Home Technical Talk

Upgrading or building a new PC? This is the thread for you!

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Theres hardly any photoshop improvements with faster GPUs, check out pugetsystems benches. probably single thread performance and fast ssds are the biggest benefits.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Well, if I find hardly any improvements, I suppose we can make due without the upgrade :) More money is saved too!
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If you use Quixel with Photoshop I'd imagine you'd see some noticeable improvements to its 3D Painting performance with a newer GPU, but otherwise your HDD/SSD will probably be the largest bottleneck when it comes to Photoshop performance.
  • the_cusser_man96

Ideal CPU for Maya: Clock speed or multiple cores?

Hello Gentlemen, I am building a PC. Can I get some advice on what type of CPU I should go for? The OP is excellent, really short but substantive!

Disclaimer: I've never built a PC, all of this is from 2 days of reading forums.

• Heavy 3D modelling (Maya)(Clock speed?)

• Heavy 3D Animation (Maya)(Clock speed?)

• Heavy Photoshop

• Heavy After effects (Clock speed)

• Heavy Premier Pro use (Real time playback)

• Rendering (Realtime "view port" rendering)

With the above points in mind, I've been reading around, apparently 80% of Maya is optimised for Clock speed, Only rendering benifitting from Multi core CPUs. I have read similar things For After Effects.

I have a budget of £2000/£3000. I really want to get the multi core R9 5950x But I feel there is no point in spending £850 if its not gonna benifit my moddeling and animation workload.

Would it be a good idea, to get a fast, Clock speed intel CPU and spend the rest on a good GPU(£1400) for (GPU Accelerated rendering) realtime playback/rendering? A common need for allot of the softwares I use.

I have the rest figured out. Jam as much RAM as you can in (64GB) etc etc. Its the link between CPU/GPU that is doing my head in. Thank you!

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd recommend the Ryzen 5900X, as it'll save you some money and has better single threaded performance then any current Intel CPU (the next step down, the 5700X, is a bit of a ripoff). The extra cores of the 3950X are probably not worth the cost difference in your case.

For the GPU, if you can wait a month or so the 3080 Ti should be a much better deal then the 3090 (I don't think the VRAM differences should affect performance nearly enough to warrant the 50% markup).

Also since it looks like you'll be doing video editing, you'll want very fast ram and a PCIe 4.0 based SSD. Video editing software loves fast memory. I just updated the OP section on RAM as a result so that might help if you have any questions about ram performance.
  • the_cusser_man96
    Thanks allot. This clarifies allot for me.

I really wanted to just get in and get out fast, as I get no pleasure traversing markets (now amazon/ebay thanks to covid) but you are the third person to tell me to wait it out too...hmm, I will start to read on this upcoming GPU. Thanks!

"Also since it looks like you'll be doing video editing, you'll want very fast ram and a PCIe 4.0 based SSD. Video editing software loves fast memory. I just updated the OP section on RAM as a result so that might help if you have any questions about ram performance."
    I recently came across this idea too. Apparently I will now need 3 diffrent NMV.2 drives. They are not cheap but the design theory behind it makes allot of senese to me, a noob.

• hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Hey everyone, I managed to get Palit GeForce RTX 3070 JetStream 8GB. Now I need to get the rest :)

I'm trying to assemble pc for Blender, Substance Painter, Designer, Zbrush, UE4. Environment art basically. I would like to see example build, because computer parts are not my cup of tea nowadays. I saw example builds in OP, which gave me general idea how my pc should look like, but I'm still looking for more knowledge so I can buy best pc for my purposes. I can spend around 1100-1200 eur, but if more money is needed for creating more balanced setup I think I can spend a bit more. Thanks in advance!
  • kat_sta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat_sta polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guys I was hoping that maybe some of your wise heads can tell me if selection of components I did is good enough for 3d character artist who want to dig into grooming and marvellous designer? any help kidly appriciated. I dont mind to go bit over 2k if I can get significantly better parts
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kat_sta There are a few major issues with that build:

1. You're vastly overpaying for an old GPU. The 1080 Ti has been discontinued for years and doesn't even have hardware based raytracing. The Geforce 3080 is cheaper, faster, and offers realtime raytracing.

2. Your RAM is way too slow, it'll bottleneck your CPU. You should be getting DDR4-3600, 3800, or somewhere in that area.

