Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• oDD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oDD polycounter lvl 18
    finally managed to upload my ward to workshop (the zip file was too heavy, I've reduced the size of textures)

my monitor is small + plus the preview for the wards is smaller than for the heroes so i didn't bother with ingame previews as they were tiny.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=135166966&searchtext=

ward_art.jpg
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Woah, so making 3d models for your own enjoyment is the rude thing to do now? Wow, just wow.

You were obviously doing it for personal gain as you uploaded it before asking permission from Hawf. I'm disappointed by the way you're doing things like this and trying to pin the blame on others.
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have such bug in the Dota test loadout. Anybody knows, what's the problem?
    bug.jpg
    хостинг фотографий
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz wrote: »
    Bake and base textures done! Still very very WIP :)

mountcolor.jpg

I like it :)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    aPZVHtD.png
    rather than go for a plated shoulder I gave him a large fantasy esque seashell shoulder pad
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

mountcolor.jpg

Dat Lion! :poly124:
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Wow a lot happened in a day, how is this even possible? Vlad, I hope you know well what happened to the guy that made the old timebreaker. Copyright infringement is no joke, and as an artist who has hundreds of items in workshop, you should have known better. If that's indeed supposed to be a joke, it's not really funny. It's also not a good way to offer someone help.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys!

First time posting around here, also pretty new to modeling, but anyway, I'm making a OD staff mostly for training and stuff, and so far it's pretty close to finished:

2qrUx

Pretty much started learning ZBrush and retopology this week, and that's the result. Any tips you guys would give? I know it's not up to what you guys do around here, but I'm pretty happy with it. I just need to figure out how to do all of the maps needed, touch up the current texture a bit and then learn to export.

Also, here's the triangulated wireframe if anyone wants to take a look:

2qrYS
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Wait, he uploaded the item to the Workshop?

If that's the case, this went really too far indeed.

And...that's it, hope this won't fuel more offtopic chatter.

Right now I have more posts about random stuff than actual modeling, I'd be happy if we can let this die and get back to the subject of the thread.
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii wrote: »
    Just keep in mind that if your details are not really refined on your high poly with 2K maps, they will barely show up (if at all) on your scaled down texture maps. You can lose a lot of information during this process if it's not planned ahead.

What is 2K map?
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    shellnut wrote: »
    What is 2K map?

2048 x 2048 resolution for what will eventually be a 512 x 512 texture. Starting with higher resolution maps can provide more detail when it's eventually downsized to the actual in-game resolution.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

Also, if the latter is true, do they plan on doing this with additional big name workshop contributors, for example, a custom Vidotto courier chest.

Valve, please listen to this guy!!!

(but i need one year in advance to make them =])

mountcolor.jpg

looking amazing man! really liked it

if i may suggest, you could work some more furs where they end, its too abrupt for now and make the furs look like they are spikes. problably is the idea but i think its too much.

how its on the dota view?
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2048 x 2048 resolution for what will eventually be a 512 x 512 texture. Starting with higher resolution maps can provide more detail when it's eventually downsized to the actual in-game resolution.

Oh I see. I thought so. I still don't know some of terms in 3D. hehehe. Thank you for the clarity. :D
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    looking amazing man! really liked it

if i may suggest, you could work some more furs where they end, its too abrupt for now and make the furs look like they are spikes. problably is the idea but i think its too much.

how its on the dota view?

Oh yeah, there is a lot of work to do, especially on the fur. It's just some base color with baked occlusion/cavity :)
    I didn't make the masks, so I don't know yet how it's on dota view

Thanks everyone!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Oh yeah, there is a lot of work to do, especially on the fur. It's just some base color with baked occlusion/cavity :)
    I didn't make the masks, so I don't know yet how it's on dota view

Thanks everyone!

It came out great man, really clean work. I'm interested in seeing it in game and with the animations, but I'm sure it will look great.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *double post whoops*
  • ZUBILO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good day to all! Long agonized over this sword and I can not finish it ... texture with low poly models are not compared with each other. texture like double! And in the end ... Max refuses to correct, constantly giving errors. If anyone can give advice - I will be very grateful.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
  • bewsii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    Your textures should be exactly 1 square to the right of your UV space. So click the button at the bottom left of your UV screen options, should look like a crosshair, then type 1 in the U space and hit tab/enter. That will move your mirrored UV's 1 square to the right, and you should have no problems from there.
  • ZUBILO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your textures should be exactly 1 square to the right of your UV space. So click the button at the bottom left of your UV screen options, should look like a crosshair, then type 1 in the U space and hit tab/enter. That will move your mirrored UV's 1 square to the right, and you should have no problems from there.

