Upgrading or building a new PC? This is the thread for you!

Replies

• Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
     @PolyHertz oops,i guess my eyes glanced over the pc part picker sections. my bad
  • Triptychist
    Offline / Send Message
    Triptychist polycounter lvl 6
    The Intel W-2195 does not support dual socket. 1S in the specs. 
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @Triptychist

Shit, you're right. Thanks for catching that!
  • nayrulhulha
    First of all, congradulations for the post PolyHertz, it is helping me a lot.

For working with a high poly scene, the single core performance is more important than more ram? Would the ryzen 1700 be a bad investiment for this kind of workflow? Since the ryzen 1700 is almost half the price of the 8700k here where I live.

I use zbrush, 3ds max, photoshop. I care about rendering time, but I care more about the modeling performance, be able to model a scene with a lot of detail. First I was considering the i7 8700k, but seeing the 1700 for almost half of the price makes me think in the possibility of saving money.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @nayrulhulhaThe 8700K is a great CPU, but I wouldn't pay double what a 1700 costs for it.
    As for RAM, without knowing exactly what kind of work you intend to do, and your workflow, I can't say how important it will be. But, in general, I say 32GB of RAM is the ideal amount in terms of cost / performance benefits.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek greentooth
    Speaking of ram, keep in mind it's crazy expensive these days and probably will be for some time yet - it might be worth looking at buying used ram if there's a reputable 2nd hand market in your country. (ie somewhere that supports returns if you run a memtest and find problems)
  • nayrulhulha
    Thanks for the help! I will check that out. I will wait a little to see if the 8700k and ram prices drops, otherwise, the 1700 is the way to go.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks to all the help you guys gave me in this thread, I finally purchased my new machine last week. So far I love it...thank you! :)

What's a smart way to manage your windows 10 drivers? If I could, I would tell windows to never ever download and update shit, but I don't know if that's good, and I don't want my machine to be constantly downloading stuff I don't know anything of behind my back(Like that Windows Modules Installer Worker process always making your CPU work). What do y'all do about it? Let it be, or freeze it?
  • throttlekitty
    Offline / Send Message
    throttlekitty Polycount Sponsor
    @Justo It's really up to you. Personally I like having control over my system, and don't tend to update drivers unless there's a need to or there's a new feature or security fix. The way updates are handled on 10 is the biggest reason I haven't switched from 7 yet
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek greentooth
    You can disable win10 updates in the group policy editor. I'm not sure if that includes third party driver updates; I wasn't aware that was a thing.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter lvl 4
    Thank you for chiming in your thoughts...I think I'll be doing what Bek said...I also read about using restore points, which is what they do here in the office. So right now I'm debating whether to make the updates weekly, time in which the pc would store a backup of its previous drivers to which I could go back to if anything screws up. The problem is...that some of these driver problems don't show up until much later than a week.

I'm looking right now into some sort of method of validation before downloading, perhaps...Something that could evaluate the latest drivers and decide, based on some kind of feedback system, whether they're worth the update or are still too experimental. 
  • jaysonmtl
    Offline / Send Message
    jaysonmtl polycounter lvl 4
    @PolyHertz Hey its me again :) I would love your advice, right now the Ryzen 1800x is about the same price as the 8700k, I think I should jump on the occasion, which one would you recommend me to get ? Im on a tight budget at the moment, here are 2 builds I did based on your recommended builds from the 1st page:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/jasonkibbe/saved/DM9BP6

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/jasonkibbe/saved/CTQgLk

thanks a bunch 

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @jaysonmtl The 8700k is the better CPU, so if you can afford it (what with the more expensive motherboards) I'd go for that.
  • jaysonmtl
    Offline / Send Message
    jaysonmtl polycounter lvl 4
    @PolyHertz I went for the 8700k ;) cant wait to build it thanks for all the help ;)
  • Boyani
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyani vertex
    Okey people. This is my first time i'm going to buy my own pieces of components, and build my own PC

I would like to spend 2500-3000 euros. For using, Maya,Zbrush, UE4, S.Painter, Mari, Photoshop. I need some very powerful PC, that will last next 10 years or so.
  • demigodssw
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @Boyani check the "suggested desktop PC setups" in the first post.

However, it's a bit tricky to make a suggestion atm due to this recent development. Intel CPUs have better per-thread performance compared to AMDs, but what with the security issue and the performance hit Intel CPUs are taking from the fix, it might be worth going with an AMD CPU instead.
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 greentooth
    PolyHertz said:
    @Boyani check the "suggested desktop PC setups" in the first post.