3. Your SSD is too slow as it's using the ancient "SATA" standard. A fast PC should use an "NVMe" based SSD so it can take advantage of modern latency improving and compression technologies (such as Microsofts Direct Storage and NVIDIA's RTX IO tech).

4. I'd also recommend a better power supply. The wattage should be fine, but when you're spend that much on a computer it doesn't make sense to go for a bottom of the line bronze-rated power supply.

Here's a modified version of your build based on the above points (costs almost exactly the same): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Br3Fp2

As a side note, while the 3700X is fine, if you can afford it I'd recommend going with the 5900X. The 4 extra cores (8 extra threads) should greatly improve scultping and rendering performance, and the IPC improvements will help with physics simulations (like in Marvelous Designer).
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @PolyHertz I don't think you can get a 3080 for that price right now, that one is probably out of stock. 
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea they're hard to get right now (at least at MSRP).
    EVGA has a feature on their website where you can be added to a queue to buy one. Once the cards available they send you an email and hold a card for you to purchase for 5 hours. The one listed there is $800 instead of $780 on their website. Sucks having to do it that way but better then fighting with bots.
  • kat_sta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz said:
    @kat_sta There are a few major issues with that build:

1. You're vastly overpaying for an old GPU. The 1080 Ti has been discontinued for years and doesn't even have hardware based raytracing. The Geforce 3080 is cheaper, faster, and offers realtime raytracing.

2. Your RAM is way too slow, it'll bottleneck your CPU. You should be getting DDR4-3600, 3800, or somewhere in that area.

3. Your SSD is too slow as it's using the ancient "SATA" standard. A fast PC should use an "NVMe" based SSD so it can take advantage of modern latency improving and compression technologies (such as Microsofts Direct Storage and NVIDIA's RTX IO tech).

4. I'd also recommend a better power supply. The wattage should be fine, but when you're spend that much on a computer it doesn't make sense to go for a bottom of the line bronze-rated power supply.

Here's a modified version of your build based on the above points (costs almost exactly the same): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Br3Fp2

As a side note, while the 3700X is fine, if you can afford it I'd recommend going with the 5900X. The 4 extra cores (8 extra threads) should greatly improve scultping and rendering performance, and the IPC improvements will help with physics simulations (like in Marvelous Designer).

Thank you so much for taking time and your knowledge to help me out. If RTX 3080 is so hard to get, will there be any other GPU worth choosing?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately GPUs in general are sold out basically everywhere right now, it's really the worst time possible to try and buy one. You could try checking with your local stores to see if/when any of them will be getting stock instead of relying on online storefronts, or join the EVGA queue for one like I mentioned above. Other then that though you're probably out of luck for the time being, unless you're willing to vastly over-pay for one on ebay.

You may want to just build the rest of your system and re-use whatever old GPU you have for the time being.
  • Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    I don't think you will get a 3080 for less than 1.5k for months, and a 2070 super would be better than a 1080ti today, but they are all about 1k too. Didn't know about that EVGA queue, maybe that will be the best way to get a 30xx. 
  • kat_sta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani said:
    I don't think you will get a 3080 for less than 1.5k for months, and a 2070 super would be better than a 1080ti today, but they are all about 1k too. Didn't know about that EVGA queue, maybe that will be the best way to get a 30xx. 

I saw today one for 800 but it's 6 weeks wait. I guess that might be best option that is there. Thans again for your help lads, you are legends. I was asking mates that work in the industry but only here I got such throughout answer @PolyHeartz :3
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krasenmaximov polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, 
    Im building a new PC. A friend of mine suggested some parts to buy. I told him my budget is 2000 - 2500 USD. However it is more expensive because of the currently overpricing.

STRIX RTX 3080 OC
    i9 10900k 

Other parts:
    Mobo- ROG STRIX Z490-H
    PSU - 850W Corsair HX850
    RAM - Gskill Trident Z RGB  F4-3200c16D-32GTZRX

I use Photoshop, my biggest concern is work comfortably while painting/ photobashing under multiple adjustment layers, layer styles and 7k res files.

I also want to try 3D modeling and rendering professionally, which I heard that Ryzen is faster on rendering and map baking. Do you think I will regret buying the 10900k? 
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    jStins said:
    Back in January I built this machine: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XCGs8M 

Everything ran well for the most part, but I would occasionally get a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD. I then updated the BIOS as a potential fix and it seemed to work. The system was very very stable for several months. 

