Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    vertical wrote: »
    @Andyk125 @Anyone
    All heroes have alpha's now? How did I miss this? Please do tell what I need to do to get alpha's in? :D

I know they said at one point they were working on enabling alphas for all the heroes but I don't know where they are in that process... Can anybody confirm/deny?
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    I tested with huskar and maiden, and they have alpha enabled, they didnt some time ago, so maybe they enabled it already in all heroes, is easy to test anyways.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Spudnik wrote: »
    I know they said at one point they were working on enabling alphas for all the heroes but I don't know where they are in that process... Can anybody confirm/deny?

Do a Find in Files in Notepad++ for all the VMTs in the heroes folder, look for "$alphatest 1" and that will show you all the vmts with alpha enabled.

I know it was added for Queen of Pain shortly after they said they were adding alpha to heroes. She didn't have it before.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Rubus wrote: »
    @Bulldog42:

Well, seems your question has more to do with basic UV mapping than anything specific to Dota 2.

All you got to do is:

1-Start your mesh making sure its mid point X is set to 0;
    2-Delete everything in one side of the X axis and add the 'Mirror' modifier;
    3-After done editing, add seams, unwrap your mesh and make all the adjustments in the UV map;
    4-Hit 'Apply' in the the mirror modifier tab, so the mirrored part becomes an editable part of the mesh, thus you'll have a perfectly mirrored UV map, as both sides will have the exact same position in the UV map.

Again, always check if your mid vertexes are all zeroed in the X axis to prevent mid vertexes not joining properly.

Other important thing to bear in mind is that you can't have overlapped UV maps when baking, thus before baking, make a version especially for baking saving it to other blender file.

Then you can proceed to:

1-Select half the mesh and open the UV editor, so it will appear only that half in the UV map for you to select;
    2-Move it to a position out of the rendering space, so you'll have no problems baking the AO and the normalmaps.

Hope this helps.

You can't use overlapping UVs for baking textures? This is news to me. Is this using xNormal? What problems would overlapping UVs cause? I ask because I have used overlapping UVs without any problem as far as I can tell but I have probably missed something somewhere...
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    MdK wrote: »
    You can't use overlapping UVs for baking textures? This is news to me. Is this using xNormal? What problems would overlapping UVs cause? I ask because I have used overlapping UVs without any problem as far as I can tell but I have probably missed something somewhere...

Well, a while ago I tried to bake normalmaps with stuff overlapped in Blender, and all I got was a f*cked up normalmap with all sorts of colors xD

Perhaps they already fixed that in more recent versions, or perhaps I was doing something wrong.

What I know is that after a lot of hair pulling, forum searching and menu browsing, I decided to do things this way, it's simple and it works pretty well with my pipeline.

It just left me burned because it was a big annoyance for me at the time, it's a good idea to tinker around with it again, as I may be developing a bad routine because of it.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I seem to have no problems when baking with overlapping UVs in xNormal. It may just be different from software to software, but the safer method is clearly to have non-overlapping UVs.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Are those of you having issues with overlapped UV's moving the duplicate UV's once over in the UV space?

Visible UV space runs 0-1. You want to simply move any single instance of an overlapping island 1 UV unit over so it is still in the same coordinates when the game reads it, but the baker will only see the island in the 0-1 space and bake properly.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Exactly what aivanov said.

If you're using Maya, download UV Deluxe, it helps soooo much!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    aivanov wrote: »
    Are those of you having issues with overlapped UV's moving the duplicate UV's once over in the UV space?

Visible UV space runs 0-1. You want to simply move any single instance of an overlapping island 1 UV unit over so it is still in the same coordinates when the game reads it, but the baker will only see the island in the 0-1 space and bake properly.

I have been playing it safe with overlapping UV's, and re aligning them in the 0-1 UV space due to Dota 2 combining a heros/items textures at some point. See quote below from the requirements page

"In general, you can push an item's UVs to the texture borders closer than usual because hero's and item's textures all added together in-engine."

