Upgrading or building a new PC? This is the thread for you!

Replies

• KranckAttack
    This thread is such a great read, as always. I've got a pickle I haven't been able to decide though.

I'm mostly working from home, working on my portfolio, but now I got a 2-month gig abroad. They've got a computer for me to use on-site, but they want me to work with Mari for 3D painting textures for them, which I'll want to learn and practice on my own time so they get their money's worth. My desktop runs Substance and Quixel just fine, and I built it just a year ago, partly from used parts, but my old laptop is not up for the task. (Contract may or may not extend.)

So I need to consider... Should I get a budget-y yet workable laptop for mobility for abroad gigs, game jams and devving on the go? Or should I just transport my whole rig there, and save the money for upgrading that in the future. Transport's paid for, so that's not really part of the equation. I still have my main monitor's box, I have a second one available for borrowing over there. I plan on just wrapping the desktop up best I can, and detaching the GPU and the CPU fan for safer transport, taking those in my carry-on.

If my desktop was shittier, I'd get a fancy laptop in a heartbeat, fancy being 2000€-ish. But it'd feel dumb to over-do it with my desktop being quite decent, however a 1500€-ish or lower budget option as a secondary to-go might be worth it? Here's the desktop's stats:

CPU
    -  Ryzen 7 1800X Eight-Core Processor, (160 CPUs), ~3.8GHz un-clocked

RAM
    - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz F4-2666C15D-16GRR

Mobo
    - ASUS PRIME B350M-A (AM4)

GPU
    - 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980
    (Likely my current bottle-neck, but I got it for cheap as used from a friend.)

HD
    - Samsung 960 EVO SSD M.2. 2280 - 250 GB
    - 2TB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164

Main Screen
    - AG271QG ([email protected]) 27" IPS
    (This one's been a decent budget alternative to a similar Predator monitor, by the way, but I've yet to calibrate it. 27" at 1440p is definitely a good balance though, don't think I'd notice 4K at this size, don't think I'd use more screen real estate enough to warrant bigger next to my second monitor, an old DELL ultrawide.)

I'm suspecting the most anyone could tell me is to look deep into my heart and see what I really personally need. Mobility at large, or vast, cosmic computing power in an itty bitty territory? But perhaps at least this might awaken some interesting discussion.

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    If you're seriously considering using a desktop in a mobile fashion, you might want to consider an ITX build. People have built some really nice PCs using the Ncase M1 and DAN A4-SFX.
  • Athaedos
    Offline / Send Message
    Athaedos polycounter lvl 6
    I'm looking to get myself a laptop workstation, primarily for z-brush, substance painter, maya, and photoshop. And more than that, I want to be able to develop and play in Unity, so it certainly needs a graphics card. 

My budget is 1600 or lower, and right now I'm looking at a variety of brands that can all give me something like the following:

- 9th gen Intel® Core™ Processor i7-9750H 2.60GHz Turbo 4.5GHz 12MB Cache Processor (Coffee Lake)
    - 16 to 32 GB DDR4 RAM (I'm figuring it's a must that it's up-gradable to 32GB if not in initial purchase, ideally 64GB)
    - 1 TB M2 drive + some kind of internal backup drive to duplicate stuff to before it's in the cloud.
    - NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 or RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 or I'm open to even a 1060 since the unity play testing is the least important part of what this machine needs to do. 

Gigabyte's AORUS, MSI's GL73, and CyberPowerPC's Tracer 3's all offer these at this price point, but I'm not too sure about build quality. The Tracer 3's offer more up front customizability on their manufacturer website, but those do come with a caveat of only 32 GB max ram instead of 64 like the others, and given that I had to dig that info up rather than it being presented easily means I wouldn't be surprised if it was harder to do as well (I haven't ever upgraded a laptop before but I'm comfortable with desktop hardware). 

Any opinions on if I'm going down the wrong rabbit hole here for my stated needs?

One of the bigger questions in my mind still is 15 inches versus 17. I have a feeling I'd like the larger screen and not be too sad that the thing was a bit less portable. And when it comes to the portability I do value, I don't really care about weight but saving space is nice. Not gonna be traveling every day with it or anything, but the whole point is to have something I can take with me. 
  • Athaedos
    Offline / Send Message
    Athaedos polycounter lvl 6
    Well! I ended up just going for a cheaper option because I couldn't find the right balance of build quality and price with the newest cpus/gpus. I also just decided to buy a sit/stand electric desk for my home office so my 'not wincing in pain' budget for this kind of decreased. I got a Lenovo Legion Y7000 for 900 bucks on sale from Costco, and will upgrade it to 32 GB RAM.

