Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    rebelholic wrote: »
    I hope anyone can help me to solve this problem also I already submitted to steam workshop.

Please check out: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216782028

Don't forget give constructive feedback

Before you submit there should be portrait option, just browse through every page in the importer. When you find the correct button, probably labeled something like portrait, you can edit the portrait using Valve's light system. You can change camera angles, light intensity, etc.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it has nothing to do with daedalus because daedalus is a crossbow
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    If this is your argument you should have given the whole horse more of a brush stroke feel, and break up the overall darkness of it's body. Right now it just looks like a regular horse with hooves dipped in white paint.

Okay let's forget it's a magical horse, if i do it with brush effect it will require
    that same effect on the tail and mane like chaos knight, this means extra work
    for possibly more artisitic issues, like why it doesn't drip ink on the ground, or how it doesn't stain ezalor's robe, if it's a shadow (because it will be purely black)...

I changed the description to something more specific: it's one of the descendants of
    Bai ti wu, the Tang dynasty first emperor's horse.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    PKSpark wrote:
    I changed the description to something more specific: it's one of the descendants of
    Bai ti wu, the Tang dynasty first emperor's horse.

Not to pick on you PKSpark, but I've seen this a couple times now, the lore of the items interacting with actual Chinese history and events, and personally this sounds fishy..

To some extent, I imagine the Chinese influence is safe, obviously design,lettering (might be pushing it),etc, but with lore is this okay? I always imagined the event was to create items with the re-imagining of what the Chinese New Year would look like in the Dota2 universe. This would make the Chinese lore irrelevant, but the themes of the important part.

I don't think the Tang dynasty horse jumped dimensions and had offspring there. I think it would be safer to use either an actual chinese name, or just make something up. I imagine it's dangerous to combine lores, I've gotten a few flames on the items I posted about lore, and it is one of the only requirements that Valve makes for the items. Best to just have all the ducks in a row.
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Not to pick on you PKSpark, but I've seen this a couple times now, the lore of the items interacting with actual Chinese history and events, and personally this sounds fishy..

To some extent, I imagine the Chinese influence is safe, obviously design,lettering (might be pushing it),etc, but with lore is this okay? I always imagined the event was to create items with the re-imagining of what the Chinese New Year would look like in the Dota2 universe. This would make the Chinese lore irrelevant, but the themes of the important part.

I don't think the Tang dynasty horse jumped dimensions and had offspring there. I think it would be safer to use either an actual chinese name, or just make something up. I imagine it's dangerous to combine lores, I've gotten a few flames on the items I posted about lore, and it is one of the only requirements that Valve makes for the items. Best to just have all the ducks in a row.

So let's say he is "similar" or "based" to Bai Ti wu.
    I wish i could stick to the magical horse,
    but giving the source is the only way to explain that style of leaving
    the horse clear hooved...
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    @PKSpark.

In the same way that Kite said that the only justification for the horse was the image, this argument about the Lore is similar to that as well.

The piece should be able to be read artistically for what it is on first pass, and then the lore should just serve as flavor text for what you did. Justifying the entire piece based off lore flavor text isn't going to help the piece along, I think a keen solution would be what Kite mentioned with the defined brush strokes, and inkly impressionist look.
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    So has anyone figured out the Spring2014 tag problem yet? Valve manually added the tag to my courier just after I uploaded it, but I just updated the file to fix an issue and the tag is gone again.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Hudston wrote: »
    So has anyone figured out the Spring2014 tag problem yet? Valve manually added the tag to my courier just after I uploaded it, but I just updated the file to fix an issue and the tag is gone again.

That's pretty shitty. I just checked and this indeed appears to be the case. kendmd uploaded some updates to our Enchantress spear and I just noticed that it's not tagged anymore ):
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    belkun wrote: »
    That's pretty shitty. I just checked and this indeed appears to be the case. kendmd uploaded some updates to our Enchantress spear and I just noticed that it's not tagged anymore ):

It doesn't help that my courier is also not even tagged as a courier, as I submitted it while the importer was broken. Hopefully Valve will fix this soon, I'd hate for them to miss our work just because we updated it!
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    belkun wrote: »
    Valve is working on the Spring 2014 tag, so you could update existing submissions with and add it to the new ones.
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zambash polycounter lvl 4
    Okay, so the importer indeed works now, textures showing up fine, I have a centaur weapon that I am trying to upload, and though the textures work now I am having some issues with the rigging. I haven't had any issues with other items or other heroes, but with centaur it seems like some bones work for rigging and some just don't. The weapon bone is one of those, when I bind my weapon to the weapon bone it seems to just be bound to the root bone on import. It works to bind it to a bicep bone, though obviously that's not what I want, but doesn't work to bind it to a wrist bone. Does anyone know how to get rigging of a centaur weapon to work?
  • BANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh boy! so many amazing items.

Gaiascope
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! I made those changes.

