Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge | March - April (89)

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Pinkfox sublime tool
Hey all! Want to welcome you all to the 89th edition of the Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge for the months of March and April!

This challenge is a way for real-time 3D artists to test their skills and create a piece of work based on concepts provided. It's open to those of all skill levels and we do our best to provide meaningful feedback along the way so everyone can come away from the challenge with actionable points on which they can improve their craft!

Anyone is welcome in this challenge no matter your skill level! It's a test of your own ability not a competition between members. We're all here to improve as artists and learn from each other.

- ENVIRONMENTS -

HARD SURFACE ENVIRONMENT:

Concept art works for a sci-fi movie project last year by Wang Jie

STYLIZED ENVIRONMENT:

《石屋部落》by G xy

- PROPS -

HARD SURFACE PROP:

CLA Box by Gin Z.

STYLIZED PROP:

PROPS #2 - HEIMR project by Geraud Soulie (2D) / Roger Trootman (3D)

- RULES -

Please read all the rules before starting:
  • Try to post at least one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • Try your best to finish as much as you can in the time frame provided, but remember even if you don't finish by the end of the challenge we encourage you to keep pushing and finish your piece!
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. Please avoid creating a new thread as we don't want to spam out the forums.
  • It is recommended to use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine, Unity, and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag for example.)
  • Feel free to change up your chosen concept a bit if you want! Interpret these concepts to your liking, especially if your aim is to add storytelling elements.
  • If you finish your project and decide to post it to something like Artstation, make sure you give credit to the concept artist in the form of a link to their profile. Additionally, it is recommended to ask a concept artist for their permission to post a 3D piece based on their work before doing so.

- RECOMMENDATIONS -

• When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing. Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.
  • Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, don't be afraid to make it your own.
  • We strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel.
The goal is to learn and grow both artistically and in your ability to both give and receive critique, but don't stress about it and remember to have fun!

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Nice, a new challenge! Whenever I see a chest, I have to model :sweat_smile:
    Probably will try to keep it simple (as always), maybe just geometry and diffuse, roughness, metallic maps.

Looking forward to see what people are making.

Edit: Started painting a texture atlas. Previewed on Sketchfab.

Edit2:
    Continued with the texture atlas and tweaked some geometry. Used Blender and Sketchfab to preview. 
    model
    The original texture atlas is 1k.

Ended up hand painting some normal map, which makes for an interesting, exaggerated look imo. Maybe I'll experiment with that some more in the future.
    - Texture atlas could be refined/optimized. 
    - Unique AO on UV1 could be added.
  • Convergent31
    Working on the hard surface prop - the CLA box

1st pass done. 
  • SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimãoSilva polycounter lvl 8
    Gonna try my hand on the hard surface environment!

Made a quick mock up in blender to get a feel for scale and lighting.

Having a hard time getting the perspective and the camera positioning but ill worry about that in UE5.
    Now off to start working on the props!
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SimãoSilva I think that's a solid blockout, looking forward to see it in Unreal. One comment I would make is that there is no proxy human visible in the in the render, for scale reference, thus making it hard to judge the dimensions.

@Convergent31 Nice start. How are you planning to create the soft/fabric casing?

Keep it up!

Edit: Toolbag render of updated chest model:
  • Jammilburn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jammilburn polycounter lvl 8
    I was inspired by the first concept so I thought I would give this a go, blockout done in blender and into UE and messing about with the lighting but I will come back to that. UE camera couldn't match my blender camera completely so I have compromised a bit:

• SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    @SimãoSilva I think that's a solid blockout, looking forward to see it in Unreal. One comment I would make is that there is no proxy human visible in the in the render, for scale reference, thus making it hard to judge the dimensions.

@Convergent31 Nice start. How are you planning to create the soft/fabric casing?

Keep it up!

Fabi_G totally forgot to do that changed some of the proportions and am now working on making the props and importing into UE5.

• AD_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AD_3D polycounter lvl 4
    Fabi_G said:
    This looks awesome, great work!

If I had to think of something for critique, perhaps adding some subtle surface wear to the front handle to break up those highlights. Even just a subtle tweak in the roughness map, however that's just a nitpick as it is it looks great, and a good translation from the concept art.