Going to get this RAM I think, but my question now would be, is there any reason to grab the 3000 MT/s ram over the 2666 MT/s? Would that make any kind of noticable difference for Zbrush?

Crucial 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT2K16G4SFD8266
    https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-16GBx2-PC4-21300-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B071H38422?tag=wpcentralb-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUdUnU63059YYwYg&th=1

I've kind of committed mentally to this primarily being a mobile Zbrush workhorse since the GeForce 1060 isn't gonna be blowing me away with Substance Painter, but at least it won't stop me from using the program when I need to either. 

Any other tips for this machine, I imagine I might want a cooling pad?

Also, advice from people regarding my previous ideas would be handy, I still may return this if I decide on something better. I might end up doing that just to grab the newer Y7000 releasing at the end of this month since I would like substance painter perf to not be too far behind my main workstation.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    Personally I vastly prefer 15' laptops for their portability+weight over 17' ones, since remember you're not just hauling around the laptop but a power brick, mouse, and maybe headphones as well. But ultimately it just comes down to personal preference.

DDR4 2666 is perfectly fine, no need to go above that for now. Current CPU specifications only actually support up to that speed anyway by default (most people that get higher speed ram do it because the modules are cheaper or because they want to overclock).

Cooling pads are useful since they tend to help laptops live longer (laptop parts tend to wear out faster then desktop ones partially due to their worse cooling).
  • carrottoptw
    Hey, I've got a question, I've currently got 32GB ram installed (on an i7 6700K, 8 core). I'm using a lot of 16bit 8k displacement maps applied to my mesh in Zbrush and finding that Zbrush really starts to lag a fair bit even with "Quick View" turned on (understandable given the size of the maps).  I'm in a position to upgrade my pc's ram to maybe 64GB.  I was just wondering if that would make a difference with handling large displacement maps or is jump from 32 to 64 not really that noticeable/worth it? Wondered if anyone had any experience/wisdom to offer on it :)
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @carrottoptw Have you checked the windows task manager to see if you're maxing out your current ram? If you are then more ram can help, if not...do you have an SSD? the way ZBrush caches data can benefit from using an SSD over a mechanical hard drive. If that's also not an issue then you're best bet is getting a newer CPU. Just fyi, the 6700K you mentioned is actually 4 core 8 thread (the 6700K was one of the last 'high-end' mainstream CPUs launched with only 4 cores)
  • carrottoptw
    @PolyHertz Ahhh right thanks very much for the really useful info!  I have a couple of SSD's and zbrush is cached to a secondary 1TB one I seem to remember.  But I will defo check the task manager to see how much ram I'm using  tomorrow.  Haha you're totally right, my mistake about the cores!  Was considering upgrading the CPU as I made the pc in early 2016 so the cpu is getting along a bit but still pretty good and handles everything I need well enough.  Any suggestions on a powerful cpu?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @carrottoptw Right now I'd actually say wait just a little bit before upgrading since it's rumored that AMD may be releasing their new generation of CPUs right after Computex on May 28th, in both 12 core (24 thread) and 16 core (32 thread) variants. If you're a fan of Intel there isn't really anything comparable coming out soon afaik (they've been struggling to keep up with AMD since Ryzen launched in 2017).
  • carrottoptw
    @PolyHertz I'll defiantly wait to see then whats what with AMD in the very near future release then.  I've always had Intel so never made the transition to AMD but heard good things about the threadripper.  But if I go for AMD then my mobo would need an upgrade I'd assume as I'm using a 2016 https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Professional%20Gaming%20i7/.  Food for thought 

• carrottoptw
    @PolyHertz... Hey again, so I checked zbrush against the task manager to see mem usage when using disp and splitting the mesh into multiple subtools based on udims and then subdividing each subtool to around 45mill to maintain 16bit disp details and I'm averaging around 75 to almost 90% of memory usage of my 32gb.  Zbrush hasn't crashed if displacement is just applied but then it becomes a difficult/laggy to sculpt with.  Not sure if my memory settings (default) are ok or not either...  What do you think, would I benefit from 64gb? (which is the max my motherboard can take)

• radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge Polycount Sponsor
    its been a while since ive built a pc and ive never bought an amd processor, but it seems like everyone is on the threadripper bandwagon these days, anything to watch out for?  it used to be that amd vs intel was a big deal when it came to software compatibility is that no longer an issue?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @carrottoptw You can max out Compact Mem in ZBrush (to 4096) and it might give you some performance gain, the default of 256 is an old setting for very low-spec PCs.

