Home Adobe Substance

Substance - Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Replies

• Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    EArkham wrote: »
    Double post!

The latest build of Substance Painter, 1.3.4, is unusably slow in the viewport. I literally can not even put my mouse over the viewport without it grinding to a halt.

It's only using 15% max (usually around 10-12%) of my processing, and doesn't appear to be grabbing tons of memory. But anything that requires the viewport to render (moving the mouse over it, changing the panarama opacity, etc) and the whole thing just stops for several seconds.

Windows 7, 16 GB memory, Nvidia GeForce 680GTX w/ 4 GB. Graphics drivers up to date.

Actually more than just the viewport is ridiculously slow now. It takes several seconds to remove blank channels, even if the mesh is a simple cube.

First of all, be sure to run Substance Painter alone. Close the maximum of applications you can and see how it goes. It could be related to an other application eating all your VRam.

If it stills deosn't work, please give me the exact version of your nVidia drivers. This way I will try to switch to the same version and see if I can reproduce the issue. I would also suggest to downgrade the drivers to see how it goes.

If after those two solutions it still doesn't work, let me know.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    I always run Substance Painter by itself. I get brush stroke lag if I don't, even before this last update.

Driver version is 350.12. I was using an older driver until today, when I updated them to make sure that wasn't the problem before reporting it. I don't remember what version that was, but I remember the date of release was around Feb 10th.

I normally run "Medium (16 spp)" quality, but setting it on low has no effect. Still extremely slow. If I solo channels instead of the full material mode, it helps a tiny bit, but I can still barely move the camera, and I can't paint at all. I can still drag materials/smart materials into layers if I'm patient enough to let them process.

I was having no problems at all before this latest version, and I'm having no problems at all with other programs (Substance Designer, 3ds Max, Photoshop, XSI, Mudbox, 3d Coat, etc), so I'd be hard pressed to believe that it's a hardware issue on my end.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Do you have multiple screens ? Can you try running on only one of them (just for testing) ? Unplug the monitor on the GPU itself, turning off the monitor will not be enough.

Can you also send me by PM your log file ?
    Findable here : C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    Do you have multiple screens ? Can you try running on only one of them (just for testing) ? Unplug the monitor on the GPU itself, turning off the monitor will not be enough.

Can you also send me by PM your log file ?
    Findable here : C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter

I don't use two monitors, though I really should because it'd be extremely useful.

Log sent via PM. Had to zip it up due to size limits on the forums.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I don't use two monitors, though I really should because it'd be extremely useful.

Log sent via PM. Had to zip it up due to size limits on the forums.

Thanks for the log file. I see nothing wrong in it unfortunately.

Does the interface slow down even with no project opened ?
    Can you try with different meshes and tell me how the performances goes ?
    If you happen you encounter a mesh very slow in Painter 1.3.4 don't hesitate to send it to me.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent a PM.

Found a mesh that gives me the problem if I load it up in the current version, but does NOT give me the problem if I load it up from a file I'd saved in the previous version! Exact same mesh.
  • WarrenM
    Can I ask where support for PSD files is on the list? Exporting, at least. Artists on the team here have been asking me what I know about it and I have no idea what to tell them. They are SUPER interested in using Painter to generate masks and then exporting those masks in an easy way...
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We are currently conducting tests to assess on the compatibility between Painter and Photoshop. Blending modes parity is a very tricky business.

Simple mask copying/exporting is very high on our priority list though and requires less work, it should happen within the next 2 months.
  • WarrenM
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Sent a PM.

Found a mesh that gives me the problem if I load it up in the current version, but does NOT give me the problem if I load it up from a file I'd saved in the previous version! Exact same mesh.

Just to confirm over here too : I'm able to reproduce the issue.
    It seems that some specific meshes kill the performances of the whole application for no reason.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Question - Why does substance keep some dependencies linked even though they're not being used in the package anymore? Is there an easy or automatic way to clean this up?
    I just had to manually delete a lot of instances referenced 0 times on my graph, one by one, it doesn't even allow you to select multiples and delete.
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Their is indeed a bug but we are having difficulties to find the 100% repro case. If you manage to find it, ping me :)
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Has it occurred anywhere that your working on a file in painter, save it. Then try reloading the file to work on it again and it tries load, can see the mesh and previous work but the status bar crashes about half way before being fully loaded?

