Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    PKSpark wrote: »
    1j3ksk.jpg
    A new face for the nightmare-inducing Darkterror!
    link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135818787

Wow! Cool head. The blackhole-ish thing seems to spin in wrong direction but more importantly, how the hell did you manage to make the particle effects like that?!!
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul wrote: »
    Wow! Cool head. The blackhole-ish thing seems to spin in wrong direction but more importantly, how the hell did you manage to make the particle effects like that?!!
    The vortex do spin in the right direction! (suck-in effect)
    For the vortex, it's a rotating texture defined in the vmt.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    1j3ksk.jpg
    link:

Dude, this is fantastic! I love the idea and execution. Great Job! Would you be able to post direct links to youtube, the videos on steam don't seem to work for me. Mega Thumbs up! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    hey i got a problem , im trying to compile this model and when i open it in the CS:GO model viewer it looks like this
    linayes_zpsdd07f22e.jpg
    and when i delete the .vmt file the model is invisible.i also got this error when i compiled it.

Completed "mdldecompiler.qc"
    WARNING: Reference Count for Material ___error (1) != 0

im using blender btw
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are your face normals facing the right way?
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    Yes the model looks fine in marmoset
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vortex do spin in the right direction! (suck-in effect)
    For the vortex, it's a rotating texture defined in the vmt.

But custom vmts are not acceptable afaik
    Great idea and execution, anyway
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    the original concept of the orangutan had him reliant on the cane to walk just like you say - with a baboon/mandrill i think he might be more sprightly and nimble, so not sure if it'll work. BUT i think its worth doing, so hopefully i can get a friendly animator to have a go at both

yes, going to try and keep it simple i think. See how it looks without too many extras

helicopter cane is pretty much a dead cert right now!

...and finally today, managed to block out some of the accessories - hopefully get them into zbrush tomorrow...

mandrill_blockout01_zps21bc106c.jpg

looking really nice man =]
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    1j3ksk.jpg
    link:

I really love that face man... but the rest of the items just don't have the same fidelity and even the same style as the face. There are some great textural elements on the face ( like the value split in the skin and the wrinkles and bumps.} The armour pieces and weapon look like they were done by a different person.. they feel like they lack defined form details and the textures are flat and they lack value breakup and definition. Not to mention there is no real colour/hue work going on there. Work on trying to pack your UV's better to get more textel res out of the key areas, and paint your maps at 4x the res for your presentation images.

I really think you can push the rest of the set to the same quality as the head. You may think about scrapping everything but the head and trying again from scratch with the head as your new bar for quality and style. Think about maybe keeping the vortex theme going in the other parts.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    That's the default Void armour and weapon, Anuxi XD
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love that face man... but the rest of the items just don't have the same fidelity and even the same style as the face. There are some great textural elements on the face ( like the value split in the skin and the wrinkles and bumps.} The armour pieces and weapon look like they were done by a different person.. they feel like they lack defined form details and the textures are flat and they lack value breakup and definition. Not to mention there is no real colour/hue work going on there. Work on trying to pack your UV's better to get more textel res out of the key areas, and paint your maps at 4x the res for your presentation images.

I really think you can push the rest of the set to the same quality as the head. You may think about scrapping everything but the head and trying again from scratch with the head as your new bar for quality and style. Think about maybe keeping the vortex theme going in the other parts.

Oh anuxi
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    As others have said those are the default void items, he only changed the head XD.

I'm 99% sure his texture quality is turned down to medium or lower, it really hurts some of the default items.

Next time you take preview shots for your items turn the texture quality up to high temporarily, it'll make a huge difference in the previewer.

For the record PKSpark, it's an awesome item, your best yet. I didn't even know it was possible to add a rotating texture when submitting via the workshop and you used it very creatively on top of that.
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Anuxi: The other pieces are from the game, i just did the head ^^'
    Thanks for your attention thoogh :)))

@Helenek: here's the links:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnDcOSlqwVQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkP2vrerXs0

@MechBgum: I have another solution which doesn't require custom vmts, i'm working on it.

@MrPresident: Here's the tip for custom vmt in the workshop previewer: compile your item as usual, and before clicking "ok" in the importing console, where you see "import successful", alter the compiled vmt in the dota material/model/items/<yourhero>/<randomnumber> folder.
    You can stuff anything you want, alpha, nocull, scrolling, rotating texture...
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Anuxi: The other pieces are from the game, i just did the head ^^'
    Thanks for your attention thoogh :)))

god dammit i need to wake up.i spent ages typing that out too :(
    Well I love that HEAD. mythical FOR SURE!

(seriously wtf valve? that armour is terrible!)
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This is one of the earliest models of Dota 2, and ugh, I wouldn't go as far as calling it terrible, the silhouette and shapes of his robe are pretty even and unique and nice.
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    Finally submitted something

Split blade of the Ascendants
    34D7F38474183C7F4791820F2AD841F597DCE66C

It's not very good but it's what I managed to do :P
    Congrats on your first submission. I relly like the design and how it looks in nightime. I do think that the blade should be pulled in closer to the handle. Other than that, great job!
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Let's see you do better.
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    god dammit i need to wake up.i spent ages typing that out too :(
    Well I love that HEAD. mythical FOR SURE!