However, it's a bit tricky to make a suggestion atm due to this recent development. Intel CPUs have better per-thread performance compared to AMDs, but what with the security issue and the performance hit Intel CPUs are taking from the fix, it might be worth going with an AMD CPU instead.
    Worth waiting a couple of months for Ryzen 2 too
  • Nathair23
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathair23 triangle
    Hi guys, I'm probably upgrading to a new laptop soon, as mine is 6 years old and is definitely not suitable to 3d art anymore. I was thinking about buying this one: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GV62-7RE
    What do you think about it? Do you have better alternatives for about 1500 euros or less?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD interpolator
    Nathair23 said:
    Hi guys, I'm probably upgrading to a new laptop soon, as mine is 6 years old and is definitely not suitable to 3d art anymore. I was thinking about buying this one: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GV62-7RE
    What do you think about it? Do you have better alternatives for about 1500 euros or less?

- i7 processor - Make sure it's the 4 core version, some laptop i7s are 2 cores.
    + GTX 1050 Ti - great
    + M.2 SSD - great, especially if it's easily user accessible. Gives you a lot of options, you could buy a laptop with a large HDD and a smaller M.2 SSD for the OS and applications. You could upgrade later to save money now, or go for a SSD and a M.2 SSD and have fast storage everywhere. Just be aware of the M.2 + storage setup you're buying and the desired setup.
    + Upgrade-able ram - Always extremely nice for a laptop, it's not always an option. Often with laptops you may have to buy one with more RAM than you need today, in order to "future proof". 
    + IPS panel - get the version with the IPS display panel. 

Acer, Asus, and MSI are going to be the main budget oriented gaming laptop brands, they should have a comparable model in the same price range. Dell, Gigabyte, Lenovo, Razer, Alienware, etc, might have their own options but they generally target budget gaming laptops less.

• Nathair23
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathair23 triangle
    @ZacD thanks! Actually right now I'm thinking about buying the GE63 RAIDER, it costs more but has Nvidia geforce 1060, that seems a bit better, and it is 6 gb. But for now I'm still considering both. Thank you for your help!
  • pkgamedev
    Hi!

First of all, thanks a lot for this thread! Been a great help ...

@PolyHertz
    I'm planning to build a PC from scratch for game development (UE4, Substance, Blender or Modo, Zbrush). Which CPU would you recommend between R7 1700x and 8700k? Assuming I'm willing to pay the price difference?

I've been reading up a lot on this but can't come to a satisfying conclusion. I'll be pairing this with a GTX 1080 (already purchased).

Thanks!!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD interpolator
    For lightmass baking, the 8700k will be ~30-40% faster than the 1700x

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Unreal-Engine-4-16-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-Kaby-Lake-X-Broadwell-E-Skylake-Ryzen-7-984/

The most comparable CPU to the 8700k is the 6850k (the 8700k is ~15% faster) 
  • pkgamedev
    ZacD said:
    For lightmass baking, the 8700k will be ~30-40% faster than the 1700x

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Unreal-Engine-4-16-CPU-Comparison-Skylake-X-Kaby-Lake-X-Broadwell-E-Skylake-Ryzen-7-984/

The most comparable CPU to the 8700k is the 6850k (the 8700k is ~15% faster) 
    @ZacD
    Thanks for the link! What do you think about the 1700X having more cores? That will have a clear advantage in programs using multiple cores right? I'm sorry but how can I figure out which of the popular 3D programs can use multiple cores? And the systems within UE4 that use multiple cores?

Another thing is, I remember reading on the UE4 forums that the pugetsystems comparison is not accurate - the 1700X is faster than what they've shown here. On the other hand, I've also read that UE4 specifically draws out better performance from Intel CPUs especially for lightmass.

Sorry for the wall of text. Are there any criteria I'm missing on while picking a CPU?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD interpolator
    Both CPUs are good options and priced well, so there isn't a bad choice.

Personally I'd go with a 6 core Intel processor. Most applications aren't fully multithreaded so you do want high single core perform as well as multicore performance. In general my option is if 2 processors score similarly in bench marks for multithreaded tests, but have different core counts, get the one with less cores.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3098&cmp[]=2969
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @pkgamedev I agree with ZacD on this one; Given the choice, I'd go with an 8700K. The extra cores aren't as important in this case as the difference in per-thread performance.