Too add to this and something i initially missed is the reuirments page goes on to say

"To achieve better texture details you can overlap UVs on symmetrical or repeating parts of the model but do not weld them through. Internally we offset overlapping UVs +1 in U direction"

So totally cool to leave them offset

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how this works? are the textures combined into some form of atlas? or?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Divonino! Cool idea! I think its looking a bit fragile though. I'd love to see it as chunky as the glyph he has in game :)

I think I've finished texturing this old thing.
    texture.jpg
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Divonino! Cool idea! I think its looking a bit fragile though. I'd love to see it as chunky as the glyph he has in game :)

I think I've finished texturing this old thing.
    texture.jpg

Its Dvonio! that sounds like danonino a brand mark in spain haha :P

well, its at the same proportions as the ingame one, but I think with better texturing, if you see the one from tusk you will see he has weird unwrap and textures, no normal and so xD, so I didnt want to make like the one ingame :P, the particle from the attack appears from the center ingame.

thanks for the comment

i love your texturing :poly142:
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    That looks great Anuxi! :]

That maple leaf belt looks amazing and i prefer the green colors over the yellow/orange colors that you had before. But it seems more like summer than autumn now though.

I just finished the high poly of this skywrath staff:

skystaff1.jpg
  • Uliss
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Hey!

Crafted by Tusk himself, a gift to make sure his best friend won't forget him.

B0E8C69818DE11B434F2BF0A26E51D80969EB085

Link to the workshop

Hope you guys like it :D
    Wow, that's one lazy design.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    @Anuxi: Nice job!:)
    @Hawkseye: Great staff! Loved the piece at the center.

One more piece for Tusk finished! Texture by Zaphk
    Q9QYZeL.jpg
  • Varecor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! I have a question. When you treat the subject has a lot of polygons (in zbrush). But Dota 2 takes only 400. How do you optimize a model?
  • KnightXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow after seeing alot of items here really impress me.
    can I asking for some cosmetic Item here? or what forum I need to go for request?
    I really want someone to create new sven set.
    well I really like this concecpt though (even its just for joke from the maker)
    sven_items_by_mcmr-d54rzyi.jpg

may be Its not good for me for asking this
    but I really hope new sven now with higher design than current one
    (its looks plain when comparing to other heroes)

btw sorry for my bad english
    and sorry I dont know who making picture above so I cant give him a credit.(found its by googles)
  • Varecor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! I have a question. When you treat the subject has a lot of polygons (in zbrush). But Dota 2 takes only 400. How do you optimize a model?
  • Varecor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • KnightXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can I asking for some cosmetic Item here? or what forum I need to go for request?

may be Its not good for asking this

and sorry I dont know who making picture above so I cant give him a credit.(found its by googles)
  • KnightXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

• KnightXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

• reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    SwM_c01.jpg

a little more progress on this concept. staff, colors and additional angles to come.
    started blocking out the helmet in max already.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mother of god, who made this set? Awesome stuff indeed!
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Paskie wrote: »
    No idea but I hope he sticks around, I'm absolutely floored by that set, it's fucking incredible.

It's bittersweet as I believe it completely blows my Ezalor set out of the water but hey, more incredible artists and incredible items for a game we all love? I can't complain.
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »

yep. This set will be in the 1st place soon and the rest of his 7 days.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Exactly what aivanov said.

If you're using Maya, download UV Deluxe, it helps soooo much!

Awesome little add-on. Nice one!
  • Mister Scrake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As said by the guy who's made the majority of in game items for heroes and uses concepts without permission. Yep.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    As said by the guy who's made the majority of in game items for heroes and uses concepts without permission. Yep.
    When did i used the concepts without permision? You may want to check your facts first.
    majority of in game items
    Man, i wish.
    So what are you trying to say? That it takes no fantasy to turn 30x100 icon into a whole model? Or are you against reinforcing the artstyle valve created by using their own concepts in a natural way?
    Oh wait, what am i saying, let's take a look at theese bad boys?
    200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage
    So are you against ingame items or not, i'm confused?

Or these awesome, totally not recycled hella sweet guys
    200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage

The thing is, it's still a lazy concept, disregarding what stuff i do. And let's face it, why should it matter who this comes from, it's still a tusk sigil on a stick, and the original had some sweet frosty texture on it, way better than this one.

Welp, i guess it strucks a nerve if you're calling names instead of trying to spice up ze model with some sexy fur, maybe a couple of ice crystal, dropping a shade of gold to make the item unique to the character, possibly telling a story, personalizing an item, instead of doing one just for the sake of doing one. Maybe that's too much to ask, eh
  • Mister Scrake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course I am not against those items, I just find it funny you are saying it's lazy when you do exactly the same.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to be rude against you or anything, it's just a little model we did cause we liked the idea, if you think it could have used something more say so instead of going "Lol its lazy"
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ While this may be a bit blunt, ...
    spice up ze model with some sexy fur, maybe a couple of ice crystal, dropping a shade of gold to make the item unique to the character, possibly telling a story, personalizing an item, instead of doing one just for the sake of doing one.

