WITH THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE

Sick sword by the way. Foxclover did an amazing job with the concept
    Thanks! You can show the appreciation here
    7610E3A3FCC9D2B390B3DED1ACC5C57CAC2B5E34
  • AS2IA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    Ok something is weird here. Checked StudioCompiller (wanted decompile some masks from ingame) and somehow it is able to decompile models as always, but suddenly it stopped decompiling textures... from what I observed something happened with vtf2tga.exe which StudioCompilled uses for decompiling vtf to tga files. Probably what is happening with all those gray models is that exe responsible for opposite process also stopped working for those people... Coincidence... I don't think so :D Or I am doing something wrong here :D

You seem to be on something here, I am missing the same file in my dota 2 bin folder while in my tf2 and csgo bin folders both of them contain the same file albeit different file sizes. I tried copying them in the dota 2 folder but they don't seem compatible. Also the verifying game integrity does nothing as I can still play games, so vtf2tga.exe may not be a central component in the game.
  • stkopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4
  • Darren Pinard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darren Pinard polycounter lvl 3
    AS2IA wrote: »
    You seem to be on something here, I am missing the same file in my dota 2 bin folder while in my tf2 and csgo bin folders both of them contain the same file albeit different file sizes. I tried copying them in the dota 2 folder but they don't seem compatible. Also the verifying game integrity does nothing as I can still play games, so vtf2tga.exe may not be a central component in the game.

Does this missing file still exist in the Dota 2 test client?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Ok something is weird here. Checked StudioCompiller (wanted decompile some masks from ingame) and somehow it is able to decompile models as always, but suddenly it stopped decompiling textures... from what I observed something happened with vtf2tga.exe which StudioCompilled uses for decompiling vtf to tga files. Probably what is happening with all those gray models is that exe responsible for opposite process also stopped working for those people... Coincidence... I don't think so :D Or I am doing something wrong here :D

Unless I missed something major from one of the updates dota 2 still does not have an sdk, so your StudioCompiler should be using the Alien Swarm sdk. Dota 2 does not have a vtf2tga.exe. If anything the importer issue could be tied to vtex.exe as that should be the tool it is using to convert the tga to the final vtf.
    Does this missing file still exist in the Dota 2 test client?

You are not missing anything, Dota 2 does not have a full sdk. It does not have a vtf2tga.exe. This executable has nothing to do with the current issue. If anything it would be vtex.exe that is the issue. If someone does not care, copy the vtex.exe from the test client bin folder to the main client bin folder to see if that makes a difference
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Finished the texture of this.

WUnWtCK.png
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »

Stunning work, can't wait to see it in game
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

WUnWtCK.png

Keep up with the great work! Loving it.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3

WUnWtCK.png

I really hope you recorded the retopo and UV of this. Considering how well it looks!
  • AS2IA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    Unless I missed something major from one of the updates dota 2 still does not have an sdk, so your StudioCompiler should be using the Alien Swarm sdk. Dota 2 does not have a vtf2tga.exe. If anything the importer issue could be tied to vtex.exe as that should be the tool it is using to convert the tga to the final vtf.

You are not missing anything, Dota 2 does not have a full sdk. It does not have a vtf2tga.exe. This executable has nothing to do with the current issue. If anything it would be vtex.exe that is the issue. If someone does not care, copy the vtex.exe from the test client bin folder to the main client bin folder to see if that makes a difference

Yea upon some more research it seems to be only a converter of formats, got my hopes up.
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Seems like it's bizarre error o'clock over here...

I'm getting this error:

Error in FBX Conversion: - "Too many skin weights on some vertices, maximum is 3 weights per vertex
    "

Which makes perfect sense, except that it only occurs when I try to import with the turn poses. If I don't include turn poses then it imports just fine. Surely that error would only apply if the fbx containing the mesh had the problem?

Any advice before I pull out all of my hair?

EDIT: I should mention that this is in the Test Client as I believe the main client is still borked.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @kite212 Yes vtf2tga.exe and vtex.exe are different executable files, however I am not sure if they both dont refer to external libraries in dll files that could have been corrupted in latest updates... :/ Ehh I hope this bug will be soon fixed, and everyone will be able to upload those models that he worked so hard during last weeks.

Anyway I managed to finally upload KOTL head piece that I have been working on.
    Workshop Link
    6B28AF3A91EAA34AEFD160D5C22AC03116B384C2
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    268x268.resizedimage

Links to a Lina head.

