Home General Discussion

"The City of New Orleans Is Devastated"

so much for starting up your own video game company in New Orleans.

This is surreal.

http://www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.aspx?aid=4864

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder... Are there no pictures? It's hard to understand what exactly is happening there without pictures when you don't know the layout of New Orleans (how much is 20 feet for the city?). Casualty reports? Do we know anyone who was hit by this?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    just check any American news site.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katrina/index.html
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167633,00.html

New Orleans sits between 6-12 feet below sea level. the storm surge was something like 20-30feet. Fox News had a helicopter shot and showed maybe a thousand or more houses with water up to the roof. it looks rather like the aftermath of the tsunami in December except all the houses are still standing.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap, that is insane.
    80% of the city flooded.

To much destruction to handle.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4200/is_20050606/ai_n14657367

well thank god the President didnt choose to cut a bunch of money slated for Hurricane recounstruction or they would have even more problems right now.

oh wait thats exactly what he did.

what a shame,this is one of my favorite cities in the US,but something like this was bound to happen,last time i went there about 3 months ago i remember driving by a levy and seeing how bad they were being upheld.

another problem with the rescue effort is that when the city floods so do the swamps,so animals like Alligators,cottonmouths and alligator gars will all be in the water.
  • Rhinokey
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    http://stfuyouomg.net/katrina/index.php?dir=./.&p=1

Well you could have at least posted it from page one instead of page two, Jackass.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i told you to post page 1 and i would post 2, its teamwork.. but you was suposed to post before me
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d'oh! my bad, sorry.
  • Deimos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deimos polycounter lvl 18
    A quick question...why do people in hurricane/earthquake risk areas build their houses out of wood? Watching the news here in England, it appeared that most of the buildings that were damaged/destroyed were wooden structures, and pretty much all the ones that survived were brick...surely if you build brick houses, the damage, while still great, will be much less...
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    well buildings are made of what ever material is ready and cheap for the area,New Orleans being mostly swamp means brick will be more expensive,rich people can afford bricks but poor people must go wood
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    A quick question...why do people in hurricane/earthquake risk areas build their houses out of wood? Watching the news here in England, it appeared that most of the buildings that were damaged/destroyed were wooden structures, and pretty much all the ones that survived were brick...surely if you build brick houses, the damage, while still great, will be much less...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wood, brick, metal or steal wouldn't do any difference, with winds that go up to 230 miles\hrs, its a category 5 hurricane after all the biggest on the scale, water and winds are nature's most devastating force. Winds can sometimes lift cars and such, i've seen mac trucks shred to strips from images of other hurricane in the past. No man, no army could stand a chance against those forces.

The best protection would be to abandon your homes if ever you'd have to live through something like this.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats what i said, brick or concrete will not change anything.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i meant it in response to deimos and accidentally erased the quoted text my bad
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This one made me laugh out loud smile.gif

image0830-0940(s-video).jpg
  • adam
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    well thank god the President didnt choose to cut a bunch of money slated for Hurricane recounstruction or they would have even more problems right now.

oh wait thats exactly what he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, guess who was on vacation...again
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/30/AR2005083000945.html
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you see the rooftop this mean the water is above ground.

Like 20 - 30 ft
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Maybe all this rain will wash away that Urine smell that fills the whole city...

But, yes its very tragic.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Homes are predominantly made out of wood here in California mostly because wood has a better tendancy to absorb land movement. It can flex and bend enough to avoid damage when minor to moderate earthquakes hit us.
    Actually... California homes only have solid wood in key support structures. The rest are covered up with particle board (a mish-mash of various wood chips).
    Stones are solid masses. They have no flex. They'd simply crumble if an earthquake were to hit.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i lived there for 4 years and its very sad.. the city got messed up.. but it was bound to happen.. they have pumps running 24/7 just to keep the city from flooding when there isnt a hurricane.. the problem with new orleans is that it is like a bowl.. with water on all sides up to the rim..but the worst of all is now there is no excuse to rebuid it all with fake stuff so it looks like some ride at universal studios.. thay had already messed that city up with tourist "family orenited " crap from one side to the other.. tourists fuck everything up.. i actually think any character new orleans had was lost long ago... but i do hope all my friends are okay.. the phones are still down and i cant call in..
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm lets build more citys in high hurricane risk areas. No wait lets build citys under the sea level at the sea shore, that are continualy sinking each year. Nahhh i got it, lets make citys that are in the delta/flood plane of the biggest river in the country. Wait you say we can do all three of these at once? Lets do it!
    hmmmm too bad no one knew that the city was all of the above, no wait they did...
    No one can say they didn't see it comming... They have only been told that they are all morons for the past 150 years...

The funny part is were just going to fix the walls and drain out the water and call it good. hehe and we make fun of the people of pompeii because they live on an active volcanic island.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    hmmm lets build more citys in high hurricane risk areas. No wait lets build citys under the sea level at the sea shore, that are continualy sinking each year. Nahhh i got it, lets make citys that are in the delta/flood plane of the biggest river in the country. Wait you say we can do all three of these at once? Lets do it!
    hmmmm too bad no one knew that the city was all of the above, no wait they did...
    No one can say they didn't see it comming... They have only been told that they are all morons for the past 150 years...

The funny part is were just going to fix the walls and drain out the water and call it good. hehe and we make fun of the people of pompeii because they live on an active volcanic island.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess they neglected to look up the weather on yahoo when the city was founded in 1718

also never heard 1 pompeii joke in my life.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess they neglected to look up the weather on yahoo when the city was founded in 1718

also never heard 1 pompeii joke in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

owned.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually he's not completly wrong, even if it was founded in the 1700th, its still a bad spot, (weather wise).
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    if they were building a city in a similar location today i would be inclined to agree, but in the 1700's a city near the ocean with a river which empties into the ocean it looks like a great idea for a port town.

now the people who keep making their trailer home villages in tornado alley,now thats stupid
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/30/AR2005083000945.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, thank GOD George Bush is President! He is cutting it short to oversee things in the wake of the hurricane. What would we ever do without him?!?!? poly131.gif

I hear he has also vowed to track down and punish the terrorists responsible.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the new atlantis?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, thank GOD George Bush is President! He is cutting it short to oversee things in the wake of the hurricane. What would we ever do without him?!?!? poly131.gif

I hear he has also vowed to track down and punish the terrorists responsible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes poised to smash Reagan's all time record for total days vacationing as a President

He is like the freaking Hank Aaron of Presidental Vacations
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    JO420, 150 years because no one knew back in 1700 that is was a bad idea, but 1850 we knew very well that it was not a good spot for a city. As they already had a system of levees set up in the 1800s because of flooding. At that point the city wasnt too big to give up being as it was only 17,000 people.
    great site:
    http://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0027.html
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like he is really doing it. Bush is going after Katrina and the Waves now:

Bush_Katrina.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    JO420, 150 years because no one knew back in 1700 that is was a bad idea, but 1850 we knew very well that it was not a good spot for a city. As they already had a system of levees set up in the 1800s because of flooding. At that point the city wasnt too big to give up being as it was only 17,000 people.
    great site:
    http://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0027.html

[/ QUOTE ]

even which way try to convince 17000 people to leave their homes,land,property and businesses because a location is bad.

land in flood plains also means youll have great soil for farming and in the 1800's farm land was still valuable,especially in the south which had an agriculture based economy.

I imagined if they were aware of risks the benefit of New Orleans location sure outweighed it.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    He should have been down there single handedly forcing the mighty winds back out into the gulf!

Then when that was done he could use his super heat ray vision to glue together the san andreas fault!

What in Mergatroids name has he beeen doing!

Why don't we turn this horrific act of nature into a politcal thread just to make some of you happy! laugh.gif

sheesh, you guys!
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Duke, you beat me to it, and you nailed it. The saddest thing is when people will use a tragedy to further their political agendas.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The saddest thing is when people will use a tragedy to further their political agendas.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like this?

[ QUOTE ]
    natural disaster programs are often sidelined by counter-terrorism programs.

after 2003, the flow of federal dollars toward SELA (Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project) dropped to a trickle. The Corps never tried to hide the fact that the spending pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at the same time as federal tax cuts -- was the reason for the strain.

In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed

The 2004 hurricane season was the worst in decades. In spite of that, the federal government came back this spring with the steepest reduction in hurricane and flood-control funding for New Orleans in history.

There was, at the same time, a growing recognition that more research was needed to see what New Orleans must do to protect itself from a Category 4 or 5 hurricane....But the cost of the Iraq war forced the Bush administration to order the New Orleans district office not to begin any new studies

The Louisiana congressional delegation urged Congress earlier this year to dedicate a stream of federal money to Louisiana's coast, only to be opposed by the White House....In its budget, the Bush administration proposed a significant reduction in funding for southeast Louisiana's chief hurricane protection project. Bush proposed $10.4 million, a sixth of what local officials say they need.

had Washington heeded their warnings about the dire need for hurricane protection, including building up levees and repairing barrier islands, the damage might not have been nearly as bad as it turned out to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting how Bush was vacationing in August of 2001 as well, and did not heed warnings of some sort of attack. in fact, 40% of his term he's been on vacation. homeland security my ass! ladies and gentlement, let's hear it for bin laden, and don't forget those rising gas prices.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Duke, you beat me to it, and you nailed it. The saddest thing is when people will use a tragedy to further their political agendas.

[/ QUOTE ]

repugconventionlogo5ke.gif

I agree very sad indeed

I wonder how bad the damage would be if they actually got full funding to finish them levees.

Bringing this funding issue up is a fair issue to bring,I lived in New Orleans from 1983-1995 and i was there when quite a few hurricanes came by,and what kept alot of that water out of the city and surrounding areas,the levees, but like everything which is intended to keep the natural forces at bay they need constant upkeep, so when the President cuts money from this to fund his war based on a lie and then a hurricane comes by which overflows underfunded levee its a fair point to bring up.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The saddest thing is when people will use a tragedy to further their political agendas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now *THAT* is totally awesome. That's about the most ironic sentence I've ever seen written in the context of your current president.

Those pictures are insane. Seems like the deathtoll might end up being a fair bit higher. The devastation is just unbelievable and Im sure way worse than was predicted. Although whilst watching the news at the gym earlier somebody likened it to Hiroshima which I thought was unbelievably insensitive and innapropriate. Shoot not to mention inaccurate. It'll be interesting to see If a city can come back from this.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, I'd hate to have a president that used a national tragedy to further his political agendas... man, that would suck... oh wait...

*remembers 9/11*
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Politics don't matter right now getting them help does. If a bunck of scumbags get their photo-ops and it translates into actual aid I don't care right now.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    The real sad thing is all the folks that have to loot athletic shoe stores to sustain their families!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Said Biloxi Mayor A. J. Holloway: "This is our tsunami."
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Also, there was some talk of it being POSSIBLY linked to glabal warning. The biggest problem is that there isn't enough long term data to prove that hurricans aren't running in cycles, however research over the last 15 years has shown that the size and ferocity of hurricanes are linked to the surface temperature of the ocean.

Sceientists have also show that the surface of the West Atlantic has risen by almost 0.5 degrees - and this COULD explain why the hurricanes have been more destructive lately. However, 4 years ago there was also a series of bad ones, so it could be cyclic.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So apparently a few of you are enormous hypocrites. You'll bash Bush in the context of the hurricane disaster, and in the same breath condemn him for supposedly using 9/11 as a way to further his political agenda.

Hook line and sinker smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    How's that being hypocritical? They're bashing him either way smile.gif

In any case, it's over. And like Weiser said, the only thing that matters is helping these people.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not about Bush bashing. It's about asking the question "why did this have to happen?". Bush admits that the priority now is to save lives...AFTER the disaster. "Prevention" doesn't seem to be a word in his limited vocabulary. If it wasn't for putting so much effort into the war in Iraq (where people are dying), the SELA probably would have remained capable of making the preparations it needed for a strong hurricane season, and lives would have been saved. From the moment Katrina began swirling towards the city, people knew it would be a devistating event.

I read it'll take 9 weeks just to drain the city.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    So apparently a few of you are enormous hypocrites. You'll bash Bush in the context of the hurricane disaster, and in the same breath condemn him for supposedly using 9/11 as a way to further his political agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup yup, that's me. Vote skankerzero '08! icon15.gif

// doesn't believe in fixing other countries until we can fix ourselves.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    You're absolutely right, GX. But you know what? It's over with. It doesn't matter what "could have" stopped this.

And Skank, I guess you've been complaining since birth then? Every president has helped other countries, while our own is sitting here festering. I'd surely love to remove ourselves from world affairs until our country was strong again. But that's just not going to happen.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yup yup, that's me. Vote skankerzero '08! icon15.gif

// doesn't believe in fixing other countries until we can fix ourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it!! skanker is using these forums as a platform to launch his career in politics and to furthur his political agenda!!

looks like from the news reports ive read this hurricane might be worse then camille was in 69
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    AS i recall, most of the money proposed to be used for hurricane protection was for the port itself. Lots of things are shipped there, oil being one of them with seemed to validate all of that money going towards the city's prevention efforts.

But the attitude is and will always be "i won't do anything until i know what happens".

It's human nature to go take action after the fact and that can be applied to just about everything in our lives.

One of our coworkers left yesterday to go help his relatives with their relief efforts.

It's terrible that it happens but the potential to at least lessen the effects of any disaster is always there. People and their priorities...
This discussion has been closed.