Home Stickies

So what are you working on?

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    At least once in every digital artist's life they must make a nazi or something nazi themed. It's just how the world works.

I dig it black thief, the suspenders seem a little wonky though. They look like they're very loose on his body.
  • Goober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Character I'm working on to go with my avatar character (I have more of him to that I have to rework for later). Not really game polycounts though, more for just my own practice and personal use.

dragonboss_02f.jpg
    dragonboss_02b-2.jpg

Maybe I'll make him a Nazi later...
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    maglites for the win i have one under my bed =)
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    sorry for the large image but i don't have time to resize it right now. below is a cavern level i am working on for the illusion of destiny game project.
    c42006-11-0200-19-11-92.jpg
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    nice sky subs Shepeiro, what are they for though?

update,
    halloween3.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    very nice kakikukeko!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Jarrod1937: That environment doesn’t really read at all. While I understand it to be a cave scene with a bridge, it looks like a wet blob of green and gray. Try to kill all the harsh edges, get some proper lighting and build a clear path that the player travels on.
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jarrod1937: That environment doesn’t really read at all. While I understand it to be a cave scene with a bridge, it looks like a wet blob of green and gray. Try to kill all the harsh edges, get some proper lighting and build a clear path that the player travels on.

[/ QUOTE ]
    to me though, while i understand what you're saying, i think will make the environment look too manufactured. to me a natural cave should have hard edges in some areas and should not have a clear path for the player, however when you're walking around the level is it obvious where you are and where you need to go. however i am going to tone down the specular highlights since i went crazy and turned them all up pretty high on a lot of the materials, this should increase the contrast between the different materials a bit more.
    although your critism is very welcome, if you give me a good reason for soemthing, i'll do it, it would be stupid not to.

edit: btw, very nice, but very clean, flash light, is that rendering in a game engine or just in max/maya?

lol edit2: what do you suggest i do for the lighting? keep in mind in that section of the cave there is a hole/skylight which is where some fo the blue lighting is coming from. i have yet to become very good at scene lighting, which makes me sad because lighting is veyr important, so any suggestions you may have would be nice.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think what cholden was getting at is, if people normally walk to this bridge, there would be a path worn into the earth. Your current doesn't doesn't present a path like this.
    I also agree with the hard edges statement. The rocks almost look like XMas trees.
    I like the scene overall, I just think Cholden made some good points (besides, it's what he does I believe wink.gif)
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how would i create the illusion of a worn path using a tileing texture on a mesh with no multi-texture blending support in the engine yet? i may do that tonight.
    and what do you suggest i do with the stalagmites? just take the top vert and move in down to sort of dull the top edges/points?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I wasn't aware of the limitations in your engine. If it will have multi-textural blending later, then I'd just wait on the path. It would just improve the scene.

I would round out the stalagmite more. On the tips and the sides. Not sure where your poly limitations are though.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    how would i create the illusion of a worn path using a tileing texture on a mesh with no multi-texture blending support in the engine yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
    A decal layer over the top with a directionally tiling image for the path (tiles top>bottom with edges fading out to 'rock').

[ QUOTE ]
    ..i may do that tonight.
    and what do you suggest i do with the stalagmites? just take the top vert and move in down to sort of dull the top edges/points?

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you have an extra row of verts near the point then yes, just move the top vert down and soften it...
  • BlackThief
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlackThief polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

I dig it black thief, the suspenders seem a little wonky though. They look like they're very loose on his body.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, guess I know what you mean regarding the suspenders.
    I played around with it for a while but somehow I couldn't get it to look right.
    anyway here's a little update - head is done + a little texture work. ~1600 tris ATM, aiming for 2000 including gun and ammo-pouches.

gsoldier2.jpg

guess I have to scale down the head a bit, looks too big on the screenshot.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    exture looks great, especially the pants! smile.gif
    Blah, 4 hours and this is all I have to show. Made for a learning experiment with normal maps and all the rest. I want to develop a streamline process.
    Lizard_lady_01.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Almost a whole page and no bald dudes yet? What the...?

dudekopield2.png

EDIT: That was a whole page without bald dudes, apparently!
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    ... remembering someone's animated avatar....

"We are going to die!"
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    sagatmuddypd9.th.jpg
    been faffing about with this fella for some time, head started off as a generic mesh I'd made and added the body- I was gonna enter the SF2 remake contest but the project I was working on at work finished and I had time away with the family.

sagatrf7.th.jpg
    My Art Director, Ian Bowden, did this concept of the Character smile.gif
    Though I'd pimp it so far as a means of self motivation smile.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    really good start man smile.gif
  • Spoon_of_death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon_of_death polycounter lvl 17
    I think I forgot something but I cant quite put my finger on it... confused.gif

midna.gif
    230 tris, crappy placeholder hands, also dont like the glowy tattoo things on the arms, I think ill redo the arms completely.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    DizZy is w.i.p - ing

johnnydepp.jpg

( photosourcing - of course )
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    and heres another bust that will make its way to normal mapping world . I hope you guys can recognize him frown.gif

image with more renders, viewport, etc in my folio ( to avoid posting huge ass images )

prisonrapehc8.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    the kid from bully?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Can't say I recognize the bust Johny, but I continue to be more and more impressed with every piece you show. keep up the great work! :]

[edit] general census is that it's the guy from prison break. having never seen the show...I woulda never guessed :][/edit]
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    prison rape laugh.gif

it's the prison break dude!
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Looks a bit like Wentworth Miller from Prison Break, a few similarities, looks nice anyway.

Just so happens I have somethin to show:

sp3220061104005247eo6.png

Early part of an entry for a digital art contest in ohio, which is kind of funny, because graphic artists in ohio are scarce... Anyway, the theme is to express one word, I was thinking of using beginnings, humble beginnings as a tadpole
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Just showing what I've got so far for the CGChat comp(which is a great start for Joe!):

WIP
    wip.jpg

The Highwayman was born Doran Kegan in 17th-century London. Growing up on the streets as an orphan, he learned that stealing was the best way for a lad to make money, and by his twenties he had enough money to pursue his childhood love. They were soon married, but Doran felt that his wife deserved more than he had, so he began robbing again, though she was adamant that he stop.

One night Doran returned to the inn they were staying at to find his wife gagged and bound. Rushing to her aid he was caught by surprise from the local watchmen who had set this trap for him. They at first tried to subdue him to capture him, but when he drew his blade they fought to the death. Several wounded him with their pistols, and he drew his pistols to fight, as well. Finally, all the watchmen were dead save one that was badly wounded.

Doran turned to get his wife and leave before more men arrived, but stopped suddenly. His wife lay dying, a bullet wound to her chest.

“What have I done?!” he cried. His wife blinked the tears out of her eyes, her face filled with sorrow. She moved no more.

In his rage he made an oath that he would only use his hands to rob the life of others, since his wife’s had been robbed from him.

He swung around and began to throttle the last watchman that lay helpless on the ground. When his fingers touched the man’s flesh it began to crinkle away like burnt parchment. The watchman wailed in terror and agony as his flesh rotted from the touch of The Highwayman, and he was soon consumed by this rotting.

Doran felt exhilarated, and found that his wounds had been healed…

The Highwayman lives on in the 21st-century, robbing the life from those he deems wicked and thus renewing his own body. Does he do this to bring vigilante justice, or to avoid his own death and the judgment that it will bring? Many believe he wears his mask in shame of what he is doing, for he rarely removes it.

Crits are very welcome! I just roughed him out today, let me know if you guys have any ideas for specific changes or anything that could be cool. Thanks!
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    haha thats looking cool KP...
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    and yet another dinosaur \o/
    para03nb3.jpg

@johny: i don't recognize him, but i like him, very nice work!
    @killing people: creepy but very cool smile.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    http://studioflaagan.com/files/DM-GearsofTime.ut2

Level for UT2k4 I'm working on for a contest. Currently just got the skybox in place. Shouldn't require anything more than just UT2k4.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    Very nice head SEKNeox ,
    something is bothering me about the curve of the back, but don't really know what .. ^^

halloween4.JPG
    still need to add something on the tray..
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks a bit like Wentworth Miller from Prison Break, a few similarities, looks nice anyway.

Early part of an entry for a digital art contest in ohio, which is kind of funny, because graphic artists in ohio are scarce... Anyway, the theme is to express one word, I was thinking of using beginnings, humble beginnings as a tadpole

[/ QUOTE ]
    where do you live? i live in centerville, its near dayton and about an hour away from cincinatti.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    WIP of my viking. Ive been advised to remove the horns and I will soon but for now I think they make him look hardcore.
    VikingWIP.jpg
  • Goober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, supposdely Vikings didn't really have horns on their helmets. Don't tell Minnesota. Your textures also seem a bit soft, not sure what size you're working at but they seem like they could use a bit more definition and edge to them. I like the sheild design and the axe a bunch.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    SEKNeox, that skin looks crazy good.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    where do you live? i live in centerville, its near dayton and about an hour away from cincinatti.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in the exact opposite side of Ohio, I live in akron, about an hour away from cleveland.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nice dino neox
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • mvelasquez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon: Gorgeous mesh man! very clean work, i dig it.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clock_pieces_1.jpg

'clock pieces' for the gears of time ut map.. any ideas or suggestions for cool lookin clock bits are welcome.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    WIP of my viking. Ive been advised to remove the horns and I will soon but for now I think they make him look hardcore.

[/ QUOTE ]And they make him look like a Viking, regardless of historical accuracy. A bullet helm with horns can and will be instantly read as representing a Nordic warrior, which allows you to stylise where you like in other areas.

Besides if you want absolute historical accuracy then the axe is a far bigger issue.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Shepeiro, that sub looks badass.
    Johny, awesome heads, man, nice level of detail.

Did a little bit more work on the Adama head last week. First pic, photoshopped the hair and eyebrows, also fixed the eyes in post.

adama6.jpg

adama7.jpg

And a female base mesh WIP. Strangely, I've never actually done a female mesh before. Figure now would be a good time to start.

femalemesh2.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    level_wip1.jpg
    To give you a sense of scale, that 6 spoked cog near the middle, the player currently starts out in the center of that, and could probably have 3 or 4 other players comfortably standing around him on the central part of that cog.

A good friend of mine recently got himself a badass keyboard, the Roland Fantom-X8, and is currently working on background music for the level. Stopped by his place to take a listen and I'm already digging where he's going with it.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Damn cool idea for a map James. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

You going to be having all the pieces moving (Like cogs rotating)?
  • jonnyhr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnyhr polycounter lvl 18
    kakikukeko: I think the curve of the back looks excellent from the images provided. Might have something to do with the curve of his chest compared to his back? as it looks fairly straight on the front view.. hard to tell though. What do I know though anyway :P Excellent work!

My first normal mapped character/creature thingy.
    demonFinished01.jpg

demonMaps01.jpg
    demonMaps02.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulk, yup, having it all moving is the plan. Going to add some more gears and whatnot to the level as I find ones that look interesting. Currently got it set up so it *should* move, but UEd's Movers seem to be misbehaving (a few turn, some don't, and they all want to reset to original position upon collision with the player model). If I can't get them to work as Movers I may try one or two other things, but I'm not certain those other things will work in UT2k4. Worse comes to worse, I'll just have the gears stationary and the clock hands turning, but I'd hate to have to resort to that.
  • Warhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff everyone:
    jonnyhr: That demon dude looks nice. Nice expression on his face. And the color map looks great. Nice use of colors. I would just play some more with the cloth folding, try to define them abit more. Also play some more with the specualrity. Try to concentrate more on the hilights in your specular. to pop up some of the detailes.

killingpeople : Nice head. I like the base structure of its skull. Those creases are looking very good. Are you gonna finish it. Becouse you should. It is a nice piece.

hobodactyl : I like the silhouette of the model. It is progressing nicely. It would be even better if you could round his ass abit and remove that vertex that creates the buldge on his back. Keep it up.

SEKNeox : Nice dinosaur. I like the skin. I have nothing to critize:) Are you gonna texture him also?

Ok and here is a little something from me to fill this page:
    I will pose hima and put him into enviroment.
    647e6001658c4564dcf8a2df1a77181b_e0e.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capture of DM-GearsofTime in it's current wip state. Got the Movers rotating the way I wanted them to (constant rotation), so now it's on to making more parts and laying out the level.

http://studioflaagan.com/images/3d/gearsoftime/gearsoftime_wip1.mov
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    flaagan : WOW! all that bothers me is that the gears are reflecting clouds, in space confused.gif
This discussion has been closed.