Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Civil War] LRoy vs. Daphz vs. Afisher vs. Mrskullface

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    She looks great afisher! This is probably a noobish question but I've always been curious about this, for your keyshot render how do you go about posing your high poly model? It's not exact but it's pretty damn close to the marmoset render pose, do you just eyeball it? How hard it is it to pose a model with what I'm going to presume to be millions of polygons? I've tried posing in Zbrush in the past and have had less than stellar results, so I just wonder what magic you use to make it look so awesome :)
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    danm good!!! afisher
  • mat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mat
    sexeh finished piece adam
  • Jamie_h88
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Afisher this is beautiful man.
    *saves to his ref folder*
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    this. is. awesome!
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    daaaaamn son, I think you thoroughly kicked our asses, mr cghub top row :)

I'm still slowly chipping away mine. finally got everything baked down, and (sort of) rigged and skinned. Here's a max xoliul shot:

NOTjoanofarc_test.png

There's a backround thing too with some rocks on it and whatnot.
    I'm still tweaking textures but mostly everything is in place. The spec/gloss on the armor is kind of kicking my ass though. I'm trying to get it to look similar to paintings like this:

tumblr_ml92c69eIU1rb6373o1_1280.jpg
  • BrianP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianP polycounter lvl 7
    daummmmm. love it!
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Really great stuff man... She really got a medieval feel in her face, very nice.
    Good luck with the specular ! Unfortunately in can't help you much on this, but I think it's important to have a first fake layer of specular in your diffuse to make your volumes pop out a bit more (but I assume you was about to do it). Especially this animal head on her right shoulder, which is barely noticeable at the moment.
    Keep it up man, you have a very great model that doesn't fall into clich
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Afisher : Mindblowing, dude. I hate you, what a char..

hey Daphz, Excellent stuff here. good medieval feeling. As for the specular, have you tried using an anisotropic specular to give that brossed impression ? It may work
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent stuff. Especially like Daphz piece, nice to see a change from the scantily clad, mega breasted fantasy women. Reminds me a lot of dark/demon's souls.
  • homrighausen3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homrighausen3d polycounter lvl 5
    Such amazing work in this thread x_x. Lots of inspiration!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Daphz: i'm in love. So much story on that character.
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    daphz wrote: »
    daaaaamn son, I think you thoroughly kicked our asses, mr cghub top row :)

I'm still slowly chipping away mine. finally got everything baked down, and (sort of) rigged and skinned. Here's a max xoliul shot:

NOTjoanofarc_test.png

There's a backround thing too with some rocks on it and whatnot.
    I'm still tweaking textures but mostly everything is in place. The spec/gloss on the armor is kind of kicking my ass though. I'm trying to get it to look similar to paintings like this:

tumblr_ml92c69eIU1rb6373o1_1280.jpg

cannot wait to see the final piece!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I really like that character daphz but I really dont enjoy the chain coming from the nose, its just so big and chunky and just looks like a dark line on her face from a distance. I feel it would look stronger without it but it could just be down to a matter of taste.
  • ashleighmills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashleighmills polycounter lvl 8
    daphz I love where that character is going. That armor is so badass and I love the look of her face. I do agree on the nose chain though, but I think it's a really interesting accessory. It might work better if it was more delicate so you don't see it as much from a distance. I'd try it in gold too.

Like this: crystal_nose_to_ear_chain_9f74fb96.jpg

Keep up the amazing work!
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    @Ged & Ashleighmills - Thanks for the feedback! I shrank down the chain so it's a little more realistic.

@Boozebeard - Yeah man, I love dark souls; still trying to beat it though haha. Keep getting owned by Orenstein and Smough.

@Scythe - I played around with the anisotropy in marmoset. It almost works but my UVz arent all oriented 100% in the same direction so it looks okay in some areas and a little off in some other place. I tried to fake it a bit by putting some brushed metal texture in the gloss map.

Okay, so I think I'm 99% done with this. I decided to not go with the backround I made, and the serpents head; went with something a little more simple.

beauty.png

Just a few more texture tweaks and I'll be done. I think.
    All in marmoset, except the disk behind her head, which is from zbrush, comped in photoshop.
  • JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWarren polycounter lvl 5
    That looks awesome man! I love all the details and the damage on her armor.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    OMG... this is so beautiful, daphz. Congrats!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very cool, I do feel that the lighting is a little bit flat and more like a presentation than a beauty render and theres an odd dark line around her head/hair? the eyes lack specular in this shot for some reason and shes also blending in with her background a bit much in my opinion. Can I post up a little paint over or is that too presumptuous?
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    Wow this is beautiful Daphz, awesome job. I do agree about the lighting looking a bit flat though :D. In the image above, the swords blade in particular feels almost 2D, maybe a bit of rim light would give it a bit more depth ?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    shit sux

lrn 2 3d brah
  • Darkor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkor polycounter lvl 7
    daphz Very nice armor!the only thingis bother me - face proportions, maybe i'm totaly wrong, but:

3290283fd4d55e779dfc456d5398f9b4.jpg
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    You should REALLY get a cube map in there for the reflections to make the metal look believable. Trying to make metal without reflections is like trying swim in dry land.

Also, the dirt on the cloth in front does not match the clean, though bruised, armor on the legs.

Other than that: awesome model. Nice to see a female medieval warrior without her boobs and belly showing.
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    Sick thread, great skills! Subscribed. :D