• Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master

These are a lot of fun!

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter

@Bolovorix Certainly lot of fun to make, thanks for having a look 🍻

Wow, can't believe the sketchbook made it to page two 🤩 Thanks for frontpage, much appreciated 🙇

Another day, another experiment 🐺

screenshot from viewport

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
  • Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
  • Fabi_G
  • Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message

greentooth loop 🍻

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message

capsule art in progress 😌

• killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter

The cherries' run cycle would be a lot of fun, that's great.

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message

@killnpc that's a cool idea! Rigging/animation is something I bang my head against every now and then, just to get tangeled up in all those contstraints and animation curves. But one day :P

A quick update with the recently "completed" Bi-Monthly-Environment-Challenge to document my process.

Used tiling surfaces and a trimsheet for texturing.

Base geometry for the roof consists of single sided lowpoly, using the following modifier stack:

1. Subdiv
    2. Displace
    3. Decimate
    4. Solidify (for the roof, to add thickness, assign new vertices to vertex group)
    5. Data Transfer (vertex normals from non-displaced instance limited to inverted vertex group)
    6. Boolean (to rough up edges)

Some array objects like wood boards or ladder rungs use following modifiers:

1. Array with UV offset along U to add surface variation.
    2. Displace to break up shape (limited by vertex groups to borders/certain areas)
    3. Transfer Attributes to transfer vertex colour masks from helper mesh

I think the boards don't hold up close up. An alternative to explore would be to randomly choose detailed meshes from a list. How to distribute the transforms? Particles? Geometry nodes? What proxy geometry to use? Probably similar approach when making the roof from singe slates. Or one can see how far detailing the current geometry goes. Or monkey work.

Adopted the habit of using instanced collections for repeating elements like windows, doors or barrels, since I feel it it helps to keep the scenes slim.

For presentation I used UE5.11. Set up cinematic cameras for different shots. Added a video sequencer for the short turn around clip rendered with movie sequence renderer:

Overall making videos in Unreal is something I find very fund and interesting (loops!?) and something will explore more.

Maybe I will have the time and motivation to continue on it at later time with fresh eyes.

I saw the current challenge on Artstation, maybe I will do something for that? So far this is my favorite concept from the first stage: https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/061/358/254/large/d-2.jpg?1680610696

But first I have to do some work :D

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Oh poor, neglected sketchbook! Did a few more bi-monthly environment challenge projects recently:

Projector from Prey, based on the concept by Dmitry Sorokin
    model

Used a bevel modifier on simple geo for the highpoly, combined with floaters. To reduce skewing when baking, support loops were added to the lowpoly using a bevel modifier with 2 segments and profile of 1. Due to identical shading, normal map was applied to unmodified lowpoly.

Other ways I could have done the asset would be to bake down bevel shader for the base body, or create a midpoly with fwn. Then add details using mesh decals?

Armchair and props, based on the concept by María Gómez
    model

Tried to keep it simple, so just did some low-poly modelling. Painting the texture atlases was fun. Used boolean modifiers to rough up the models. Particularly the chest turned out too simple.

Viking Palace, based on a concept by Anna Kulakovskaia

A project I sort slipped into, which exploded a bit in scope, against my better knowledge :P This resulted in spreading myself too thin and giving the individual assets too little time. First time I touched Niagara to create some fire particle systems.

Some of the different material types created:
    • Fur - UV0: Tiling fur textures. UV1: tiling border trim alpha. Alpha cutoff parameter to thin outer shells. Vertex color is used to vary the base colour.
    • Cloth - UV0: Tiling fabric textures. Macro noise to add varition. UV1: individual pattern and borders. Simple grass wind to add some movement.
    • Coal - Two layers of emissive based on the packed height mask. Varied by a panning noise. Pixel depth offset to blend with other meshes.
    • Large objects - Combine low/medium resolution textures with tiling detail textures. Modulate values based on packed object masks.
    Simulated some simple pieces of cloth in blender to add some variation. The majority of the assets is simply modeled, using tiling textures. A shield BP projects a decal to the outer side of the shield mesh. Setting the index, one can flip through different painting variations. Project on AS contains a short video clip showing the hall in movement.

