Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge | July - August (85)

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Pinkfox sublime tool
Hey everyone! Welcome to the 85th edition of the Bi-Monthly Environment Art Challenge for the months of July and August!

This challenge is a way for real-time 3D artists to test their skills and create a piece of work based on concepts provided. It's open to those of all skill levels and we do our best to provide meaningful feedback along the way so everyone can come away from the challenge with actionable points on which they can improve their craft!

Anyone is welcome in this challenge no matter your skill level! It's a test of your own ability not a competition between members. We're all here to improve as artists and learn from each other.

- ENVIRONMENTS -

HARD SURFACE ENVIRONMENT:

Solasta Crown of The Magister : Winter Update by Karine Villette

STYLIZED ENVIRONMENT:

Underwater Dungeon by Rach Alderson
https://www.artgram.co/a/underwater-dungeon

- PROPS -

HARD SURFACE PROP:

Tools for the Cockroach Hunt by Verena Lehner-Dittenberger
https://www.artgram.co/a/tools-for-the-cockroach-hunt

STYLIZED PROP:

Crash Bandicoot 4: Props by Khoa Viet
https://www.artgram.co/a/crash-bandicoot-4-props

- RULES -

Please read all the rules before starting:
  • Try to post at least one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.
  • Try your best to finish as much as you can in the time frame provided, but remember even if you don't finish by the end of the challenge we encourage you to keep pushing and finish your piece!
  • Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. Please avoid creating a new thread as we don't want to spam out the forums.
  • It is recommended to use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine, Unity, and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used but feel free to use any alternatives that you want. (Marmoset Toolbag for example.)
  • Feel free to change up your chosen concept a bit if you want! Interpret these concepts to your liking, especially if your aim is to add storytelling elements.
  • If you finish your project and decide to post it to something like Artgram or Artstation, make sure you give credit to the concept artist in the form of a link to their profile. Additionally, it is recommended to ask a concept artist for their permission to post a 3D piece based on their work before doing so.

- RECOMMENDATIONS -

• When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing. Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.
  • Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, don't be afraid to make it your own.
  • We strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel.
The goal is to learn and grow both artistically and in your ability to both give and receive critique, but don't stress about it and remember to have fun!

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Cool concepts! I will attempt the magic hall. A good opportunity to work with trim-sheets and modules.
    Blockout in Blender:

in UE:

• S1mon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S1mon triangle
    Hi all, new to the site, stumbled upon it by accident but really like the idea of modelling challenges

iv been working on the walki talkie

modelling in maya and texturing/rendering in marmoset, just adding in base materials first, still need to add in more details 
  • LloydScribble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LloydScribble polycounter lvl 3
    I too have decided to work on the walkie-talkie! Here are a bunch of screenshots of my high poly in Maya, I'm going to start unwrapping and working on baking now.

And here are some wirey screenshots

Now, onto some texturessss! :D

• D1ll1ng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D1ll1ng triangle
    I have decided to join in on the challenge, I really hope i have time to finish it :) I really liked the Underwater Dungeon, so here is the blockout, not completely done, but I'm on the verge to fall into more detail.
  • S1mon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S1mon triangle
    starting to add a few more details
  • LloydScribble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I finished my low poly and baked down the geo! :) Here are some screenshots of the final bake! 

And here is the low poly wireframe and my UV layout! :) The final asset comes to 5000 tris. 

Thanks for takkingg a look! :D 
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress pictures! What texture resolution are you targeting for the walkie-talkie? I think straightening UV strips where applicable would be nice.

I continued some on the magic hall. Created a trim atlas to map UVs to, which I want to flesh out further (iterate shapes, sculpt, texture). Large areas will be covered with tiling textures. Created a simple lamp blueprint with light parameters exposed.

Currently the pillars use a boolean modifier to cut one segment in shape, which is then used by a circular array.

Have a good week!
  • S1mon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S1mon triangle
    Fabi_G said:
    Nice progress pictures! What texture resolution are you targeting for the walkie-talkie? I think straightening UV strips where applicable would be nice.

I continued some on the magic hall. Created a trim atlas to map UVs to, which I want to flesh out further (iterate shapes, sculpt, texture). Large areas will be covered with tiling textures. Created a simple lamp blueprint with light parameters exposed.

Currently the pillars use a boolean modifier to cut one segment in shape, which is then used by a circular array.

Have a good week!
    that is looking rally nice lighting is looking spot on
  • LloydScribble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://skfb.ly/oJtJT

Here is my first pass of some texturing up on Sketchfab so it's easier to give some feedback if you would like! :)

To answer an earlier question, I've just got my textures on a 2k texture sheet. 
  • LloydScribble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't too happy with the Sketchfab piece, the quality seems to be pretty bad and I'm not sure what is causing it. Here is a WIP Marmo render instead. :)

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LloydScribble Looking good! I think some slight color variation would be nice to break up the large areas some and make it look more used/ less clean. Are you planning to adding the name tag too? I feel on tools that people touch the edges could have a bit larger bevels so they seem less hard/sharp, but that's personal preference, like this it also has a certain appeal. 

