• kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Decided to just submit the arms as is. I played with some different ways of joining them to his body, but they all looked much more obvious then less. Give it a vote if you like it, thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216257170&searchtext=

E7ayG3J.jpg
  • stkopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4
    If someone interested in blender GLSL shader simular to shader like dota 2 has, welcome here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1986373&postcount=18

(p.s It is not finished. I stopped working on it, so if someone likes this, he or she can renew the work)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Stkopp, I could just kiss you, this is fantastic
    now all I need to do is wrap my head around nodes
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Indeed. Blender users, ahoy!
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff everyone! Hope all of you will make the deadline for the event!
    Submitted my only submission for Spring2014. Couldn't find a way to update the submission with the zipfile from the testclient. Did you guys use the regular way or submit as other?
    AEA32315E9A312EEADEA9F48A13C5EB8D90365F3
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    Posted my set for Ember Spirit! :]

Couldnt find any checkbox for the event though. Hope its enough to just write it in the description and tag the collection page.

0qq0.jpg
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Anyone know if the importer is fixed yet?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Boonta, I'm pretty sure it's not fixed.

Here's a sneak peek treat. Almost done, just putting together the promo work and final touches now. We got our custom particles to work too.

gworks_gif_01.gif
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @zip: FUCK MY LIFE. -.-
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zip dam thats coooool . nice job!
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    First CNY sub so far:

268x268.resizedimage268x268.resizedimage
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Jesus, Zipf. You've gone too far!! jk, Looks great cant wait to see more. Who else worked on this set? this is the first i've seen of it i think.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    Jesus, Zipf. You've gone too far!! jk, Looks great cant wait to see more. Who else worked on this set? this is the first i've seen of it i think.

Ike did the concepts and a friend I work with did the particles that I haven't shown yet outside of the hangout.

I've posted updates on the set about once a week in here but things get buried pretty quickly sometimes in here. I've streamed nearly the whole creation of the set in the hangout over the last 2 weeks though.
  • Mr.Paradoxic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question time !

Guys, i see the WIP from the pros and all of them paint their textures with ALOT of specular and shadow information. What is the dota 2 shader for then ? Should i do the same too ?

Also, Zip mentionned CUSTOM PARTICLE EFFECT ???? We can do that now ?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, Zip mentionned CUSTOM PARTICLE EFFECT ???? We can do that now ?

There's no official support for submitting them yet but we know how to make and test them and we thought they'd compliment the set well so we're going for it.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the particles something that work when you upload? Or do you have to send them to Valve and hope they use them?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    Are the particles something that work when you upload? Or do you have to send them to Valve and hope they use them?

There's no official way to upload particles so we're just sticking them in the .rar file generated by the Dota 2 Test client importer (Because main client is still broken). We have the particles working in the test client though when you play the game.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last min single item. Windrunner bow, concept by Mango. Time to low poly
    SpringBowWip3.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    kite212 wrote: »
    Last min single item. Windrunner bow, concept by Mango. Time to low poly
    Those horse details are really weak, you should push them out some more, or they'll smudge from the normals and won't be visible ingame.

In other news, now my ingame test crashes too. Welp.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    What are the chances they extend the deadline? They did with the polycount contest purely for quality purposes...
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those horse details are really weak, you should push them out some more, or they'll smudge from the normals and won't be visible ingame.

In other news, now my ingame test crashes too. Welp.

Was just thinking that myself :) So I some testing for someone else, it seems the texture issue was happening with fbx, and not smd, but I dont think it will help your crash sadly
    darkkyo wrote: »
    What are the chances they extend the deadline? They did with the polycount contest purely for quality purposes...

If this is extended it will not be for quality reasons, so much good stuff.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo wrote: »
    Why would they? Announcement was on December 18, 2013, so almost a whole month to complete your stuff.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Why would they? Announcement was on December 18, 2013, so almost a whole month to complete your stuff.

maybe because the importer hasn't really been reliable for the last week?

oh, speaking of which...I just got word that submissions will be accepted past the deadline. How far past, I do not know, but probably at least a couple days due to the issues we've all been having.

I say still aim to have everything in Wednesday, just in case.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    maybe because the importer hasn't really been reliable for the last week?
    Because waiting till the last moment is always a great idea!
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18

A Month with Christmas Holidays in the middle, wich makes a lot of difference...the effective time i could work on the even stuff wasn't more than 2 weeks.
    Plus like BounchFX said since last update it's almost impossible to anyone to import their items correclty...i don't why they shouldn't at least extend until they fix the damn importer so people can actually post things.
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    A Month with Christmas Holidays in the middle, wich makes a lot of difference...the effective time i could work on the even stuff wasn't more than 2 weeks.
    Plus like BounchFX said since last update it's almost impossible to anyone to import their items correclty...i don't why they shouldn't at least extend until they fix the damn importer so people can actually post things.

I get the feeling Vlad doesn't celebrate Christmas.
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh Vlad not everyone is able to get their items in 2 weeks before the deadline is up. As someone who does this after hours from their day job i'm really needing every hour I can get. With the importer completely broken a day before the due date extending it seems quite a good thing to do until the importer is up and running correctly.

