Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge | September - October (86)

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Pinkfox sublime tool
Hey everyone! Welcome to the 86th edition of the Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge for the months of September and October!

This challenge is a way for real-time 3D artists to test their skills and create a piece of work based on concepts provided. It's open to those of all skill levels and we do our best to provide meaningful feedback along the way so everyone can come away from the challenge with actionable points on which they can improve their craft!

Anyone is welcome in this challenge no matter your skill level! It's a test of your own ability not a competition between members. We're all here to improve as artists and learn from each other.

- ENVIRONMENTS -

HARD SURFACE ENVIRONMENT:

Green house from Halo by 橄榄油

STYLIZED ENVIRONMENT:

废弃项目01 by sleepy pang

- PROPS -

HARD SURFACE PROP:

Kizazi Moto: Stardust by BDWY .

STYLIZED PROP:

Architecture & Props Design by André Leroy

- RULES -

Please read all the rules before starting:
  • Try to post at least one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • Try your best to finish as much as you can in the time frame provided, but remember even if you don't finish by the end of the challenge we encourage you to keep pushing and finish your piece!
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. Please avoid creating a new thread as we don't want to spam out the forums.
  • It is recommended to use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine, Unity, and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag for example.)
  • Feel free to change up your chosen concept a bit if you want! Interpret these concepts to your liking, especially if your aim is to add storytelling elements.
  • If you finish your project and decide to post it to something like Artgram or Artstation, make sure you give credit to the concept artist in the form of a link to their profile. Additionally, it is recommended to ask a concept artist for their permission to post a 3D piece based on their work before doing so.

- RECOMMENDATIONS -

• When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing. Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.
  • Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, don't be afraid to make it your own.
  • We strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel.
The goal is to learn and grow both artistically and in your ability to both give and receive critique, but don't stress about it and remember to have fun!

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• マルコ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    マルコ polycounter lvl 3
    Trying to come back to 3d after 8 years (yet again - I've returned briefly past this years but it didn't last) , I've decided to join this challenge in order to both brush up my skills but also learn something new, by challenging myself with Stylized and Environment, which are both outside of my comfort zone.
    Blocking out of the scene in progress:

• StykaSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StykaSmith polycounter lvl 3
    Excited to finally be able to take part in one of these again. Decided to take on the hard surface prop. Gonna move into Zbrush next so i can try and capture some of the imperfections and micro details. Hoping to get it done quickly so I have the most time to spend on the texturing.

• マルコ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    マルコ polycounter lvl 3
    I think I'm done with the blockout, many parts are missing still but I should have enough to move into Zbrush and start detailing each single piece.
    The only problem is I have over a hundred pieces already, and I don't know if I have enough steam left in me... well, one step in front of the other I guess, and without thinking any further than that xD

An interesting thing to notice is that, because of the orthographic view from the concept, in order to have the diagonal stones appear of the same size, it means they actually need to be modeled with different sizes - below the orthographic view next to the top view of them:
    so by doing that I might have committed a lot to this single view, but I'm ok with that.
    Anyway, this was inside of 3ds max where I'm comfortable with, I know only the very basics of zbrush and I'm not that good at sculpting so the real struggle begins now... I hope it won't turn out too stressful lul
  • Geausselain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geausselain polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, everyone,

Back after so many years. My last contract just ended, I need to give my portfolio a little boost so I am happy to join the ranks for this challenge!

I did a blockout in 3ds max. Tomorrow I will do a pass in Zbrush. I hope I will be okay, it is been a long time since I have touched Zbrush x)
    Do not hesitate if you have any feedback!

• StykaSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was finally able to get back to this and put in some work. Definitely want to iron some stuff out and tweak some things but I'm really liking the current look. 

• Geausselain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello, so I did a little zbrush for the machine. I am not used to it, so I am not totally at ease, but I am still a bit happy with the result.
    I am taking the liberty of interpreting the concept a little more towards a stylized DA that is a bit more casual. 

