Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I have another question (tnx for the answer eq), is there a way to f**** kill OenAl ? I hear clicks in winamp everytime i paint something in photoshop with toolbag launched. Its like an interference in the dxaudio output with vista/seven i presume...

Launch a flash player in a website with toolbag launched you will hear a nice robotic sound with picture laging.

My mp3s sound like garbage with that thing (which is most annoying since we have no use for an audio routine in this otherwise neat piece of software)
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    Is it possible to use textures with transparency/alpha map and an illumination map here? Thanks guys.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    I have another question (tnx for the answer eq), is there a way to f**** kill OenAl ? I hear clicks in winamp everytime i paint something in photoshop with toolbag launched. Its like an interference in the dxaudio output with vista/seven i presume...

Launch a flash player in a website with toolbag launched you will hear a nice robotic sound with picture laging.

My mp3s sound like garbage with that thing (which is most annoying since we have no use for an audio routine in this otherwise neat piece of software)

First i've heard of this, i honeslty have no idea. I'll see if one the programmers can help out. The tools shares a lot of the same resources(sound, physics, rendering, etc) as the game engine, to keep from having to rewrite or maintain all of that code separately, so its unlikely they would put together a build without openal.

jeff: well theres no way to disable openal
    jeff: its worth updating your sound drivers, but if its a bug in openal then jeff: he could try set sound.volume 0 in the console, in case toolbag is making noise somehow
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya wrote: »
    Is it possible to use textures with transparency/alpha map and an illumination map here? Thanks guys.

If you save your diffuse as 32 bit with the mask in the alpha channel, you can use a variety of blend options. AlphaTest is a simple "tick" and a value near the bottom of the material, and you can set alphablend, and various other blending modes at the top. I think this is all explained a bit more indepth in the readme.txt and covered multiple times in the thread here as well.
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    If you save your diffuse as 32 bit with the mask in the alpha channel, you can use a variety of blend options. AlphaTest is a simple "tick" and a value near the bottom of the material, and you can set alphablend, and various other blending modes at the top. I think this is all explained a bit more indepth in the readme.txt and covered multiple times in the thread here as well.

Thanks dude.. So it should be a 32-bit file, damn me.. I'm only saving my textures map as a 24-bit..
  • cycloverid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    Since my post was looked over I'll ask again (Last post on the page!) :(

What are the chances we'll see multiple lights in Marmoset? Even two lights would make a huge difference presentation-wise. I wouldn't even mind if it was really mechanical, like one extra light, 90 degrees along Y and inverse XZ.

I just think a little extra presentation would go a long way! I've read through this thread and didn't see anything regarding the subject, so I thought it'd be good to clear up.

Thanks!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid wrote: »
    Since my post was looked over I'll ask again (Last post on the page!) :(

What are the chances we'll see multiple lights in Marmoset? Even two lights would make a huge difference presentation-wise. I wouldn't even mind if it was really mechanical, like one extra light, 90 degrees along Y and inverse XZ.

I just think a little extra presentation would go a long way! I've read through this thread and didn't see anything regarding the subject, so I thought it'd be good to clear up.

Thanks!

Well, the way the lighting works in the viewer, there are no "lights" persay. All the lighting comes from a cubemap(HDR Image based lighting). Now theoretically you could create any sort of lighting environment you want, but its a bit more of a pain to actually go about doing it(someone documented thier process a bit earlier in the thread).

Adding in support for multiple lights was something i asked for, for a very long time in developement that never got implimented, so i think its doubtful it will anytime soon. But thats not to say it will never happen.

For now i would suggest loading some of the different lighting environments, Trilight might suit you a bit better for what you're doing, i've never really liked it myself personally because ti doesnt have much ambience to it, but it will give the effect of multiple lights. Also, hold down shift+drag mouse to rotate the environment around, if you didnt know about that already.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First i've heard of this, i honeslty have no idea. I'll see if one the programmers can help out. The tools shares a lot of the same resources(sound, physics, rendering, etc) as the game engine, to keep from having to rewrite or maintain all of that code separately, so its unlikely they would put together a build without openal.

jeff: well theres no way to disable openal
    jeff: its worth updating your sound drivers, but if its a bug in openal then jeff: he could try set sound.volume 0 in the console, in case toolbag is making noise somehow

I turned it off in the tooluser.cfg. No luck so far.
    My drivers are up to date, i think its the way winamp decode sound that is the problem.
    I have a similar thing if i launch an Asio4All driver with an app that use directsound (aka winamp), most of the time it sounds like the buffer is reduced to a point of auditive poisoning XD
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just out of curiosity, onboard sound? If you're having trouble with other app combinations maybe its just a not so hot soundcard. You should be able to pick up an audigy something something for like $20-50 or so.
  • andorahms
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, Toolbag is amazing!

