch at work. >_0

I'll be around critiquing, though! You's guys is making some awesome progress already. Love that so many are starting by pumping out some great textures.
  • Fragbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know a lot of you are past the block out stage, but I'll point this out anyways. A lot of you are trying to align the wall the stairs are attached to, to the wall the door is on. If you look though, those walls aren't aligned. It looks like the door-wall is pushed forward about half a foot. This creates a weird torqued effect when looking at the wooden arch that frames that opening. It also means when blocking it out, you're front left area will look deeper because it's actually correct.
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fragbert wrote: »
    I know a lot of you are past the block out stage, but I'll point this out anyways. A lot of you are trying to align the wall the stairs are attached to, to the wall the door is on. If you look though, those walls aren't aligned. It looks like the door-wall is pushed forward about half a foot. This creates a weird torqued effect when looking at the wooden arch that frames that opening. It also means when blocking it out, you're front left area will look deeper because it's actually correct.

I disagree actually, look at the crossbeam connecting each side of the opening to the back of the basement area, there's no linework implying that the door-wall is closer to the "viewer" than the wall with the stairs - it's merely just wonky perspective work on the artists part...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, yeah, I was going to point out the same thing. I believe they are aligned, the concept artist just whiffed the perspective.
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly the wall that has the door is fine, even if the door is only about 6.25 feet to perspective and most doors we're used to seeing are closer to 7. One of things that throws off the entire picture is how skewed the stairwell is. I've done a few drawings based off of his original perspective and horizon lines and the building comes out to about 40 feet long, 10.5 high and 34 deep. Its a bit strange because his concrete floor is sectioned into what appear to be squares but are actually slightly elongated in the depth field. When you block out the room don't use the stairs as the major frame of reference. Those should go in last. To prove my point just extend out each step to the back, there is no common horizon line that they go to.
  • Kubajaniak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kubajaniak polycounter lvl 8
    Hello.
    This is my first time in competition like this, and i usually make single models, but i want to learn something new, and i think this is good occasion. I made blockout in 3ds max. Every dimension is 2*x, so i think that will be simple to move this to UDK.
    In second screen you can see that camera matching is not perfect, but as i said this is my first time, and i never did it before.

blockp.jpg

block2u.jpg
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Kubanjak: You nailed it, how did you do that? :O
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    My very basic block outCapture3.JPG
    Just took first item into zbrush and baked it down.

Capture4.JPG
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Ignore the persona 4 rainmeter in the corner!

MODgP.jpg
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    I've been mainly trying to do this stuff.
    * Learning Zbrush a bit
    * Learning to Bake a Normal
    * Texturing (mixed between hand painted and photo sourcing)

This is my outcome of the First floor. Hard wooork. lol

learning.jpg

I'd love to show you this in a good way in UDK, but dont know how to set it up! lol

Update: Learned how to do Parallex Mapp in UDK, and tried it out for fun, nothing fancy.

namnlsxq.jpg Borderlandish? lol
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey wirrexx your texture looks good very well painted , if you want to add a bit more dirt or crakcs, I will suggest going with a offset a secondary 'detail' that adds a masked dirt or crakcs based on location.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Rockguy: i'll try to do that. This texture took me about 3 hours to do. So it was hard and fun at the same time!! =)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx wrote: »
    Rockguy: i'll try to do that. This texture took me about 3 hours to do. So it was hard and fun at the same time!! =)

That's what she said.
    What engine are you using?

Edit:
    UDK, nevermind.
    I was gunna link you the Cryengine blend layers stuff.
    Keep it up mate!
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like fun :)

I'm going to give this one a go.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Here Zc4qo.jpg
    Got some crits and changed it. I also never really felt the concept was that stylized, whatever, I wanted to go for a more realistic to practice my texturing.

Hi AlexCatMasterSupreme,
    Just curious, why do we need height map ? Normal map will do the thing right? so whats the height map for ?
    and those walls looks great..
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    cmtanko wrote: »
    Hi AlexCatMasterSupreme,
    Just curious, why do we need height map ? Normal map will do the thing right? so whats the height map for ?

You can use the height map for texturing but the mos useful thing is to make the geometry look like is not flat with the right shader instruction. I have never done this in practice but i believe is similar to the parallax thing.

please correct me someone if I am wrong.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    oh Right, that AO... lol silly me...
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    It's how i have created normal. What do you think about?

1355813831-clip-90kb.jpg?nocache=1
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    This thread is an EXCELLENT reference for people just starting out, and for those who are already decent but need to learn to plan better (Myself). Referring people here =] Keep it up guys.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I've been mainly trying to do this stuff.
    * Learning Zbrush a bit
    * Learning to Bake a Normal
    * Texturing (mixed between hand painted and photo sourcing)

This is my outcome of the First floor. Hard wooork. lol

learning.jpg

I'd love to show you this in a good way in UDK, but dont know how to set it up! lol

Update: Learned how to do Parallex Mapp in UDK, and tried it out for fun, nothing fancy.

namnlsxq.jpg Borderlandish? lol

Looks like good progress! Just something about the specular. You have light info, the white edges, both in your diffuse and in your specular. Think about the material and it's main features is. Sure, you'll have some extra worn to the edges, but we'r talking 10-15% lighter, max. Plus, to make it more interesting, add some big and small details in the specular map.

Also, use reference! :) Create work this far! :)
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some time between today uni assignments to work on some textures, pretty rough so far, not liking the terrakotta-like floor tiles yet :S.

S6NdF.jpg

Plaster Wall
    njQbI.jpg

This floor texture is unique, this is for right below the staircase (other floor textures will be tileable)
    btMCE.jpg
  • Kubajaniak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kubajaniak polycounter lvl 8
    Kubanjak: You nailed it, how did you do that? :O

I just created plain as floor and then rotate, zoom, changing FOV. When it fit to concept i made rest.

Here is same thing in UDK, rest will be create as statistic mesh in 3ds max.

enviudk.jpg
  • Hamza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamza polycounter lvl 5
    a question, how to match the camera of the concept?
    is it me or the concept got some perspective problem?
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    Exported in cryengin.

1355826035-clip-227kb.jpg?nocache=1
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    RobRoy wrote: »
    Exported in cryengin.

1355826035-clip-227kb.jpg?nocache=1

That already looking good just fix the size of the bricks on the wall.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko wrote: »
    Hi AlexCatMasterSupreme,

It's needed for POM and or displacement, at least in Cryengine, I don't see why it would be different in UDK.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    That's what she said.
    What engine are you using?

Edit:
    UDK, nevermind.
    I was gunna link you the Cryengine blend layers stuff.
    Keep it up mate!

Lol, just had to re-answer! :P
  • RobRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    ivanzu wrote: »
    That already looking good just fix the size of the bricks on the wall.

I try to do like at the sketch. The bricks are big on sketch.:icon15: