[ QUOTE ]
    I AM THE BOX MASTER.

[/ QUOTE ]

So thats whats up with your avatar. =p
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yesh! You see it's a cardboard box standing on its head!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Don't know if I can let you get away with that title. . . I see far more barrels than crates. . .
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    thx, and happy birfday b1ll
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    A small update, nothing much just working on building up the volumes. I have to add some dark values in there. wink.gif

Alex

lp_500_02.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    AdamBrome - thats a great start. did you have to model all the chain links though?
    could n't you do one , then bake it to a poly plane or polyplanes then copy and paste that instead. just a thought, I am no environmental guy:)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I generally do them as single quads per chain link but only if the amount of links is small. For this scene it's a large amount, which would cost a huge amount in overdraw since each plane would have an opacity and opted to go for more triangles and no opacity.

Since the player in this little project of mine can get right up close to -everything- you can see in screenshots I believe the chains should be more than a single quad so that the 3D shape of each link can be seen from all angles.

=)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ok thanks for clearing that up. so would you make a section of fence with links a then instance?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    For a fence I'd likely do a plane with a nice texture on it then mix in some 3D elements (signage, poles, etc) so it's not so flat.

Fence is a bit different than chains, IMO.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hmm almost tempted to have a go at some environment stuff. anyway nice piece so far. looking forward to the texures
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    render001.jpg
    render002.jpg

3ds max 9, 4888 polys, 2 diffuse, normal, spec for body. 5 maps for skin: epidermal, subdermal, diffuse, normal, spec. its a lot but it works
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    garriola83: nice work you got there.
    I didn't expect to see you on here.

heres what I'm just about finished with, moving on to something else but I need to fix the normal mapping problems on his loin cloth still.

CopyofChargingBullPic.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    hey tim, nice to see you on here. great model, more texture work and you should be fine.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Screwing around with an unused concept from a DW3 entry:

2317493598_0a4dbc6a98_o.jpg
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    13th century gothic sword.

ts_blades_04_01.jpg
  • thefatladysings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thefatladysings polycounter lvl 17
    some armor concepting:

armor01.jpg

armor02.jpg

planning on doing the entire armor in mudbox smile.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Haven't gotten a chance to spend much more time on this, but B1ll gave me an excellent paintover and I wanted to try and make some of the fixes he suggested. Also still trying to develop the character -- and i discovered the clay tubes brush, i'm in love with zbrush now.

2dm3w0.jpg

brows are a bit lol at the moment.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Suprore, that sculpt's coming along nicely. The forms are looking good. Clay brush ftw laugh.gif

Moved this over from the lowpoly thread, since it's now at about 800tris for the character.
    Salem, from Army of Two, PSP-ish spec:

armyoftwo-wip2.jpg

804 tris for the character (including pads, accessories, etc). 168 tris for the SCAR, 62 for the GL attachment, 76 for the pistol (plus magazine). Not really optimised yet, and limbs (but not torso) are modeled underneath the pads and whatnot.
  • darth.perry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darth.perry polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for all comment!i will try hard!

37_8367_bbf94c1f405cc4d.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    holy shnikey!
    That's hot, darth. Love the colors, form - everything. Top notch. smile.gif
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Heard something interesting this week about getting a contact within the industry so I'm spending this weekend putting together a quick sample of work, which I'd hoped to do after graduation... oh well.

Some texture I made ages ago for zelda. No photo sourcing, purely hand drawn.
    innards.png

(anyone know how to tone down the normal shading in UE3? I had a proper normal map done from zBrush, but the shading was too black so I ended up having to do an nvidia filter one which doesnt really show off too much skill. I played with material editor a little bit but to no avail. Help!)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    More updates...

Everything in the background is a copy of the foreground, just rotated. I find doing this helps visualize what the end project will look like, even if I end up not using this setup exactly.

ac1888_mar8th_01.jpg
    ac1888_mar8th_02.jpg
    ac1888_mar8th_03.jpg
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    omg Adam is a pimpwhore!!!
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    [ QUOTE ]
    East , thats coming along nice. Did you use displacements for the seams?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks, Ruz. Which seams to you refer to? I normally make seams as uncomplicated as possible with a simple alpha, and the layer tool with Freehand and (sometimes) Roll activated combined with LazyMouse just to give the gesture of a seam.

SupRore, you're making great progress on the head there, his features are definitely coming to life. Clay Tubes are good to use to build up volume. Oftentimes you get the best results by adopting traditional sculpting techniques smile.gif
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    [ QUOTE ]
    hope Swizzle likes. been meaning to finsh it awhile ago.

swizzle_comp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Woah, shit! I just saw this. Badass, man!
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    hey new to the site just found last week. like the things i see. here's my wip. please tell me what you think. gonna stat texturing it soon. also thinking about try to make another version thats around 1000 tris. HellboyComp.jpg
  • maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    More updates...

