Home Technical Talk

Upgrading or building a new PC? This is the thread for you!

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    @nomzod Depends on what you plan to use it for. Wouldn't be a bad choice if you need a PC dedicated to both CPU and GPU rendering, but probably a huge waste of money for a normal workstation. 

About the specific parts; The Western Digital SN850 has been succeeded by the SN850X which is a little faster but should be about the same price. It's quite rare for anyone to get a dedicated internal sound card these days unless they have some specific need related to audio production, and for simply listening to music an external DAC+AMP will normally do a better job. Also, while the RTX 8000 does have a lot of VRAM it's actually a fairly old card having released back in 2019, a better choice for those that need tons of VRAM would be the "RTX 6000 Ada" (not the be confused with any non-"Ada" models) which is much closer to the 4090 in performance.
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'm almost 100% confident that you could build 4 7950/4090 boxes with that money and get your work done faster
    what are you going to use it for ?

and yeah - I dont see the 5090 being particularly revolutionary.  faster yes but there's nothing really new there. 
    It's only got 28gb because the capacity is a function of the memory bus width - they're not doing it out of generosity.
    The 50% bump in memory throughput is much more compelling than the increase in memory capacity because that's something you'll actually notice

Assuming it doesn't get too close enough to interfere with Quadro sales I wouldn't be surprised to see a 32gb version with a 512bit bus ship a year after launch 
  • nomzod
    Offline / Send Message
    nomzod polycounter lvl 7
    PolyHertz said:
    @nomzod Depends on what you plan to use it for. Wouldn't be a bad choice if you need a PC dedicated to both CPU and GPU rendering, but probably a huge waste of money for a normal workstation.
    Two of those industry cards, and maya can render ray tracing in real time! Yeah, I've got a use for that.