At least you liked my item enough to write a big comment!
    That's quite flattering if you ask me ^^

I think i've hit an interesting vein, but as Mechbgum pointed out,
    scrolling texture is probably not an okay idea, and i don't wish my submission
    to be capped out of the top 5 just for this technical choice, so i made an alternative with a rotating mesh:
    mt2jh0.jpg
    sbhc82.jpg
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, why on earth would Dota 2 crash when I imported a model after a few seconds?
  • K-PAX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    i have no time finish march competition. whatever i have finished this.hah
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=136009121

polycount.jpg
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    that's awesome. what is it made out of?

Its a Munny Vinyl Toy and a lot of Sculpey, paint, and Krylon Crystal Clear.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Quick question, Now I remember someone having this same issue and fixing it, but now I can't find the post in the 206 pages that is this thread.

How do I fix this?
    Thanks,

saiXDTw.png
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    spent the day doing the accessories in zbrush - probably going to take a break for a bit before getting stuck back in next weekend!

mandrill_zbrush_wip05_zps5e74e095.jpg
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Rowinish wrote: »
    Quick question, Now I remember someone having this same issue and fixing it, but now I can't find the post in the 206 pages that is this thread.

How do I fix this?
    Thanks,

saiXDTw.png

I had that awhile back it's your alpha in your texture files. If you have ps just go and delete it, you do not need it for what your doing
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, why on earth would Dota 2 crash when I imported a model after a few seconds?
  • sadies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX wrote: »

polycount.jpg

Bumping this for ya since you posted at the tail end of the page :) Very cool set, love the hair you've given her
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    The first 40 heroes or so were rushed to completion for the first international tourney, that's why they've been slowly going back and updating them all.

Void was one of those first heroes, so was mirana actually, I remember you mentioning on stream the solid white ears on her mount. Heck, vengeful spirit just had a flat red mask originally because they didn't have time to model her face XD.

That said the default armor looks a lot better when the texture resolution isn't turned down like in that preview: zPfqG.jpg

Seriously guys, if you have your graphics turned down for playing, make sure you turn them up to maximum before taking preview shots for the workshop or your textures will look hideous.
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I returned in my modelviewer, apparently it use the max game texture size, and some masks like the metalness one doesn't render correctly, theses must explain the blurry aspect..!
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Pundt wrote: »
    Congrats on your first submission. I relly like the design and how it looks in nightime. I do think that the blade should be pulled in closer to the handle. Other than that, great job!
    Thank you very much. It's really motivating to read comments like this, makes me want to do more stuff.
    A lot of people requested that change so I did it and updated the screenshots in the workshop. Might update the main picture tomorrow.

Here's the link again, in case someone missed it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135496463
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can somebody please help? :/

When I import my item then Dota 2 suddenly just freezes and then exits. It does it with 2 of 4 models. I don't get it. D:
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical wrote: »
    Can somebody please help? :/

When I import my item then Dota 2 suddenly just freezes and then exists. It does it with 2 of 4 models. I don't get it. D:

There's just so many things it could be there's no way of knowing - go over your file, check that the transforms are frozen, history deleted, you're not importing anything more than you need, the files are all correct.

It could be your PC.

Try verifying the integrity of the game cache.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MechBgum wrote: »
    This is one of the earliest models of Dota 2, and ugh, I wouldn't go as far as calling it terrible, the silhouette and shapes of his robe are pretty even and unique and nice.

Yeah terrible is pretty harsh.. just in that render the textel res and colour looks off. I just saw it in game and its fine.

But it just has nothing on their newer models like tusk and dusa. Some fine art has gone into those models and textures.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting close to finishing this set for SD. Have been working with the colorpalett from his hands/arms. I think it turned out pretty good. Going to add the gradients and then some nice promoscreens. Let me know what you think! jyFJ1XY.jpg
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

How do I fix this?
    Thanks,

saiXDTw.png

If editting the txture doesn't fix it, try edgesplit and remove doubles in your smd's and reimport.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    K-PAX wrote: »

there's a really similar head thing already in game

Heirloom_of_the_Temple_Priestess.png
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Paskie wrote: »
    Getting close to finishing this set for SD. Have been working with the colorpalett from his hands/arms. I think it turned out pretty good. Going to add the gradients and then some nice promoscreens. Let me know what you think!

I think the model looks great, I like the shape and the more robust silouette it gives to SD.

But even considering he'll have those head particles in game, I think the area around the neck looks a bit empty as it is now, perhaps adding something like a long upturned collar may do the trick.

Also, I like the red tone, though I found it a bit plain. Think in adding some white details as the inscriptions in the back of the default model, would look good and could help breaking the monotony of large areas of the same color.
  • Pundt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roughs for a Warrunner set I will hopefully make. After reading his bio I wanted to make something that went along with his arena days.