Everything in the background is a copy of the foreground, just rotated. I find doing this helps visualize what the end project will look like, even if I end up not using this setup exactly.

ac1888_mar8th_01.jpg
    ac1888_mar8th_02.jpg
    ac1888_mar8th_03.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude that's great work!! Good luck texturing that monster - impressed.
  • maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We are still working on our machinima series. Ironing out the technical stuff still but we are putting together an excellent storyline and some really good episodes. Hopefully we will do the community right. I have posted some 3D renders of some various models in action. All of these will be sucked back into UE3 for the movie. cheers!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=070W2fJA4as
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    maestro: The animation is pretty smooth and nice, but the vehicles look like RC cars. They bounce way too much, and even the one scene that hints the hellbender has mass (where it banks a lot when coming around a curve) is then shot to hell by how springy it is.

edit: ahh so it is stock mocap. well good of you to make use of what you have available. smile.gif
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Adam, that scene is badass. I have a question about the 2 buildings at the end of the pier. (the 2 buildings in the second picture on your first post).

How much floating geometry (if any) are on those buildings? And when constructing buildings like this is there any benefit to making everything one object? Or using floating geo?

I'm trying to come up with a workflow for large structure architecture, and things like dormers and window trims I find I can wrap my head around them when they are floating seperate pieces as opposed to always having to cut out triangles and then turn them into rounds. (ie how to get a decent proper looking curve from just a cut)

I guess thats multiple questions!
  • maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias - i should watch some videos of monster trucks then. I thought the corner scene was good. But I see what you mean now how soft it is after the corner. Thanks for your comment, I'll work on adjusting it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Saidin311: Thanks smile.gif I am not quite sure which building you're asking about, but what I do know is there is no simple answer for this.

In todays game geometric data (triangles) haven't as much impact on a system as other major contributors, like texture memory.

However, I can say that if details are going to be cut in to a scene geometrically, those details will remain a part of the same object whenever they extrude IN to the mass (subtractive) and that I will try and have separate 'floating' pieces whenever the detail extrudes out (additive) from the piece.

This isn't any sort of golden rule, but its something I tend to go by. (For character art its a whole different ball game.) Sometimes its required that you do not extrude the details in and just have them be apart of the texture (for example, window on a brick wall) but for this instance we'll not be doing that.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    A few OverDose pick up items and stuff...

Keep in mind most of these are animated, so will look different ingame. Plus this shots with bloom turned off:

od_models.jpg
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got round to finishing off an old piece

ArtnouveauLeccycupboard.png
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    heres a little something something I started this weekend.

8.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    very cool style Jesse

is the asymetry intentional or did you just forget some of the little bars on the sides of the doors?

Nice either way.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Cool model Jesse, I'm not too sure if the asymetry is throwing me off or whether it adds to the coolness. I'm curious how you modeled those spirals. Did you just twist an extruded cylinder?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i think he forgot to copy some parts since the furthest wall section is symmetrical smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    basehead.jpg
    my new base head. bit more detail built in this time and the loops are cleaner
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Imslightlybored -> I would give a better presentation of the final result, it's hard to tell how effective your normal maps/specular maps are. Put them on an object in a scene with some lighting to show off how well they can pop. Is the top left biggest image just the diffuse or all maps combined? you should label the maps.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys. Actually I'm trying to decide to keep those pieces or not. Should have asked in my post but it was late and I was half out of it.

I am thinking that I like them so they will probably stay and I will add them in to the rest.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Imslightlybored -> I would give a better presentation of the final result, it's hard to tell how effective your normal maps/specular maps are. Put them on an object in a scene with some lighting to show off how well they can pop. Is the top left biggest image just the diffuse or all maps combined? you should label the maps.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Cheers! I've been thinking similar since I did them, and your right of course. I'll go back and think on the presentation.

Cheers again
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Already pimped in the lowpoly thread, but since most of the planes have been pimped here... I see your WW2 fighters and raise you a Sopwith Camel. laugh.gif

sopwithcamel-wip2.jpg
    sopwithcamel-wip2.gif
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz!! <sneaky saves img>
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    i was actually going to post a turntable of the head wire, but can't upload mov files to wordpress. hmm

looking cool LoTekK
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Ruz: Looking good! I'd like to see it with no sculpting/deformation and you can upload an animated gif for your turntable right?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ScoobyDoofus - cheers,man - I will post the gif turntable tomorrow.
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    just a head doodle...

headdoodle01.jpg
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    @Lotekk
    Awesome...I was thinking about doing the wright-brothers plane but I can´t find good reference laugh.gif

@Ruz
    It´s so clean...Saved for reference!

semine22lu0.jpg
    180 tris
    Imagine crazy anime hair going everywhere later on. confused.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nice doodle StefanH
    cheers Slaught- like the structures going on in your face. if anything thats where i struggle a bit sometimes,ie the blocking out stage and placing polys in the important places
This discussion has been closed.