I love it so much I am dying to take advantage off all this release has to offer, however I get this error when I attempt to load the plugin for 2009:

// Error: Plug-in, "stoogeExport_maya90" was compiled against too old a version of the Maya API and is thus incompatible with the current Maya version. (stoogeExport_maya90) //

Please help!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but i like my crappy onboard soundcard, i have absolutely no problem other than toolbag (and no i don't use winamp with cubase :>), and my audio setup is perfect i don't want to spend more bucks for another useless power hungry card (already too much in the belly of the beast ahah)

I guess i will probably go with an other way: toolbag.exe noping. Tnx for the answers.
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does Marmoset have issues with Quadro vid cards? Runs like a dream at home on my geforce 9 series, but here at work it chokes on my quadro FX4400.

-N!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andorahms wrote: »
    First off, Toolbag is amazing!

I love it so much I am dying to take advantage off all this release has to offer, however I get this error when I attempt to load the plugin for 2009:

// Error: Plug-in, "stoogeExport_maya90" was compiled against too old a version of the Maya API and is thus incompatible with the current Maya version. (stoogeExport_maya90) //

Please help!

You're trying to use the plugin for maya 9.0(maya 2008), there is no support for maya 10(maya 2009) and you can blame autodesk for the confusion =)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mechadus wrote: »
    Does Marmoset have issues with Quadro vid cards? Runs like a dream at home on my geforce 9 series, but here at work it chokes on my quadro FX4400.

-N!

Yes quadros are not supported.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Yes, but i like my crappy onboard soundcard, i have absolutely no problem other than toolbag (and no i don't use winamp with cubase :>), and my audio setup is perfect i don't want to spend more bucks for another useless power hungry card (already too much in the belly of the beast ahah)

I guess i will probably go with an other way: toolbag.exe noping. Tnx for the answers.

I haven't used winamp in a long time, but how about chaning the audio method that it uses? I remember you could set different methods(directsound, etc).
  • andorahms
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awww Crapola!

Any news on whether There'll be a 10 supported .mll??

Thanks for the info!!
  • Mechadus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes quadros are not supported.

ok, I sorta thought that was the issue - this is an amazing app tho - I fell in love 5 mins after installing - so easy to use.

-N!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andorahms wrote: »
    Awww Crapola!

Any news on whether There'll be a 10 supported .mll??

Thanks for the info!!

nope, you'll have to use OBJ for now.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Ok it worked for a while then it stopped.

I know when it won't work for me and it's on the loading screen I load up my model the diffuse then normal map <and then the FPS start to crawl to 0.237 fps after I load the normal map it doesn't get projected and then it says my tga's are probably compressed but they are NOT.

I reinstalled it multipule times, running out of ideas to get it working again what am I doing wrong :(.
    Edit: I'll see bout updating my drivers but if anyone can help I'll supply screens of the errors that are displayed in red if needed.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could just try loading and saving your TGAs again, also if you've got a really terrible framerate, you may be running another app that is fighting with it(some other 3d app, opengl?).
  • emerge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi guys, thanks for the awesome tool, i've no experience in rendering in game engines but i find this is quick and easy to use, so thank you again.

but i've ran into a little trouble, it was working all well and fine until today, i decided to swap out my onboard audio card for a creative one.

after installing the drivers, i decided to get back to work, when i open the toolbag it seems to get stuck at

Loading preferences
    NVIDIA Corporation
    GeForce 8800GT/PCI/SSE2

i've not installed or change any gfx driver or settings

anyways, hope i get it to work again, here's my little render in marmo
    screenshot4bim.jpg

cheeres, euge
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    I cant seem to be able to open the toolUser.cfg file or toolcontrols.cfg file... What program should i open these with??

