Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• RossC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the crit, I tried adding some colored highlights to the mane but it looked terrible so I just left it as white to match his default beard, when I tested it in-game it looked pretty good to me, especially since all of leshrac's entire body glows anyway. Maybe I'll try the highlights or a pattern again, or just change the color completely, I'll wait and see what feedback I get first.

Leshrac to me was always a super colorful hero so I'd say color highlights or gradients is the way to go. Post some color variations on the beard on here and the community can help you narrow down which colors fit best!
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Alright, took the workshop entry down for now, going to work on it a bit more before resubmitting.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Back from the dead - bought a new PC but the motherboard didn't work.

Can finally start working again, yay!
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pundt wrote: »
    @Pen
    @shellnut
    sweet set dude, saw this one when you originally posted it and never upvoted, def will today. Also a second bachelors? I see you weren't as jaded from the school system as I was, what are you going for?

Thanks man! I'm going for a business major hehe. :)
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Managed to post in wrong thread so i'll just paste it here.
    A small set for void is done. Rate if you like :)

Clicky
    banner_01.jpg
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    I decided to just finish up this item as life is a bit too busy for the rest:

ibnN31gKMvRpSw.png
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the crit, I tried adding some colored highlights to the mane but it looked terrible so I just left it as white to match his default beard, when I tested it in-game it looked pretty good to me, especially since all of leshrac's entire body glows anyway. Maybe I'll try the highlights or a pattern again, or just change the color completely, I'll wait and see what feedback I get first.

Try colouring the shadows and have white as the highlight/lighter parts. See how crystal miaden's fur isn't pure white its a ice blue shadows, light grey blue for mids and little flecks of white for the highlights.
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    yes they can rescale it on their side if needed

i like what you have, i like to think on the volume or "how many pixels it get in the screen" thy to use the same volume and you are good to go

i broke that with my snowl. I wanted to make it smaller and valve rescaled it, now its almost the size of a hero, i left some msgs asking to make it smaller but didnt receive a reply

cheers for the feedback - i'm going to go ahead with what i've got. sounds like things can be changed if necessary which is what i wanted to hear :)
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    would appreciate some c/c as i am working on it
    the "eyes" need serious rework though.

moko-mojo2_textured.png
  • Eiti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a weapon for Lycan and had a question about his weapon triangle count. I've searched the forums and haven't found any more information other than on his technical page which says his triangle count for "Weapon" is 600 LOD0/500 LOD1. However his default model has about 400 per weapon/hand, giving a total of over the 500 triangles. Is there a certain way to import his weapons so the triangle count is per hand? Or is it actually only 250 per hand? One thing I noticed was his weapons skin to wrist_r / elbow_r and wrist_l / elbow_l does binding each weapon separately resolve this?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This set seemed like the coolest idea in my head... A more badass battle armor for Lina. However, as soon as I put pen to paper it didn't seem to be going well. Figured I'd go further with the 3d to see how I could get it to look.

I am still pretty iffy on whether I should continue with it, so here's a wip. I could use some feedback and suggestions on the design. I'll probably end up cutting the kneepads and shoes, was just trying them out. I've gone back and forth on a few pauldron designs too.

n4bNiwc.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Frump wrote: »
    This set seemed like the coolest idea in my head... A more badass battle armor for Lina. However, as soon as I put pen to paper it didn't seem to be going well. Figured I'd go further with the 3d to see how I could get it to look.

I am still pretty iffy on whether I should continue with it, so here's a wip. I could use some feedback and suggestions on the design. I'll probably end up cutting the kneepads and shoes, was just trying them out.

n4bNiwc.jpg
    Eyepatches are the new hoods!!

Also, high heels and battle-armor. WHY?!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Eyepatches are the new hoods!!

Also, high heels and battle-armor. WHY?!

Heh, I knew someone would say that about the eyepatch. I've had long hair + eyepatch for her in mind before it became the latest hotness, not that it really matters, it works fine without it.

As for the shoes, I'm pretty sure they're gone. She flies anyway, and the tri budget will be really tight. Also I don't really want to spend time on them.

Now Windrunner, she's a girl who needs some shoes! Not sure what Valve artists fascination is with leaving the heel and toes exposed.
  • stevoqwerty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's kinda disappointing to see your set getting slowly push down the page as newer sets appears. and see your effort being wasted. but i won't give up, gonna keep going, not gonna give up till at least one set are put into the game. going to make a naga set now.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Anyways, still can't think of a head item for Lycan, beard turns him into a hobo and an eyepatch is already taken. I want something light and keeping most of his original face visible.

Something like this?

IQo4fY9.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    TFlNfiM.png
    Demonic quiver for Clinkz
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Those edges are way too sharp they wont bake very well.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    Something like this?

IQo4fY9.jpg
    This hat has been done already and it kinda looks out of place. Anyway, it's not a problem anymore.