Having some trouble pushing through the design phase. Always feel like I am nitpicking things and am worried I will end up with a Frankenstein. Is there anything you guys like to keep in mind while coming up with designs (like hierarchy of shapes) or is this something that you just keep doing till you get an eye for it?

Sorry if its a bit of a silly question (asking one how to design). I am just curious as to how other people go about their concepting process.
    Hiy9p5U.jpg
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 10
    Roughs for a Warrunner set I will hopefully make. After reading his bio I wanted to make something that went along with his arena days.

Having some trouble pushing through the design phase. Always feel like I am nitpicking things and am worried I will end up with a Frankenstein. Is there anything you guys like to keep in mind while coming up with designs (like hierarchy of shapes) or is this something that you just keep doing till you get an eye for it?

Sorry if its a bit of a silly question (asking one how to design). I am just curious as to how other people go about their concepting process.
    Hiy9p5U.jpg

D:
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Wow that concept looks really great, especially the helmet and shoulder piece. Not sure about the shields though, I think you should test out some more ideas..

I've did some more work on my brewmaster set. Finished the high poly shield and spear and almost the shoulder armor. needs some more detail and maybe some damage. Let me know what you guys think!

EDIT: By the way does anyone know anything about if you stay inside the trilimit budgets easily you can have Valve add particles or anything to one of the items from the set?

I would love to have some fire particles around the fireball from the weapon and for now I can stay into the trilimit budget from the back slot very easily with a lot of tri's left. I could add more detail or maybe another item, but if particles are one of the possiblities I would probably leave it like this.

clwhvml.jpg
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10

How do I fix this?
    Thanks,

saiXDTw.png

Problems with alpha-channels. Dont use black in your alpha
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I want to bring up another subject; I think this is a good time to talk about Valve's choices on sets, chests etc.

I personally think they are going in the wrong direction if they want to add more sets to the game. I'm not 100% sure but single items must be more profitable than making sets, we have many contributors here who can confirm this. The first problem is the rarity; I was shocked to see ALL items in the latest chest are at least of rare quality. You can buy a rare item from the store for 4-5$ but a treasure key is only 2,5$. It's basically half price! There's also a chance to get mythicals and people like to gamble a lot, so key sales must be 10 times more than sets.

I personally don't feel like making more sets in the near future. I'd rather make a batch of single items just like anuxi did (yeah I'm not sure if all of them can get in game, but i'm willing to take my chances). I'm pretty sure some of you feel that way too. What do you think about this issue and what do you think Valve should do about it?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there is room for both. I love maming sets but I also love making single items when I don't have the ideas for a full set.

People love to have matching sets, but in the future when more items are available people will find their own favorite combination of items. For instance, lots of people love the latest jugg set going with the jugg flag from the wood chest.

I plan to make 2 sets a month plus maybe one single item.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the short term single items that make it into a chest are most likely more profitable than a set but the chest peaks at a month and and slowly disappear whereas sets remain for (as far as we know) forever.

But I don't really like looking at things in terms of money - I just want to make what excites me as an artist and as a player whether it be a set/single item/courier/ward whatever!
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11

Hiy9p5U.jpg
    Oh man, that helmet is so awesome!
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    In the short term single items that make it into a chest are most likely more profitable than a set but the chest peaks at a month and and slowly disappear whereas sets remain for (as far as we know) forever.

But I don't really like looking at things in terms of money - I just want to make what excites me as an artist and as a player whether it be a set/single item/courier/ward whatever!

Yeah but what about the recent changes concerning the older chests? You can still get treasure keys for those and that means item makers are once again earning from them.

Don't get me wrong, I also love to design set items that go well with each other. It's just that I also have a few ideas for single items and I will be giving them the priority. You may not care at all how much money you earn from the workshop, maybe some others also don't, but there will surely be some people who will and that will change the format of the contributions to the workshop.
  • Don Don
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm...it's actually pretty hard for me to think of single items, because I enjoy balancing the shapes across the model. I'd like to try making a bunch of items, though, as I think it would be a good exercise to get me to think a little differently, but I think my preference will always be in sets. It's also easier to impart my own aesthetic on a hero that way.
  • bewsii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    It's hard not to "care" about the income considering one submission can earn thousands of dollars per month, and with enough solid items the workshop could potentially replace a well-paying, full time career.

Yes, you should make items because you enjoy making items, and because you enjoy Dota 2. But I don't believe for a second that most people don't care about the money.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never said I don't care about money, haha.

I meant that when thinking about what item I'm going to make I take into account how much it's going to earn me. The money is very nice and luckily we can earn a lot no matter what we want to make.
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A preview of my progress on my Drow Set... Time to retopo. =)
    8613968596_b3cc8981a4_h.jpg
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are two new similar workshop contributors who submitted Lina set and teleported to 1st page; how did they manage to go so high at first try and day one without any kind of promotion or reputation (30-10 followers)?! This is so absurd and unbalanced!