Thank you :)
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Robbiek1000, Onilolz

Great stuff :)
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    more work on fur n stuff...

mandrill_zbrush_wip03_zps605c045f.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys!

I'm trying to compile an item for the first time on the game and I keep getting errors with something to do with .mdl files. Here's the log:
    Starting compile of Fractured Meteor Bone...
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_color.tga
     - Compilation successful.
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_color.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_normal.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_normal.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_mask1.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_mask1.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_mask2.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_mask2.vtf
    Compiling VMT: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.vmt
    CTargetVMT::Compile OK! - materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.vmt
    Compiling DMX: models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.dmx
    Compiling QC: models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.qc
    Compiling MDL: models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.mdl
    CTargetMDL::Compile NO FILE! - c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.mdl
    CTargetMDL::Compile( fractured_meteor_bone.mdl ) - CheckFile failed - "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.mdl"
    CTargetMDL::Compile Failed - c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.mdl

Everything is apparently fine. The model (exported as a .FBX) is under the tris limit and connected to the bone joint, the textures are also on the right format and size.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Finally submitted something

Split blade of the Ascendants
    34D7F38474183C7F4791820F2AD841F597DCE66C

It's not very good but it's what I managed to do :P
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turns out i had a bit more spare time this evening, so heres a quick-ish colour test

mandrill_zbrush_wip04_zps2f6a72e9.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    belkun wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I'm trying to compile an item for the first time on the game and I keep getting errors with something to do with .mdl files. Here's the log:
    Starting compile of Fractured Meteor Bone...
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_color.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_color.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_normal.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_normal.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_mask1.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_mask1.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_mask2.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone_mask2.vtf
    Compiling VMT: materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.vmt
    CTargetVMT::Compile OK! - materials\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.vmt
    Compiling DMX: models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.dmx
    Compiling QC: models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.qc
    Compiling MDL: models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.mdl
    CTargetMDL::Compile NO FILE! - c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.mdl
    CTargetMDL::Compile( fractured_meteor_bone.mdl ) - CheckFile failed - "c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.mdl"
    CTargetMDL::Compile Failed - c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\obsidian_destroyer\0x01d7158a\fractured_meteor_bone\fractured_meteor_bone.mdl

Everything is apparently fine. The model (exported as a .FBX) is under the tris limit and connected to the bone joint, the textures are also on the right format and size.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

Sorry for bumping it, but it was on last page and I really need some help, as I've been trying to make this work for more than 3 hours.
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys ^^
    We finished the texture. I'll make the masks now and see how it looks in the game.
    QY94V1P.jpg?1
  • TommyTehZombie
    6H45mIS.jpg

Submitted my new Clinkz set, Link to the workshop page is in the image. Crits welcome.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    belkun wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping it, but it was on last page and I really need some help, as I've been trying to make this work for more than 3 hours.

Are you using .fbx? Because workshop is broken again D: Try using .smd files
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Are you using .fbx? Because workshop is broken again D: Try using .smd files

Yeah, I was using .fbx. Anyway, I figured it out after Googling a bit. I didn't triangulate the model and there was a pesky 5 sided polygon screwing everything up. Patched it up and now it's good to go!

If anyone wants to take a look:

BJtiHpC.jpg

It's pretty much the first model I fully finish, hopefully it looks good.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    2r0FL

kiting the spam like a boss hahaha

im going to try on someone else´s item now
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    that was awesome.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    2r0FL

kiting the spam like a boss hahaha

im going to try on someone else´s item now

Here we watch a champion at work. :thumbup:
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That guy is a ninja. I delete his post and 20 minutes later hes done it again! The least he could do is upvote...maybe favorite.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    This is what you need to to, click his name, takes you to his profile, over on the right there is a Block user and report violation. Do both, go back delete messages. Solved all my problems.