Did you guys knew that comb-over is patented? Go America!
    4824B8F1A99EDC7080A45B05BFB174769DA58011
    Clack on it!
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This hat has been done already and it kinda looks out of place. Anyway, it's not a problem anymore.

Clack on it!

Looks classy. :)
  • shellnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    Managed to post in wrong thread so i'll just paste it here.
    A small set for void is done. Rate if you like :)

Clicky
    banner_01.jpg

So Awesome!!! :)))
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4

Clack on it!

Looks really weird with the long sidebeards, but I like the style :)
  • Zalakzik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask done! Concept and half of a texture by Robobo. GZBM7S1.jpg
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks Shellnut! Cool mask, Zalakzik, one of the best so far for jugger imo. That being said i miss some detail in the fur silhouette.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Finished my Brewmaster set, click the image for the workshop link and vote if you like it! :)

ySZR55v.jpg
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Finished my Brewmaster set, click the image for the workshop link and vote if you like it! :)

Nicely done. Although I suppose it could be considered tongue in cheek you might want to edit the description of the back piece.
    His armor is part of a old whine barrel and a spear which can pierce any armor and dragon skin. All Masters normally don't cut their hair, only when they lose a fight they need to cut off their hair so everyone can see who the best warrior is.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Coyo.Te wrote: »

moko-mojo2_textured.png

amazing! loved the model =]
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I've been working on my bow a bit today and decided to try it ingame just so I can understand the theory behind all that side of the process. I've used random textures just to get it ingame.

For some reason, the back end of the bow appears to be attached to the cloth of the cape somehow. It becomes stretched and animated.

I use Maya so I set the pivot to the origin, deleted history and froze transformations. I then selected both the bow mesh and the "attach_bone" and chose smooth bind with default settings. I then exported as an fbx again with default settings. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is attaching to the cloak.

Anyone got any ideas?

34905332.jpg

EDIT: I've just seen the Technical Thread so apologies for posting this in the wrong place.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    MdK wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been working on my bow a bit today and decided to try it ingame just so I can understand the theory behind all that side of the process. I've used random textures just to get it ingame.

For some reason, the back end of the bow appears to be attached to the cloth of the cape somehow. It becomes stretched and animated.

I use Maya so I set the pivot to the origin, deleted history and froze transformations. I then selected both the bow mesh and the "attach_bone" and chose smooth bind with default settings. I then exported as an fbx again with default settings. I can't for the life of me figure out why it is attaching to the cloak.

Anyone got any ideas?

34905332.jpg

EDIT: I've just seen the Technical Thread so apologies for posting this in the wrong place.

Check your skin weights using the paint skin weights tool, likely it has a small influence from a cape bone.

In the future in the smooth bind skin options make sure you are binding to selected joints. This will prevent you getting influences from other joints in the hierarchy apart from the ones you selected.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

moko-mojo2_textured.png
    Hey, you've got to fix the smoothing on that thing, not to mention that there's bunch of similar masks done.

Also, you can just carve out the eyes and try to match them with the original WD eyes
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    amazing! loved the model =]

O_O really? well thx :)

Hey, you've got to fix the smoothing on that thing, not to mention that there's bunch of similar masks done.

Also, you can just carve out the eyes and try to match them with the original WD eyes

smoothing is a good advice. gotta read into those smoothing groups i guess.
    additional I need to check the shader masks again, kinda looks a bit to shiny in my opinion. need a more woody look. and i gonna rebake the maps in a higher resolution. the eyes are actually caved in cause i wanted to prevent the looking through effect which you get at the back of polygons/normals.
    thx mate
  • ufodriverr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2628667ff3b6.jpg
    Video: http://www.youtube.c...d&v=hgDP4786lpw
    This is what i made. But when i trying to import this in dota 2 i have such error:
    Compiling MDL: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge.mdl
    CTargetMDL::Compile Failed - e:\vova\games\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge.mdl

Help with this pls.
    Log:
    Starting compile of Watcher Of Knowledge...
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_color.tga
    - Compilation successful.
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_color.vtf
    Compiling VMT: materials\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge.vmt
    CTargetVMT::Compile OK! - materials\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge.vmt
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_sentry_color.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_sentry_color.vtf
    Compiling VMT: materials\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_sentry.vmt
    CTargetVMT::Compile OK! - materials\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_sentry.vmt
    Compiling DMX: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_lod1.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_anim_spawn.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_anim_idle.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_anim_die.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_anim_idlerare.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_anim_portraitidle.dmx
    Compiling DMX: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge_anim_portraitidlerare.dmx
    Compiling QC: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge.qc
    Compiling MDL: models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge.mdl
    CTargetMDL::Compile Failed - e:\vova\games\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\wards\0x067d2221\watcher_of_knowledge\watcher_of_knowledge.mdl

• MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    hopgood wrote: »
    Check your skin weights using the paint skin weights tool, likely it has a small influence from a cape bone.