Now however the system has become very unstable with random crashes, sometimes with various BSOD stop codes (stop codes don't repro reliably), other times just a hard reboot with no warning. I can often 'clean boot' (stopping all non-windows services and startup apps) after a crash, but turning any services back on seems to randomly reintroduce system instability. (Thought I had it pinned down to some Razer services, but after a period of stability, things got crash-y again).

The weird thing is I can, at times, use the system for hours with no problems (running apps like Maya and Substance Designer or playing games on high quality settings). Then the system gets back into a crash-y, reboot-y mood. 

I'm at a point where I think it may be hardware problem, but would love any input on how to trouble shoot this mess. Should I roll back the bios? Try a fresh windows install? Does this sound like a hardware issue to you all? Doesn't seem like a malware / virus thing, but maybe? 
    Ugh... The saga continues. Things I've tried so far...

Re-seated all hardware components
    Verified RAM is good with MEMCHECK
    Installed a new SSD... Couldn't even get through a fresh install of Windows without BSOD.

That leaves me with Motherboard, CPU, GPU (seems unlikely to be the GPU I think) or power supply (maybe?).

I'm at the end of my rope with this and took the box into a PC repair service to see if they could identify the problem and... they were able to re-install Windows, but still in rand-o frequent BSOD hell. They said it's either the mobo or CPU. My first thought was to try a new motherboard first since the cost is a bit less. The PC repair company said that both the motherboard and CPU should be replaced as putting a bad CPU in a good motherboard could fry the motherboard and visa versa. Is this true? 

Probably just bad luck or I'm incredibly dumb, but I wish I bought something prefab at this point... Any advice?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CPUs are almost never bad, it's incredibly rare. Motherboards on the other hand most certainly can have issues.
    Generally though I suspect the power supply before the motherboard when weird problems occur like that.
  • phaedarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phaedarus polycounter lvl 10
    PolyHertz said:
    I'd wait for the Ryzen 5950X coming out in 3 weeks and skip the 3950X.
    How is this working out for everyone so far?

I have everything but the CPU, memory (pending on what CPU I get), a main SSD and a couple of fans.

Like everyone else, I can't find an AMD 5950x anywhere. It's doubly worse due to the fact that I live in Canada where stock levels are even lower and because of Covid-19, I can't take advantage of cross border shopping. By time I actually get my hands on one selling at actual MSRP, we'll already be in the 4xxx x series of Nvidia cards.

Given the current situation with supply that is being forecast to last well past 2021, I'm now contemplating on throwing in the towel and selling my two 2080 TIs I've had sitting in storage for more than a year. Maybe my x570  MSI Godlike motherboard too if this goes on long enough.

What a joke.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    We might be getting new AMD APUs later this year which'll hpoefully work for some basic workstations
  • garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garciiia polycounter lvl 3
    Would you buy the following pre-build setup or still wait for the 3080Ti?
    I am in need of a new computer asap and it is only getting worse...

• AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    • G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB
    • Samsung 980 PRO 2TB
    • GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3090 Gaming OC 24G
    •  ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING
    • be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 CM 850W 80 PLUS Gold 
    • Noctua NH-U12S Cooler
    • Fractal Design Define 7 Case
    Pre-Build for 4,900€. And the only way to get a 3090 today.
    I want to work with Blender and Premiere Pro and my current build is not supporting any renderers and it's getting old overall.
    i5 2500K, 16GB RAM, RX 480,...

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Sounds like pre-pandemic pricing to me, I'd bite! I'd configure it with more RAM though - or at least made sure the sticks in there aren't taking up all the slots so upgrades are easy.

Also you'll probably want more storage than just a single drive. At the very least for backups? Ideally system on a small disk, work files on that 2TB drive plus a mirror backup or the like. Anyway that's what I'd do.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with thomasp; other then the RAM amount (which is fine but kind of low given the other parts) it's a good build. go for it.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    I'm contemplating to swap out my monitors (currently a mix of traditional Eizo & curved LG's) for Dell UltraSharp U3818DW's (I want two identical curved displays). Anybody aware of any downsides to this screen? I see its been on the market for quite a while with good reviews but am not sure if Dell are known to revise their screens over the years without changing the model number. Like, stripping out features or using cheaper materials, you know.