*[Edit]*
    It finally loaded after about 4 more crashes. May be my system, tis getting very old (
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It may have to do with your vram, 1GB is pretty low if your project has high resoltuion textures.
  • WarrenM
    Would like to bump the request I made earlier about not sending keyboard input to the viewport if I'm typing in a text field. Got burned by that again today and uttered several expletives. :)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    tungerz wrote: »
    Has it occurred anywhere that your working on a file in painter, save it. Then try reloading the file to work on it again and it tries load, can see the mesh and previous work but the status bar crashes about half way before being fully loaded?
    I have something (kinda) similar; sometimes when I first start painter and load my project it will fully utilise core3 for, say, 10 seconds, and from there it will either: load the project (I can now see model in viewport and red progress bars start) or do nothing and hang until closed. So sometimes to open this project I have to start painter multiple times. Damn I need a new gpu.
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Thanks Jerc and Bek,
    I'll have to start saving for a new gpu. System too
    Speaking of.....im really interested in the imacs (been running Windows forever)
    Hows allegorithmic with macs/amd gpus?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    tungerz wrote: »
    Hows allegorithmic with macs/amd gpus?
    AMD graphics should be fine, I use a R9 280X myself and it seems most issues people may have are with NVidia cards.
    Macs are more likely to get issues though, especially with Painter because Apple update their drivers every century and Painter is very GPU dependent.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Also because new Apple system today still use "old" GPU (such as GTX 750 an so on).
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Feature request: Would it be possible to bake position maps from high poly meshes into low poly ones? That could help get some extra detail in mask generators and tri-planar projections. Sometimes I also use SD to bake spritesheets from 3d meshes into planes and having the position map from a plane doesn't help much!
  • Trucy
    Offline / Send Message
    Trucy polycounter lvl 9
    Today I opened the substance painter and I noticed that anything from tab 'shelf' automatically load with substance painter. The items are still in the folder, but some items I can't put manually in substance painter, like material.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, three weeks ago everything was normal.
    I use Windows 8.1, and I used the 1.3.2 version of the substance painter, I uninstalled 1.3.2 and installed the 1.3.4 version, but the problem persists

2296293c2e.jpg
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Make sure the folders in the shelf are not set to read-only. It will prevent Painter from adding them to the shelf. It will be fixed in the next release.
  • Trucy
    Offline / Send Message
    Trucy polycounter lvl 9
    @Jerc Thanks for your help Jerc. I do what you said but I had another issue. When I uncheck the "read-only" and click ok, the windows asks me administrator permission (I give the permission) and the folder close, but when I go back in the properties of folder, it is set as "read-only". I don't know if this is a bug, but its happen with all the folders on my PC. I tried some solutions I read on google, but not resolved. The only emergency solution is install windows 7 on another partition.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    That's a normal behavior on Windows. No need to reinstall your OS. :)
    Can you try deleting the "allegorithmic" folder present in the shelf folder and restarting Substance Painter ?
    This folder :
    C:\Users\*username*\Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\allegorithmic

This will force Painter to reinstall the shelf and should reload it properly (might take a few seconds to parse the folder).
  • Trucy
    Offline / Send Message
    Trucy polycounter lvl 9
    I needed another OS, because I need to deliver that job quickly.

I tried this and didin't work (I tried to restart the PC and didin't work too =/) the painter only search for updates.

I tried to use a software to uninstall all the software information (including the registry) but it's not working, when I install the Painter its starts with the UI that I modified, indicate that software didin't remove all painter information. I don't know if that would solve the problem, but...

(and sorry for my bad english, I'm trying to improve xD)
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I sent you a PM for requesting further details.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Tiny request - maybe the safe transform nodes could have vertical/horizontal flip too?
    Also, the material blends could use the new blend modes :)
  • StereoVinny
    Offline / Send Message
    StereoVinny polycounter lvl 9
    Substance Designer 5.0.3

Working with FX-Maps, whenever I do an operation that yields an error (i.e.: division by 0), the FX-Map compiler (is this a thing ?) seems to crash and becomes unresponsive. You can still work in SD normally though. However, if you close the application it will still remain active in the windows processes and you have to kill it in order to relaunch SD.

This kind of stuff happens quite often as the default value for floats is 0, If you don't change the value before you connect the nodes, you risk having this bug.

Thanks !
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having to work on 4096x4096 textures lately, and as a result I often use the "suspend engine" feature frequently. What I do is work at 2048x2048, then suspend the engine, scale up my graph, and then start the engine again and let it compute the outputs.