I'm looking forward to seeing how all of these turn out.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AD_3D thank you, appreciate your critique!

Took a jab at the sci-fi crate too, being particularly interested in how to create the fabric part.
    model

Initially I thought about adding folds by putting a floating strip along the edges with fold texture. Sort of a generic solution, that would make it easy to quickly create similar containers, reusing the same textures. But my results were not convincing, maybe I quit this approach too soon.

In the end, I settled on doing a unique case, using Blenders cloth simulation for the highpoly meshes. To get them into shape, I ended up creating collision meshes for lid and body:

Finding the settings that give ok results was trial and error and I still don't quite know what some parameters mean. I think using a higher resolution meshes would have yielded better results, but the time simulating would probably increase quite a bit. Using Marvelous Designer for this task would be more convenient.
  • Benny_Jam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benny_Jam triangle
    Been a while since I've done some hard surface work . Thought I'd give the combat crate a try. Done the block out with some modifiers. 

@Fabi_G  Looks good mate . Not sure how I'm gonna do the cloth part of the box myself. Might take the high into Zbrush and hand sculpt some of the folds 

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Benny_Jam Sweet, happy to see another crate and looking forward to read about your experience creating the fabric cover :-B Blockout looks solid so far! I would remark that the rounded corners are maybe a bit too tight if compared to the original design. But maybe that's a stylistic choice you made or is going smooth out throughout the process. Keep it up!
  • creepyhooman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    creepyhooman polycounter lvl 7
    For the cloth part of the crate you could use a little bigger mesh (or make it a bit stretchy)  as the basic crate is and then use vacuum effect as to suck the air out. I'm only brainstorming.

As for my part, I've chosen the chest and the assets from that picture and did a little scene with those pieces.

• SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to pass things into UE5, and making materials with random textures i had lying on my hdd, haven't gotten the hang of lighting but getting there.

• SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, now working on the lighting and those volumetric light shafts, also feeling like the whole scene itself is to bright so i should work out with the post processing, but any one has any tips on how to get those light shafts ? volumetric isn't working as well as i though it would. Also using a volumetric fog to fake the dark end of the corridor.

• Jammilburn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, now working on the lighting and those volumetric light shafts, also feeling like the whole scene itself is to bright so i should work out with the post processing, but any one has any tips on how to get those light shafts ? volumetric isn't working as well as i though it would. Also using a volumetric fog to fake the dark end of the corridor.

Try cranking this this value in your directional light:
    I have been messing around with these values on the height fog too:

Mainly the distance and falloff, fog density etc so I could get a nice few rays only close up, with the shadowy end of the corridor

Looking good!
  • SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well played around a bit more with lights, fog, and with some decals to add some more visual noise and variation.

@Jammilburn I tried! messed around with the values and just gave up, made a quick gradient texture and using some polygons just made some fake light shafts! honestly I don't dislike the end result.

I'm not in love with the end result but I'm also not hating it, and happy about the results for the amount of work i put in.
    I'm now gonna throw my hand at an attempt at making the crate cause I've been brewing some ideas on how to use clo/marvelous designer to do it and im excited about it "

• CarlosGPagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlosGPagan triangle
    Hello there! i will try this nice CLA box. Scale and first dimensional block out done! feedback is welcome.
  • CarlosGPagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlosGPagan triangle
    Block Out done using bevel,subdivide and solidify. Ready to HP and LP!
  • SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well took today to make a high poly of the crate, made the hard surface details in fusion 360 and the cloth using CLO! I'll explain my workflow with pictures.

So this is the model in Fusion360, i made a rough cage of the shape of the cloth, to use it as a guide in CLO.

The clo files, i mostly just made basic shapes to cover all the angles then merged all the ones i could into their own pieces, connected them and simulated it!

And now the end result.

I really like how the cloth turned out, i could have made the particle density higher and get a much high detail mesh but the time it would take would be to long, il just use zbrush or sculpt in blender to smooth and maybe define the wrinkles a bit more.
    I should decide now how low poly i want to make it, part of me wants to make it as low poly as i can but i also really want to capture as much of the detail i can.
    I hope you found the workflow interesting! I'm loving using weirder or more niche software for this kind of stuff.
  • Jammilburn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where i'm at with this one: