Home Stickies

[P&P] - What are you working on? 2008 Edition

Replies

• KikiAlex
  • Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Rick - That is awesome, I can't wait to see more.

Vitor - That is looking awesome as well, get some strong specular on that blood and make it shine, dude.

LoTekK - Very disturbing indeed!

KikiAlex - Looks good so far, keep it up!
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    that's some really cool prop work imslightlybored, I like the paris subway entrance particularly. It'd suit some additional GOW techy bits

got the mutant underway, i think he's a bit vanilla with his one big mutant arm so maybe do some reprojection oddness with the limbs to get a bit more distortion in there. he's going to have a pair of furry dice, necklace of ears and a stopsign turned into armour of some kind too, legs and arms are pretty wippy still.

AAAAAAH.jpg
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    kite: stop being so awesome.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    beautiful work Kite. The hips look a little off, maybe the thighs intersect the body a liiiittle too low? I don't know. He's a mutant. I aint no mutant doctor.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    final7mo9.jpg

This weeks school assignment, would have liked to spend more time to polish on it but im already past deadline so i cant.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Mr Kite, that is too freakin awesome!

Made some changes to my hands, making the tops more convex like you suggested. Also paid a bit more attention to the shapes of the fingers when you look straight on.

hand_wip2.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    kite:
    Excellent work as always. Cant wait to see all the models in one concentrated folio!

lottek:
    Looking dandy :D
    cant really see the gauntlet working however. I couldnt think of anything either on how to tackle it :P

Vitor:
    Too much blood at this stage sounds weird. I try to keep those superficial details like blood till the end. BUt to see how it works, its understandable :P Planning on referencing a rhino?

monkeyboy:-
    finally something from your end after, lets see, A LONG WHILE :)
    Looks great. NOW get as much details in it as possible.

I really need your help guys. PLease help:-
    2383,juggupdateUHFHW.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    slowly but surely working on him

duds1.jpg

hoping alot of the issues were addressed versus last time, still need to fix up wrinkles in pants and redo his shoes and still touch his gloves.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    kite wrote: »
    that's some really cool prop work imslightlybored, I like the paris subway entrance particularly. It'd suit some additional GOW techy bits

got the mutant underway, i think he's a bit vanilla with his one big mutant arm so maybe do some reprojection oddness with the limbs to get a bit more distortion in there. he's going to have a pair of furry dice, necklace of ears and a stopsign turned into armour of some kind too, legs and arms are pretty wippy still.

http://www.adventuresincommuting.com/AAAAAAH.jpg

Terrific design so far, I love the soft skin hues you used, and the expression on his face is super.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloody hell MrKite!! so awesome! in another note, when do we get to see your site?
  • tom.drin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tom.drin polycounter lvl 17
    butt_sahib: Normal map looks odd. Try invert green channel of normal map. (Or use checkobox to invert it in shader)
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    LoTekK - I like it:)
    kite - looking very characteristic! I like the form!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    ok i'll post it here aswell, the sketch threads need to become more popular, there is some amazing stuff going on there for example in Jouste's thread.
    boratpiratekh2.jpg
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    kite wrote: »

hey man, cheers. Dont tempt me with GoW or tech! I was originally going to design my own along those exact criteria, but when I realised I needed more variety and I couldn't even come close to the existing ones, I went for those designs.

Mutant looks nice! Took me a little while but I finally figured it out - the face reminds me of the guy in the goonies! Cant wait to see where this goes
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    looks great kite, very doom 3 ish
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Kite: That looks soooo nice. love your colors.

- BoBo
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    haha kite made double nipples.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Kite - looking great as alwasy.

Seforin - is that from the Street Fighter Dudley challenge?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Kite - looking great as alwasy.

Seforin - is that from the Street Fighter Dudley challenge?

no? It was for fun, theres a challenge somewhere? -_0
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i think it looks better with a viewport grab but lets see what you guys think of the render :S i did alot of work on it, working with some material more making subtle scratches got rid of the camo.

942346_20071211_screen008-10.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    muddling away...

7.JPG
  • animeboyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animeboyz polycounter lvl 17
    Just some mecha stuff

See if you can guess who it is!

MechaStuff.jpg

@snake85027

That's an amazing wood shader, great job!

@ebagg

JAWsome!

@lowTekk

Awesome Concept! Makes me want to watch the crying game >_>

@Frozan

Do you use photo based alphas on the projection editor to get that kind of detail? Or is that all "hand" sculpted in ZBrush

@SyaPed

I really like the hat and cloak, they really help make this piece!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    0819rakugakiredux.jpg

More tinkering with a previous doodle \o/
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    kite, you have to be surprising even yourself with these last ones, wow man, i don't know your work all that well, i've only been following your work for a few years now, i know it's pretty top notch but these new ones have got to be breaking personal boundaries... really very inspiring. what modeling software are you using to create your last two pieces you've shown here? if you don't mind sharing, some do, how are you coloring these. i don't expect anything detailed.

... wow.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    final11wg7.jpg

Ok i just had to fix some things on this as they was really bugging me.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    cheers guys
    thanks for the crit Ferg, he's got a weirdly long torso so it looks a bit odd, i'll tweak the thigh placement

cheers Kp! they're sculpted in zbrush, the colour is just polypainting. It's a brown material with blue shadows and a little bit of pink and green in the skin tone. The base material is mudcap1 (not sure who made it) which i found on zbrushcentral.

In terms of software, just z and max though I do have a custom config for zbrush that apes mudbox. Another thing copied from mud is a bunch of brushes derived from lathes of falloff profiles. They're all made using that cool gradient ramp technique of piors. Together with clay and claytubes they give a nice clean stroke, I found the default alphas in Z a bit ragged and the Z falloff seems to be completely broken.

http://www.adventuresincommuting.com/mudprofiles.jpg
    http://www.adventuresincommuting.com/ui.jpg
    http://www.adventuresincommuting.com/mudbrush.zip
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for sharing all that kite. Some very valuable information for sure. That UI looks pretty robust too, need to rework mine I suppose.

Did a few more texture work on the rhino. I'm afraid of how it might look on other monitors. I'm using a old CTR one with the gamma/contrast sittings broken, and don't have any other one here to compare. I'll try to take a look later and fix.

17fq2.jpg
  • Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm working on a Stielhandgranate(My first model posted on here).
    xt_apollo_pic.php?i=1578133
    Edit: Some interesting facts..
    Polies=180
    Texturesize=512x700(reason being is because I made the texture first on a 512x512 map, then I forgot about the top so I had to make room.)
    Programs used=Blender and Paint.net.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Many thanks for that kite!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow thanks a lot kite! those alphas are amazing! and so is the ui. took me a while to get it working :P.
    is there a way to set it all as defaults? like max has the maxstart.max file? then i wouldn't have to load those alphas and change the ui etc. all the time.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, these rock, Kite. Definitely better than my really lameass setup.

Japhir: you could dump the alphas in Program Files/Pixologic/Zbrush3/Zstartup or in Zdata
    Also, to set the config as a default, just preferences->Config->Store Config
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    This thread is always filled with good shit.

Finally textured that bridge i posted a while back :-)

bridge_texture.jpg
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks Kite for the links. I all ways love getting new alphas.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    been messing with alpha test hair again. Real pain to get hair looking even half decent

hairtest.jpg

This character has turned in to a bit of a test bed for trying out stuff I find hard
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're using too many small strips that are all using the same similar texture.

One of the best ways to get a good hair texture is to increase the size of the planes you're using for the hair.

But when you have a hairstyle where it's just simply combed in both sides with a single split, you can actually cover quite a bit of area with just 1 polygon sheet.

The trick is to paint a really good hair texture that works for most front and overhead shots. You're going to aggravate yourself trying to get hair geometry that works from all angles. That doesn't happen unless you're doing pre-rendered, software solution hair.

Aim for achieving hair volume through texture and not geometry. And also worry more about the overall shape and form of the hair style. Thinking about it on an "individual hair strand" level doesn't work.

There are some tricks too for blending the hair texture into the scalp. But I can't be giving away everything, now can I? :)
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Here's what im working on. It's a alien temple for a game company, and right now the textures are 2048 but will shrink them down soon to 1024. Going to add more stuff too it later and export it into the Unreal 3 engine.

annexsam16jy4.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I feel you Ruz. i`m about to chuck my PC out the window because of hair planes. I`m trying to do TONS of hair though like some fabio type shit, and its not working out to well. Honsetly I think what you have looks pretty good, but I`m still new at hair even though I`ve been working on it for what feels like months.

SouL: much thanx for the info!
  • veteehrri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    veteehrri polycounter lvl 17
    hi guys, lot of great work here and i would like to share something i'm working on too.
    it's w.i.p. from a character that i've started to a contest and didn't finished in time, but and still working on and don't know how far is to finish him as i'm very interested to enter in this Unearthly Challenge.
    wip_07.jpg
    cheers
  • maltuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on this pillar for a environment I'm modeling. Pretty happy with how its turning out.

mapillarah6.jpg
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Soul -you must give usssss your secret hair techniques,(cause i suck at convincing hair aplha/planes) pleeasse
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm actually Soul I don't 'totally' agree with you on that.

I think a mixture of large and smaller planes to fill in the gaps 'can' work very well.

The only thing I haven't done is vary the textures/aplhas as you say

After doing this I have a better idea of where I am going wrong

Also I think it really depends which kind of style you are going for as to how you approach it.

Big planes work great for female hairstyles I think.

Anyway this hairstyle shit will not defeat me agghhh!!

In all honesty though its a bitch to get right.

Hairstyles are just chaotic and its hard to pin a definite workflow down.

They start off looking good, then as you add more to it, they start to look crap

konstruct yeah it s just a pain really. Check out some of the final fnatasy techniques.

The hair was stylised but nice looking.

looks good maltuna : perhaps vary the spec a bit
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An environment I've been working on in the evenings these past 2 weeks to learn some UE3 stuff.

Seriously digging the material editor, not so much digging that bastard little tickbox to turn on lightmaps.

There's a whole shit load of stuff I still want to add/change, but had to draw the line and wrap it up.
    Rockefeller_All_Small.jpg
  • benclark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chopper pilot - 14000 triangles

screengrab from maya viewport...
    cpScreengrabFront2.jpg
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    niiiiice benclark. real sweet form for that ( or any other ) tri count
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    I would say he forgot a 0 on the end x.O
  • benclark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sorry, edited that now - its 14,000 triangles
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben, that's lovely. Can we see wireframes? I've love to see how much of your budget the harness ate up.
  • benclark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Rick, heres a wire....
    cpMesh.jpg
    the harness was a lot of polys. My client wanted them as a seperate mesh :(
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, thought so :)

It looks great, top work.