Home Adobe Substance

Substance - Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    NicolasW wrote: »
    Not sure I get how it'd behave, could you illustrate the user case ?

sd_position_comparison.jpg

What I mean is that in various cases (specially working on mobile) the final lowpoly meshes are very simplified and don't carry all the depth the high poly ones have. In some cases I'm baking complex meshes into simple planes to create spritesheets.
    Being able to bake a position map using the high poly coordinates into the low poly UVs would be great in those cases. In the picture I had to UV my high poly mesh, bake it's position map, then transfer it to the low poly mesh, a bunch of extra steps.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Jerc wrote: »
    We are currently conducting tests to assess on the compatibility between Painter and Photoshop. Blending modes parity is a very tricky business.

Simple mask copying/exporting is very high on our priority list though and requires less work, it should happen within the next 2 months.

Where are you guys at with PSD export? Without it, Painter is a cool program to use for personal stuff but it's getting no traction with any freelance work. I can manually extract all the layers and masks out of Painter but it's a very slow process.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Where are you guys at with PSD export? Without it, Painter is a cool program to use for personal stuff but it's getting no traction with any freelance work. I can manually extract all the layers and masks out of Painter but it's a very slow process.

I should hopefully have news on the PSD compatibility in about a month.

Exporting masks is coming in a few weeks tough.
  • Owers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owers polycounter lvl 10
    It would be great if the Ambient Occlusion baker had a 'Ignore Backface' option, just like the 'Ambient Occlusion from Mesh' baker does. Areas that are covered by geometry should ideally be black instead of white, otherwise you get white outlines where they intersect like in the attached image.

In fact, it would be great if the Ambient Occlusion baker had the same level of control as 'Ambient Occlusion from Mesh'. It's very difficult getting the bake you want with just 'Precision Bias' and 'Distance Fade'.

EDIT: After spending more time tweaking bias and fade values, I managed to get an ambient occlusion map I like. I didn't realise Distance Fade needed such large values before it made a notable difference (increased 0.010 to 32.0), but I'm overall quite happy. Still, an 'Ignore Backface' option would be more than welcome.
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    Request: A multiple Blend Node.
  • JungGang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JungGang null
    T5ipCpU.gif?1

Really small bug...
    Shader Parameters are not updated instantly.
  • JungGang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JungGang null
    I want to use my own cubemap in substance painter.
    It would be nice if there were an easy cubemap loader, so if I upload 6 textures for each face, the loader automatically creates a cubemap that can be used as an envrionemt map.
    +) it would be even better if I could add a 'cubemap channel' and edit it on SP.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Guys,

after the latest update of Substance Designer to version 5.2 most of my custom nodes used in FX-Map nodes appear disconnected from the rest of the graph. If I move them, I can see an outgoing dashed connection line to nothing.

Relinking most of them is tedious but trivial, but some graphs are pretty complex and it would take some time to figure out what were the original connections. Is there any way to fix this? Or at least, is there any way to get the missing information of the old links in order to recreate them?

Thank you very much
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    That's strange, can you send me an example ?
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Nicolas,

unfortunately I am in the middle of a relocation and packed the workstation just today. I will contact you as soon as I can start Substance Designer again.

Thank you very much
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Would it be possible to bake position maps at 32 bits per channel?
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    I am wishing for a zimmerit substance that was applied to German tanks in ww2.
    I usually sculpt these in zbrush. There are about 6-8 different variations of this paste.

Ingredients
    The paste was composed of the following: Ar80aU7.jpg
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @electricsauce

You can bake a 32bit image by simply specifying an output format that support 32Bit (exr for example).
    But you won't be able to take advantage of the 32bits in a graph as the substance only supports 16bits for the moment.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hi there, I have an feature request. I work with an very heavy sbs file (tile atlas, 4096^2px) which consists out of 64 tiles, each a references sbs file (1024^2px).
    Exporting the bitmaps (eg. png) for this atlas takes several minutes and up to 10 GB of ram.
    Beside the problem that sometimes the export sometimes just simply does not output any bitmaps some kind of progressbar would be very very helpful.
    Atm. I have to monitor the ram usage to get at least a tiny clue what's (and if there's still something) going on

So progressbar for bitmap export: +1

cheers
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,
    I have found a very odd behaviour with the Pixel Processor, possible bug, in Substance Designer 5.2.1.

It seems that there are issues with input parameters. For example, adding a Float4 as input parameter, getting it from within the Pixel Processor and setting it as Output, doesn't produce the expected color. Same goes for the Float3 and Float2 used with Swizzles.