Can I assume that this screen as the 2021 model is good to go with quality-wise? Too stingy to afford two curved Eizo's or NEC's of that size, hence me looking at Dell, to me a somewhat unfamiliar brand of which I only ever owned a 24-incher a decade back.

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    thomasp said:
    I'm contemplating to swap out my monitors (currently a mix of traditional Eizo & curved LG's) for Dell UltraSharp U3818DW's (I want two identical curved displays). Anybody aware of any downsides to this screen? I see its been on the market for quite a while with good reviews but am not sure if Dell are known to revise their screens over the years without changing the model number. Like, stripping out features or using cheaper materials, you know.

Can I assume that this screen as the 2021 model is good to go with quality-wise? Too stingy to afford two curved Eizo's or NEC's of that size, hence me looking at Dell, to me a somewhat unfamiliar brand of which I only ever owned a 24-incher a decade back.

Since you're comparing to an Eizo I can assume you're looking for colour accuracy. It's tough to get right at the consumer/prosumer level unfortunately, and you can never be sure just how well something was calibrated leaving the factory. Rtings is your best bet for research like this: Dell U3818DW Review - RTINGS.com They have rated the calibration on this model pretty well, with some tips on calibrating it to improve it also. Your mileage will definitely vary though. Scrolling down their main page it seems that colour accuracy across most models have improved over the years, which is definitely nice for us!

If colour accuracy isn't a huge deal to you, I'd say go for it and make sure to get it swapped/replaced if there's too much backlight bleed. Dell can be a bit scummy when it comes to customer support but their products are usually solid
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Axi5 Since you're comparing to an Eizo I can assume you're looking for colour accuracy.
    Yes, a nice calibration and decent even backlight particularly at that size is important, this is also why I picked that model. After posting I realised that they had just replaced it with the U3821DW which explains the enticing prices I suppose. Since there were no reviews of the new panel I played it safe and ordered the U3818's now. Part of the savings will be invested into a warranty extension to 5 years.

• ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Hello everyone!

I am currently upgrading my system to improve performance. I'm working on a freelance job in Blender involving a lot of very poly dense industrial models converted from CAD files. With most objects in the project, it takes a long time for edit mode to load up, while object mode is running smoothly. I have also had issues with sculpting in Blender and moving in the Quixel Mixer viewport, especially with the Crunch Robot. Try to apply a paint stroke to a paint layer to the Crunch Robot is very laggy. 

I have already upgraded from 16 to 48 GB of RAM with no noticeable difference. My guess is that I need a new graphic card and I don't want to make a mistake and buy something that is overkill or worse ... not strong enough to make any difference. 

My current specs:
    Aorus X570 Elite Motherboard
    V-NAND EVO NVMe.2 1TB SSD
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core 16 thread processor
    MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card

Are the Quadros as good as I hear? Also, I am seeing a lot of inconsistency in prices online. I heard a recommendation of a Quadro 4000 and I'm seeing everything from $50 to $1100 through google shopping. 

Should a new GPU be the help I am looking for? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks!

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Hi @ScottHoneycutt

You probably don't want a Quadro, they're built more for precision critical tasks & most of the cost is a support premium. If you want raw performance the GeForce cards are good enough. If you can, try get an RTX 3000 series card somehow (preferably 3060 or better), but there's a few caveats, see below:

Some details
    Quadro cards. The Quadro 4000 you mention is an old card, they revamp the series every few years, M4000 is Maxwell, P4000 is Pascal, RTX 4000 is their latest. Quadro 4000 goes back a good few years so it's no wonder you found some for cheap.

Your CAD files are likely not going to run very well on any system, outside of their software. Your best bet for this is scene optimisation, hiding and separating parts wherever possible to make your life easier. You can separate your scenes into a master scene and child scenes. Do all your work on the child scenes and link them into the master scene for rendering/scene organisation. I've had to work on CAD models before on an M4000 in Blender and it wasn't a fantastic experience but the problem wasn't really hardware related. Blender 2.8+ hasn't handled dense mesh editing as well as 2.7, but it's being looked at by the developers. 