Your RAM looks like it very well could be a bottleneck given how close you are getting to maxing out, but it's hard to say how much increasing it will improve performance. If you know of any local shops where you could buy extra ram and return it if it doesn't give you the performance you're looking for then that might be worth trying. If it doesn't end up helping though there's nothing much you can really do but start budgeting for a new CPU + Motherboard.

@radiancef0rge Compatibility isn't really a major issue with AMD CPUs these days. Unlike AMDs older CPUs, the Ryzen and Threadripper line are quite well supported. That said, with AMD rumored to be releasing a 16 core Ryzen CPU within a month it might not be worth going with the more expensive Threadripper any longer (unless you need over 16 cores / 32 threads).
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge Polycount Sponsor
    thanks!
  • beefaroni
  • carrottoptw
    @PolyHertz Ahhh yeah I'm not sure now, I guess more ram might make a small difference, and yeah I guess I could get it from amazon as they usually accept returns if it doesnt make much of a difference...  The CPU/MOBO will need upgrading soon but will have to have a think about it.  Thanks for all your help with this!
  • OneMoreShepard
    Offline / Send Message
    OneMoreShepard polycounter lvl 3
    What is the point in buying RTX for workstation? I don't get it
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Working with real-time Ray tracing in UE4, there are bakers in substance designer that are now RTX accelerated and in the future more software might end up using these features.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    Yep, RTX dramatically increases baking speed in Substance. Jerc from Allegoritmic made a comment about it here just a few days ago.
  • OneMoreShepard
    Offline / Send Message
    OneMoreShepard polycounter lvl 3
    PolyHertz said:
    Yep, RTX dramatically increases baking speed in Substance. Jerc from Allegoritmic made a comment about it here just a few days ago.
    m4dcow said:
    Working with real-time Ray tracing in UE4, there are bakers in substance designer that are now RTX accelerated and in the future more software might end up using these features.
    I see, thanks for responses. Is it working only in Designer or Painter is supported as well? Although I'm not sure if it will be worth it for me personally, since I'm not baking 4k textures, usually just 2k and only a few at a time. I plan to buy a new PC this summer and mostly looking at 1660ti or new Navi cards from AMD.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    Just an update for those waiting on the new AMD CPUs, they are releasing on July 7th. Here's the list of confirmed CPUs so far:

$500    - AMD R9 3900X (12 cores , 3.8~4.6ghz) (Socket AM4) (Release: July 7th 2019)
    $400    - AMD R7 3800X (8 cores , 3.9~4.5ghz) (Socket AM4) (Release: July 7th 2019)
    $330    - AMD R7 3700X (8 cores , 3.6~4.4ghz) (Socket AM4) (Release: July 7th 2019)
    $250    - AMD R5 3600X (6 cores , 3.8~4.4ghz) (Socket AM4) (Release: July 7th 2019)
    $200    - AMD R5 3600 (6 cores , 3.6~4.2ghz) (Socket AM4) (Release: July 7th 2019)

If you plan to upgrade your CPU but have an older AM4 motherboard, here's a compatibility chart:

• Kenbro
    I'm not quite know well about PC,but still wanna build my own PC.

I've keep heard people saying that stay away from amd when doing like,modeling,texturing,rendering,vfx....etc,those cg works.
    I'd asked about which graphic card to use on allegorithmic forum,and one guy told me not to use amd  due to driver issues pops
    up for people when using 3d software.Some guys says that  intel cpu perform better on 3d software due to better FLOPS than amd

I wonder if this is true or things changes now ,all I care is a faster and stable PC with good price to work,maybe play game sometimes.
    right now intel and nvidia has become overpriced , this makes me thinking about to use amd,still I'm worry,I don't wanna spend the whole
    time to deal with hardware and driver problem.So what would you guys suggest?

BTW,is  it ok to use intel cpu with amd gpu or amd cpu with nvidia gpu?