However I'm finding that if I do this 3 or so times in the same session, Substance Designer locks up briefly and then crashes. This is with fbx objects and tga outputs. It's not repeatable per se, but it seems to happen often. It acts like the engine is just not restarting, and memory use goes way high before it does a werfault and crashes.

Feature Request - Engine On/Off
    As a feature request, it would be nice if we could get a notification letting us know whether the engine is active, as well as some better progress indicators as it computes a graph.
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    I am having trouble with the screen and program going all grey on top. I keep neededing to restart the software. Otherwise. Loving it.

Feature requests
    -Having sharpening options in Post Effects
    -Being able to move/rotate meshes (can you?)
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I am having trouble with the screen and program going all grey on top. I keep neededing to restart the software. Otherwise. Loving it.
    We are currently working on this issue.
  • Nexinumbra
    Offline / Send Message
    Nexinumbra polycounter lvl 12
    Feature request:
    In 5.1 the new tiny toolbar at the top is immensely helpful, but I wish I could extend it to accept commonly used nodes of my own choosing. There are some things like Pixel Processor or FX Map that I hardly ever use so I would love to be able to customize that bar (and the spacebar node listing) to the things I commonly use.

Aside from that, 5.1 has a ton of QOL improvements that I greatly appreciate!
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny request - maybe the safe transform nodes could have vertical/horizontal flip too?
    Added to my todo list.
    Working with FX-Maps, whenever I do an operation that yields an error (i.e.: division by 0), the FX-Map compiler (is this a thing ?) seems to crash and becomes unresponsive. You can still work in SD normally though. However, if you close the application it will still remain active in the windows processes and you have to kill it in order to relaunch SD.

This has been fixed in the upcomming 5.1 version.
    Feature request:
    In 5.1 the new tiny toolbar at the top is immensely helpful, but I wish I could extend it to accept commonly used nodes of my own choosing. There are some things like Pixel Processor or FX Map that I hardly ever use so I would love to be able to customize that bar (and the spacebar node listing) to the things I commonly use.

Please use the official forum for beta related discussion.
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    SD 5.1.0...
    Old q6600 cpu, 8 gig ram, 560 gpu,win 7x64...
    Just upgraded to sd 5.1.0
    I go to tool/preferences/
    just click on Projects = crash

Cheers,
    ~Tung
  • StereoVinny
    Offline / Send Message
    Substance Designer 5.1.0

I'm having some weird behaviors with the Pixel Processor. Basically I'm trying to use the Power Function on a grayscale gradient in order to change its falloff... However I'm getting some really weird banding instead of the expected results. Did something change with the pixel processor ?

Thanks !

(5.1 rocks BTW)
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    @StereoVinny please post the .sbs

@tungerz it's been fixed today, a 5.1.1 version is on the way
  • StereoVinny
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a Dropbox link :
    PowTest.sbs
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    This is strange indeed..
    We'll take a look at it.
  • MeshMagnet
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    I can't open up my previous SP files anymore. Unfortunately, SP updated automatically on STEAM so I can't use the older version.

I'm using 1.3.5, my old files were made in the prior version.

I see that red bar at the bottom of the display window working, then it crashes my video card driver and the program just hangs.
  • SyncViewS
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Guys,

the improvements to the function graphs in Substance Designer 5.1.0 are massively useful and make the development much easier. I particularly like that custom function nodes now show their icon in the graph. The only issue I have with that is the resolution. The standard nodes are clearly vector graphics, that scale and look good at every zoom level of the graph, while the custom icons are stored as raster graphics and unfortunately they do not look good at any zoom level. I understand that they are stored within the package and to keep it small they are saved at low resolution, but the result is: incomprehensible pictures at low zoom and very pixellated at high zoom level. It would be nice to have any of the following improvements:

- Support for vector graphics in the icons too
    - Keep the original size of the pictures used as icons
    - Store icon pictures at the same size of the nodes at the maximum zoom level (I've estimated about 352x352 pixels, or 384x384 with the frame)

Thanks

- Enrico
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    MeshMagnet wrote: »
    I can't open up my previous SP files anymore. Unfortunately, SP updated automatically on STEAM so I can't use the older version.

I'm using 1.3.5, my old files were made in the prior version.