Regarding Quixel Mixer, just take a look at their hardware requirements: http://docs.quixel.com/mixer/1/en/topic/hardware-requirements You could use a slight upgrade in the GPU department., but that said your 1660 Ti should be more than capable for the most part. This is going to sound a bit bizarre, but you haven't plugged your HDMI into your Motherboard and not your graphics card have you? This is actually incredibly common and leads people to believe their hardware isn't up to scratch when it turns out they weren't even using it! Secondly, how strong is your power supply? If you're running on a bad PSU there's every possibility your hardware isn't getting the juice.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    @Axi5

Thanks! Sorry for just now seeing your comment today :)

Regarding my work, actually ... separating the parts out and assigning materials was the very job itself. There's a massive amount of it across several files. In Blender, my viewport performance is perfect ... as long as you aren't in edit mode inside anything. Moving things in other scenes, collections, or being hidden or not ... it is all running smoothly either way. However, the second you go into edit mode on anything with more than .5 mil vertices ... it takes 4-6 seconds to do anything. 

In my tests, you are right, it's definitely a Blender issue. In Maya with the same scene, everything was faster. It takes 18 seconds to delete something in Blender and 5 seconds to delete something in Maya in the same file. It took 5 seconds to select a sub-object component in Blender and 1 second to do the same in Maya. I'm beginning to see why large production studios spend the money on Maya licenses over Blender. Next time I'm just going to use 3ds Max or Maya.

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    @ScottHoneycutt
    You could use Blender 2.7x for this for the time being, it should be faster than Max or Maya for most tasks. The blender devs are working on improving the speed of Edit mode again so hopefully there will be some experimental releases with speed ups soon.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    *** snipped after reading recommendations for hardware from unreal docs. 

I am looking to upgrade somewhat dated computer to work faster with open world and lots of procedural foliage games in unreal/unity. 

Looks like I need a lot more RAM and faster CPU - GPU is actually fine which is good because they are still really expensive right now.

Right now i have 16gb of RAM, but epic is saying typical machines they use have 64gb. 

I answered my questions mostly by reading the manual like a really smart person would do before asking a question, but if anybody has a recommended build for making large open world game in unreal and speeding up shader compile time I'd love to here you recommendations.

• jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    jStins said:
    jStins said:
    Back in January I built this machine: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XCGs8M 

Everything ran well for the most part, but I would occasionally get a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT BSOD. I then updated the BIOS as a potential fix and it seemed to work. The system was very very stable for several months. 

Now however the system has become very unstable with random crashes, sometimes with various BSOD stop codes (stop codes don't repro reliably), other times just a hard reboot with no warning. I can often 'clean boot' (stopping all non-windows services and startup apps) after a crash, but turning any services back on seems to randomly reintroduce system instability. (Thought I had it pinned down to some Razer services, but after a period of stability, things got crash-y again).

The weird thing is I can, at times, use the system for hours with no problems (running apps like Maya and Substance Designer or playing games on high quality settings). Then the system gets back into a crash-y, reboot-y mood. 

I'm at a point where I think it may be hardware problem, but would love any input on how to trouble shoot this mess. Should I roll back the bios? Try a fresh windows install? Does this sound like a hardware issue to you all? Doesn't seem like a malware / virus thing, but maybe? 
    Ugh... The saga continues. Things I've tried so far...

Re-seated all hardware components
    Verified RAM is good with MEMCHECK
    Installed a new SSD... Couldn't even get through a fresh install of Windows without BSOD.

That leaves me with Motherboard, CPU, GPU (seems unlikely to be the GPU I think) or power supply (maybe?).

I'm at the end of my rope with this and took the box into a PC repair service to see if they could identify the problem and... they were able to re-install Windows, but still in rand-o frequent BSOD hell. They said it's either the mobo or CPU. My first thought was to try a new motherboard first since the cost is a bit less. The PC repair company said that both the motherboard and CPU should be replaced as putting a bad CPU in a good motherboard could fry the motherboard and visa versa. Is this true? 

Probably just bad luck or I'm incredibly dumb, but I wish I bought something prefab at this point... Any advice?
    Well I swapped the mobo and did a fresh Windows install. Still experiencing instability, mainly when idle. (I'm able to run Prime95 with no errors). Down to PSU or CPU at this point I guess. Thinking about getting a cheap AM4 CPU to drop in, but I suppose a second PSU will be the cheaper thing to test first. oof.

Any reason to think default Bios settings could cause this type of instability? I may tinker with that based on some info I'm seeing online before testing more components. 
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    We're getting some new laptops at work (finally) for a mobile project (not super demanding). They are coming in with Quadro P4000. When I commented "not as powerful as the gtx 1070 my home laptop has, but still a good upgrade", I was told "well the quadros are tuned to art workstation tasks like maya/max. Is your 1070 powerful with art benchmarks too?".