Concept by Fudgie Wudgie:

ac191b09cd.png

8e591a8cc5.png

And here's how the models turned out so far, C&C welcome:

f5f495959c.jpg

c4be277b3f.jpg

6e72725b44.jpg

Luckily the deadline got extended, I just realized the summon Serpent Ward (Dragon for this set) needs a custom rig and animations.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, Dota workshop is Brutal! My stats keep going down (one is at 50/50 right now). Never had it this bad at TF2.

Anyone mind giving me a critique on my items. I know they don't compete with a lot of stuff on there but the staff has very little room for large details. The hair, well it's mostly hair but it sticks to his palette and silhouette well.
    As far as that goes I think I matched them up to the originals pretty well (the originals also don't have much detail, though his hood does have more texture than my hair)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Voodoo_Daddy/myworkshopfiles/

I suppose I'll try SFM for a few shots once I get my current item done.
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Baddcog I think your colors look a little flat, try playing around with gradients of color to add interest and depth. Also I think the yellow parts should be made more of a metallic gold.
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Hey, uploaded that lc weapon !

CF2FAB729B9E32C846A0D9D4BF000B633897691E

Link to the workshop

and a gif!

551533e4a5.gif

How do you tell valve to add the special spring 2014 tag? anyone knows?

Thanks a lot!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BladeofEvilsBane,

Thanks, I'll take another look at it.
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DELETED

Fixed the problem.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Zambash wrote: »
    Okay, so the importer indeed works now, textures showing up fine, I have a centaur weapon that I am trying to upload, and though the textures work now I am having some issues with the rigging. I haven't had any issues with other items or other heroes, but with centaur it seems like some bones work for rigging and some just don't. The weapon bone is one of those, when I bind my weapon to the weapon bone it seems to just be bound to the root bone on import. It works to bind it to a bicep bone, though obviously that's not what I want, but doesn't work to bind it to a wrist bone. Does anyone know how to get rigging of a centaur weapon to work?

Chill out on the spam dude. My money would be on outdated files. Decompile a newer centaur weapon and use that for reference.
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just uploaded a weapon for centaur:

DKi4bcU.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just uploaded a weapon for centaur:

That promo could use some love. It is too dark, paint the metal parts to better show how shiny they really will be. The red border around the entire item is not helping you. You should be giving the item a sense of rim lighting, not just a flat color. As for the item, you went clean for the most part, but then you have these out of place scratches/cracks on the blade part. I think the blade would benefit more from a good gradient as opposed to the out of place details. here is your benchmark, thank Robo

268x268.resizedimage

Edit: and at least paint out those texture seams in the promo, did you give enough padding?
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, I thought I did, you can't see them in game, thanks for the tips, I will definitely make a better promo image!

EDIT:
    Also I cleaned up the blade and it does look a bit nicer, though now I think I might have it slightly too clean, gonna have to play with it a bit.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, I thought I did, you can't see them in game, thanks for the tips, I will definitely make a better promo image!

EDIT:
    Also I cleaned up the blade and it does look a bit nicer, though now I think I might have it slightly too clean, gonna have to play with it a bit.

Alot of dota items are pretty clean, but it is all about balance :) as for the seams they probably don't show in game, i just meant in the promo, viewport shaders tend to do this sometimes. You probablly dont see them in the 512 image, but they are mor noticable in the larger one posted
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, here is my second attempt:
    OrV7lWE.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, here is my second attempt:

That is much better
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i finally got something done for spring 2014 :)
    AF6F5B5E280EDF13C78022E0AA76A38F064556D1
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    That is much better

:D Thx for the advice.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to get fancy with a new unwrap and failed a bunch, did squeeze out a few more pixels from it at least. All these maps are place holder garbage. Handplane likes to give me bad tangents all the time, even if it had just worked, so this was just to test the new scaling done to the bow.

BowWip2.jpg
  • rebelholic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Hey, uploaded that lc weapon !

CF2FAB729B9E32C846A0D9D4BF000B633897691E

Link to the workshop

and a gif!

551533e4a5.gif

How do you tell valve to add the special spring 2014 tag? anyone knows?

Thanks a lot!
    Me too. How I can add spring 2014 tag for my ward?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    I just made a collection, collections have spring tag
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    rebelholic wrote: »
    Me too. How I can add spring 2014 tag for my ward?

I just uploaded the weapon, and wrote on the description that it was for the Spring 2014 event and today it has the tag, I think valve is doing it manually.

Good luck!
  • improviz
  • sellwynloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have been working on an alchemist set. Started not too long ago,its currently half way through already but I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys.:)

My concept in a nut shell.
    As we all know that the young alchemist Razzil is sort of a genius. Turns out that aside of chemistry, he too excels at the sciences of black smiting and weapon making but was never able to do so because he lacks the physical ability to execute his brilliant designs. Upon saving the imprisoned ogre, the plan was finally made possible. With the brains of young Razzil and brawn's of the mighty ogre, they started out with their very first project...