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear from you!

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeekeroflLight polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Geausselain, digging your chimney and the distressing you have done on it in Zbrush. I'm doing the same still in blockout. I'm not sure how close you want to get the reference, and I get the creative liberty. Some stuff I think would be to push that stylized look would be to chunk up some of the areas.  Here I painted over some of the stuff that I saw.

Well, I outed myself.  I guess I have to post mine now.   ;)

• SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started this way earlier, and still in the blockout. I wanted to do something other than realism stuff and to keep somewhat fresh in Maya, as I am currently working in Max and not wanting to get burnt out.  I'm open to any suggestions.  =) 

I did add a handle and a chain with a latch kind of thing, thinking about how to make sense of that side panel.

• Pep_mepla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pep_mepla polycounter lvl 2
    マルコ said:
    I think I'm done with the blockout, many parts are missing still but I should have enough to move into Zbrush and start detailing each single piece.
    The only problem is I have over a hundred pieces already, and I don't know if I have enough steam left in me... well, one step in front of the other I guess, and without thinking any further than that xD

An interesting thing to notice is that, because of the orthographic view from the concept, in order to have the diagonal stones appear of the same size, it means they actually need to be modeled with different sizes - below the orthographic view next to the top view of them:
    so by doing that I might have committed a lot to this single view, but I'm ok with that.
    Anyway, this was inside of 3ds max where I'm comfortable with, I know only the very basics of zbrush and I'm not that good at sculpting so the real struggle begins now... I hope it won't turn out too stressful lul

Love how it is turning out! How did you sculpt the terrain? It is something that I struggle with quite often.
    I don't know what approach you are using here, but maybe you could solve the many pieces problem by working with some modularity, as I can see that the concept has many repeating patterns and objects. I would love to see how far you get this piece!

• Pep_mepla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And maybe I joined the party a little late, but nonetheless I wanted to give it a go. This is how my blockout is going so far. Next up I'll sculpt some details in Zbrush as well c:

• Pep_mepla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my textured model in Unreal. Im still working on the logs, but I really like how it's looking so far
    Any feedback would be very welcome!
    And here is the render in Marmoset
  • SeekeroflLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Pep_mepla, I think your chimney is looking really good! I'm liking your interpretation of the red pipes on the side. 

The only thing that I would suggest would be to darken the edge ever so slightly where the damage is, and that is me being nit-picky, overall liking the texturing, that bit of grunge at the top opening is nice.
    Curious to see how you plan for the fire and smoke.

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    @Pep_mepla nice progress. What kind of style do you have in mind for the asset? More on the realistic or more on the stylized side? For realistic, I think the textures are currently too simple. Keep it up! 

Finally found time to do something for this challenge too. As always, very interesting to see different interpretations of the concepts. I went with the oven as well, and attempted a cartoony style. I didn't quite know what some of the element were supposed to be and just tried to make it look reasonable. Interpreted the red tubes as a support structure that was added later, the appendance attached to the chimney as a handle, and the plate on the left of the body as some element to one hang tools from or put a clipboard down.

Started with a blockout. Then was unsure whether to just make a mid poly and map the UVs to an atlas, or create a unique texture. I decided for latter for the oven. Bolts reuse UVs/texture. For the logs and fire created some atlas in Photoshop.

blockout:

textures:

Model on sketchfab:
    model

Surely I can make the textures more interesting. And the fire too. Everything really :D
    edit: updated topology for cleaner bake, straightened some UV strips, slight tweaks to textures
  • StykaSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ran into some issues and was worried I wasn't gonna finish in time, but here's the finished piece! Brought it into Unreal to render. Added the particles with niagara and the glow with a emissive/opacity material. Probably the most complex prop I've done, do I'm really happy with how it turned out

• Pep_mepla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly I wasn't able to finish the fire and logs on time, but I liked the final result nevertheless. I added some more damage details, some contour to the bottom dirt as suggested (which does make it pop up a lot more) and some other minor details, plus more geo soften the edges on the rounded shapes.