And sucks that there's so many problems 2 days before the deadline! Can't even tag items even though the patch notes stated there being a checkbox!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kite212 Yes vtf2tga.exe and vtex.exe are different executable files, however I am not sure if they both dont refer to external libraries in dll files that could have been corrupted in latest updates... :/ Ehh I hope this bug will be soon fixed, and everyone will be able to upload those models that he worked so hard during last weeks.

Anyway I managed to finally upload KOTL head piece that I have been working on.

Kotl head turned out really nice :thumbup: Can some one with the grey texture issue confirm that the output has proper vtf's? If these are fine in the directory then that should rule out that portion of the importer tool.If Valve has reproduced the issue they should be able to determine what is the cause, and hopefully fix it tomorrow.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Plant Thank you. Fixed the link. I definitely need some mana (sleep) ^^'
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Konras, I just became very sad :(

Been crackin' my skull for 3 days just trying to get Max to export properly instead of working on my items which is similar but yours looks better.
  • FudgieWudgie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some last minute single item concepts for the Spring 2014 event
    Headress for Naga Siren (full set here, but decided to just go with the headress if anyone is interested!)
    c74696c724.png
    And a weapon for Slark!
    309f428e4a.png
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    has anyone had any luck getting particles to show up for ember spirits weapons?

i did a test the other night making a simple mesh binding it to the same joint as the weapon then exporting this out as _fx.fbx as per workshop guidelines but no fx shows up.
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Downloaded and update but still getting gray textures :-(
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    ok I'm still unsure as to how we get our items individually tagged for the spring event, because mine still haven't been tagged and I'm starting to worry with the approaching deadline
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Power of the Red Horse
    A3AC0AE85836612D923AA1F932A31D4E636CB09D

doc47308563_260497829?hash=8356b2e546d23cdd1a&dl=af493d36212d50d63a&wnd=1

Soon for Warlock when valve fix game workshop;\
    ixfmB2TIgRA.jpg
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    working on enchantress hair, thoughts?

7gFFh7K.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    Power of the Red Horse
    A3AC0AE85836612D923AA1F932A31D4E636CB09D

doc47308563_260497829?hash=8356b2e546d23cdd1a&dl=af493d36212d50d63a&wnd=1

Soon for Warlock when valve fix game workshop;\
    ixfmB2TIgRA.jpg

That Phantom Lancer weapon is pure gold dude! So awesome!
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth wrote: »
    working on enchantress hair, thoughts?

:thumbup:
    That Phantom Lancer weapon is pure gold dude! So awesome!

So many good items from you guys, if there is a chest this event you could fill one
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    Power of the Red Horse - looks sick! nice work
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Working on base texture. I need to work on that headdress transition though. =/

naga_cny_003.jpg
  • DoubleLeaf
  • ike_ike
  • DoubleLeaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh dang! Thanks for letting me know!
  • Nyshachor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm how can you poast something. I need to authorize my account by posting something. Please help. axonphoenix@hotmail.com
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Motenai: Woow so good, great work :)
    Konras: Ah! Ezalor looks adorable!! This hair style suits him perfectly.

We're almost done with the collection ^^

ywZNwLo.jpg7BdLNTz.jpg06uA4uu.jpgQAsepNG.jpg
  • espaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    espaki polycounter lvl 3
    ok I'm still unsure as to how we get our items individually tagged for the spring event, because mine still haven't been tagged and I'm starting to worry with the approaching deadline

I'm pretty sure this is being handled by someone at Valve. I put my item in a collection and added the tag to the collection (the tag should be available to everyone there). I also mentioned the spring 2014 event in my item description. A couple days after uploading the tag appeared on the item itself.

A couple days later I updated my item and the tag disappeared again, and it was another 3-4 days or so before the tag appeared again.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk wrote: »
    Motenai: Woow so good, great work :)
    Konras: Ah! Ezalor looks adorable!! This hair style suits him perfectly.

We're almost done with the collection ^^

So excited to see the final 2. Great job you guys, what an excellent team.

Not nearly as exciting as this collection, but we uploaded our 2 other Gyro pieces.

Links to workshop:
    WingsPromo.jpg

HatPromo.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mzbyyu0itO1r43xj0o1_1280.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216130349

Head of the Stampede
    Another gimmicky item for the Spring event
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    tumblr_mz6342FG1v1rwocuuo1_250.pngtumblr_mz6342FG1v1rwocuuo2_250.png

Still having issues with particles not loading on Chaos Knight.
    Anybody got any ideas?