I see that red bar at the bottom of the display window working, then it crashes my video card driver and the program just hangs.

Can you send me your project by PM ?
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    - Support for vector graphics in the icons too
    - Keep the original size of the pictures used as icons
    - Store icon pictures at the same size of the nodes at the maximum zoom level (I've estimated about 352x352 pixels, or 384x384 with the frame)

Supporting svg for custom icon is planned, we'll see what we can do for bitmap icons.
  • SyncViewS
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW wrote: »
    Supporting svg for custom icon is planned, we'll see what we can do for bitmap icons.

Thank you Nicolas, it is great news!

I think that if you are going to support the svg format for custom icons, is more than enough. I am creating a maths library and it would improve a lot with clear icons. I can prepare the icons in svg format, use them as raster for now, then swap them in as it is supported.

Cheers
  • NicolasW
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having some weird behaviors with the Pixel Processor. Basically I'm trying to use the Power Function

We've identified the problem, it should be fixed in the coming 5.1.1 version.
  • StereoVinny
    Offline / Send Message
    Great, you guys are really fast !

Merci
  • SyncViewS
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys,

I have found a consistent reproducible crash in Substance Designer 5.1.0. It happens when working with functions, admittedly in a "wrong" way.

1. Open Substance Designer and create a new Substance, any setting is fine.
    2. In the Explorer, in the Unsaved Package create a new Function.
    3. In the Untitled_Function create an input parameter, for example a Float1.
    4. In the Untitled_Function graph create a Get Float node and assign the parameter to it, then set it as the Output Node.
    5. In the Untitled_Function change the input parameter type to anything but Float1, for example Float2. Do not change the node.
    6. In the Explorer try to change the order of the items by dragging the Untitled_Function above New_Graph. Substance Designer will crash.

Like I said, it is a misuse of the software, but I think it highlights an issue with input parameter types and Get <Type> nodes. When an input parameter is assigned to a Get <Type>, if its type is then changed, it should automatically detach from any node that is not matching the new type anymore.

*** EDIT ***
    The same reasoning should be applied to copy-pasted Get <Type> nodes. If a node is copied from one function and is referencing a valid input parameter, as soon as it is pasted into another function that doesn't have a matching parameter name and type, it should discard the referencing.

Thank you
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Hey All,

I have a problem with baking my maps in Painter. It seems like it isn't aligning or might be just ignoring some of the high poly meshes.

My typical workflow is to Export two meshes from ZBrush. The decimated/low poly which I will retop and unwrap in max then export as an FBX ready for engine use. And the HP which I export and don't open until I load it into the baker.

The issue occurs when I load the HP directly exported from ZB into the baker. It lines up in max if I import it but some of the mesh information is ignored. The images below may help describe the problem:

QqVKWHM.jpg

Meshes are aligned, to check if HP OBJ is correct. Then I bake by loading the ZBrush OBJ directly into the baker and the LP fbx which is exported from max. Here you can see xNormal is baking all 3 objects, Painter is only baking the collar.
  • WarrenM
    If you're importing FBX files into Painter, make SURE the pivots of the objects are in the exact same location. I've had that before with MODO ... lined up in MODO but the centers weren't in the same spot. Painter is very sensitive to that.
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    @WarrenM Thanks, I checked the pivot points however they were aligned so I don't think that's the case this time. On further inspection it seems like some parts of the FBX mesh have been blocked from the baker. I tried to run a bake with no high poly information and it seems like only one object in the fbx file is being detected.

I thought maybe the nature of the mesh is giving the problems in painter so I made a new object and attached the rest of the geo to it so it would take the properties of a fresh object in max. Didn't seem to work.. However it is still baking in xNormal.

gOEZ3Fj.jpg

Edit: So I imported the normals I baked in xNormal to test, Turns out the only area of the mesh which is shaded with the normal map is the same area Painter will bake. When I click to paint on the arm, the rest of the mesh disappears! If anyone knows how to resolve this issue I would be grateful :s

GFF602F.jpg

Edit #2: It works! I had to disable some FBX export options in 3dsmax 2016. Unticked Animation/Cameras/Lights enabled Embed Media and it seems to work ok now..

Edit #3: It broke again, and it works.. This time because the mesh had multiple material IDs set to render out a colour map in textools, made sure to export with 1 material assigned
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Tiny bug: Inside the splatter circular node, the "pattern specific" parameter has a step of 0.45 instead of 0.01.