Once again recognized that one flaw of mine is that I spread myself too thin, not giving individual assets sufficient polish. What's next? Idk, probably should finish some things I started :P 
  • Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    loop experiments with animations, modules and instances:

Started carving a pretzel/ knot-like shape from some spare piece of wood while visiting family. Maybe I will continue working on it during my next visit.

Also went to a village named Mürren over the weekend to do some hiking, nature was incredibly beautiful.

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Update Time!
    Random sketches - maybe I could turn some into simple characters for loops or a game

Recently got around to look through things I worked on during my last employment and put things on my portfolio. Loved working on spider creatures.

Other than that, I started with the magic hall environment for the bi-monthly environment challenge (awesome concepts). Combing trim sheet with tiling surfaces.

Why am I still playing Spelunky 2?! Got to continue System Shock at one point!
  • Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Still didn't continue with System Shock, still playing Spelunky 2.

Random sketches:

Inspired by the current artstation challenge Neo Tokio, I was thinking of a character. It would be someone living/surviving in the lower levels of the mega city, between pipes and cables.

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Short monster side project in progress. It's for a friend to use in his prototype. It has some sort of hands/claw like mandibles. Looking at the current state, it reminds me of a Bloodsucker found in Stalker. Probably do another pass on the highpoly and textures should be much more detailed and horrible of course. But I exported a version to Unreal at this time to check out how it looks, transferring the mannequin skin weights. Going off to visit family for two weeks, working on the laptop.

• Fabi_G
  • Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Managed to take part in the current bi-monthly environment challenge,
    creating an oven based on the cool concept by seru.

Model on Sketchfab:
    model

Rendered in Toolbag:

UVs/Textures:

• Fabi_G
  • Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    more progress on monster

model
  • Fabi_G
  • Fabi_G
  • Fabi_G
  • Hellgnome
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellgnome polycounter lvl 7

Damn, why have I never thought about this...
    A sketchbook, but instead of 2D sketches alone, I can also do sketches in 3D.... I feel so stupid.
    I have always been so obsessed with finishing everything, when working in 3D.
    Maybe that is why my progress is, and always have been so slow, I do not experiement enough.

You posting and shareing of this, has really been an eye opener, thank you so much. 

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks for looking @Hellgnome, appreciate the comment, all the best :heart:
    A gnome from hell:

sketch (ugh)

Simple scene with pulsating overgrowth?

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message

Camera path too hectic, straight path? simulate physics/damage? Dust particles. Adventurerer details? Rope, tunik, ... Current process uses Rigify. Faster using mixamo? Use a unified skeleton - reduce time spent by using stock animations?

rowdy weather

sea beast

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    random adventurer sketch

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Created a chest based on the cool concept by Tobias Frank for the bi-monthly environment challenge.

Toolbag4 render:

Sketchfab:
    model

Texture atlas 256x512 (diffuse, roughness, metallic, emissive):

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Random scribbles

• Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Dear diary... :P
    Sometimes I don't update, because I feel something is not finished or relevant enough :')

I'm thankful I got the opportunity to take part in a small group exhibition with some loops, assembled into a video. Cool to share it in that format and get some real life reactions. My mother also participated in this exhibition with paintings, which was a cool experience :D I did a rough sketch to accompany the screen with something "real". While nothing special, it was nice to use some real brush again and have a no-ctrl+z-experience :sunglasses:

(the paintings seen on the right are by Stefano Gentile)

Started doing a loop sequence using a series of paintings of doors/windows by my mum.
    Reduced quality and colors to get a small enough gif

Got more paintings to experiment with and generally plenty ideas in on my backlog.

Then I dug my teeth into the current bi-monthly challenge. First I translated the medieval stylized chest, based on the great concept by Geraud Soulie, into 3d.
    model
    Maybe I want to do more hand painting in the future, to get better at it. Feels refreshing to break out of the - self-imposed - highpoly to lowpoly prison and just model and paint away.

Also I took on the Sci-fi themed crate, based on the cool concept by Gin Z. Mainly I wanted to do that fabric cover :-B
    model
    Ended up cloth-simulating it in Blender using collision meshes. It was quite slow trial and error process. If doing fabric more often, I would consider Marvelous Designer for sure, although the subscription model is a bit of a turn-off.

Edit: Edited the text some