Home General Discussion

"The City of New Orleans Is Devastated"

Replies

• cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/30/AR2005083000302_pf.html

i find that funny since the majority of voters actually voted for him for a SECOND term. NICE
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I think you're completely right, Daz. It's a damn shame too.

cochtl - people voted for him based on 'moral' issues, instead of economics, etc.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    richest nation on earth fails to deliver a few million dollars of aid to thousands of it's dieing citizens.

But is fully able to get billions of dollars of army half way around the earth in a matter of a few hours to bomb a bunch of men in beards.
  • Daz
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Install Google Earth and check these out. Gives a real idea of the devastation.
    http://earth.google.com/katrina.html

Also, can someone confirm this. One of our coders was talking about a pair of massive pipes that ran from New Orleans out to the eastern US states, feeding them with oil, gas etc. These are apparently no longer working what with the refinerys and whatnot being under 20 feet of water. If this is accurate then this disaster is going to be a hell of a lot more far reaching than just the city in the swamp.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I'm done with this thread, because it's gotten down to people talking without a clue of what's going on and using it as an opportunity to piss on America, or Bush, or whatever.

This thread is this board at its worst. It's a shame. Some of you, without mentioning names, need to drop the political bullshit and start getting your priorities in order.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, its alright irritant. Some of these people just dont understand what we are about. Thats fine they dont have to understand. We all do what we have to. If people want to blame america for the problems in the world thats their own choice. Dosn't make it right. Just like americans may blame middle eastern countries for whats wrong in the world. I dont think thats right either.

Everybody makes mistakes. Bush makes many mistakes. People just like trying to crusify him for everything he does wrong. How is that different than any other leader?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done the only thing I can do - donate money.

=\
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also, can someone confirm this...a pair of massive pipes that ran from New Orleans out to the eastern US states, feeding them with oil, gas etc. These are apparently no longer working.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack. I'm on the east coast of NC. I mentioned earlier, the gas here is cut off. Most of the stations have been closed down, taped off, or blocked by police. A few stations like BP, have had continuious lines, and their prices have been removed from the sign. I just heard the few that remained opened til now may be closed tomorrow til sunday. Afterwards, people will be restricted to 10 gallons and only for regular. The impact is far reaching, which is why I'm stuck here replying to this thread hoping things improve quickly and reading "let's not make this political" considering all the mistakes that have been made over the past 4 years, instead of on my road trip. It's a discussion thread, get over it.

Those Google Earth overlays are incredible. Entire homes just gone. Let's hope the rest of this years hurricane season avoids the gulf coast.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aQHY98OLn7jE&refer=top_world_news
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    richest nation on earth fails to deliver a few million dollars of aid to thousands of it's dieing citizens.

But is fully able to get billions of dollars of army half way around the earth in a matter of a few hours to bomb a bunch of men in beards.

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much sums it up.

Irritant, YOU are the one who needs to get a clue. I hate to break it to you, but <u>YOUR</u> beloved President is NOT the second coming.

Worst ... President ... EVER.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sitting here trying to figure out why the hell some major action hasn't already been taken by the federal government.

Why do I get the general feeling of "fuck it, it's too late for em, just let it all sort out"?

You guys know any way of helping besides donating? The group I do computer repair with is building a group of semi-old machines to send to a lot of the people who need computers for state/important stuff because their computers got taken away in the flood, (all I could really do at the moment I think?) but I'd like to do more if I could.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant what is written in this thread is the opinion of peoples either in the States bashing the states or people outside, creating an image of what they have digested through the news media. Granted, we are not under the water or starving or dead, but it's fucking appalling. That's the image that is being shown. Appalling that the bush administration has its finger up its arse and is letting thousands of americans die, because they are probably following some guide written in the 60's about how to handle disasters, letting the infirm and sick die before giving aid. That is appalling for such a rich and powerfull country. You can ignore the political aspect to this if you wish, but that really is what is making everyone sick to the hind teeth of how things have been handled. Terrible.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    This thread is this board at its worst. It's a shame. Some of you, without mentioning names, need to drop the political bullshit and start getting your priorities in order.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you find to be a 'shame' I find to be the highlight of this board. You get people with all kinds of opinions / lifestyles, voicing them as they see fit. Yet, they are ready to help one another get better at their artwork.