If you really want to go with an AMD CPU, I'd skip the 1700X and wait for the Zen+ line that'll be coming out in April.
  • Jynxia
    Offline / Send Message
    Jynxia polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys,
    Thank you for all the help on this thread so far! Its the first time I've bought a PC and this has made it much less daunting. My current PC is roughly 8 years old and falling apart so I've been putting this off awhile.
    I have been on the Overclockers UK site and chosen the X99 EATX Graphics Workstation and I've made a few changes. My goal is to make a professional PC which is capable of rendering and modelling large meshes (zBrush, 3DS Max, Marmoset, Substance Painter) and comfortable with painting/editing enormous PSDs (10k x10k resolution). Would be fantastic if it is also somewhat future proof enough to reach roughly decade old!

This is what I've selected so far: 

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-tech-labs-x99-eatx-graphics-workstation-pc-configurator-fs-010-tl.html#p=qQo1)_$qQp/98qQq/9'qQCuU6qQM/*7AslV'zIsj1*4'IRS1).(JhL1(88Leg1!z6TaB1U/yTaC1UuxTPm1#w;bbnJ24).bbnK24)VbbsQ24-VbicN2$(7bicO2$(ubjkH2_~v

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-1650v4 3.60GHz 6-Core with Hyperthreading (Socket 2011-3) - Retail
    Memory: Kingston Fury Black 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C15 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit
    CPU Cooler: Alpenföhn Alpenfohn Atlas - 200W TDP Premium Twin Heatsink CPU Cooler
    M.2 SSD for OS: Samsung 960 EVO Polaris 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
    Mechanical HD: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD
    GPU: PNY Nvidia Quadro M4000 Graphics Card - 8GB GDDR5 - 1664 CUDA Core
    Power Supply:  Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1600W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply - Black
    Wifi Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter

What do you guys think? Is this too excessive for what I need? Is there something I may have overlooked (not enough memory)? Or perhaps is there a way you can see to get the cost down without compromising the performance power too heavily?

Any help greatly appreciated, 
    Jo 
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @Jynxia Did you read the first post in this thread, specifically the "what to know" sections for each component type or "suggested Desktop PC setups"? Other then the SSD, almost everything on the build you posted is a poor choice.
  • Jynxia
    Offline / Send Message
    Jynxia polycounter lvl 3
    @PolyHertz Ah thank you for getting back to me! I did read the components section and the notes for each part. I think I went wrong trying to figure out if the Overclocker UK's workstation had components of equivalent strength but also not knowing very much about PCs :/ 

This time I'll use the suggested components in the top thread, but my current problem is that I'm trying to find someplace that will build the PC for me as I'm dead scared of ruining it myself.

Edit: If it comes down to it, I'll buy an anti static bracelet and do it myself, but I'm just figuring out if I can avoid that!

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    Ok then. Here's a few quick notes to help:

CPU: The X99 platform that you chose has been succeeded by the X299 platform, so no new chips are being released for it. If you want to go with a workstation class socket such as the X299 get a CPU with at least 8 cores (like a i7-7820X), otherwise the 8700K will be cheaper and faster then what you picked.

GPU: Workstation class video cards, such as the Quadro lineup, are only really necessary for very specific types of work, and based on the programs you said you'll be using, are a huge waste of money. Instead you should be looking at a Geforce 1070, 1080, 1080Ti, or Titan XP.

RAM: 16GB is considered the minimum for a modern PC meant for creating 3D art. Since you said you want this PC to last a long time, you should double that to 32GB.

SSD/HHD: The ones you picked are fine, but you'll probably want twice that much storage (500GB SSD and 2TB HDD).

Power supply: You don't need 1600W, that's insane. Even half of that (800W) would be more then you need.
  • Jynxia
    Offline / Send Message
    Jynxia polycounter lvl 3
    @PolyHertz Hey again, thanks for the notes they were super helpful! 
    I've put together a PC using Scan.co.uk's custom PC builder. I started with the "Intel Socket 2066 Skylake X High performance PC" as the base and followed your guide much more carefully.