You can find a very simple sample here.

Thank you very much
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have this bug inside SD ? or when using the sbs in another application ?
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Nicolas,

The bug appears in Substance Designer, I have never tried exported Substances to any other application, therefore I cannot tell.

One odd thing I have found is that the issue appears in the Substance you are editing, but if you instance it into another graph, seems to be working. For example, if you instance the only New_Graph from my sample package into a new one, it works as expected. I think it would work in external applications too.

I have some other more complex Pixel Processors in my library and most of them (if not all) do not work properly anymore, even if they were not affected by the 5.2 issue with the inputs, and even when instanced. I think there can still be something wrong with the Pixel Processor, if you cannot pin it, I'll prepare and send you a sample.

Thank you very much
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks! We are able to repro and have found a fix.
    It'll be for the next update! (it should come quite soon)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you guys consider these few features for user friendliness?

-with one node selected, adding a blend connects the selected node to the input. Could you extend this to work with two nodes selected? This would speed up blending immensely!
    -Dragging a node onto a wire could insert it on the wire:
    SD_dragndrop.png
    -Reroute nodes, as in UE4 (and Blender etc.). Not the homemade construction I have right now, but an actual small dot that allows for cleaner substances.

These would all be lovely additions to my workflow in SD, and I'm sure they'd be universally useful as well.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much Guys,
    I appreciate the effort you always put in the support!

It seems that my extensive library is a nice testbed :D

Cheers
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Perlin noise zoom does some weird stuff at high values:
    SD_Perlinbug.png
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone else having issues with 5.2.1? It seems the POlygon 2 generator's gradient is broken. It just outputs a flat gray rather than the gradient, breaking pretty much all of my substances :o
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What is your build number ? (Help / About Substance Designer)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5.2.1 Build 16407 Release (2015-08-27), although Im'm not having the problem anymore. Is it possible this was fixed in an update (I'm on steam, so auto-updated), or have you never encountered this problem at all?
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There has been some issues with the polygon pattern, we quickly pushed updates on steam, but it was like 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, if it works now it's ok ;)
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    I have a issue in substance painter, the symmetry plane for the z axis is not in the middle
    of my mesh and if I paint this way the strokes are misplaced for the other side.

I've already checked if my mesh is the problem and reimported it,
    but it looks ok. Dunno what to do.

I use substance painter 1.5.0
    1i8g3ro.jpg
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The symmetry plane is placed at the center of the bounding box of the object, not on the pivot or origin when you export. We plan on improving this and give control over the offset of the plane.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I think I found a bug or oversite in "export with dependencies". It doesn't seem to export any photoshop document in which you are using only a few individual layers versus the entire flattened photoshop file or all layers.

If this is known or I'm missing a step, I didn't seem to find it with a google search.
  • DeepSpaceBanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeepSpaceBanana polycounter
    Hey guys, Im trying to use the polygon node to generate a polygon with random number of sides between 3 and 6. Here's how I set up my function for the Sides Parameter

16If7N6.jpg

I get this strange output, not what I was expecting it to do. Am I approaching this wrong or is this a bug?

93IE8JM.jpg

Also, I'm using 5.2.1,

P.S: Is there anyway I can link my live purchase to steam? When i was using substance designer 4, on steam it was always convenient with the autoupdates.

But I bought live on the website, and I'm not sure how to make my purchase show up on steam..
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    I get this strange output, not what I was expecting it to do. Am I approaching this wrong or is this a bug?
    Maybe a bit of both ;)
    In short : the fact that it looks like that is due to a known bug, but even if we would fix that bug, what you did would not produce the result you may have intended.

The Random node outputs a pseudo-random series of number in an iteration (or quadrant hierarchy), but always outputs the same series unless you change its random seed (so that you get the same predictable noises every time you render). If you use Random only once, or outside an iteration, it will always give you the same pseudo-random series comprised of only 1 number, which obviously does not look very random.

So if, as I suppose, you want to create a substance that draws only one polygon with a different number of faces every time you render it, you need to expose the number of faces as an input to the substance and draw a random number in the application that uses it (Unity, UE4, ...).
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    I have a request for the distance node. As it is now it spreads radially from the origin point (If you start with a square it will eventually turn into a sphere). It would be helpful if we had the option of tangential spreading where starting with a square would end in a larger + (cross) shape.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Mesh data combiner node: Very minor, but could we get the rest of the possible bakes in there? Like ambient occlusion from mesh (I usually combine the 2 kinds), transferred texture from mesh, bent normals maybe?
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is: our built-in filter/mask generators only have one Ambient Occlusion input (and none uses transferred texture/bent normal).
    I guess the best solution for you would be to make a custom version of this node, tailored for your needs.
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    I have an issue in 5.3.0, when changing some parameters for Environment (and sometimes in other panels) in iRay mode and undo it with ctrl+z, in interface all settings dissapearing.

