Home Adobe Substance

Substance - Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    (5.3.2) I'm having crashes when trying to bake any sort of map with embedded images. Just crashes straight to the desktop.
    Using linked mode works fine...
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hi Nicolas,
    I've tried and it works fine :)
  • teho
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    in 5.3.2 make it tile photo greyscale isn't working and warp tool now blending strangly very noisy, but directional warp with the same greyscale input is blending smooth.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Co-worker is having a problem using brushes in Painter. Crashes everytime. 

Windows 7 - Xeon - 32GB Ram - Nvidia 760 (or 960) - Painter 1.6.1

https://i.gyazo.com/828396dd84dbf3f9ad3fd60ede624061.gif
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Does it happen only when he drags and drop stuff from the shelf? I've had a similar bug this morning but I didn't manage to reproduce it.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yep when anything is dragged from the shelf it crashes immediately (alphas, generators, procedurals, etc). 
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Did he send a crash report? I can't find a report corresponding to this description in our db.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Does he have a custom shelf and is the path valid ?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I've managed to copy a bunch of nodes into a different graph, where the nodes included the receiving graph itself. Quite stupid for sure, but is there a way to prevent me from creating graphs inside themselves?
  • makinmagic3
    Offline / Send Message
    makinmagic3 polycounter lvl 11
    I'm still receiving a crash when Substance Designer opens a new or existing project.
    Version : 5.3.3 
    Build: 16905

Only way around this is to do into the regedit and delete the view3d folder.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
     Some more Substance Painter feedback:

1. Exporter — how about the ability to export at a certain bit depth (with dithering on/off options), like .png 8bit. This would save time as some engines require 8bit input only.
    2. Double-clicking an image in the "Alpha" section of the shelf should make it the used alpha of the active brush, rather than having to drag it onto the Alpha slot (or so it would seem to me).
    3. Why can't the selected layer's mask be cycled to with C (Solo channels cycle key)? Could there perhaps be a dedicated view mask key?
    4. For fill layers only, what about a UI element within the layers palette that displays what channels a fill layer is contributing to. This would stop you from having to manually click a layer to find out what it does, though the layers palette might be a bit 'busy' in this case. Currently I've gotten into the habit of naming my fill layers with a prefix that denotes what a layer does (rmh_Noise), perhaps this could be automated?
    5. Would it be possible to edit a layer's blending mode in an inactive channel? Say I'm working in base_colour and I want to lower the opacity of this layers roughness, I have to switch to the roughness channel, make the tweak, then switch back again. Which is a bit tedious considering the delay in switching channels. I can kinda get around this by editing the layer's roughness value, but that's not the same nor as convenient. But I suspect technical limitations will mean this isn't possible.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    These are good requests, thanks for the feedback!
    About 3. you can display the mask by Alt-Clicking it in the layer stack. The map cycle through C cycle between the results of the entire layer stack, that's why we didn't put the mask in there, since it's specific to the current layer and would have been a little confusing.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Fair enough, and I didn't know about the alt-click so that's handy — I'd just been manually selecting the mask from the channel dropdown, which isn't too much of a bother but a dedicated key could be nice as well (even if it's unbound by default). In my mind "m" is for "shaded view" and "c" is "everything else" which is why I'd expect the mask to be included, but that's just me.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    I would like to see which version of Painter I am running when I hover over the desktop icon, just like Designer.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Would be nice if when I switch channels with "C" it would switch the active layer stack channel.
    Often I use "C" to look at say roughness, then start changing the opacity of layers, not realizing I am changing the base color.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Would be nice if when I switch channels with "C" it would switch the active layer stack channel.
    Often I use "C" to look at say roughness, then start changing the opacity of layers, not realizing I am changing the base color.

I added this request in our database. :)

Jet_Pilot said:
    I would like to see which version of Painter I am running when I hover over the desktop icon, just like Designer.
    I will see how we can do that.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Froyok said:

Wasn't this discussed a few months back? (Maybe in another thread). If this is done it should not replace C but be a modifier like shift+C, because on big projects the delay in switching between channel modes can be significant. Having to wait for that just to cycle through the viewport solo views would be torturous. So, please give us the option but don't replace the default behaviour.

Or alternatively/additionally what i mentioned a few posts up; have some UI indication for when the layer you're working with is 'out of sync' with what you're looking at in the viewport.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Bek said:
    Froyok said:

Wasn't this discussed a few months back? (Maybe in another thread). If this is done it should not replace C but be a modifier like shift+C, because on big projects the delay in switching between channel modes can be significant. Having to wait for that just to cycle through the viewport solo views would be torturous. So, please give us the option but don't replace the default behaviour.