Just had to do it 5-6 times as they made new accounts :p
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HI guys. I just want to ask a question. If you're creating a bow for a certain hero do you need to create a separate arrow model? Not the quiver with arrow, I mean like this >>>
    > sorry for such a noob question. :D
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shellnut wrote: »
    HI guys. I just want to ask a question. If you're creating a bow for a certain hero do you need to create a separate arrow model? Not the quiver with arrow, I mean like this >>>
    > sorry for such a noob question. :D

Someone tried it for the soldier rockets in TF2, it was never implemented.
    I don't know Dota2 so it's a bet you're taking by doing a mod for arrows.
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, so trying to work out the final look for this guy with his courier accessories and flying mode...

mandrill_concepts03_zps11d7876f.jpg

if anyone has any thoughts/crits/suggestions, i'm all ears!

*edit* for the sake of completion, heres some more sketches - quite keen on the "Helicopter Pole" flying version, but if people have a stronger preference for some of these alternatives then fair enough!

mandrill_concepts04_zpsbdbf4bf7.jpg
  • bewsii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    The flying pole is far more interesting, imo. The wings are used too much, and the bottom ones (although really cool) look like the ones Tvidotto just used on his Panda courier.

That's why I insisted on Rockets for our chicken courier. Wings are boring ;P
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah just go with the helicopter tree, it's the most original idea.

And I'm not very keen on goggles with every courier.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Spinning pole for suuure!
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    I'll second bewsii.

Also, I think you should use the 'flying mode' cap and googles over the 'tribal markings' one, it looks a lot more courier-ish and neat overall.

Very nice work, I'm curious to see it animated!

On a sidenote, just clicked in your CGHub link, I knew saw your nickname elsewhere, congrats for your work there too ;)
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The flying pole is far more interesting, imo. The wings are used too much,
    marul wrote: »
    Yeah just go with the helicopter tree, it's the most original idea.

And I'm not very keen on goggles with every courier.
    Spinning pole for suuure!
    Rubus wrote: »
    I'll second bewsii.

Very nice work, I'm curious to see it animated!

On a sidenote, just clicked in your CGHub link, I knew saw your nickname elsewhere, congrats for your work there too ;)

thanks for the input and comments everyone - think i know where to go with things now!
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    The flying pole could be awesome. Just an idea, if he had a staff for when he's walking (and walk like Rafiki from Lion king?), so that there's some continuity from walking to flying. Either way it looks great =)

http://youtu.be/9SCFNbyamY8?t=1m41s

Hard to find rafiki walking. Pretty much witch docta!
  • Robbiek1000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In hopes of making everyone's day a little brighter I thought I'd share these. I did this last summer. I'm not much of a painter so please excuse the numerous flaws.

photo4_zps95ddb943.jpg
    photo2_zps7e9e592c.jpg
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    that's awesome. what is it made out of?
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PKSpark wrote: »
    Someone tried it for the soldier rockets in TF2, it was never implemented.
    I don't know Dota2 so it's a bet you're taking by doing a mod for arrows.

Oh, I mean if it's required or not?
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Definitely do the helicopter tree, I also don't feel the goggles or a hat are necessary, the design already looks great without it.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Helicopter cane! HELICOPTER CANE! I freaking loved that from the original concept! IF YOU GET RID OF IT... ALL OF MY HATE. Well, not really. I'll just be disappointed.
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr wrote: »
    The flying pole could be awesome. Just an idea, if he had a staff for when he's walking (and walk like Rafiki from Lion king?), so that there's some continuity from walking to flying. Either way it looks great =)

the original concept of the orangutan had him reliant on the cane to walk just like you say - with a baboon/mandrill i think he might be more sprightly and nimble, so not sure if it'll work. BUT i think its worth doing, so hopefully i can get a friendly animator to have a go at both

Definitely do the helicopter tree, I also don't feel the goggles or a hat are necessary, the design already looks great without it.

yes, going to try and keep it simple i think. See how it looks without too many extras

DashXero wrote: »
    Helicopter cane! HELICOPTER CANE! I freaking loved that from the original concept! IF YOU GET RID OF IT... ALL OF MY HATE. Well, not really. I'll just be disappointed.

helicopter cane is pretty much a dead cert right now!

...and finally today, managed to block out some of the accessories - hopefully get them into zbrush tomorrow...

mandrill_blockout01_zps21bc106c.jpg
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message