Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    I really like the Natures Prophet that made it in. He has a really relaxed vibe.

I'm just finishing up this Sniper set and moving into creating the marketing material.

72li.jpg
    wapx.jpg
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Oh baby
    4fqtXkS.jpg

And the sculpting is here
    Death Prophet goes shopping - YouTube

Hey Vlad, did you record the lowpoly/alpha process by any chance? I've never understood how to alpha something with thickness and I feel pretty dumb not getting it. Aren't backfaces visible at most angles, or is the mesh planar where it needs alpha? I tried doing the latter with an item and the silhouette turned out awful :/
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    Hey Vlad, did you record the lowpoly/alpha process by any chance? I've never understood how to alpha something with thickness and I feel pretty dumb not getting it. Aren't backfaces visible at most angles, or is the mesh planar where it needs alpha? I tried doing the latter with an item and the silhouette turned out awful :/
    Hey man, sorry, i didn't, but let me explain.
    My first retopo was way too detailed, partly because i thought that if the default has holes modeled in, i can do it too. WRONG.
    y87nVs3.jpg

After some poking around i closed the holes and decimated the top to resemble the most basic shape. As you can see, the parts that use alpha re really thin, so you can't really see any part of the other side from any of the game cam angles. On pic 3, you can see how almost flat part that uses alpha blends into some actual geometry, mostly because you can see that part in the portrait view.

General rule is that you alpha only the parts that will hide the "hole". The capes work that way, by the time you rotate it to see the gap between two sides, one is already invisible, and the other one already whos, thus fooling the eye that cloth is just thin.

Interestingly, one of the BH shuriken use that trick, the sawblade on is actually just circular thing with the alpha on the edges, but due to how thin the edges are, you never really see this.

You can show me the model you're having trouble with, i'm sure we can think something out. Hope this helps.
  • ultimatec
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Antimage weapons pack

268x268.resizedimage268x268.resizedimage
  • ThinkKlinck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThinkKlinck polycounter lvl 8
    WIP shot of antler bow for Clinkz, just the diffuse and normal in a quick Max render. 4aMWYSy.jpg
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, sorry, i didn't, but let me explain.
    My first retopo was way too detailed, partly because i thought that if the default has holes modeled in, i can do it too. WRONG.
    y87nVs3.jpg

After some poking around i closed the holes and decimated the top to resemble the most basic shape. As you can see, the parts that use alpha re really thin, so you can't really see any part of the other side from any of the game cam angles. On pic 3, you can see how almost flat part that uses alpha blends into some actual geometry, mostly because you can see that part in the portrait view.

General rule is that you alpha only the parts that will hide the "hole". The capes work that way, by the time you rotate it to see the gap between two sides, one is already invisible, and the other one already whos, thus fooling the eye that cloth is just thin.

Interestingly, one of the BH shuriken use that trick, the sawblade on is actually just circular thing with the alpha on the edges, but due to how thin the edges are, you never really see this.

You can show me the model you're having trouble with, i'm sure we can think something out. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation! Much easier to understand now. The item was actually my first dota item. I designed a skywrath staff with wings and the only way I seemed to be able to pull it off was to just alpha the entire wings. I remade it since the design was pretty weak, but always wondered how to pull off detailed wings with thickness. Foxclover posted a similar idea with his skywrath staffs, so hoping to see that one made so I can see how its done :>
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Submitted this for Abandon, I mean, Abaddon.

You liak? Go liak it. :P

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180049335D4432146F1A794DBA24AFE5807A288BB9ACFA6F3
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat colors are mesmerizing
    FvSykCA.jpg
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to everyone getting something in the First Blood update!

I've been working on an OD set slowly, hoping to finish it up soon though. Got my bakes done (except weapon) in the last couple days. Textures are really early and no weapon yet, but here's a wip.