Or alternatively/additionally what i mentioned a few posts up; have some UI indication for when the layer you're working with is 'out of sync' with what you're looking at in the viewport.
    Yes of course, the delay will be taken into account when implementing this change.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Thanks that's good to know! I just thought of something else that might be worth tweaking — when you add a mask with a colour selection, why not auto-activate the colour picking? When starting a project I'll import my mesh/maps and then create all the groups with their colour-id masks, so repeating add mask > pick colour > make selection gets a little tedious and auto-activating the colour picker would cut down time spent here. Especially since the mask and colour picker are on opposite sides of the UI, though I could of course customise that. Minor thing but it'd be good to see. I can't see any downsides to doing this; if you don't want the picker enabled straight away you can click basically anywhere to dismiss it.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
  • GhosTDoG
    Offline / Send Message
    GhosTDoG polycounter lvl 6
    Is today's built of Substance Painter 1.7.0 in the customer download section valid? Because the file is only titled as "substance" with no *.exe suffix.
    You can rename the file and install it - just want to know, if this is only a naming "accident" or a pre-built?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Get Substance Painter 1.7.1 instead. :)
    The download link should work a bit better (firefox don't like space in our download filenames and therefore remove everything after).
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Think I've got a bug on 1.7.1:
    EDIT — Better summary after more testing:
    exporting with converted maps will randomly export at a lower bit depth (16bit png exports as 8bit half the time). Confirmed happening with the following converted maps: normal map (directX), diffuse (greyscale and RBG), specular (RGB). Have not yet reproduced using regular (non-converted) maps — so the default Document Channels + Normal export is fine, while default PBR SpecGloss has this problem.

OP:
    I can't get an exact reproduction case here yet, but exporting the same document several times with png (16bit max) is outputting as 8bit png's some of the time. This is also using a custom export preset that packs converted channels. I just did a test and re-opened the project and exported, which exported correctly as 16bit five times, and next two were 8bit, next 3 were 16, next was 8 again... This was with no changes to the project in-between saves. If you want I can test other file formats / projects. I can also send you the project if you need it for debugging. For now here's the log (the test described above is near the end; the 12 second exports are the 16bit ones)

Actually sending the project won't be necessary; I just did two tests with a new document + basic cube, no imported maps, and the third export both times was 8bit. First test was opengl nm metal/rough hq, second was directX metal rough. This is the export preset I'm using.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It looks like an issue we recently added in our backlog. We have a way of reproducing the issue.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    substance designer Crashes on startup please help 

• Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    We got multiple reports of this startup crash, we are currently investigating the issue.
    It seems that Substance Designer 5.2.5 is working fine, so you can try installing this version meanwhile.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    just installed designer 5.3.3 for trial on a windows 7 system that has never held a prior install of designer. crash on launch here as well. i have some error numbers in case you care. it's not urgent but how would i get access to a prior release?

painter seems unaffected so far.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There is an issue with the IRay license system: Renaming the .\bin64\iray folder will fix the crash, we are working with NVidia to solve the issue asap!
  • walter
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    A feature request:
    To have the ability to retrieve the cameras from a FBX file (To have the same frame as my renders).
    Cheers.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Jerc said:
    There is an issue with the IRay license system: Renaming the .\bin64\iray folder will fix the crash, we are working with NVidia to solve the issue asap!
    thanks, that did the trick.
    if the issue takes a few days to sort out between companies, you might want to consider linking an unaffected release as the default trial download unless you have done so already.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    A fixed build has been released, sorry for the trouble!
  • z3phon
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    Could someone please help me out. Why does my rounded cube display like this in openGL?

• cgvinny
    Offline / Send Message
    cgvinny polycounter lvl 9
    Can you check the scale value in the material settings ?
  • z3phon
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    cgvinny said:
    Can you check the scale value in the material settings ?
    Thank you, that did the trick. The scale was set to 1 by default for me. Setting it to 0 fixed the issue. 
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I have been having some crashes when I open a graph, it's computing nodes but then I try to change the resolution, randomly that makes it crash. Using version 5.3.4
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    bugo said:
    I have been having some crashes when I open a graph, it's computing nodes but then I try to change the resolution, randomly that makes it crash. Using version 5.3.4
    Sounds like a bug I have added to our database yesterday. Do you have a repro case ?
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    There seems to be either a written miscommunication between versions or technical.  Some of the material makers you have included, lets take the included "Dripping Rust".  The positional input it takes is.. grayscale.  Yet the positional maps the engine bakes are colorized.  Others though take the colorized map.

Is this actually requesting a position map, or is this a misnamed request from a previous version for another map type?  In either case it needs to be cleared up.

As an aside does anyone know of a program that bakes position maps in the same method as Substance?  Since the engine is still stuck at 1:1 versus powers of two, for rectangles, I have to squish the maps it creates.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    oXYnary said:
    There seems to be either a written miscommunication between versions or technical.  Some of the material makers you have included, lets take the included "Dripping Rust".  The positional input it takes is.. grayscale.  Yet the positional maps the engine bakes are colorized.  Others though take the colorized map.
    We updated all our generators to handle a colored position map (3 axis), the dripping_rust generator included, however it's possible that some smart materials still have the old version if it was made before and has not been updated manually. Is that your case ?

• rmercier
    Offline / Send Message
    rmercier polycounter lvl 4
    I have already submitted this request to the uservoice forum but I thought maybe I should add it here also:
    Tessellation shader on Mac OSX

Tessellation shader for height/displacement is available for Windows but not for OSX where the menu is greyed out, both in SSE2 and OpenGL.
    The feature would also be nice in Designer and Painter but it really is essential in B2M since you currently have to tweak the height map without being able to see the result of what you are tweaking in the viewport since there is no displacement!
    Materials > Default > Shader > physically_[...] > Tesselation
    Also, I think it should be written tessellation, not "tesselation".
    https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/270785-bitmap2material/suggestions/11448168-tessellation-shader-on-mac-osx
    (I currently have a hackintosh with a GTX 680 card if anyone's curious)

EDIT: Also, what do you guys think about using Substance as a heightmap editor?
    World Machine for example has a very poor UI (bad shortcuts, lots of clicks to link/unlink nodes, no panel system, always have to switch between graph and preview) but very powerfull erosion nodes. Substance on the other hand doesn't have any built-in erosion nodes but has a wonderfull UI and viewport. Is there anyone else who would like to use Substance to edit heightmaps?
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Froyok said:
    bugo said:
    Sounds like a bug I have added to our database yesterday. Do you have a repro case ?
    Unfortunately none, its quite random, i wasnt able to do it again :(
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Another bug I found, but I'm not sure if this is an actual bug... on the Polygon 2 when you randomize it's rotation through function I get some quite awkward results, not just the rotation but also the Sides. Any ideas?

• oblomov
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, it's a known bug (or at least an extremely counter-intuitive behaviour that ought to be fixed) : when plugging a function in a sub-graph parameter, the function is not evaluated just once and the resulting value used whenever the parameter is used in the subgraph, as one would expect, but instead the function is re-evaluated everytime the parameter is used in the sub-graph. Which means that if you use random in that function, you get different value everytime the subgraph uses that parameter.

• AlexBes
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexBes polycounter lvl 4
    Hello everyone!
    Hope you can help me out. Painter just crashed with a few days of work and now I get "The selected project isn't valid". Is there any way I can restore it?
    Thank you!
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    AlexBes said:
    Hello everyone!
    Hope you can help me out. Painter just crashed with a few days of work and now I get "The selected project isn't valid". Is there any way I can restore it?
    Thank you!
    What is the exact error ?
  • AlexBes
    Offline / Send Message
    "[Project management] The selected project 'C:/Users/Alex/Documents/_CurrentProject/Tools Pack/scenes/painter/chainsaw/chainsaw.spp' isn't valid!"
    Crash happened when I tried to rebake textures with higher resolution. 
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Can you send me the project by PM ?
  • AlexBes
    Offline / Send Message
  • Nexinumbra
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    Painter Feature request - I'd love to be able to bake information from my mesh based on my layer stack. For example, let's say I have stamped out a bunch of normal map info from alphas. I'd like to take that and use that combined normal map to bake a different curvature/AO map that I can then feed into generators higher up in the stack.

Likewise, I'd love it if the stack had options (maybe as special layer types?) that would allow it to dynamically inherit info from below. For example, if I had a Substance imported and was using it as a fill layer in my stack, and it had parameters that I could change, it would be awesome if the height/normal/etc information from that layer could dynamically be referenced by generators further up the stack. So if I change the parameters of that one layer, any generators that rely on the height/normal information of the model would be able to read the updated height/normal of the layer stack, dynamically updating as it went.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Both of these requests are things we are thinking about.