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @Kenbro For CPUs, AMD is considered better then Intel right now (Thanks to the Ryzen series having better overall cost vs performance ratio), but when it comes to GPUs (video cards) NVIDIA is still considered the better brand overall (unless you're using Blender).
  • Grumpus
    Hey guys!

This thread is great, a lot of really good info on here. I'm after some recommendations for a build and to be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed by the options!

A little bit about me and my needs - I've built several PCs over the years but haven't really paid any attention to the tech for at least the last 5 or so years. My current PC uses an i7 4790K (4.00GHZ), 16GB of 1600 MHz RAM and I've got a GTX 970. This build is around 5 years old and I'm noticing some really severe slowdowns in certain applications. I know I could probably keep it going for another couple of years with some upgrades, but it'd also be really convenient to have 2 PCs for a different workspace so I'm committed to a brand new build.

I work in most of the typical art applications but Zbrush is where I'd really like to see gains. Currently tools which are in total ~50Mil points get very slow to work with, and if the active subtool exceeds 5Mil points it's so sluggish I can barely work. I see artists working into individual pores on a face, my PC is currently just not able to handle this kind of detail!

I figured this was due to insufficient, slow RAM but weirdly most of my issues (at least in the resource monitor) appear to be CPU based. This is a bit awkward because the latest lineup of CPUs don't really beat out my 4790K in single thread speed. Maybe Zbrush has changed but historically I've always been told to go for a fast clock speed and not worry too much about multiple cores? The new AMD's look like great value for money, but I worry I'd actually end up losing speed over my existing 4790K...

Essentially, I'm looking for a build that runs Zbrush as well as possible, with a budget of ~£2000 (although flexible). I know I'm looking for at least 32GB of 3200 RAM, but I'm a little stuck on the CPU specifically. I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks!
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @Grumpus Assuming you go for one of the better Ryzen CPUs, performance should be the same or better in all cases compared to your 4790K. Here's a comparison of it vs the 2700X (which is about to be replaced by the new 3000 generation of Ryzen CPUs):

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X/2384vs3958

As you can see, per-thread they're basically on-par with each other, but the 2700X has double the cores/multi-threaded performance. That said, the 4790K is obviously an older CPU atp so what we should actually be comparing to is Intels top of the line 9900K (which costs $500), but AMDs direct competitor to that the 3900X (also $500) wont be out until July 7. Still, from what has been shown the 3900X should be the better buy overall.

So personally, I'd go with something like this given your budget:
    $500    CPU: Ryzen 5 3900X
    $700    GPU: Geforce RTX 2080 8GB
    $300    RAM: 64GB (4x 16GB)
    $250    SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
    $50     HDD: 2TB
    $???   MOBO: An X570 motherboard (we'll have to wait until they're out to know which is best)
    $100    Tower: Fractal Design Meshify C
    $100    Power: Seasonic FOCUS Plus (750W, Gold rated)

Also, you might be able to get somewhat better performance in ZBrush by maxing your your compact memory size if you haven't already (preferences > mem > compact mem).
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp sublime tool
    Grumpus said:
    I work in most of the typical art applications but Zbrush is where I'd really like to see gains. Currently tools which are in total ~50Mil points get very slow to work with, and if the active subtool exceeds 5Mil points it's so sluggish I can barely work. I see artists working into individual pores on a face, my PC is currently just not able to handle this kind of detail!

I figured this was due to insufficient, slow RAM but weirdly most of my issues (at least in the resource monitor) appear to be CPU based. This is a bit awkward because the latest lineup of CPUs don't really beat out my 4790K in single thread speed. Maybe Zbrush has changed but historically I've always been told to go for a fast clock speed and not worry too much about multiple cores?
    I'm also still rocking the 4790K and like you said it's hard to find a reason to upgrade if you are looking for single thread top speed.

Zbrush however is an outlier in my experience - I have a slightly slower 6-core Xeon here that noticeably beats my 4790k with the exact same scene files and there's a thread on here somewhere with a Zbrush benchmark that suggests that this is the one application that scales well across cores - probably because unlike the rest of them it does only rely on the CPU to render the viewport.

However, the greatest benefit to performance (and stability with larger scenes) I've found in ZBrush is memory. 64 vs 32 GB make a difference for me here. And sadly that 4790K is on a platform that cannot address more than 32. The only good to reason to upgrade in general - at least from what I can see.