OD_wip3.jpg
  • Kraken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Hi everyone!
    Here is another WIP of my Pumkin courier. Broom will be used in flying version. I've done the texture and rig, so animation will be ready in next few weeks. Hope you like it:)
    color texture only:
    WfOLxrV.jpg
    color+normal+glow
    Fxpp8fz.jpg
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw Vidotto's Female single items contest,
    if i had saved my progress i could have entered it!
    But well here's the Aghanim pendant i just finished for Lina:
    23ij96t.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180205762
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everytime i post on polycount i get immediatly a downvote :(
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PKSpark wrote: »
    Everytime i post on polycount i get immediatly a downvote :(

You mean Reddit? You shouldn't worry, upvotes and downvotes mean jack shit when you realize what sort of stuff gets upvoted on daily basis.

Your item looks pretty nice, purple looks a iiiiiiiiiitty bit unusual on Lina, however if you made gem red/orange/yellow it would completely got lost inbetween other details so I can see it actually work. :D

And I don't think everything upvoted is bad, but... I don't know, it's maybe just me. :V
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean Reddit? You shouldn't worry, upvotes and downvotes mean jack shit when you realize what sort of stuff gets upvoted on daily basis.

Your item looks pretty nice, purple looks a iiiiiiiiiitty bit unusual on Lina, however if you made gem red/orange/yellow it would completely got lost inbetween other details so I can see it actually work. :D

And I don't think everything upvoted is bad, but... I don't know, it's maybe just me. :V

The thing is most views are on the 1st page, so if i get some downvotes it doesn't go up, means less pageviews, so less votes,
    otherwise i'll have to spend to get views (must have spent like 14 keys to get my tf2 bear cub known).
    Many people asked me to change to color to base blue, so it's been updated!

kbvrk0.jpg
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    @PKSpark dont worry about votes too much, I have 3-4 items with 1000-3500 votes and they are not ingame :P and others with less are in
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    otherwise i'll have to spend to get views (must have spent like 14 keys to get my tf2 bear cub known).

What does that mean? by buying keys your item get more views?
    I don't think that matters at all...
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    May be a TF2 thing?
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Kraken wrote: »
    Fxpp8fz.jpg

That's some great quality work there!
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    What does that mean? by buying keys your item get more views?
    I don't think that matters at all...

I give items to friends and random people to spread the word,
    got me 2100 views, not much compared to 1-6 place but way more than usual
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I give items to friends and random people to spread the word,
    got me 2100 views, not much compared to 1-6 place but way more than usual

That's pretty much bribery. Don't agree with it at all.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @PKSpark if friends want keys for upvoting your items they are no friends at all. However sad thing about worksop is that first 1-2 hours decide if your item will get to first page or will be lost forever. Anyway I hope it will not end in condition same as in facebook that you can buy any amount of likes for $ which would be kinda sad...
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    That is such a waste of money. Getting 28747368645 votes doesn't mean it has a better chance of getting into the game.

And yes, it is bribery.
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    That's pretty much bribery. Don't agree with it at all.

Man i don't ask them to upvote, just to roll the link to their friends
    (yes they can downvote, and somes do)
    Konras wrote: »
    @PKSpark if friends want keys for upvoting your items they are no friends at all. However sad thing about worksop is that first 1-2 hours decide if your item will get to first page or will be lost forever. Anyway I hope it will not end in condition same as in facebook that you can buy any amount of likes for $ which would be kinda sad...

Got the idea when i saw the hardy laurel promotional gift for buying total war,
    but i'm doing it in reverse: i give stuff to rnd people who commented on my submission. After all, they did browsed beyond the 2st page and it's not common..!

Also, i'm a special case on the WS, so my friends are kinda unmotivated to roll my links, and it's somewhere understandable.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man i don't ask them to upvote, just to roll the link to their friends
    (yes they can downvote, and somes do)

Got the idea when i saw the hardy laurel promotional gift for buying total war,
    but i'm doing it in reverse: i give stuff to rnd people who commented on my submission. After all, they did browsed beyond the 2st page and it's not common..!

Also, i'm a special case on the WS, so my friends are kinda unmotivated to roll my links, and it's somewhere understandable.
    This is so wrong

WPpCjCd.jpg
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone know how we can rig assets close to a hero's face? For example I have a beard for Nature's Prophet, however when his mouth opens(in game portrait animation) the beard doesn't react. The model I've downloaded from the Dota workshop website doesn't seem to include a facial rig.