Here's what I have so far:

- CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Unlocked, Skylake X, 8 Core plus HyperThreading, 3.6GHz, 4.3GHz Turbo, Quad Channel DDR4, 28 PCI-E lanes
    - GPU:  8GB EVGA GTX 1080 SC, 1708MHz GPU, 2560 Cores, 10000MHz GDDR5X - GeForce GTX VR Ready
    - SSD: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, up to 3200MB/s Read, 1800MB/s Write, 330K IOPS
    - HDD:  2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache
    - MOBO: Asus PRIME X299-Deluxe - WiFi and Thunderbolt 3
    - CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H80i cooler with two SP120L fans
    - Tower: Fractal Design Meshify C
    - Power: Corsair TX550M, Semi Modular, 80PLUS Gold - Single GPU (550W)
    - RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz

^ Used the suggested CPU & GPU (Quadro was pushed on me as a must-have for professionals by a few sites and the customer helpline for overclockers- I was lead astray!) , More RAM with two free slots for potential upgrades, more space on SSD, 

Few things I'm concerned about:

The motherboard - I couldn't find one on the list so I chose what I thought was the best equivalent. Does this look right to you? The other options were;  ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2 (and MARK1), ASUS PRIME X299-A, ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING, ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX, ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME, and Asus WS X299 PRO. 

The GPU - I've chosen the 1080 - do you think it's worth the extra cash to get the 1080 ti? There's comparisons online with for gaming but not modelling/art so it's difficult to tell if the upgrade would effect me.

Power supply - is the quality too low? I've been worried about this since a friend's powersupply blew and damaged some of his components. 

Thanks again, 
    Jo 

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    Build looks much better!

Do you happen have a specific budget in mind for this build? It's harder to recommend parts without knowing that. For your questions though; The motherboard is fine, the power supply is OK but 750W would probably be the sweet spot given your new parts list, and the 1080 Ti can help performance quite a bit in VRAM heavy tasks such as working with a lot of layers on 4K textures in Substance Painter.
  • Jynxia
    Offline / Send Message
    Jynxia polycounter lvl 3
    Sweet! :D I'll swap the GPU and power supply.
    Currently this build is $3700 -  I'd like to keep the budget below that but I'm finding it tough to decide which components can be swapped out or prioritised price wise. I initially planned to only spend roughly $2000-2500, but I've also been scared of buying a PC which isn't capable enough or I'd have to upgrade sooner than I'd like so I've gone for more pricey options (without really knowing if they're the best fit!)  What'd you suggest to get the price down?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    Yea price wise this is a really bad time to build a PC since GPU and RAM prices have roughly doubled over the past year, and it's hard to say when prices will return to normal. For instance, the 1080 Ti has an MSRP of $700, but right now its normally being sold for $1200+ due to really high demand and low inventory.

Anyhow, here's a few changes you could do to bring the price down: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QHXc6X

Switching to an 8700K CPU would result in you losing about 30% of your multi-threaded performance compared to the 7820X, but you'd actually see an increase of about 15-20% performance in single-threaded tasks and save about $500. If you can find the 1080 Ti being sold for its MSRP that'd also knock off another $500+ , but probably wouldn't be very easy.
  • Jynxia
    Offline / Send Message
    Jynxia polycounter lvl 3
    I've placed the order now! Thanks for all your help - I'm really glad I didn't buy that first build I posted! I can now see why it was pretty awful. 

I went for the 1080 Ti in the end, even if it's more pricey, in the hope that by the time I need to upgrade this inflation period would have blown over :smiley:

I've learnt quite a bit about PCs in the last week or two, including the fact that it's another $1000 to get someone to build it for you than handling it yourself  :'( I'm planning to do any upgrades myself until I'm confident enough handling parts to build my next one.

Thanks again!
    Jo 
  • bigdeku
    Hey. I made a thread in the general. Didn't realise that this sticky was active for questions. So I'll repost here:

I'm going to be on the move a lot over the next year and am looking to buy a laptop that allows me to continue my digital art work. I'm considering getting a Dell Inspiron. I'm a student so I'm going to be doing a bit of everything: digital painting, character modelling in maya, character animation in maya, zbrush sculpting, substance painter texturing, some motion graphics work in MASH and AE, some editing in PremierePro, and some light game deving in unity.

The specs are: Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 256GD SSD + 1TB HDD, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6GB, 16GB RAM [max ram], 3.8GHz.

The only thing that worries me is that it doesn't have a 4K IPS screen (just a regular 1920x1080 display). There is another prebuilt Inspiron that has a 4K IPS screen but a GTX 1050Ti instead of the 1060, which I understand is a substantially weaker card, so I'd have to exchange one for the other.