In your case a quick fix might be to get 32 GB though. 5 million per subtool - I have no issue handling that on the 4790k. (in my current scene file on the machine with 64 GB my main subtool consists of 44 millions and it all runs fine, the other box is struggling with it).
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek greentooth

PolyHertz said:
    So personally, I'd go with something like this given your budget:
    $500    CPU: Ryzen 5 3900X
    $140    MOBO: ASUS B450-F Gaming ATX
    If you're pairing the 12 core with a B450 (or even x470 for that matter) board you'll want to make sure it has an adequate VRM setup.

If you're into tweaking as well you might benefit from tweaking your ram using the ryzen dram calc too. Or at the very least remember to go into your bios and enable XMP profile. And it helps if you start with quality ram too (samsung b-die or micron e-die)
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    From what I understand the B450 and X470 should be fine with the X3900X, at least AMD has listed them as all being compatible (unlike B350 and X370 which are selectively supported). But yea it'll be better to get an X570 board just to be 100% sure, edited the above post to reflect that.
  • ElectricEchoes
    Offline / Send Message
    ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
    A little bit of a predicament here. I need a new build within the next two weeks, but Ryzen 3rd Gen is around the corner. Unfortunately, I don't have any existing hardware that I can use as a tempory solution as I'm moving country in two weeks and my current one won't be joining me.

So, this is probably a bit of a ridiculous question, but should I opt for a 9900k or is it worth buying a cheap AM4 based CPU for temporary use until the 3900x is available? I'm currently using a 4770k which comfortably handles my workload, so any AMD equivalent would suffice for the meantime.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @ElectricEchoes ;The Ryzen 1600X or 2600 would be a slightly better then your old CPU, and both go for about $150 new these days. If you go that route make sure you get an X400 motherboard since it'll they'll be the most compatible with the new Ryzen 3000 series (X500 would be ideal but wont be out within your timeframe).

The 9900K is a great chip, but keep in mind that it's known to run very hot and under load it uses far more power then Any of the Ryzen CPUs.

(Edited due to mistakes pointed out by m4dcow's post below)
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    PolyHertz said:
    @ElectricEchoes The Ryzen 1600X would be a slightly better then your old CPU, and goes for about $120 new these days. If you go that route make sure you get an X400 or X500 series motherboard so you can be sure it'll work with the new Ryzen 3000 series CPUs when you upgrade.
    1st Gen Ryzen chips aren't compatible with X570 chipset (not sure about B550 or whatever it ends up being called).
    https://www.techspot.com/news/80288-amd-x570-chipset-wont-support-first-generation-ryzen.html

There is also the issue that 500 series boards won't be available until the 3000 series chips are.

So maybe the option is to get a X470 board and a cheaper CPU could be 1st or 2nd Gen (1XXX or 2XXX series) and then buy a higher end 3000 series when they come out. That is of course if you want to go the AMD route.
  • Grumpus
    Really solid advice, thank you @PolyHertz / @thomasp
    Looks like the best course of action is to go for the build Polyhertz suggested, but to also upgrade my current PC's ram (I hope to still use it a fair bit but wouldn't be my main workstation).

Looks like the ROG Strix X570-E is maybe the MOBO to go for too, but like you said will have to wait and see!
  • nelu
    Offline / Send Message
    nelu polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys! Looking to add a 32" monitor to my setup. I have one 24" 1920x1200 right now. Probably two 24" monitors setup would be pretty good but I prefer having all the  tools/panels for the same program on one screen.
    I've already seen a 27" 2560x1440 but it doesn't look a great upgrade for me. And one issue was that almost everyone has a scaling of 125%, I've tried 100% scaling and it was way to small. So scaling to 125% kind of cancels the UI space I should gain from upgrading to a 27" monitor.
    Regarding 24" vs 27" , the later will add around 12 mm vertical physical space and 75 mm horizontaly which is not so much for an upgrade in my opinion. 

So I'm curios did anyone use a 31-32" 1440p monitor for 3d work? Does it feel 1440p is enough for a 32" monitor? After seeing a 27" monitor at 100% scaling it looks like 1440p it would be a better fit for a 32" monitor.