This reply confused me. My initial response would be to say "yes, of course. Specs are specs and the more beefy they are, the better they'll do in 3D apps", but is that correct? Or is there any truth in what I was told, that the Quadros are actually better at some things? Judging by websites that compare this stuff (https://versus.com/en/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-vs-nvidia-quadro-p4000) , I'd say...no?
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Justo said:
    We're getting some new laptops at work (finally) for a mobile project (not super demanding). They are coming in with Quadro P4000. When I commented "not as powerful as the gtx 1070 my home laptop has, but still a good upgrade", I was told "well the quadros are tuned to art workstation tasks like maya/max. Is your 1070 powerful with art benchmarks too?".

This reply confused me. My initial response would be to say "yes, of course. Specs are specs and the more beefy they are, the better they'll do in 3D apps", but is that correct? Or is there any truth in what I was told, that the Quadros are actually better at some things? Judging by websites that compare this stuff (https://versus.com/en/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-vs-nvidia-quadro-p4000) , I'd say...no?
    Yeah the P4000 is a bit worse than the 1070 in terms of raw performance. There are a few differences between Quadro and GeForce cards, the Quadros have more DMAs (this usually results in faster CPU=>GPU IO, which is actually a major bottleneck so you may see good results in loading time i.e. initialising renders, but your mileage may vary depending on the app), they have ECC and in some cases more VRAM, the GeForce cards are usually just paired back of those features and clocked faster. Quadro cards also support different workstation profiles in the Nvidia Control Panel which may run more stable than a GeForce card for you if they've optimised for it. The typical advice is that if you're not doing accurate work like CAD, Engineering, or data science etc. then the main reason you're buying a Quadro is for support and peace of mind, but as mentioned above you may see good use of the DMAs and extra VRAM.

If your company are getting them for you then they're probably doing it under suggestion from their supplier, and it's not a bad idea to get a Quadro in this case because if anything goes wrong they can't say "We only do support on Quadro workstations" despite your company paying them a support contract... it's a weird ol' world when it comes to businesses and hardware.

I wouldn't rely on those versus sites so much, they're good for a basic spec. run down but as with everything, reality is more complicated.

Try for a Quadro RTX4000 though ;)
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Guys, what are your thoughts on a 6800 / 6800 XT for 3d work? It just looks like a great value, half the price of a 3090, great amount of VRAM (bigger than similarly priced cards). My only concern is performance and driver support in DCC like 3dsmax, Maya, Painter or UE. I don't really use raytracing or do any rendering. Baking is fine even on my 1060, but, VRAM fills to fast and running 3dsmax in a 4K screen is kinda slow. Thoughts?
  • garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got the money to buy my new machine, but i am nervous to spend everything without asking at least once if that is still the current best deal for my bucks. i have no idea about cases and mainboards, and i am not sure if 750W is really enough. maybe you could take a look and tell me that i can go with that and finally be able to work :)

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/4ebf68221cd16b2da85e911735b7fd0b8f64de999c4d207301f

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    garciiia said:
    I finally got the money to buy my new machine, but i am nervous to spend everything without asking at least once if that is still the current best deal for my bucks. i have no idea about cases and mainboards, and i am not sure if 750W is really enough. maybe you could take a look and tell me that i can go with that and finally be able to work :)

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/4ebf68221cd16b2da85e911735b7fd0b8f64de999c4d207301f

Don't know why, but am i the only one thinking that the 3090 is to overpriced? 2099?? that is totally bullshit. Sorry, to say this, but it's a robbery as of now. I was one of the fortunate that got the RX 6800 for the MSRP. I'm happy with it, but the GPU prices are killing it.
  • garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    other rtx 3090 in germany start at 2249. my current system has a rx 480, and i am waiting since june 2020 for a build to work. rtx 3080 ti is 1700 and rtx 3080 is not available.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Justo said:

It is  probably simply about the company buying certain business-class or workstation-type laptops which tend to be configured with these Quadro GPUs. Workstation GPUs are a scam IMO. But I tend to like the business laptops way more than the RGB-illuminated kind.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    garciiia said:

I would look into getting another SSD at least so you don't have OS and your projects on the same drive. Other than that seems like a nice configuration if a little low on memory and storage. Perhaps it would be worth doubling all that and if that's not possible due to budget: going for a smaller GPU model instead. Depends on what you need it to do of course.

• garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to put my current SSDs into the build`- they told me it's fine to open the case. But 750W is enough and the Mainboard will work?
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    garciiia said:
    other rtx 3090 in germany start at 2249. my current system has a rx 480, and i am waiting since june 2020 for a build to work. rtx 3080 ti is 1700 and rtx 3080 is not available.

Yeah, I live in Germany too, The MSRP prices according to the law are illegal to push that high. But I guess if everyone is doing it. It's fine? :D
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    garciiia said:
    I wanted to put my current SSDs into the build`- they told me it's fine to open the case. But 750W is enough and the Mainboard will work?
    Assuming it comes with a zen3 ready bios on it the motherboard is fine provided you're not planning on running multiple GPUs in future - it looks like you're having the system built for you so shouldn't be any problems there

750w is borderline for a 5950x + 3090  IMO - I don't think I'd be comfortable with less than 850 if I was going to run the machine all day, every day - I've experienced a number of PSU failures over the years and as a result tend to aggressively over-spec when building my own systems (i have 1kw in my 5950x/3080 box). 

If you've got SSDs from an old system perhaps trade out the two disks in that list for a 1-2Tb m.2 drive?  the speed increase is definitely noticeable.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    poopipe said:
    garciiia said:
    Assuming it comes with a zen3 ready bios on it the motherboard is fine provided you're not planning on running multiple GPUs in future - it looks like you're having the system built for you so shouldn't be any problems there

750w is borderline for a 5950x + 3090  IMO - I don't think I'd be comfortable with less than 850 if I was going to run the machine all day, every day - I've experienced a number of PSU failures over the years and as a result tend to aggressively over-spec when building my own systems (i have 1kw in my 5950x/3080 box). 

If you've got SSDs from an old system perhaps trade out the two disks in that list for a 1-2Tb m.2 drive?  the speed increase is definitely noticeable.
    I forgot how thirsty those 3xxx series cards are, damn! My 1080Ti never exceeds 250w. Used to be that a 750w PSU was overkill for most single GPU builds but not with a 3090...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The official power draw for a 3090 is 350w - that plus the official 105w for the CPU  should in theory be completely fine with 750w
    but...
    since a 3090 will spike well past 400w (some claim it'll go over 500) and the cpu can draw up to 145w through that socket the headroom under serious load is a lot smaller than the official numbers suggest.

Conventional wisdom has it that a PSU lasts longest and is most efficient if you run it around the middle of its capabilities rather than ragging the life out of it  - given that you're unlikely to be maxing everything out all the time It's not necessary to run a 1200w PSU but I'd err on the side of caution given the difference between a 750 and and 850 or even 1000 in price is fairly small 

• garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx said:
    Yeah, I live in Germany too, The MSRP prices according to the law are illegal to push that high. But I guess if everyone is doing it. It's fine? :D
    It's absolutely not fine. But all attempts to study 3D art failed and my current setup can barely handle the Donut Tutorials - and i won't wait any longer.. And tbh i am fine with the price as long as it works. 3k wasn't, but 2k.. it's ok when i close both eyes and think about something else.

About the Drives again: I just found out that my current Drives are pretty small and it's not worth it to recycle them.
    How do you split your drives? 
    I always had 1 SSD, 2HDDs.
    SSD 250GB is only for OS.
    HDD #1 was for User Files (Downloads, Music,..)
    HDD #2 was split into V:/ Files for Work, W:/ for Programs, X:/ for Games 

Would you suggest 
    1 TB m.2 Drive split into C:/ for OS and D for User Files
    2 TB SSD split into V:/ Files for Work, W:/ Programs
    I can always upgrade with additional SSDs if those TBs are full.

RAM seems to be very pricy when it's with a low CL and 4,2k for everything is my absolute maximum :(  Maybe should go with Ryzen 9 5900X and RTX 3080 Ti?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    poopipe said:
    The official power draw for a 3090 is 350w - that plus the official 105w for the CPU  should in theory be completely fine with 750w
    but...
    since a 3090 will spike well past 400w (some claim it'll go over 500) and the cpu can draw up to 145w through that socket the headroom under serious load is a lot smaller than the official numbers suggest.

Conventional wisdom has it that a PSU lasts longest and is most efficient if you run it around the middle of its capabilities rather than ragging the life out of it  - given that you're unlikely to be maxing everything out all the time It's not necessary to run a 1200w PSU but I'd err on the side of caution given the difference between a 750 and and 850 or even 1000 in price is fairly small 

Undervolting your GPU is always an option, you can significantly reduce the power draw while barely impacting performance. GPUs are tuned on the desktop to get as much performance as possible regardless of power consumption. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqpfYTi43TE
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garciiia said:

RAM seems to be very pricy when it's with a low CL and 4,2k for everything is my absolute maximum :(  Maybe should go with Ryzen 9 5900X and RTX 3080 Ti?

It's unlikely you'll miss the extra CPU threads unless you're building code, rendering on the CPU or doing something un-artisty - its a big saving over the 5950x for very little performance loss and certainly much better value for money.
    a 3080Ti is a 3090 with bits chopped off - it's what I would have bought if they existed when I got my 3080. 

disk wise - 1TB should be enough to handle your OS and installed apps for a couple of years  ( provided you don't keep games on it).  I don't see any benefit in partitiioning such a disk 

I have a 2 TB m.2 and a fast 4TB mechanical disk in mine. stuff I'm working on or with lives on the m.2, I keep secondary resources, games etc.  on the mechanical disk and my bulk storage is a couple of NAS boxes that hide in a corner.  I should really get a sata SSD in place of the mechanical disk but I'm not that fussed waiting a bit for loading

if you're worried about RAM cost question whether you'll make use of 64gb. the only times I ever really extend past 32gb are if I'm taking the piss with houdini or processing really big datasets (think 40-50,000 pixel 32bit images) - it depends what you're doing though
    You pay a premium for 16gb sticks - especially if you want tight timings on the faster stuff. 
  • garciiia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everybody i asked was mentioning the "low" amount of RAM.. but i also thought that 4000MHz 64GB CL16 RAM should be totally fine and fast af.. And a few say that the 3090 is the go to GPU bc of the VRAM, but you need the 5950 to fill those.. the more i read, the more i get confused.

And you don't have to split the SSDs to improve the speed anymore? Hell.. the last time i build a PC was 10 years ago :cold_sweat:
    I always thought it is a good idea to keep the programs away from the OS, so the system doesn't have to search through everything when it trys to talk with those files.. but that mindset is outdated? :D

I want to work with Blender and DaVinci. I cut music videos but want to make some visuals by myself with Blender. I learned animation the oldschool paper-way at an art academy and worked with TVPaint, but want to finally switch to 3D. 4k-4.2k is my budget.

Btw: What was the point to put 12 GB of VRAM on the 3080Ti and not 16?..
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's 12gb on the 3080ti because of the width of the memory bus - 16gb wouldn't work, 24 would etc.
    Same reason there's 10 on the 3080

Partitioning a disk for access speed purposes is not something I've ever heard about - and I go back to when 20mb was considered a big hard disk. 
    Even if there's some vague reason, SSDs and especially m.2 disks are so fast I refuse to believe you'd notice 

There's not much point using 4000mhz memory on a 5000 series Ryzen.  You have to get seriously involved in memory fiddling to use it - and that's if it's even possible with your specific combo of motherboard, CPU and memory. 3600mhz will run at full speed by ticking a box in your bios. 

There's no correlation  between your CPU and how much memory you can use or performance you can get out of a GPU.
    It's true that when gaming or doing other realtime work you will find either that the GPU is waiting for submission from the CPU or the CPU is ahead of the GPU. 
    This isn't bad, it just means one of the two isn't working at full capacity and it's only an issue because you're trying to draw a picture 60+ times a second.
    A pure GPU task will run at 100% capacity if it needs to. 

If you know you need 24gb of GPU memory - to acommodate huge datasets for machine learning, for GPU accelerated offline rendering etc. Then a 3090 will benefit you. 
    The same applies for the 5950 -  if you know you're going to spend a lot of time building code or running heavily threaded applications for extended periods of time you will see a benefit over the 5900

In both cases you are paying a large premium over the next model down for a very small performance increase 
    3090 is 2* the price of a 3080 for maybe 15% better performance, a 5950 is no faster than a 5900 until you run out of threads and costs close to double . 

I'm not going to say you shouldn't get the fancy stuff but I think my priorities would be geared towards fast storage and ram if I were editing a lot of video.