Do these specs sound performative enough for character modelling/animation and game dev work? If not, are there any prebuilt laptops that have the polycount stamp of approval at the moment?
  • throttlekitty
    Offline / Send Message
    throttlekitty Polycount Sponsor
    @bigdeku I don't actually know much about laptops, but those are good specs. I know the 7700 desktop chip is one of the good ones at least. What I usually do before a purchase is to get a feel for what's wrong with it, doing searches like [product name] [sucks/broken after/overheats/crashes/etc]. Take everything you come across with a grain of salt, people will complain, overblow or just be stupid about problems. But if you see something disproportionately high, like a 500 page thread with a bajillion views on an oddball topic, it might be worth looking in to.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    Yea the specs are fine. 1080p will be ok, though having an IPS screen is certainly important if you care about color accuracy.
  • bigdeku
    @throttlekitty ; and @PolyHertz

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that out, at least I have the peace of mind of what to look for now! Greatly appreciated! :)
  • Knichtus
    Hello! Been stalking polycount for a bit but decided to make an account specifically for this thread! I've been building a pc primarily for 3D Modeling, Animation and Texturing, right now I'm a student and about to graduate.. I typically work in 3DsMax, Maya, Mudbox Photoshop and Unreal though planning to work in Zbrush and pick up Substance Painter in the future. I have almost all the parts the last thing I need being a GPU. I was wanting to make an all AMD system, though with how short on stock Vega is I am teetering between Vega Frontier, Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 56 (or 64) if I can find it or from team green 1080 or 1080ti. Is there a significant performance difference between the vega cards vs Nvidia in certain applications? Not necessarily aiming for best of the best, but best bang for my buck or what I can grab. I am liquid cooling this PC down the line so for the vega cards I'm not really that worried about heat issues since I am going to undervolt and overclock anyway. Still would love to keep this mainly AMD for the theme but if team green provides significant gains in comparison then I'll go that way instead. I do game but I'd really only care about being about to play some of the more recent titles in 1440p 60 fps since I love observing the texture work. Oh and budget wise, I don't want to have to pay $1000 for a graphics card or more but if I must then I don't mind saving up towards that, I've been buying piece by piece since summer of last year. This is my build so far: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
    Type Item Price
    CPU AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor Purchased For $684.99
    Motherboard Asus - ROG ZENITH EXTREME EATX TR4 Motherboard Purchased For $476.96
    Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory Purchased For $359.99
    Storage Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For $279.99
    Storage Seagate - IronWolf Pro 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $254.48
    Video Card Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB NITRO+ Video Card
    Case Corsair - Air 740 ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $129.99
    Power Supply SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 1000W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $224.90
    Other Massdrop Vast 35-Inch Curved Gaming Monitor Purchased For $549.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total $2961.29
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-07 01:54 EST-0500
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD interpolator
    The biggest perks of Nvidia for game art is support for Cuda, Iray, VXGI, and GameWorks. If you want to use any of these features, or might experiment with Iray in Substance Painter or VXGI in UE4, they are Nvidia exclusive*. 

Back in the day AMD did seem to have a higher number of bugs, mostly viewport related, in 3d packages. I roughly estimated it to be at least 5x more common based off reports of forums, but over the last 5 years, it seems to be a non-issue. 

Also "Next generation of Nvidia GPUs (Ampere/Volta) are rumored to be released on April 12 2018." Might not be the best time to buy a new GPU. 

*There is CPU based Iray, but it's very slow. 
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 greentooth
    If I could have found an AMD RX 580 in stock I would have grabbed it. I was very happy with my AMD GPU and they get a lot of flack for the wrong reasons these days. Got a 1080Ti instead and I love it but feel a little dead inside that I didn't put my money where my mouth is.

If you're aiming for a mid-range enthusiast build (which is more than capable enough for most tasks) and don't live in a place where energy bills take almost half your income I'd recommend an AMD.
  • Knichtus
    @ZacD Thankyou! Guess it's team green then, maybe just wait for Ampere/Volta to be released.
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 greentooth
    FWIW, AMD can run iRay as well as it's not an Nvidia specific renderer, same with VXGI (CryEngine has had a voxel based GI solution since forever so it's not all Nvidia).

CUDA is your main missing one but even then OpenCL is starting to garner more traction now that software developers look to get out of vendor lock.