Can't confirm why, but in some substances from the previous version meshes (obj) in viewport become inverted (like normals are inverted but they aren't).

And overall 5.3.0 is less stable than previous, had a lot of crashes.

After switching back from iray to realtime all channes dissapeared and renderring only rough channel.
  • Nexinumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    Couple of iRay/SD/SP requests and some possible bugs I thought of/found while testing tonight:
    • iRay is awesome. Had to get that in there. :)
    • The Ctrl+click to set the Focus Distance is perfect. Whoever integrated that needs a raise. Or at least a donut.
    • I know it's planned but I really hope iRay comes quickly to Painter. Not that I'm not thankful for it's inclusion, but now that I see what is possible I really really want it in Painter!
    • It would be great if in Designer when I use a new preview mesh in the 3d view if it would stay there after I save/close the package. It seems odd that it doesn't by default, so if it's an option somewhere I can't find it.
    • It would also be nice if the selected renderer was saved with the package. When I change to iRay from OpenGL it also seems to forget all of my iRay settings, such as min/max samples.
    • I'd love an option when using iRay to make Light Shafts always face the screen. They give such a great effect but it's tedious to always have to rotate them to be camera-facing after you move the camera.
    • The post effect under Glare for the Shape does not seem to save between sessions. In fact, it seems like a lot of settings don't (Focus Distance, Aperture Diameter) that I had assumed would be saved as part of the scene.
    • Things that are heavily DOFed out seem to stay grainy no matter what. It very well could be my ignorance in the iRay settings but I never did find a setting that gave me a clean DOF render.
    • I would love a future option to trigger a full render at whatever max settings iRay can handle such that if I get things set up (camera, post, etc) to where I like it I can trigger a render without having to wait for the 3d View to render it first.
    It is highly likely some or all of these things are planned or are already in there and I just never found them, so if so please correct my mistake. :)
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    there is a seam in a panorama map.
    E3gnLub.jpg

and if you can add blurring to the environment it will be awesome! thanks.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    teho wrote: »
    there is a seam in a panorama map.
    E3gnLub.jpg

and if you can add blurring to the environment it will be awesome! thanks.

Substance Painter or Substance Designer ?
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    I have that same seam in Painter.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Hopefully someone here has had a similar issue that I've had installing Painter 1.5.7

1) Download product to targeted file, Substance_Painter-1.5.7.exe file doesn't have logo, install anyways, receive shortcut error upon start up, restart pc, no logo at the taskbar or for the painter.exe file.

Beforehand I'd downloaded Designer and Bitmap2Material, but didn't have these issues. I've reinstalled twice, downloaded the newest gpu drivers, tried older versions. I don't know what else to try.

2) Upon starting Painter I receive a message saying there are shortcut conflicts that I need to adjust. I've gone to the shortcuts, but nothing's highlighted or suggesting it's an issue.

- Chase
  • weiswayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weiswayne polycounter lvl 10
    After I've installed the new updates yesterday, my Designer seems to crash everytime i try to bake a map. any ideas on workaround?
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you send me the meshes ?
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, we are able to repro the crash.
    Until we fix this, using fbx should work properly.

Also, importing/reexporting the mesh in 3dsmax solved the problem. It looks like we don't read the obj coming straight from zbrush correctly.
    I'll keep you posted.
  • weiswayne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weiswayne polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome, Thanks for the heads up, I'll give fbx a try
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    I'm having trouble baking a normal map from a mesh. It just crashes to desktop on "details map computation". I see someone else is having the same issue. I'm using OBJ from max the same as I always do, meshes which have previously worked also crash. Hopefully this will be fixed soon or someone can point out what's going wrong. The weird thing is it started happening in the previous version (build 16662) which I had previously used to bake without issue. So I updated (build 16827) and it still happens.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably the same bug as weiswayne, 5.3.2 is on its way.
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    Still having the same issue in 5.3.2 :(
  • makinmagic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    Substance designer crash:
    Receiving a crash on start up, when opening (or creating any new graphs) any .sbs files the program crashes.
    Version 5.3.2
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • makinmagic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    @NicolasW Thanks, seemed to of fixed it :)