Or UHD (4K) would be a better choice? Is sharpness such a big difference between QHD and UHD?
    I've seen a Phillips VA 4k monitor but I wasn't impressed by the resolution, but the physical size is what I need. I didn't observed color shifting on this VA.
    I didn't have an opportunity to see a 32" 1440p for comparison.

Also how are VA panels this days? Is color shifting better, at least while working from the normal position? Contrast is a plus for VA's. I have an IPS panel and contrast is not great. 

Also I will be  sitting at a distance of 75 cm (30") from the screen.
    The price between 32" 2160p and 32" 1440p is 2 times more (or even x 2.5)
    I'll be using it for 3d modeling, texturing and rendering. And I'm keeping current monitor, Dell 24" IPS, as a second monitor.

So, I know I want a 32" monitor but not sure if I should spend more money on a UHD panel and if a VA panel would be also good enough for my needs. (I know I could buy it and return it if I don't like it, but I'm waiting for some opinions, and I want to avoid this trouble if possible :) ).

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp sublime tool
    I'd recommend checking out curved ultra widescreen displays. A single one of these beats a dual screen setup for flexibility. Lack of bezel and gap as well as lack of color and resolution mismatches are a blessing. Also takes up less space overall. Just make sure it's a matte type, I've seen some that look almost reflective and that's a very irritating effect when you move the head.

For reference, I have the LG34UC99 here. That one is only good for a really sturdy desk like mine or on a mount because on shakier ground the default stand wobbles a bit. Geniuses...! No complaints about the picture though.

• ElectricEchoes
    Offline / Send Message
    ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the help @PolyHertz and @m4dcow

I think I'll go with the 2600 and a good X470 board that'll handle the 3900x. 
  • nelu
    Offline / Send Message
    nelu polycounter lvl 13
    @thomasp Doesn't bother you being a curved monitor for modeling and texturing? Also is Wacom Intuos tablet working fine on your ultra wide monitor?
    34" ultra wide has not enough screen space vertically, it's just a wider 27" monitor. But I've just found 38" ultra wide from Dell and LG which have around 3 cm more vertically and higher resolution.
    Thank you for your feedback!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp sublime tool
    nelu said:
    @thomasp Doesn't bother you being a curved monitor for modeling and texturing? Also is Wacom Intuos tablet working fine on your ultra wide monitor?
    34" ultra wide has not enough screen space vertically, it's just a wider 27" monitor. But I've just found 38" ultra wide from Dell and LG which have around 3 cm more vertically and higher resolution.
    Thank you for your feedback!
    The curved shape has not been an issue at all for me and Wacoms have always been a compromise ever since I moved on from a single regular aspect CRT and a tablet with matching aspect ratio: I have a medium size Intuos connected to this setup and have mapped only a vertically squashed strip of the drawing area.
    I use the setup mostly for all things 2D, video and painting/texturing and the aspect mismatch is barely noticeable. Getting a large Intuos and mapping it in this fashion would be an improvement though.

And screen space: I thought you wanted a 1440p screen? Yes it's basically like a 27 inch monitor vertically and comes with extra space horizontally to avoid needing that second monitor. 38 inch sounds even sweeter but I did not have the room for it (3 computers sharing that desk).

• Dumbanana
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 8
    Just wanted to add that AMD announced the Ryzen 9 3950x, 16 core processor yesterday during their E3 conference. 749$ Price, releases in mid September this year.

Also, really appreciate this thread as I'm planning to build a new computer this year! It's been very informative.
  • Kenbro
    I wonder does 4k 144hz monitor benefit to cg art work(digital painting vfx texturing modeling...)?I've seen more and more people start using 4k.

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    For 4K, some programs have a GUI that feels crowded on 1080p/1200p monitors (Mari comes to mind), and being able to access features without scrolling as much is nice. 144hz on the other hand is more of a gamer thing.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp sublime tool
    Mari indeed looked like a dark grey sprawl of palettes and buttons last time I checked but doesn't 4k translate to 1080 actually usable vertical pixels, just 'brute-force' antialised (penalising the GPU) - unless you run at native resolution and either have a huge screen in front of you - or use a magnifying glass?

Honestly I have not yet seen the point of it all and I'd be rather worried of taxing the GPU needlessly when doing our kind of work. 1440p or 1600p look sharp enough to me.

Also what's the effect of 4K when running Zbrush I wonder? 4x as many pixels that have to be rendered by the CPU, that can't be good.