GameWorks stuff can often always be replaced with competing technologies in GPU Open though FLEX is nice!
  • Knichtus
    @Axi5 Thankyou for the additional info, I'll probably do a bit more additional research on that and see where it gets me (vega FE is still calling my name if I can get it used or on sale).
  • polypunx
    Offline / Send Message
    polypunx polycounter lvl 9
    Hi,

So I've been meaning to upgrade my graphics card and add more ram to my computer for a while now, but I don't really know anything about hardware. So I was hoping someone here could give me some advice.
    I'll link some products below and maybe someone can tell me if they are good or bad. Suggestions for other products would also be appreciated. Thanks =)
    I also have my current specs below

These are some graphics cards I'm looking at. They have similar specs and price
    ---------------------------------------

MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X HDMI 3xDP 6GB - https://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?e=3780489

Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 2xHDMI 2xDP 6GB - https://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?e=3793825

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce 2X OC HDMI DP 2xDVI 6GB - https://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?e=3814563

EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming ACX 2.0 HDMI 3xDP 6GB - https://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?e=3793833

For RAM I'm looking at this. Seems to be similar to the ones I have currently.

Here are my current specs:

Gainward GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB PhysX
    PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, 2xDVI, HDMI, 822MHz

Corsair Vengeance# DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
    Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V,
    Vengeance Heatspreader, 240 pin

Intel® Core# i7-2600 Processor
    Socket-LGA1155, Quad Core, 3.4Ghz, 8MB, 95W,
    Boxed w/fan

Silver Power SP-SS500 500W PSU
    ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus, Standard, 1x 6pin+1x 6+2pin
    PCIe, 6× SATA, 120mm Fan

ASUS P8P67 LE, Socket-1155
    ATX, P67, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, Crossfire, SATA
    6Gb/s, USB 3.0, FW, BT, EFI

Cooler Master CM 690 II Lite Svart
    Fans: 1x 120mm Front, 1x 120mm Bak, mATX, ATX

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
    7200RPM, SATA 3.0 Gbps, 3,5", 32MB Cache, 8.9ms

Cheers
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @polypunx All those video cards are basically the same thing, get whichever is cheapest (I personally use the MSI one).
    For RAM, that'll probably be OK, but normally all your RAM sticks should be the same capacity (you currently have 2x4GB, and you're looking at 2x8GB, I'd just go with another 2x4GB so you have a total of 16GB in your system). Also keep in mind that RAM wont be useful if you decide to do a CPU upgrade in the future since DDR3 was succeeded by DDR4 several years ago.
  • polypunx
    Offline / Send Message
    polypunx polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks @PolyHertz
    If I upgrade to DDR4 I need to upgrade both the cpu and the motherboard, right? Or can I keep my motherboard?

How important is a DDR3 to DDR4 upgrade for a 3d artist? 
    I work mainly with 3ds max, substance painter and substance designer. I do a little bit of work in zbrush, but it's mostly concept sculpting.
    And I don't play games at all on my pc.
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 greentooth
    polypunx said:
    Thanks @PolyHertz
    If I upgrade to DDR4 I need to upgrade both the cpu and the motherboard, right? Or can I keep my motherboard?

How important is a DDR3 to DDR4 upgrade for a 3d artist? 
    I work mainly with 3ds max, substance painter and substance designer. I do a little bit of work in zbrush, but it's mostly concept sculpting.
    And I don't play games at all on my pc.

Not important to be honest, it's just something that will likely get phased out in many years time. DDR3 will still work on boards with DDR4 support, but eventually RAM manufacturers will discontinue DDR3, even then you can still buy DDR2 now. Performance wise, you're getting negligible gains, for a bit less voltage, that really don't make it worth the cost at the moment unless you have a server farm. It's expensive enough getting DDR3 RAM as it is!
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    @polypunx Yes you would need a new motherboard and CPU, though given you're using a 7 year old processor it might be getting time to consider an upgrade anyways (at this point I'd wait for the release of Intels Icelake series of CPUs). That said, outside of VR and a few other very specific tasks there's no noticeable benefit of using DDR4 over DDR3.
    Axi5 said:
    DDR3 will still work on boards with DDR4 support
    There are some motherboards that support both DDR3 and DDR4, but they are rare, and need DIMM sockets for each type because the notch is in a different place (so it's impossible to stick a DDR3 ram stick into a DDR4 socket and vise versa).