Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Asi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asi
    Rowinish wrote: »
    Hello again, fixed that alpha problem, Thanks for the help!

Now I'm sort of torn with what color these blades will be. Right now I have a self-ilium mask on the waves and center.

I'm partial to A since it was my original concept but I'm afraid that it might be straying too far from BS's color scheme.

CRITS? SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks,
    ktkd4ZS.png
    I would go with C, and u will suggest u to do some work with alpha chanel in _color.tga mask. You can paint area around stripes in black so that area dont show up ingame, so only stripes can be visible.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Zalakzik wrote: »
    Finished Dark Seer set, please upvote :rolleyes:
    oCVQQyN.jpg
    gdfLQBQ.png
  • Taumich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel the smell of progress in this thread :)
  • Taumich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my recent progress on an Anti-Mage set:
    jrhO28u.jpg
    czvHMqD.jpg

Feel free to bombard with feedback! :D
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!!
    5C3CD5050BA23688DD6DB9FA15D37DFE41584FFD
    You can click on it!

Where's the actual ingame pictures? Science has created a monster and I want to see art!
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I imagine it's because the importer previewer for summons and stuff only works for Beastmaster's summons at this point.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I imagine it's because the importer previewer for summons and stuff only works for Beastmaster's summons at this point.

Yea, but he can still give a maya/max render so we can see the actual product. Hell, he can still compile it into the game the old fashion way to get in game renders out. No excuses.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Wasn't that supposed to be a funny moment when you import stuff and see something that makes you chuckle, then share it?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    TiAER9D.jpg
    Wip promo image for the alchemist set Jal and I made
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    GJ hawt koffee that looks amazing
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Nice I was waiting for this set
  • Uff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uff
    TiAER9D.jpg

Why ogre is wearing a sci-fi helmet?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uff wrote: »
    Why ogre is wearing a sci-fi helmet?
    So you can take your Ogre out in space
    31oI3yY.jpg
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    i think it needs more purple. maybe in the fumes or something. but at the moment i think that's not quite capturing his default colour scheme.
  • stevoqwerty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I've mention somewhere before that I'm gonna make a set for Drow. Well here it is. This is my first ever set, made it in one and a half months, with no experience in 3D application nor training. I worked so hard make this, if it didn't make it into the game, I'll try again, never give up.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136648717

pr_zpsd8caa8c4.jpg
  • arkrage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there I kind of have a big question here :D ...
    My problem sounds like this : I have just finished a model ( a sword for Skeleton King (Leoric) ) and I have just stumbled upon something ... I want to try my model in-game but I don't know how, now I know that I can see the item and analyze it before I post it in the publishing window but as I have already seen on the steam workshop some people are able to actually post videos of themselves playing with their items in-game (if you can't understand what I am talking about look here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94732903&searchtext=gatuja ... this is the one courier that was never validated by steam but still we can clearly see that in the second video he/she (the maker) is using it inside the game to show us how it looks)...
    Hope someone understands what I mean :) thanks for help if anyone offers
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arkrage wrote: »
    Hi there I kind of have a big question here :D ...
    My problem sounds like this : I have just finished a model ( a sword for Skeleton King (Leoric) ) and I have just stumbled upon something ... I want to try my model in-game but I don't know how, now I know that I can see the item and analyze it before I post it in the publishing window but as I have already seen on the steam workshop some people are able to actually post videos of themselves playing with their items in-game (if you can't understand what I am talking about look here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94732903&searchtext=gatuja ... this is the one courier that was never validated by steam but still we can clearly see that in the second video he/she (the maker) is using it inside the game to show us how it looks)...
    Hope someone understands what I mean :) thanks for help if anyone offers

There is a solution for that, called Dota 2 Test. There is a guide here on polycount. Try to search.
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii wrote: »
    If there's anything we've learned about Valves selection process at this point, it's that we can't predict it.
    Brilliant! :)
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chiniara wrote: »
    Going back a few steps, trying to get a better sillouete :

2tfwP
    love modo
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Taumich
    I like the hood. I would try playing up the stitching between the sides and the top to add some more visual interest.
    @Hawt
    Really digging this set!
    @chiniara
    I definitely like the new crustaceous look to your sword. The only crit I have is that I prefer the gold part by the hilt to cover up the sword like you had in your original concept. Just my preference though, good lookin weap regardlesss.
    @stevo
    congrats on your first set. Looking forward to sseeing more from you.
  • Taumich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @Pundt
    I've made some new details to the armor and the hood.