Sorry if this has already been addressed.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • NoisyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just started using Marmoset today, and firstly, I must say that I love it. I'm still figuring it out, but so far its quite easy to use! Thanks 8Monkey!
    $!nz wrote: »
    after I load the normal map it doesn't get projected and then it says my tga's are probably compressed but they are NOT.

I had this problem aswell, and so I followed EQ's advice and tried to re-save the maps, and I noticed the problem. I had left on 'Alpha Channels' while saving as a 24bit file. I believe this is where the compression is coming from? With an Alpha channel, there would be 32bit (R+G+B+A=8+8+8+8 ), but I saved it as a 24bit file by mistake.

So..
    -If you're using Alphas, leave 'Alpha Channels' on in the save prompt, and save as a 32bit file.
    -If you're not using Alphas, turn off 'Alpha Channels' in the save prompt, and save as a 24bit file.

Hope that helps.
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    I am working on some jazz in marmoset. It's just so lovely. It's like angels on my eyes.

Exterminate_WIP_007.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoisyMonk wrote: »
    I just started using Marmoset today, and firstly, I must say that I love it. I'm still figuring it out, but so far its quite easy to use! Thanks 8Monkey!

I had this problem aswell, and so I followed EQ's advice and tried to re-save the maps, and I noticed the problem. I had left on 'Alpha Channels' while saving as a 24bit file. I believe this is where the compression is coming from? With an Alpha channel, there would be 32bit (R+G+B+A=8+8+8+8 ), but I saved it as a 24bit file by mistake.

So..
    -If you're using Alphas, leave 'Alpha Channels' on in the save prompt, and save as a 32bit file.
    -If you're not using Alphas, turn off 'Alpha Channels' in the save prompt, and save as a 24bit file.

Hope that helps.

I dont think this is the issue, there is a "compress RLE" option when you save a TGA, and i think that is what the compression error is about. It may be reporting incorrectly tho(the error) and actually be something else. I know i always had problems loading TGAs straight from max, so there may be some other wierdness, depending on exactly where your TGAs are coming from.
  • neox00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey,guys !

help me. I don't know what to do..:poly122:

asdfasdf_neox00.jpg
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloodmoon polycounter lvl 8
    I've tried to get the toolbag to work with Maya 8.5 but with no luck. I can see it the plug-in list but cannot check it to loaded. Anyone else have this problem. (tried all .mll versions 7,8,9 nothing will load).

Any id
  • NoisyMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Although I can offer neither of you a definite answer (probably have to wait for EQ for that)..

Reeke: If you haven't already, make sure that all your drivers are up to date, or atleast the important ones;
    -video http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    -sound http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
    -PhysX: http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx_9.09.0203_whql.html
    -OpenAL: http://connect.creativelabs.com/open...ds/oalinst.zip

Bloodmoon: I don't use maya, so I can't offer any real solution there, but from realing the exporter/readme.txt my only guess is to make sure you're following those steps as best as possible and placing the correct files in the correct location?

edit: I knew your name was familiar Reeke. Checked out your 'folio and saw that you worked on II. I was quite interested in that mod a long time ago, atleast a year ago now, made a few posts on the forums and chatted on IRC. Nothing serious though. Welcome to PC!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloodmoon wrote: »
    I've tried to get the toolbag to work with Maya 8.5 but with no luck. I can see it the plug-in list but cannot check it to loaded. Anyone else have this problem. (tried all .mll versions 7,8,9 nothing will load).

Any id
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have had no luck with the Maya plugin so i just export OBJs (I use Maya 2009). I have had no big problems so far, only one problem which was marmoset reversing my face normals even though they were fine when i exported the OBJ from Maya. I just turned culling off and it was fine. Im running this on my macbook pro with Parallels and its made rendering game models in Maya a thing of the past!
    Picture16.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maya displays with culling off by default, so 99.9% chance they are wrong in maya, not marmoset.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    AH yes,. Finally had some time to mess with this shit. Loving it! Good job guys. Ill post some shit later on if i can :)-
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to get an object to do a smooth turntable rotation for presentation purposes?
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    You can animate your model (360° rotation) and load this animation in the marmoset.
  • Hatred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred polycounter lvl 18
    dont you guys think models that got loads of metal on them look very flat? even shaded sides look like lighthened by ambient light, pic related (same spec, one from U3ed second MT)83616982.jpg
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS wrote: »
    You can animate your model (360° rotation) and load this animation in the marmoset.