Work in progress
    Here's my situation, I din't really worked with any concept arts other than some random doodles on my sketchbook that only I can understand. So in some ways, I kind of jumped in to modeling and experimenting right away. I am currently at the modeling stage and will be moving into UV unwrapping and sculpting upon finishing the base models. I have yet to figure out the potion bottles and the alchemist body part. So its probably gonna take a long way more. On the bright side, here's what I have thus far,

Various angles
    3okc.jpg
    8gv0.jpg

Silhouette for readability
    6k9o.jpg

Renders for fun
    iy8t.jpg

Some difficulties
    gxj8.jpg
    This is pretty much the area that I would love some feedback. Basically, I am very unsure with the design of the bracers and the mask. I have tried a number of designs but din't end up with something that I fancy. Design 1 is actually supposed to be like a bracer with a container containing some magical chemical steroid thing that is constantly pumped into the ogre for some extra energy. As for the mask, its supposed to be a pimped up welding mask thing. My main concerns are whether if the message comes across and if it fits the overall look. Let me know what you guys think.

Let me know what you guys think and feel free to point out what I am doing wrong or any areas that I can improve on. Thanks a million in advance :)
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    when i important a ward to the ingame preview and then open the portrait editor it shows my ward totaly black, like there would be zero light. i also tested it with the sir frosty that was working - and it was the same. does anyone of u have the same problem?

ps: the new rare idle for clockwerk scout

idle%20alt3.gif
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I was getting pure black on item previews also. But that was for a weapon, just trying to find a good way to get a nice render. Gave up...

I assume it's just another bug and they'll fix.
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Hey you guys, im still working on my legion commander blade.
    I like it so far, textures are more or less wip. But im not really sure where to go from
    here to make the textures more interesting.

UJoqPMG.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
  • Rocket_Science
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    heyah guys, some WIP. Would be thankful for your feedback.
    tdU57wiBhCw.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit wrote: »
    Hey you guys, im still working on my legion commander blade.
    I like it so far, textures are more or less wip. But im not really sure where to go from
    here to make the textures more interesting.

UJoqPMG.jpg
    Add ambient occlusion, for starters.
    heyah guys, some WIP. Would be thankful for your feedback.
    Mushy and pretty low detailed.
    This is how a skullshield should look
    Cosmetic_icon_Shield_of_the_Drake.png
  • CiDDi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Has anybody successfully imported a Loading Screen to the Workshop?

I've saved an image as a 2048x1024 .PNG (tried both 8 and 16-bit versions, compressed and uncompressed) and am getting the error:

ERROR
    Failed to check out
    resource\flash\images\workshop\loadingscreen_preview.png in P4

Is this a bug or just me being daft?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    I think it needs to end with the suffix _loadingscreen
    yours ends with _preview
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I've finished my only entry for the event, introducing the Festive Follower

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=217137164
    B8E5BFB97BC5014A82C80E3E94B97A00040C7BA8
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP wrote: »
    Has anybody successfully imported a Loading Screen to the Workshop?

I've saved an image as a 2048x1024 .PNG (tried both 8 and 16-bit versions, compressed and uncompressed) and am getting the error:

ERROR
    Failed to check out
    resource\flash\images\workshop\loadingscreen_preview.png in P4

Is this a bug or just me being daft?
    just name it loadingscreen.png and import
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it needs to end with the suffix _loadingscreen
    yours ends with _preview

Hmm - I dont think that's it as my image is named test_loadingscreen.png - I'm not actally sure what "loadingscreen_preview.png" is TBH

To test - I made a new folder and copied in my "test_loadingscreen.png" file and got an Error

"Required File Not Found! Cannot find a required file with the following name: loadingscreen.png"

...making a copy of the file and naming it loadingscreen.png and trying to import the "test_loadingscreen.png" again, gives me the

"ERROR
    Failed to check out
    resource\flash\images\workshop\loadingscreen_preview.png in P4"

error again :(
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @FAT_CAP Vlad is right. All you need is one image named loadingscreen.png nothing more. Most likely it should be 16:9 and the importer will preview it for you in 16:10 and 4:3 ratios.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    yeah I can barely remember anything from submitting my loading screen so I'm just dumb
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just name it loadingscreen.png and import

Hmm - wierd - I've tried that and still got the same error. Would anybody mind doing a quick test and downloading the file and trying to import it on their end? It would save me hours of hair pulling I'm sure!

Link here...
    [EDIT]Deleted[/EDIT]
  • kanser03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanser03 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys, I need some help... I am making a shoulder armor for sven and there is a strap for it. How can I bind the shoulder part to the skeleton (Bicep skeleton let's say) but not allowing the strap to move along with it.

http://i39.tinypic.com/28hinpx.jpg

And how to add weight on the vertices of the item? I want the clothe part to sway when he moves... Thanks guys.
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We made blue style ;3
    Power of the Blue Horse
    W97S7bGAjiY.jpg

doc47308563_261794638?hash=57061ab2bcf24a24b2&dl=7b83ea3fbce6ef09d8&wnd=1
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP wrote: »
    Hmm - wierd - I've tried that and still got the same error. Would anybody mind doing a quick test and downloading the file and trying to import it on their end? It would save me hours of hair pulling I'm sure!

Link here...
    http://www.samchester.co.uk/wip/loadingscreen.png
    fZFKJEP.jpg