I'm quite confused at this point.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    PKSpark: I'm not even going to comment anymore on why it's wrong if you can't see it yourself.

Vlad: Looking great, is it finished or are you adding more to it? (I'm unfamiliar with her parts)
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PKSpark: I'm not even going to comment anymore on why it's wrong if you can't see it yourself.

Vlad: Looking great, is it finished or are you adding more to it? (I'm unfamiliar with her parts)

I know, you imply i'm a monster and everyone should downvote my aghanim pendant. No need, it's cheesed already at the 3 first hours.
    Now onto making something different
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know, you imply i'm a monster and everyone should downvote my aghanim pendant. No need, it's cheesed already at the 3 first hours.
    Not really, i just don't think that's the way to do it, but it's not against TOS, so it counts as a fair game.
    soulstice wrote: »
    Anyone know how we can rig assets close to a hero's face? For example I have a beard for Nature's Prophet, however when his mouth opens(in game portrait animation) the beard doesn't react. The model I've downloaded from the Dota workshop website doesn't seem to include a facial rig.

I'm quite confused at this point.
    yeah, Valve does that, facial animations are handled tad differently, so they add them themselves.
    Scarves and the ghosts. We wanted to do custom scraps, but can't think anything really distinct and they removed the scrolling effect, so it's not that cool now.
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys

@kraken

awesome shit:D really nice...

@all

can someone please explain me what is going on at my screenshot with the right side of the rig?! (3dsmax2012+self decompiled smds imported with wunderboys smd import plugin)

vHcPIvN.jpgegiw6pf.jpg

i start to hate valve for not releasing updated riki files ;[
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    yeah, Valve does that, facial animations are handled tad differently, so they add them themselves.

That explains it! Thanks Vlad :)
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not typically a fan of topknots, Vlad, but that is looking baller. Looking forward to the ghosts, I imagine it would be pretty tough to make them unique/stand out enough from the hecate and original. You guys must have some awesome concepts up your sleeves. :)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    fx01 wrote: »
    hey guys

@kraken

awesome shit:D really nice...

@all

can someone please explain me what is going on at my screenshot with the right side of the rig?! (3dsmax2012+self decompiled smds imported with wunderboys smd import plugin)

i start to hate valve for not releasing updated riki files ;[

If select the bones and reset stretch through bone tools it usually pulls the bones back to where they should be.

lQ1Rn7n.png
  • Taumich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's up! Like if you want, ty! :D
    (Click the picture)
    5iiOV7r.jpg
  • fx01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oha!

thank you very much Lennyagony !
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5

Yeah, I don't think bribing is the way to do it. The quality of your work should speak for itself.

Anyway, I personally don't really like these workshop items based on the Dota items - I find them very uninspiring and unoriginal.

Also, that's looking good Vlad.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Anyway, I personally don't really like these workshop items based on the Dota items - I find them very uninspiring and unoriginal.

I hate that too. Now any character that normally carries an aganim scepter ingame will evntually get their own aganim item.
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mana disintegrator
    638DEB78DAE877D5DBC1BC72B7B3CCBA93A1640A
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Those look really great vlad, I'm not sure if you should lower the intensity of the blue on the sashes. It looks a little bit distracting to me but take that with a grain of salt. I love the subtle use of the red and blue gradient on the outer fringe of their dresses.
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Kraken- Great courier! Love the textures.
    Taumich - the set looks nice ^^ but be careful with the thumbnails and presentation. The background and effects are so noisy that are taking away the focus from the items.

Working on a new set for Mirana...hopefully I'll not be beaten up for making her hair blue.
    sq512dP.jpg
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Nice one Zaphk, I really like those shapes!
  • vlad_the_implyer
  • MugenMcFugen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It looks fabulous! Thanks for taking my concept in. :D:D
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Purifying War Hammer

268x268.resizedimage
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on something cool ;3
    HNY9E6JeV1o.jpg
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Collab with SLIMEface, a giant shield for Sven:
    Was kinda supposed to be rushed for August competition but I didn't make it in time :C

268x268.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180857932&searchtext=

637x358.resizedimage
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Soo! sets and items that were 6 months old or more get removed from the store!

lets see how the market system work for us !

congrats on that sets added :D