• Pep_mepla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    @Pep_mepla nice progress. What kind of style do you have in mind for the asset? More on the realistic or more on the stylized side? For realistic, I think the textures are currently too simple. Keep it up! 

Finally found time to do something for this challenge too. As always, very interesting to see different interpretations of the concepts. I went with the oven as well, and attempted a cartoony style. I didn't quite know what some of the element were supposed to be and just tried to make it look reasonable. Interpreted the red tubes as a support structure that was added later, the appendance attached to the chimney as a handle, and the plate on the left of the body as some element to one hang tools from or put a clipboard down.

Started with a blockout. Then was unsure whether to just make a mid poly and map the UVs to an atlas, or create a unique texture. I decided for latter for the oven. Bolts reuse UVs/texture. For the logs and fire created some atlas in Photoshop.

blockout:

textures:

Model on sketchfab:
    model

Surely I can make the textures more interesting. And the fire too. Everything really :D
    edit: updated topology for cleaner bake, straightened some UV strips, slight tweaks to textures

I loved the cartoonish style you gave to the prop! Seriously it inspired me a lot. You kept the main shapes, but made it yours.

Ran into some issues and was worried I wasn't gonna finish in time, but here's the finished piece! Brought it into Unreal to render. Added the particles with niagara and the glow with a emissive/opacity material. Probably the most complex prop I've done, do I'm really happy with how it turned out

Love how it turned out! It looks almost an exact match to the concept art, which can be tricky most of the times. Great texturing and modeling job!

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    @Pep_mepla Thanks! I got inspired by your and the other entries as well. Your oven turned out nicely, it has a semi stylized look to it. When I had to name a thing to improve, I think the material could have a more metallic look - if that was the intended type of surface. Personally, I would sometimes just slap presets or scanned materials onto the asset, either to use as a base or to have some reference for the values. 

@StykaSmith cool model, would like to see some breakdown of it, like UV layout and texture resolution.

See you in the next challenge (hopefully)
  • Pep_mepla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G said:
    @Pep_mepla Thanks! I got inspired by your and the other entries as well. Your oven turned out nicely, it has a semi stylized look to it. When I had to name a thing to improve, I think the material could have a more metallic look - if that was the intended type of surface. Personally, I would sometimes just slap presets or scanned materials onto the asset, either to use as a base or to have some reference for the values. 

@StykaSmith cool model, would like to see some breakdown of it, like UV layout and texture resolution.

See you in the next challenge (hopefully)

Thanks a lot for your feedback! hehe I did try to make it semi stylized, kinda like Overwatch, which is one of my favourit styles.
    But you are right, it doesn't look metallic. I need to look at more references from artists that have achieved the metallic look on stylized assets. You achieved pretty well in my opinion.
  • Pinkfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    Hey everyone! I missed a lot while I was on vacation.

Excellent work being done all around and it's awesome to see the breakdowns and information sharing going on. You all make me so proud. <3
    Apologies for getting the next challenge up so late but it's here now!
  • Geausselain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, 

After a long delay, here's my copy for this challenge.
    I had a lot of trouble finishing it. I'm not totally satisfied with the result. @Fabi_G came much closer to what I wanted to do and that helped me a lot to finish my props.

I realize that I still have a long way to go to reach the level I want. 
    Still, I'm glad I finished it so I can move on! 

Thank you all for your advice and your work!
    It's very inspiring! 

model
  • Pinkfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    That's awesome, @Geausselain! Glad you kept at it and was able to get it wrapped up.

I think you did a pretty stellar job on it overall, the shape is there and the colors are working well. The place I'd recommend looking more into is how to use channels other than the color to bring a bit of variation to things. Right now it's all fairly diffuse but if you were to play with the roughness here and there to allow some light bounces in those larger areas of solid color, or near edges that are creating your silhouette, it can help give it even more life without needing to change anything else.