It's the beauty of free speech and tolerence.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So true skankerzero. Thats what i was getting at.
  • ElysiumGX
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    people voted for him based on 'moral' issues, instead of economics, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It just goes to show where people's priorities are set at.

I'm sorry, but for someone to say that bashing an administration is terrible and unfair after a tragic situation such as this is wrong is silly. Bush and his administration are facing the grim reality of setting aside internal problems in favor of external agendas. The point is that he was given an option to try and fix a problem in advance before it ever occurred. Instead, he used the least effort possible to gloss over the problem just enough so that people wouldn’t totally complain about it.

I'm going to say that while Clinton (or any other president previous) didn’t have to address such issues concerning the levee situation in Louisiana {and then lucking out by not seeing any hurricanes during his terms as pres} doesn't cut Bush any more slack for him or his admin's faults for not addressing the problem. This summer had been predicted to have a particularly terrible hurricane season. Louisiana had measures to counter any powerful hurricanes as it were and it was in his term as president that these particular proposals were made. He was presented with a problem, assessed it, and took no real action over the matter. I would be pissed at any other president if they did nothing either. It just sucks for him that a hurricane actually DID come in and plow through that area. Regardless, he has the power to address such matters and did nothing.

As for…

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you think we'd be seeing such harrowing images of a city on the brink If it had happened in a city whose populous was predominantly white? Somehow I just don't think so. Somehow deep down, I can't help but feel that aid would have gotten to them quicker If it had happened in another city, and I'm sure on the ground there are many people that feel the same way. Perhaps the looting is their way of saying 'fuck you. To hell with it all'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Similar situation happened with the LA riots. It’s just a harsh reality made apparent. The moral thing would be to take what you need but we are human after all and we will take what we can get, granted there is nothing to get in our way. It’s just terrible that people use a tragedy to run amok because there is no one to really stop them.

I honestly think that the same situation would occur in any major city since most of the people that live inside of city limits are minorities anyway.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.hospital.sniper/index.html

I wonder if all those people that said that less gun control and more weapons for more people makes the world safer are eating there words (or bullets) right now as absolute chaos washes across new orleans. But i guess they are too busy shooting people to realize that the logic behind guns for everyone is pretty fucking stupid.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I see what you mean, here's 2 news stories with clear bias coming from yahoo, for some people finding food or looting food is all based on your color.

Find food

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/photos_ts_afp/050830071810_shxwaoma_photo1

Loot food

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/050830/480/ladm10208301530

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow ... check the first "white finding food" link. It's gone now. The "black looting food" link is still in crystal clarity. W. T. F.

[ QUOTE ]
    To our readers: This photo was removed from Yahoo! News at the request of AFP.
    Yahoo! News statement on photo language controversy.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Instead of helping each other they are looting, killing and rapeing - just shows how civilised humans really are.
    It made me realise how much we really need goverements and police.
  • hawken
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think it helps that I went and watched Sin City yesterday... But gunmen shooting at evacuation efforts? That's it, send in the helicopters and mow down anyone holding a gun. Flag them as terrorists if needed. They can do it in Iraq, shouldn't be a problem to do that in NO.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, shooting at people that might look like terrorists if you tilt your head by 90° and squint.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Shoot to kill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4207202.stm

Louisiana's governor said 300 "battle-tested" National Guardsmen were being sent to the crippled city.

"They have M-16s and are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and I expect they will," Kathleen Blanco said.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, it really sounds like some sort of hell down there.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    people raped, ... O_o crazy situation
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Moz : thats exactly what i was thinking.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/01/katrina.hospital.sniper/index.html

I wonder if all those people that said that less gun control and more weapons for more people makes the world safer are eating there words (or bullets) right now as absolute chaos washes across new orleans. But i guess they are too busy shooting people to realize that the logic behind guns for everyone is pretty fucking stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, yes i'm sure every single one of those guns those people have are their own legally licensed weapons. people with a legitimate license to carry weapon do so for situations like this, and like this.... YADA
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Irritant, YOU are the one who needs to get a clue. I hate to break it to you, but <u>YOUR</u> beloved President is NOT the second coming.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOO shit this tool is a deer in the headlights, much less the second coming.

Maybe I just don't understand the logistics completely but why can't we start air dropping supplies to these people that are dying of thirst and starvation?

I think I have a little more understanding of the looting - when conditions are like this, i.e. complete and total anarchy and it comes down to stealing to survive you can pretty much just throw the law books out the window - I wouldn't give a shit and I would do what it takes to survive. If it came to killing to save my or my family's life (in self defense) I'd have few qualms.

And why in the FUCK are we refusing foreign aid? Are we too proud? Georgie boy sure isn't handling things. Why didn't we fire him again? Oh yeah because we're in the middle of Christians vs Muslims round 87.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sledgy, I totally hear you on the refusal of foreign aid thing. It makes no sense... what is it, some sort of absurd national pride the goverment wants to preserve? They're rapidly losing credibility there...

Quote from the BBC:

[ QUOTE ]
    "But the head of the New Orleans emergency operations described the relief effort as a national disgrace.

And Mayor Ray Nagin has angrily denounced the level of outside help the city has received. "People are dying here," he said. "

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't make any sense to me... why would you refuse foreign aid? Is there any reason? If it could have got there rapidly and helped the situation, why would you say no?

Glad to see there are still good people around doing the best they can, though.

Oh, and I'm so glad everyone's finally getting some use out of their firearms. poly131.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still watching steaming videos from the area. I just watched Air Force one land, Bush had a ridiculous conference. He isn't accepting any foreign aid because he believes our nation can take care of this situation AND Iraq. Watching the conference , and listening to his words afterwards...this man is incredibly misinformed. This isn't bashing him...this is an observation of the lack of coordination and communication betweeen the police officials, federal official, and the military. Wasn't the patriot act a solution to this? I think many in our nation, especially the government and leaders, don't have clear understanding of just how gruesome the situation has become with each passing hour, and that's affecting and delaying the decisions being made. The best information and coordination is happening right here on the internet.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    ok yeah the no foreign aid thing is bullshit, it's ridiculous to think we don't need the help when our own government can't get it's shit together
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to say that, yes, this is Polycount at it's most disgusting. Partisan opportunism in the face of such a disaster is vile and unseemly. In any disaster it's the local and state authorities that are the first responders. America is not a tiny country so there is a lot of local authority granted to those that are there. The fact that Governor Blanco dithered might be part of the problem? It took the US 48 hours to get aid to the Tsunami victims, mostly because we ran roughshod over the local authorities (see Banda Ace) Here, there is standard buireacratic inertia, because things have to be done through channels, and couple this with the fact of New Orleans rather byzantine local politics, and the fact there are NO ROADS ABOVE WATER INTO THE CITY, getting the trucks of supplies from California that left monday is a problem too.

Looking at this thread, you can pretty much see the opportunists, and those folks who's opinions lack maturity, experience, or more to the point cease to matter to me any more.

This bnoard was set up to help people. I have tried to live by that by giving critiques, writing tutorials, and getting peoples models into UT, but this is just disgusting,and yu ought to be ashamed of yourselves exploiting sucha tragedy just to score some points.

Scott
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the first time during his 4 1/2 years as President, Bush has admitted to a failure:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/02/bush.katrina.ap/index.html
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Scott: I guess, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not bashing Bush here or trying to "score some points" ... I'm just wondering why the government refused foreign aid. Any ideas?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    this is just disgusting,and yu ought to be ashamed of yourselves exploiting sucha tragedy just to score some points.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the irony of anyone who supports the present administration making a statement such as this has already been pointed out, hasn't it?