But now i wonder which one of these hood textures i shall use? Or if i shall try to make a new texture.

Old:
    cqJHhxn.png

New:
    ozRlsps.png

I want opinions, thank you :)
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PKSpark wrote: »
    There are two new similar workshop contributors who submitted Lina set and teleported to 1st page; how did they manage to go so high at first try and day one without any kind of promotion or reputation (30-10 followers)?! This is so absurd and unbalanced!
    When I saw first Lina's set this week, i was pretty shocked.
    I dont know how people can earn so much votes for THIS. Okay, I understand the haircut, its not brilliant, but ok, at least it is different from original. But all other items... speachless.

Anuxi's Molten Fracture: 3678votes.
    Lina_Flame_Master_Hair: 3733votes and rising.

I just can't believe my eyes.
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taumich wrote: »
    Thank you @Pundt
    I've made some new details to the armor and the hood.

But now i wonder which one of these hood textures i shall use? Or if i shall try to make a new texture.

Old:
    cqJHhxn.png

New:
    ozRlsps.png

I like the look of the new one with the more complex patterns. It looks like there is some issue with the texture on the front of the hood right where the seam is. The only other thing I can think of is maybe darkening the seam just a bit.
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uliss wrote: »
    I dont know how people can earn so much votes for THIS. Okay, I understand the haircut, its not brilliant, but ok, at least it is different from original. But all other items... speachless.

The highest voted items follows a certain pattern.
    I'm going to do a test by submitting a specific item, and i'll return the results :)
  • Taumich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pundt for the feedback. But do you mean the seam between the forehead edges and the hood? Here i have a closer look:
    G8kSbUB.jpg

Cause the "W" thing on the forehead is a separate object.

Also... I need opinions weather or not i shall have symbols on my Anti-Mage armour:
    dqv8F2y.jpg

Thanks!
  • Hunter-Killer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4

I think it's somewhat down to female heroes, particularly the more "revealing" ones as there are a lot of young males in the gaming community still working out how their junk works and a flash of boobs or a pretty face makes them go silly.

Was shocked by how many people up voted my "Wind in the Hair" hairclip for the Windrunner, even though it's clearly far too small to view ingame and frankly nothing special. Of course I'm just generalising as you still have to make something good for people to take notice regardless of the hero!

Oh and couriers, people are obsessed with couriers!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The funny part is votes don't matter in the slightest bit. Honestly people should stop worrying about it. There are mythical items that had 400 votes on the workshop, and there are common items with well over 4000 votes. It doesn't matter. At the end of the day, whatever Valve likes gets into the game, regardless of the communities opinion.
  • Uff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uff

It's this time of year again :poly002:
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chiniara
    Looks pretty good in game but I can def see what you are talking about with the normals. The gold part on the sword doesn't appear to have even lighting and the blade has a consistant spec. I would try limiting the spec to the tip of blade maybe.
    @taumich
    yeah it was the w throwing me off. I would recommend changing its color or something to make it stand out from the trim
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Is there no update this week?
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I-ninja wrote: »
    Is there no update this week?

Valve's on holiday I believe. I think for the next 2-3 weeks.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Yup, Valve holiday.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    The funny part is votes don't matter in the slightest bit. Honestly people should stop worrying about it. There are mythical items that had 400 votes on the workshop, and there are common items with well over 4000 votes. It doesn't matter. At the end of the day, whatever Valve likes gets into the game, regardless of the communities opinion.

I don't know about that so much. I think a lot of the outliers with not many votes were things that got in a while ago, pre-polycount comp. The wild west days of the workshop where ice bows and stolen maces could get in.