Continued working on the magic hall scene. Created a statue, sculpted a rock module, reworked the trim sheet, started another texture set.

Things to do: finish texture sets, add more decorative elements, damage pass, adjust lighting, do a short flythrough clip.
    Don't know how much more time I can put into this. Happy to hear your thoughts/ suggestions.

Have a good week!
  • Laneyboom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laneyboom polycounter lvl 10
    I have been working on this for the past couple of nights, my plan is to take this mid poly model into Zbrush and dynamesh it to create the HP / add wear. Then clean up this mid poly model for the low then bake and texture in substance painter. 

Would love some feedback. 

• Aaditya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaditya triangle
    Here is mine version of Test Renders .Feedbaks are most welcome.Thanks                                                                                                        
  • Aaditya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaditya triangle
    S1mon said:
    starting to add a few more details
    Looking Good But i think silhouette needs more Attention specially left one according to Ref.
  • Aaditya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaditya triangle
    This is Mine Latest Test Renders for Walkie Talkie. Feedbacks are welcome.Thanks
  • Aaditya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaditya triangle
    Laneyboom said:
    I have been working on this for the past couple of nights, my plan is to take this mid poly model into Zbrush and dynamesh it to create the HP / add wear. Then clean up this mid poly model for the low then bake and texture in substance painter. 

Would love some feedback. 

Looking Well Polished and Balanced ,but from my point of view front Shields need to be thick. may be 

• Aaditya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaditya triangle
    I wasn't too happy with the Sketchfab piece, the quality seems to be pretty bad and I'm not sure what is causing it. Here is a WIP Marmo render instead. :)

You Done really Great Job , The yellow part is Plastic Right?
  • LloydScribble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Aaditya Well, from the reference we could infer that the yellow part is paint over a metal casing that is peeling a bit. But, I can't find any reference of walkie talkie / radios that are actually like that. I'm probably going to switch to making the centre more of a kind of plastic.

• Aaditya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaditya triangle
    @Aaditya Well, from the reference we could infer that the yellow part is paint over a metal casing that is peeling a bit. But, I can't find any reference of walkie talkie / radios that are actually like that. I'm probably going to switch to making the centre more of a kind of plastic.

Yeah I also found all are of plastic. Anyway Best wishes for next move
  • Aaditya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaditya triangle
    Just A Quick Snapshot of That Concept Torch. 
    Curios About the Critics and suggestions .
    Thanks.
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_R_Hopo polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good, everyone! Aaditya, really like how you got the paint damage almost spot on to the reference.

I decided to make the lantern too. Not finding a ton of time to work on it, but got the highpoly done so far. I wasn't really sure from the images how that hinge on the back plate worked - seems to be drawn different between the images - so improvised a bit on that in a way I thought made sense.

• pixelalp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelalp triangle
    Hey everyone! I am also working on the hand lantern and loved the others' works. I am also questioned the backside hinge&plate, also the handle joint to the end(the side of the sphere of lamp). So I tried to make some adjustments to make it seem more believable and not to harm silhouette. I am planning to use this version of the model as base for the high poly and I will clean this up for low poly version. I would love to hear from you

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely progress!

@Aaditya Looking at the torch, I think the edge wear is a bit uniform, like the edges are highlighted equally all around. Maybe masking off the effect in areas or have it effect only roughness.

@pixelalpWhile I think the interpretation of the back looks good overall, I would be cautious that the size of the elements is consistent across the model, as the lower back latch detail (small screws) gets close to too small territory imo.

Keep it up, looking forward for updates!
  • Ducky97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducky97 triangle
    Hi all, my first challenge on this site. I'm working on the prop from Crash Bandicoot.  :)

This is what I have so far, some high poly skulls and have been messing around with how to make some cool looking fire. 

• DaFluke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, first time doing an art challenge on Polycount, figured now would be a good time to join in!

I decided to work on Rach Alderson's dungeon concept, as I've been meaning to build my experience with a more stylised style compared to the realistic style I frequent.

For now, I have my basic blockout in Blender just about complete, as well as the scene set up in UE5 with very basic lighting:

Blender:

Unreal Engine 5:

What I plan to do next:
    • Model a few other assets, like the lanterns, candles, underwater tusks, and the skeleton
    • Sculpt the smaller details into the pillars and walls to give more variety
    • Improve lighting. Currently it is lit with a few very basic light sources, and small alterations within a Post Proccessing Volume.
    • Texture Assets. Usually for more realistic objects I would texture in Designer + Painter, likely will stick to painter for stylised.
    • Make some alterations to the water. I'm happy so far with the flooded area, (though I plan to make it look a little more stylised), however the waterfall part to the water needs more of a green hue. I may need to create a seperate water texture for the waterfall to achieve this. Currently I am using a SingleWaterLayer node to achieve the flooded appearance but it doesn't seem to show colour well when the water is close to the surface.