In the future in the smooth bind skin options make sure you are binding to selected joints. This will prevent you getting influences from other joints in the hierarchy apart from the ones you selected.

Great! That worked a charm, thanks very much.

Now my bow doesn't seem to pull back correctly during the attack animation and it moves around a little on the floor during the death animation but I'm sure I can work these out, thanks again!
  • stevoqwerty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone tell me how Valve's selection works? I've seen some sets that only has 2k views got accepted, and others that has 70k and lots of favourites did not. So confused.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Can anyone tell me how Valve's selection works? I've seen some sets that only has 2k views got accepted, and others that has 70k and lots of favourites did not. So confused.

As some people said around here, views and rating doesn't matter, as long as you make something good and the guys at Valve like it. There's a lot of stuff with 5 stars and thousands of views that never see the light of day, while there are also stuff with few of them that get added to the game. Don't let views and rating dictate if your item is getting on the game, instead, focus on making something really awesome.
  • stevoqwerty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    As some people said around here, views and rating doesn't matter, as long as you make something good and the guys at Valve like it. There's a lot of stuff with 5 stars and thousands of views that never see the light of day, while there are also stuff with few of them that get added to the game. Don't let views and rating dictate if your item is getting on the game, instead, focus on making something really awesome.

ah, you have given me some hope, now i'm going make a naga set and make sure the quality is superb. :)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    good god the item tricounts for some of these heroes are so picky
    Y8fqNm1.png
    this already looks way too low and it doesn't even meet Lod0
    Valve really needs to increase the tricounts by 100 at the very least
    It's not like a mere 500 extra triangles on a hero would make a decent computer chug or anything
    hell even 1000 total extra triangles divided among hero items would be fine
    but trimming this down and still trying to get it to look good is incredibly tedious.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I find myself in a bit of a bind. OD's armor is only 256x256 (too small IMO), and I'm not sure how to allocate that space for my UVs. (Note that the picture below, they are not scaled to size relative to one another), any advice for how to do this jigsaw puzzle?
    Nnsw4II.png
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Y8fqNm1.png
    It's not like a mere 500 extra triangles on a hero would make a decent computer chug or anything
    but trimming this down and still trying to get it to look good is incredibly tedious.

@Hawt try maybe something like this. It will save some tris and maybe will not look to bad. At first try to remove edges that will not be visible from top game view.
    rrpj4j.jpg
    Hope it will be somewhat help to you.
    ps. I also hate that some heroes have limit ~1200tri and some has ~500tri depending on what triangle count was on default items :/
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forcing lod0 on everything makes the game stutter, now add on top of that an average ruskie player with his potato-powered PC and you'll get why this limits are strongly enforced
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Question: How on earth do you create hud skins?
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical wrote: »
    Question: How on earth do you create hud skins?

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1brxzz/tutorial_resource_make_your_own_hud/

postet by wykrhm

moko-mojo2_textured4.png

so i got the smoothing right now i think. actually thought that option in blender was a solely displaying/rendering one, but it wasnt, it actually influences the outcome of the model ^^ been there, done that

rebaked all the maps in 2048x1024 and redid the coloring and shadermasking.

comments and further critic pls,
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1brxzz/tutorial_resource_make_your_own_hud/

postet by wykrhm

moko-mojo2_textured4.png

so i got the smoothing right now i think. actually thought that option in blender was a solely displaying/rendering one, but it wasnt, it actually influences the outcome of the model ^^ been there, done that

rebaked all the maps in 2048x1024 and redid the coloring and shadermasking.

comments and further critic pls,
    Show us the full model view
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moko-fullmodel1.png
    moko-fullmodel2.png
    moko-fullmodel3.png
    moko-fullmodel4.png
    moko-fullmodel5.png

I assume you mean this ? Ingame shots are the lod1 model
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I assume you mean this ? Ingame shots are the lod1 model
    yeah, that's it! It looks fine to me, you can add a bit smudging/unevenness on those paint strokes, but otherwise it looks pretty solid, nice going!
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, that's it! It looks fine to me, you can add a bit smudging/unevenness on those paint strokes, but otherwise it looks pretty solid, nice going!

you named it man! i was thinking as working on the texture, compiling back and forth that something on the paint wasnt alright. something was missing. good call. gonna try that out.
    thx for the help
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Y8fqNm1.png

I know what you mean man, I am used to high poly modelling for uses other than games and damn I am finding these tri limits taxing! I have to make a bow in 350 tris, I don't know how anyone has made one that looks like anything other than a boring standard one.
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally finished with all the lo-poly and uving, so back to more exciting things - like texturing!

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pixelherder/media/lopoly_wip2_zpse924a87a.jpg.html

still a long way to go, but the end is finally in sight!...
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finally finished with all the lo-poly and uving, so back to more exciting things - like texturing!

lopoly_wip2_zpse924a87a.jpg

still a long way to go, but the end is finally in sight!...
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    took me 4ever but here it is :D
    1fjQ58Q.jpg