Thats great to hear that they are working on a importer fix bounch and that they will continue accepting after the due date. While its semi unofficial its things/times like this that I wish valve would communicate a bit more with the community that they reached out too to make items for this event.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Boonta wrote: »
    ...I wish valve would communicate a bit more with the community that they reached out too to make items for this event.

Totally with you on this one. Despite there being multiple threads on multiple forums, as well as the dev.dota Workshop forums about this issue, there has still been no real official confirmation that the importer issues are known about or being looked into which. I had earmarked last weekend to get my items in-game but instead spent all my time trying various fixes to get everything working, to no avail :(
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Primrose was kind enough to let me know that he was told by Finol that the date due is still the 15th, but by the end of the day, so pretty much all the way up until the 16th.

I for one hope it's a little more generous.. this is of course assuming we can submit properly that day. Just wanted to give you guys an update.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The test client is working (at least for me it is) so people can always snag some good pics from the testclient and submit through the main client and then update the files when the itemtester in the main client is working again. Or submit as other and add the zipfile generated from the test client. The main concern should be getting the submission in on time and tagged as Spring2014 which devs has to do manually.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I am sadly on mobile connection last days with 64bit bandwidth haha, but maybe it would work if someone that have working importer would send their dota bin folder ziped? Probably all files needed for compilation are there, that could work, at least worth to make a backup and overwrite those files :( Mine is 92MB so its not that bad
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Paskie wrote: »
    The test client is working (at least for me it is) so people can always snag some good pics from the testclient and submit through the main client and then update the files when the itemtester in the main client is working again. Or submit as other and add the zipfile generated from the test client. The main concern should be getting the submission in on time and tagged as Spring2014 which devs has to do manually.

Not if you're working on LC, she's not in the test client =/ .

This importer glitch is really bumming me out, I can't check my stuff in-game to see if it's working properly or not; and the deadline is less than 48 hours away? :/
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished and published the Emperor's Fury for Sniper...
    Concepted by Robo.
    Link on the image.

sniper_rifle_big.jpg

Plus a couple of gif

sniper_ingame.gif
    sniper_ingame2.gif
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    nice work andrea. i hope my ogremagi mace doesnt look too similar, yet dragons are dragons ;)

china-newyear-mace1.jpg

i might be a little overboard with my detailed retopo, propably need to reduce once more when mirrored
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not if you're working on LC, she's not in the test client =/ .

This importer glitch is really bumming me out, I can't check my stuff in-game to see if it's working properly or not; and the deadline is less than 48 hours away? :/

Oh man, sorry to hear that. Have you checked if you can enable LC in the scripts? We used to do that with CK before he got released. It's worth a shot.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you guys are still having problems with the importer, Try only importing SMD files I've found that they never have problems and still work with the current importer.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    If you guys are still having problems with the importer, Try only importing SMD files I've found that they never have problems and still work with the current importer.

I can confirm that, I'm testing my Luna set nonstop since yesterday without issues yet.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why does everyone NOT use SMD files anyway? everytime I ask it's always an FBX breaking or something.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mostly 'cause I haven't gotten around to writing an SMD exporter for MODO :P
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard all the SMD tools for maya are also very finicky
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll make a stab at a MODO one soon - I learned a lot from writing an SMD importer which should help (it's not ready for primetime release yet, still got a few oddities and doesn't yet support animation).
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I heard all the SMD tools for maya are also very finicky

In some reguard, yes.
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Motenai - That cannon came out awesome!

Konras - sadies mentioned you asked about the scales on the mount. I just sculpted them straight in with claytubes and dam standard, which is why they're a little wonky ;)

Finalized the textures for the Mirana mount I made for a set with sadies (she's doing everything else). I'm also hoping they'll give us a little more lee-way with submissions after all the importer bugs!

There's an ingame pic in my workshop thread if anyone's interested.

mirana_mount_marmoset2.jpg
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Rubus wrote: »
    I can confirm that, I'm testing my Luna set nonstop since yesterday without issues yet.

REALLY?! Psyched to try this when I get back from work tonight then - been pulling my hair out looking for workarounds to get my items submitted. I was indeed using .FBX as well.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before? I am trying to sort out the particles on my Kunkka sword, and I noticed something strange. When I import the sword and test it ingame, everything is as expected but the more additional items I add from my set, the more the particle effect increases. On the screenshot, left is just the sword, middle is the sword and 2 items, and right is all the items.

I am trying to make a promo video, and would really like to have the correct particle effect displayed =/ I've also tried importing something else and using the sword as an additional item but in this case, the particle effect doesn't display at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rPlWEL1.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hawt @Rubus, do the textures show up as intended? Or is it just without the crashes that some people are experiencing? If the textures are showing up in the main client with SMD I'll give that a go too. Might be that we have to update our fbx exporters, that cleared up some problems i had a while ago.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    I had an issue with crashing while testing my items ingame a while ago, but the dev that was looking into it said it had nothing to with the exporter, but something about the game core memory management (and it's solved by the way, shoutout to Robin Walker for being such a helpful fella).

That is, I never experienced any issues with my SMD exporter for Blender, always worked like charm.