Any feedback is appreciated! =)
  • pixelalp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelalp triangle
    Hi again!   I am done with my first attemp on the textures. I am kind a happy with most of the materials except the glass and its surrounding stainless steel (seem to flat and perfect in comparision with the rest). I followed the reference for the imperfections of yellow painted metal but exaggerated the deformations of the dark metal in purpose.

Lastly I don't feel like I am taking renders at the protfolio level. Do you have any suggestions to improve it? 

• Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ducky97 Good start! I think the skulls in the concept are made up from fairly primitive shapes, making it quite narrow/dynamic in places. Attempt to illustrate: 
    Keep it up!
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Hello everyone! I am currently in the block-out WIP stage and I decided to do the walkie talkie. I think it has the right amount of simplicity and yet complexity. 
    I am currently doing everything high poly with SUB-D in mind with no poly limit for VFX (or cinematic LOD). Then with time I shall do a Low poly version to make a bake across.  I'll focus with good topology quad conventions for the SUB-D first.  I shall with more time and dedication look at some posts tomorrow for feedback as It is quite late and I should sleep.  

• Its0urFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its0urFate polycounter lvl 2
    Decided to go a little out of my comfort zone and go with the stylized route. I've been neglecting ZBrush lately and wanted to challenge myself to see if I've retained my lessons from school. This current version is just feeling out the shapes and textures and deciding on where to go next, along with gathering any feedback about it as well. There's more straps to add and of course the fire, but wanted to use this as a break to step away from it for the night. Thanks!

• I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the low-poly mostly set up for texturing. Just have to fix a couple normal map issues and make the light-bulb smoother - Thought the glass would hide it better but it's very obvious that it's blocky. I've never made anything with transparency before so it'll be a learning experience setting the glass up properly.

• Its0urFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back from another weekend working on this. Added additional straps, got the fire in there with use of an alpha and some emission, and put down a basic landscape to try and match the concept. So far I'm liking where it's heading and really found an unknown passion for stylized props!
  • Its0urFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm going to call it done for now. I added the bones on the ground and adjusted the lighting to match the reference more (which was a challenge in itself) - I know some things are missing here and there but I wanted my main focus to be on the fence. I got comfortable with zbrush again and really found a passion to work on more stylized props after this. Thank you!

I'm really loving how everyone else's projects are coming along!

• Ducky97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducky97 triangle
    I feel like I'm getting there, the fire is something I definitely need to work on though.
  • Ducky97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ducky97 triangle
    So in the end, I did 2 renders one in Unreal and the other in Blender. Ropes have always been a nightmare but during this challenge I found a few good ways to do them more efficiently. I also enjoyed trying to simplify the objects more instead of going overly realistic and adding some details with baking high poly props and height/normal maps. This project also helped me get back into sculpting so thanks for that :D

• I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been procrastinating with getting the final renders done. I still have trouble wrapping my head around lighting and presentation - gotta work on that. Actually stuck to the deadline though, even though it's a day away, so I'm happy in that regard. Baby steps towards moving quicker :p 
    Probably could have used more geometry on some of the rounded bits. It's a bit blocky still in some spots - I think maybe I'm worrying way too much about poly counts still for more modern stuff and presentation pieces? I dunno... I tried to be a bit less finicky with this one. Could someone share some advice on that topic? I've taken a long break from 3D stuff and I feel like I'm still kinda working off limited knowledge from 2000-2010, (and also working on a computer from around 2013, so basing performance off those specs lol). This is about 10k tris. Would I be okay with going higher than that if this was meant as more of a first-person piece? What if it was more of an environmental asset? I know it's highly dependent on the type of game / context of the asset, so maybe the question is a bit silly... I guess my question boils down mostly to, is the technology now better to the point that poly counts are of significantly lower concern than they once were? Am I wasting my time by trying to knock down my polys to the absolute minimum? Should I just not worry about the extra 1-2k or whatever triangles and smooth out all the curves and edges?

• Pinkfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox sublime tool
    Hey everyone! It's been great to see all the excellent work on this challenge! It's always great to see the different ways someone can approach the same concept, it gives great insight into ways each of us can improve our own craft. Very well done to all!

For those of you who may still be working, don't be afraid to keep going! Reaching the finish line is the most important part of any project and the skills learned will help you in the future.

With all that out of the way I'm happy to announce the challenge for the months of September and October is now live! Hope to see you all over there. =)