BTW - looks like there are people on both sides looking to "score points":

[ QUOTE ]
    Even Republicans were criticizing Bush and his administration for the sluggish relief effort. "I think it puts into question all of the Homeland Security and Northern Command planning for the last four years, because if we can't respond faster than this to an event we saw coming across the Gulf for days, then why do we think we're prepared to respond to a nuclear or biological attack?" said former House Speaker Newt Gingrich

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Scott Ruggels
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's much easier to bomb a city than it is to feed it. now bombing them with food would be great. let's roll.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So is the war in Iraq causing troop shortfalls for hurricane relief in New Orleans?

In a word, no.

Well, duh. If anyone thought ANY nation would send so many troops abroad that they can't respond to internal problems anymore, he's stupid. The issue isn't manpower, it's how much of the desaster-prevention budget was eaten away by the war.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This is true. Scott, the main concern isn't that the troops aren't available, or are taking so long to get there. It's the fact that there were heavy cutbacks in flood defence in that area, purely to finance the Iraq war.

[ QUOTE ]
    "In its budget, the Bush administration proposed a significant reduction in funding for south-east Louisiana's chief hurricane protection project. Bush proposed $10.4m, a sixth of what local officials say they need," reported Newhouse News Service yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/katrina/story/0,16441,1560764,00.html

I'd say blaming the Bush administration in this case, is justified.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think we're denying help anymore. Austrailia is giving us $10million, and Japan is giving $200,000 along with $300,000 worth of supplies. Tony Blair hasn't commited to anything yet, but they are offering anything they can. Even Sri Lanka, who's still recovering, made a wonderfull gesture by giving us $25,000.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else think that maybe they could have saved money if they had just given the $60million that the local officials said was required for flood defences in the first place, instead of cutting back then, only to pledge $10billion of aid now?
    I wonder how much damage would have been done if the city had been given the amount they asked for and kept the flood defences fully and properly looked-after?
    I certainly don't think they'd have had such huge problems as they do now, if that base had been covered from the outset.

Of course, now everyone will just see that there's a huge disaster - oh no! But look, we're saved, Bush is pledging $10 billion in emergency aid, what a nice man!

It usually saves a lot of hassle in the future if you plan accordingly beforehand...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    A very frank and moving audio interview with the Mayor of New Orleans. It's fairly clear how he feels about the situation:

http://tinyurl.com/7bxrd
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard the same recording via CNN radio. I don't blame the guy one bit, either. He's completely right.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    A very frank and moving audio interview with the Mayor of New Orleans. It's fairly clear how he feels about the situation:

http://tinyurl.com/7bxrd

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, he's just another opportunist that lacks maturity and experience.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet your maturely saying this from the comfort of your livingroom, while watching the Simpsons and fiddling around in photoshop ain't you ?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love that interview daz. I really feel what that guy is saying. If i knew how to get down there to help I would.

Astro: I think that is a bit uncalled for. I dont think we understand fully what he is going through. Sounds like he's doing everything he can.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.somethingawful.com/

[ QUOTE ]

On the Internet I've seen people blatantly placing blame on Bush, FEMA, Congress, the National Guard, and even Homeland Security. Who is responsible? Who should be blamed? All of them. This is a colossal failure of our government to care for and protect its citizenry on every conceivable level.

The heroes are the men and women on the scene doing their utmost to help those in need. Coast Guard rescue workers plucking people to safety and Red Cross workers feeding people from emergency kitchens are heroes. The man who commandeered a bus and got people out of New Orleans when the government was woefully impotent is a hero. The woman who smashed the glass on a convenience store to loot bottled water for fifteen kids who should have been absolutely inundated with supplies by then is a hero. The doctors and nurses hand-bagging ventilator patients 24 hours a day in dark hospitals are heroes.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet your maturely saying this from the comfort of your livingroom, while watching the Simpsons and fiddling around in photoshop ain't you ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think both you and Neo missed the earlier post by Mr. Ruggels where he arrogantly and self-righteously called those of us who don't agree with his personal world view "opportunists" who "lack maturity and experience." In any event, I was being sarcastic.
This discussion has been closed.