How would i go about loading the animation? Do i have to also export the animation and if so how would I do that?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps wrote: »
    Is there a way to get an object to do a smooth turntable rotation for presentation purposes?

A rigged, animated mesh could be exported from maya with the supplied plugin(maya 7, 8 or 9(2008)). I cant tell you exactly how to do this, but i think someone else got animation into toolbag at one point earlier in the thread.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hatred wrote: »
    dont you guys think models that got loads of metal on them look very flat? even shaded sides look like lighthened by ambient light, pic related (same spec, one from U3ed second MT)83616982.jpg

This is pretty subjective, but no i don't think metal items look flat, in fact metal is the easiest, best looking thing you can do in marmoset.

I think you'll have issues taking content from one engine, designed specifically for that engine and ploping them into another with a totally different lighting system and expecting them to work without any sort of tweaking.

I think both images there look pretty flat, and more like a stone material than metal, to be honest. Smooth, dark diffuse + high spec with your detailing and texture in the spec, is an easy way to get some nice reflectivity, good metal material read and be sure to play around with the spec sharpness as well.

Marmoset tends to be a little over exposed, so try darkening your diffuse a bit as well in general.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll wrote: »
    AH yes,. Finally had some time to mess with this shit. Loving it! Good job guys. Ill post some shit later on if i can :)-

Sweet, post some stuff already then you fake-french assclown.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, to make a 360, just export your model, along with a skeleton and animation file (using the Maya export tool), then load it all in Toolbag. (Have to load them one by one, open mesh, open skeleton, and add animation in the anim tab.)
    Gotta make sure that "vertex skinning" is checked in your applied material, or it won't animate (heh, spent an hour figuring that out, stupid me).
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maya displays with culling off by default, so 99.9% chance they are wrong in maya, not marmoset.

I double checked and the normals were fine in Maya so I re-exported an OBJ and and they were still reversed in Marmo. Could be a problem with the OBJ export.. I can't figure out the Maya exporter for Maya 2009 on OSX so I can't check to see if it would work as a ".mesh" :(
    A rigged, animated mesh could be exported from maya with the supplied plugin(maya 7, 8 or 9(2008)). I cant tell you exactly how to do this, but i think someone else got animation into toolbag at one point earlier in the thread.

I guess i'll go digging for that :poly125: . If anyone knows how please post and thanks in advance!
  • poostayn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read earlier in the post other folks had the offset cursor problem also, but I couldn't find if it had been resolved. I coasted over the first few pages for an answer and didn't find anything. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance.
  • poostayn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nevermind! I changed the resolution size in the tooluser.cfg and fixed it...
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, when i click on "add animation" in animation tab, nothing happens at all. Anyone else have this problem?
  • poostayn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally figured out the basics of the program and it is super nice to work with. Thanks a lot for the tool I will be using it often! Here is my first Marmoset Render

Rider_marmoset.jpg
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    beartraps, make sure you did "open skeleton" first, and loaded the skeleton file. Can't add animations without a skeleton.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no i havent tried that but that makes sense. Im rotating a handgun so would i need to create a rig for the gun? Is that what a skeleton is?
  • Newbkilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Particle: cannot load file"base/particle/impactwater/impactwaterbig.part"!
    Sound: cannot open sound file "base/sound/impact/impactwater_large.wav"!
    Cannot load audio file base/sound/impact/impactwater_large.wav!
    Failed to open image 'base/texturelib/shield.tga'

For some reason, Marmoset isn't working. I had had this file downloaded a month ago, and tried it out then, and it worked. Now it says I'm missing files that should have already been there. I had re-downloaded twice, and the installing still hasn't fixed the problem. Could someone send me these files? Or is there an easier way?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are standard errors that shouldn't have any effect on the application working. Could you give some more information about what doesnt work with the program?
This discussion has been closed.