The last three or so chests and months of sets have been mostly straight off the front page of the workshop.

As much as I want to believe it's not, I think getting the front page popularity is relatively important right now with so much competition. If there's two equally awesome sets/items, one without community support and one with community support, the latter would be chosen.

On a similar note, I've noticed the way that it's being weighted is much more dependant on downvotes than upvotes. Things that make it to the first page generally have very few downvotes, but don't need a huge amount of upvotes, just a high ratio of up to down. Things will hit front page with 100 votes, as long as >95% are positive.

Quick stats from my items, because they've been all over the place in terms of workshop popularity:
    naga hair - hovered on page 3/4
    841 total
    82% positive
    18% negative

kotl staff - mostly page 1/2 for the week
    407 total
    96% positive
    4% negative

Windrunner hair - hovered on page 2/3
    262 total
    88% positive
    12% negative

old qop set's highest charting item, page 1
    1333 total
    98% positive
    2% negative

• mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10

3,700 votes, out of 45,000 views. A huge part of that vote count is how long it's been sitting in the top 1-3 spots, because anyone that goes to launch dota 2 from steam will see it in the window and potentially click on it. Also I'm fairly sure we determined early on it was definitely getting heavy traffic directed to it from some other site.

I agree mostly, I think it's a mixture of what valve likes and community support. A tidal wave of upvotes will certaintly make them more likely to pick an item than if it had none, but if it had no chance to get in in the first place then all the upvotes in the world won't matter.
    Frump wrote: »
    On a similar note, I've noticed the way that it's being weighted is much more dependant on downvotes than upvotes. Things that make it to the first page generally have very few downvotes, but don't need a huge amount of upvotes, just a high ratio of up to down. Things will hit front page with 100 votes, as long as >95% are positive.

This. Also I've noticed speed is another important one. If two items both have the exact same number of upvotes/downvotes, but one has been in the workshop for half the time, it'll appear much higher on the list. I also think views are somehow factored into things as well, for example 30 votes out of 100 views will place higher than 30 votes out of 1000 views. Then again that lina set is still at the top spot, so I'm not exactly sure how things are calculated but it's definitely a factor.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posted my set for SD but i'm not really sure if i have gotten the name right. Does one say Vestiments of the dark realms or Vestiments of the dark realm?

Link to set

EF3920A0AC93A864AE65590792378D947A062C0B
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Actually, I believe it's just Vestments? no "i"
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, i checked here http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vestiments before posting, is that wrong? The spellchecker says vestment but the old word seems to be Vestiment so i went with that.
  • oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    I've started work on Razor set.

razor_progress1.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @oDD: That is a really nice concept, watch out you don't make to much details it can become really noisy.. Keeping my on that one :)

Did some more work on my brewmaster set. Not really going fast but I'm taking my time on this one. The bakc and shoulder are without the masks. Comments are really welcome!

bNrVhDM.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    TiAER9D.jpg

awesome! great work on this set
    Taumich wrote: »
    New:
    ozRlsps.png

the antimage have a colar piece or a sholder one right? what are you doing with it? you need to think your item to work with the other items in game. i dont know if they will clip
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    chiniara wrote: »
    Finally!

2tT7e
    2tT6q
    2tT6q

Your normal green channel might be inverted. Your bakes looks a bit wierd.

Also make the metal parts 0 in mask2 green. I think the rim light might be also causing some problems? maybe?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fuck yeah!!! SFM model viewer working with dota shader

no more black on the metalness
    2u1vy
  • PoPcorn
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Yes! finally support for mask textures! :D
    2u7ep
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    Just finished some single items for Huskar.

nice work man! i like the new style

---

guys, im reworking my hawk, here is a print on the model viewer
    any suggestion?

thanks in advance

2u7gx
    2u7iW
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How much are you willing to rework? I've never been a big fan of the horns.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    How much are you willing to rework? I've never been a big fan of the horns.

humf i really like the horns! you mean the model or the texture? or both?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    You should give it 4 wings :3

Those wings loook 1000000x better than the last ones I saw. :D Nice progress Man!