Home Adobe Substance

Substance - Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Replies

• Nexinumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    Another feature request. This one I blame entirely on what happens when artists go out to dinner together and start to discuss Substance Designer. :wink: 

Designer feature request:  I always found it kind of weird and awkward that baking texture information in Designer is done by this separate UI. It's not frustrating to use, just seems to break up the workflow of the node-based system of the rest of the program. The "we've had some beers so here's an idea" that came out of it was the idea of having a node that represents the model that you have brought in, and it would have a series of output connectors that you can then link to whatever places in the rest of your graph that you need them. The node itself could have options (when selected) for allowing you to only show connectors for bakes you want (so if you're not using Position there won't be a connector for it if you disable it), possibly a button for rebuilding the maps (in case you change your model), and maybe a way of setting those outputs as parameter inputs. The benefit we see of doing it this way would just be to help refine the process of using a mesh in Designer, and how it integrates into the graph you're working on.

I've attached a rough mockup for what we were thinking. Definitely could be done better but I thought a picture may help explain it. 

Just a random idea. Food for thought. I love SD/SP and love the opportunity to give suggestions, so thanks for the open forum.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Hello, sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've done some Googleing and several sources say you can't do it, which sounds crazy.  Is there any way, if your project has several materials, that you can output one map for each channel - as an example: one normal map with each of the 4 materials on it - so that it's pretty much game ready? Having to comp everything in PS with masks is a major pain and a huge time waste.  
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I'm guessing you are talking about Substance Painter. There is curently no way to merge multiple texture sets at export time. Texture Sets are meant to be separate materials with each their own UV set. If you have multiple elements that will end up on the same UV set, you should not separate them in multiple texture sets.
    That being said, we know a lot of users do this and we will add a way to automate merging texture sets in the future.
  • Son Kim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Substance Painter feature request.

Export mesh! 

I accidentally deleted my low res mesh from my harddrive, this was after saving the it as a SPP file. So it'd be nice to have a export mesh option in the future.
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Son Kim said:
    Substance Painter feature request.

Export mesh! 

I accidentally deleted my low res mesh from my harddrive, this was after saving the it as a SPP file. So it'd be nice to have a export mesh option in the future.
    You could use Recuva or a similar tool to get the file back if you're quick enough.
  • PicSim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PicSim polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys,

When I import a simple sphere in fbx, without baking, I can see exactly where unwrap's seams are on it. Is it a bug or normal?
    And when I baked a normal map, I can clearly see it through. The screenshot is without baked normal map, only low poly.
    Cheer ;)

[url=http://postimg.org/image/4b7lari2l/][img]http://s22.postimg.org/4b7lari2l/seam_sphere_bug.jpg[/img][/url]
    http://postimg.org/image/46ukvi39f/
  • PicSim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PicSim polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys,

When I import a simple sphere in fbx format, without baked maps, I can clearly see the unwrap's seams on it. Is it a bug in the viewport or normal? When I applied the normal map on it, the seams are still there. But in Marmoset, it disappears with the normal map.

Cheer ;)

No normal map applied on it in Substance.

Normal map applied on it in Substance.

Normal map applied on it in Marmoset.

• Son Kim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    edit: nevermind not a bug with SP, it's a bug with Photoshop.

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    CrowXD said:
    I got substance painter 2 from steam store but my iray dialog box is greyed out, how can i access Iray, does anyone know why this is happening, its so strange  :/ 
    You can either press F4 or use the dedicated button in the main toolbar to switch the interface to the Iray interface mode.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    May or may not be a bug...
    By placing .sppr files into the C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Substance Painter 2\shelf\presets\tools folder didn't work. 
    Yet drag and drop them directly on your Tools tab in Substance Painter and select the Import to shelf option:
    Did work.

Rock on substance dudes -n- dudettes (ô¿ô)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It was a tool preset right ?
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon

Yes, from gumroad = https://gumroad.com/substancetools#

proper location to place the files?

Should mention I'm using sp 2.0.3

• tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon

Update...

Looks like that the drag and drop only brought them into the shelf/tools for that one session, they where not in there, the next time I loaded sp 2.

I looked into the file folder @ C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\Substance Painter 2\shelf\presets\tools folder and it shows 2 sets of the files (copied and pasted and the drag and dropped) obviously one has to be deleted.

But still none are showing in the shelf.

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Did you wait a little bit to see if they appear later in the shelf? I noticed sometimes files in the shelf that are not part of the default allegorithmic shelf will appear later than the other ones, like 10 to 30 seconds.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon

Hi Jerc,

I clear the folder out and did another drag and drop import to shelf, and it took more like 5 minutes for it to load up...

Your right though, it did load after awhile (that normal to take that long?)