I've put it in Dota2Test as well and get the same results. :S
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Guys,

I was trying to import a crystal maiden staff, but it seems I can't get the textures working properly. It's just a tets for the lod_1 but the texture is all messed up.

Tried to load Valve's own model and texctures, but it had exactly the same problems.
    Can someone try if he got the same issues? I will post it on the dota2dev than..

Nevermind it's probably because of the new update... :s
  • Kraken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    That's what I call competition! So many awesome works!
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    So I haven't been on the workshop in a while. Recently I noticed they have made many changes to it and a lot of items that used to be available for purchase, no longer show up. Also Skele king seemed to be replaced with wraith king and necro got a name change??
    What's this all about and how does it effect items that are not longer available or skele king items when he longer exist?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Clyptic wrote: »
    What's this all about and how does it effect items that are not longer available or skele king items when he longer exist?
    dota_item_remains_of_the_dreadknight_set_large.2e481cd6e19718e5fca97047a412ce85a3f5b749.png
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, guys!
    Wow, I'm beginning to feel bad that I haven't been doing more dota 2 weapons and stuff, the quality around here just keeps increasing :/ Keep up the good work, guys!

I just finished my first dota 2 courier. It was fun and I learned a lot. Plus, I got to do some animations too ;) His name is Bahafar and he's a mix between a turtle and a dragon.
    Hope you like it!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216164339
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt80xJlyNPo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt80xJlyNPo[/ame]
    TurtleDragonTurntable.jpg
    TurtleDragonScreenshots.jpg
  • Joker_47
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zambash polycounter lvl 4
    Turtle looks good, maybe bump up the color a little more though as he looks a bit monochromatic in game.

Also, textures are still broken for me, anyone found a way to resolve the issue or we still just waiting on Gabe to fix it?
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zambash wrote: »
    Turtle looks good, maybe bump up the color a little more though as he looks a bit monochromatic in game.

Also, textures are still broken for me, anyone found a way to resolve the issue or we still just waiting on Gabe to fix it?

Are there .vtf files located in Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\materials\models\items\HeroName\0x0161e93e\ItemName

if not then the issue could be with the main clients vtex.exe, but since my importer works I can not test any workarounds
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I have found two work arounds (thanks to kite212 :) )

1: (load a hat) I can export an smd, and the textures show right in game (though bones are broken).
    Then I can copy those textures (from folder kite mentioned).

Then export an FBX (bones work, tex broken). (use same import name so fbx over rides the smd import).

Then paste the old smd textures over the new fbx textures.

Load a weapon now and choose add another item and pick the hat from above.

=========
    Use the dota_test client and fbx texture imports fine.

Then past
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Joker_4:

A first step would be to refrain copy/pasting images on your works - other than obvious intellectual property issues, it really doesn't look good.

Try making stuff of your own, even if it doesn't look good at first, if you keep using external assets you won't improve your skills.

Some progress on the mount. I'm still not happy with the fur under the saddle, I'll be trying some variations now.

I'm also going to add some leopard spots on the mount to see how it'll look, as its fur is somewhat bland as of now.

So here it goes, suggestions are welcome :)

11932325826_341e38bb00_z.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus wrote: »
    @Joker_4:

A first step would be to refrain copy/pasting images on your works - other than obvious intellectual property issues, it really doesn't look good.

Try making stuff of your own, even if it doesn't look good at first, if you keep using external assets you won't improve your skills.

For Dota you should really not be photo-sourcing your textures at all. You should be getting your lighting and details from baked normals, hand sculpted high poly is the way to go. And if you are not good at hand painting textures still let the materials do all the work with a method similar to this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=123397498#19244
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Fu Manchu for Necro?

necrobeard_by_terrormokes-d721s6z.jpg
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    BACC7661B955EA52316DECD6903AF3C346045F23

Done-ish! The importer is still not working for me so I had to upload the zip file made by the test client, so it's not tagged as a courier, and I have no idea how to tag it with Spring2014...

But yeah, aside from that it's done! :D
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Baddcog wrote: »
    I have found two work arounds (thanks to kite212 :) )

1: (load a hat) I can export an smd, and the textures show right in game (though bones are broken).
    Then I can copy those textures (from folder kite mentioned).

Then export an FBX (bones work, tex broken). (use same import name so fbx over rides the smd import).

Then paste the old smd textures over the new fbx textures.

Load a weapon now and choose add another item and pick the hat from above.

=========
    Use the dota_test client and fbx texture imports fine.

Then past

Tried the first one and im getting dota crashes :(, did valve told anyone a solution for the gray textures problem?

There is one more day till the event ends :(