^ this is still valid critique, ...
    Welp, i guess it strucks a nerve if you're calling names [...]Maybe that's too much to ask, eh
    Of course I am not against those items, I just find it funny you are saying it's lazy when you do exactly the same.

^ but lets leave out the ad hominem stuff, alright?
    [...] if you think it could have used something more say so instead of going "Lol its lazy"

If you see something that bugs you about an item, call the artist out on it but do so respectfully. On the flip side, don't be offended by critique regardless if it's valid or invalid. We're all here to help each other be better artists and make better items!
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 10
    Don't you guys see it, he is never gonna change, he does the same and the same, he does it because he knows he is gonna be subject of discussion. He is the major troll here. How many times have this forums been filled with this kind of things.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not very often. And I think we should keep it that way. Lets all act like normal human beings and don't go around calling people major trolls when they may just have overreacted or misinterpreted. Pointing fingers gets us nowhere, constructive feedback and honest critique does.
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tell that to him
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    BRING THE HATE, I'm just kidding, lol! On a serious note, I sense a lot of hate here. Let's act as respectful people, huh? Good. No popularity contest here, but if you have to argue (Though, personally it's hilarious to me) do it over a PM. Just keeping the peace. Oh, don't feed trolls.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look guys...Vlad sucks at critique. He's abrasive and blunt to a fault. He's still a functional member of the community, not a troll, and usually makes valid points even if they're not terribly well articulated.
    I have yet to see anybody blatantly rip off a concept (with one exception on a PA weapon), at least nobody on polycount. I'm frankly getting tired of the "you ripped my idea off" comments...of the mud slinging. This is a competitive scene. It's a game we're all playing. Show some sportsmanship. If Vlad wants to be dennis rodman you need to step up and be micheal jordan. Don't bite when he goads you, try to find the critique in his comments and learn something to make yourself better. At the end of the day Vlad, and everybody else here, is a talented artist trying to improve their craft by interacting with a community of likeminded individuals. Take Vlad with a grain of salt, and quit pointing fingers at eachother. No plagiarism will be tolerated on Polycount - the community will ALWAYS come together against any real offense, so STOP slinging the damn accusations around just to follow it up with a "i was just kidding, bro".

There has not been nearly enough art in the last few posts on this thread.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    ^ This. I have nothing else to add to what he said, but he put it perfectly in my opinion
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia and I finished our set for Mirana!

--> WORKSHOP LINK! <--

lion_promo_by_chemicalalia-d63hmuz.png

nightbloom_final_by_chemicalalia-d63hmus.png

And a video of it in-game!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSXdveaNhY0&quot;]Nightbloom - Dota 2 Mirana set - YouTube[/ame]

If you wanna see more details, and also textures, go to our thread
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119492
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks amazing. It's probably a bit late for critique...but i'd love to see a little bit more color difference between the face and the mane. Nitpick though. Beautiful work.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    At the end of the day every submitted item will be judged only by Valve, so know your value and worry only about it. Comments here or even on workshop doesn't matter anyway ;) Don't let arguing take you away from doing stuff.
    That's a little suggestion for all :)
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    At the end of the day every submitted item will be judged only by Valve, so know your value and worry only about it. Comments here or even on workshop doesn't matter anyway ;) Don't let arguing take you away from doing stuff.
    That's a little suggestion for all :)

:)
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great, Drywall! One critique though if you don't mind: The lion looks a little depressed. I think it's his eyes, they could probably be tweaked to look a little more stern. It's only a minor nitpick though!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more edge detail and wear - especially on the metal, but along the grooves in the blue portions as well. Could use some ornamentation on the gray metal i think, also.
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chiniara
    looks a little bit flat. U need more depth and color variation imo. Need to see some ingame view to talk about the shape.
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    more work on the marketing shot for the workshop...

_char_render_wip03.jpg
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more work on the marketing shot for the workshop...

_char_render_wip03.jpg

LOVE IT!!! THE NEXT HIT BABY :D
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm definitely liking this a lot more - a little bit of the gold from the handle worked in throughout the rest in the ornamentation might be nice.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I think I am just about done with these horns, would love some crits please!

hornsb.jpg
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I would say maybe add a bit more gradient on your gold metal sections, they currently look a bit flat and lacking definition to me.