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It definitely isn't normal :)
    We'll take a look and try to find what's going on. Do you ahve any antivirus that could maybe try to scan these files as they are being copied into your documents folder?
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    Have found maybe a bug or idk, but after 30-40 mins of working in Painter 2, layer's filters and opacity stop working (responding). Changing it and nothing happens. And I'm trying to use Tri-Planar projection and almost every time got seams for different patterns. The Position and World Space Normals baked with correct settings in Painter 2 (bsphere/all axis), but still there a lot of seams.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Jerc said:
    It definitely isn't normal :)
    We'll take a look and try to find what's going on. Do you ahve any antivirus that could maybe try to scan these files as they are being copied into your documents folder?

I'm running an aging q6600 cpu, gtx960 gpu, 8 gig mem, win7, latest drivers & Norton internet security. All the above is probably contributing to the slow response as well.   Thanks for your help Froyok and Jerc (ô¿ô)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    teho Could you attach a log file as well as a screenshot of the triplanar issue? What kind of material/filter are you trying to use with Triplanar and on what kind of mesh?
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    Two suggestions:
    The ability to switch all the filtering of a project from Bilinear | Sharp to Bilinear | HQ (and vice/versa).
    Updating all the updated filter/generator to the latest.
    Thanks.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Tiny issue: On the splatter circular node, the Pattern_Specific slider has a 0.45 step which is kinda weird
  • Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Bruno,

I can't reproduce your issue and every slider on the Splatter Circular (grey scale & colour) is working normally for me. Can you share more information, please?

Best Regards
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    My request to  Allegorithmic :   Please make just another, layer based  "Photoshop" or "Illustrator" with all those cool Designer features/ tools as filters over "smart" objects  .  The one where I could just select an object of screen , move, rotate, scale it precisely from a specified center of transforms  without messing with transform 2d nodes.    Where objects could all have  inherited levels and color adjustments/ with just copy/crop / shift wrap/ array /scatter options in a single click.

And most importantly with objects being able to be instantly  deep composed with Z combine. + AA mask.  Look at Blender's  Z combine node for the AA mask guide.   And Fusion "Merge" node as an "instant" example

With all that cool procedural staff  working scale independently  not being stretched in other scale factor.  Look at Filter Forge  for the idea.  And without  that annoying back to 256 rescaling I have constantly cope with in Designer. 

Having been working with Designer for years  already I  am  once again looking sadly on my own  Gordian knot  of  nodes I did just a week ago .  

Going back to Photoshop I often feel like a breath of fresh air   and  really starting to realize how easy, simple and elegant  linked smart layers are.   As  the layer approach in general.    To bad Adobe just doesn't care of specific texture artist needs.

ps.  Maybe even with brushes that procedurally alternate DIFFERENT and RGB- COLOR  dab images following  along a vector curve . Nozzles, Picture tubes or something .  Look at old Creative House Expression "skeletal" strokes for the idea.   Would be nice in Substance Painter too
  • Bruno Afonseca
    @Fabian Fischer This is what I mean:

That's a screenshot straight from the splatter circular, on the most recent SD build. Not a bug per se, just a very minor annoyance.

-x-x-

Two more issues:
    1 - Tile Sampler has a filtering selector for the patterns, but between bilinear and nearest there's no difference. I wanted to get super sharp patterns but it's giving me artifacts.
    2 - The Light node presumes the input is an OpenGL normal map, would be cool to have a selector inside of it.
  • Apheleion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    I can't do anything on substance designer it crashes anytime i make a new substance and drag and drop a design into the editor. It happens every time with every design and texture i have no idea what the problem is i have uninstalled and re installed 3 times now can any please give me some help with this situation any and all help is greatly appreciated.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Could you please share your specs? A dxdiag file would be best.
  • Apheleion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    I get out of work at 1am so ill post adxdiag file when i get back.
  • Apheleion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    here is my dxdiag information.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Could you try switching your engine from Dx11 to CPU (SSE2) in Tools>Switch Engine?
  • Apheleion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    Tools> switch engine? sorry but could you delve into a little more information on this.
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    The "Tools" menu has an entry named "Switch engine" which allows you to choose whether the substances in Designer's graph editor and 2D view are rendered using the CPU (SSE2) or the GPU (DX10 or OpenGL, depending on your OS). I doubt this will solve the problem in this particular case though: since your machine is an Alienware, I suspect you are a victim of the "Respawn" issue. Alienware and Dell machines come preinstalled with a software called "Respawn" which is meant for automatically backuping and restoring files. It adds icon overlays in Windows' file explorers to display the status of each file (backuped or not). Unfortunately, this feature is bugged and causes some other applications to crash (including all our products). To fix this, the simpler (but heavy handed) approach is to simply deinstall Respawn. A more subtle way is to deactivate the shell extensions that are responsible for the icon overlay  using a shell extension manager (e.g. ShellExView). The extensions that need to be removed are:
    DBROverlayIconBackuped.DBROverlayIconBackuped
    DBROverlayIconNotBackuped.DBROverlayIconNotBackuped

• Nexinumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    Designer feature request:

Allow us to pan further in the Node Preview window. Sometimes I want to get really close to the outer edges of my node's preview but the camera clamps it for some reason. In Photoshop you can hit "F" and cycle through view modes and the second mode is what I was hoping for so I can pan further.
  • Apheleion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    So switching the engine did not work but i will try to uninstall alien respawn and thank you very much for going into such detail
  • Apheleion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    it was totally the alien respawn, it works perfectly now thanks so much for the help weeks of agonizing why it was not working is now over!
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    painter bug:
    Sometimes the screen goes black when u apply post effects on top of iray render

on a side note it would be nice to have an optionto switch to zbrush mouse shortcuts

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    painter bug:

Can you attach your log file ? It should work fine.
  • demigodssw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    Froyok said:
    painter bug:

its working fine now i exported the textures and made another substance file to render it i think it created problem because i opened substance painter 1 file in substance painter 2 and i was using old pbr shader

• Redczech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redczech polycounter lvl 8
    Tablet/pen input pressure sensitivity curves or stroke smoothing would be a cool feature.

• z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    I've heard the the recent UDIM support in substance painter doesn't allow painting across multiple tiles. Is there any plans of improving the UDIM support which allows to paint across multiple uv tiles in the future. If yes how soon could we see that update, because right now not being able to paint across multiple uv tiles kinda defeats the purpose of having UDIM support. 
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    i wanted to add a comment to this suggestion: https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/13403688-scale-smart-materials

but commenting/voting isn't working for me at the moment so I'll paste it here instead:

I was going to create a similar ticket, but I'll add this suggestion onto your own. Still on 1.7.3 so apologies if SP2 makes this redundant already:

Another problem when using smart materials (and masks, I assume) across assets is the UV scale often mismatches; materials created on an asset with a 2:1 texture ratio will need to have all their inputs adjusted if they go onto a 1:1 asset.

So to avoid this, I suggest having the "locked" U & V scale tied to the documents texture resolution, and not always default to 1:1. This way you can share inputs between assets with different UV ratios, and not have to manually adjust every layer/mask scale.

• teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    While exporting normal map from Painter 2.1.0 I get some uvs rendered black... Mesh is ok, no inverted polys or other stuff. The original normal map was baked in Painter too without those artifacts.
    Thanks.

• teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    I'll add that this is happening only when exporting 4k textures, 2k is ok.
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    Painter 2.1.0: the Properties toolbar very often is closing randomly when switching between layers. And it is a floater window on other screen.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    @teho
    Can you attach your log file ? See : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file
    I would suggest looking again at your mesh, black square like that usually happen when we generate an incorrect data (like two overlapping vertices).
    I'm not sure to see what you are calling the "properties toolbar", is that the color editor window ? If yes, this window is automatically closed when you switch between the mask and the content of a layer, because otherwise we don't have the context anymore of the color we are editing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Would it be possible to allow the shelf tabs to be fully movable and stackable, without the restriction to 3 categories ? For instance, I would personally love to have "Materials" and "Smart Materials" always on display as opposed to hiding behind each other - and of course that's just one permutation out of hundreds of possible layouts.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    A rework of the shelf is in progress and should allow this kind of things. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That's fantastic to hear as that would definitely speed up the workflow - even if by just a tiny bit.

Something else that has probably been requested already : The ability to copy/paste the settings of a procedural texture onto another copy of it, so that the exact same output could be used on different layers. 

This would be useful when the same procedural is being used on two or more layers, with each requiring different filters (for instance : adjusting the value of the Height, while tinting Color, and blurring Roughness - meaning 3 layers with 3 procedural textures requiring the exact same inputs).

I suppose that an instancing system could work too, but that sounds more complex to make happen than a simple "right click > copy/paste settings".

Thanks for the fast response time and follow-ups by the way ! Much appreciated.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    pior said:
    Something else that has probably been requested already : The ability to copy/paste the settings of a procedural texture onto another copy of it, so that the exact same output could be used on different layers.

We would like to go further than that, we would like to add the ability to reference layers into other layers. Which would make things even more flexible. We need to find a way to make it user friendly however.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Is there any plan to add an option to bake using the GPU for faster speeds similar to what Knald is able to achieve?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    All the bakers but the high poly based ones are already GPU based and pretty much instantaneous.
    High poly based AO and Tangent Normal bakes are CPU based but multi threaded and should not take more than from a few seconds to a couple dozen seconds with really heavy meshes. Anti-aliasing will increase bake times substantially though.
    Do you experience slow bakes in SD or SP?