Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• kuronekoshiii
    Offline / Send Message
    kuronekoshiii polycounter lvl 2
    Does anyone know what is the right topology for this one? I just can't seem to get the right one. 
  • FrankPolygon
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    @kuronekoshiii It's generally considered best practice to have enough geometry in the cylinder to be able to use it as support for the intersecting geometry. A few pages back there's a discussion about different topology strategies for that particular shape and how much geometry is enough to minimize smoothing artifacts.

• kuronekoshiii
    Offline / Send Message
    kuronekoshiii polycounter lvl 2
    Million thanks! 
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Kanc3 said:
    Hi all to the master here, I'm pretty new to 3D and I was trying to model a halo battle rifle called BR85HB, and I faced some problem which I don't really know how the topology work at this section because there are like hole etc, wonder if anyone here know how it work for the topology? 

So sometimes when i think something is to advanced, I usually tend to break it up to smaller parts right, Concentrate on on one and slowly work myself on the next piece. When I am done, I try to Merge them together. Try it that way?

Also, try to show your example before posting.
    So I will use photoshop once again.

Two ways to go at least for me. If something is hard I can also use the technique to draw how the edgeflow would go.
    In this case, this piece is rather flat, so should be easy to use ngons and tris everywhere without having issues.

You could either split this up in three pieces and work them out (without adding support loops). Then merge and add the supporting loops.

You can go with the bigger shape to smaller shape workflow.

Primary = Build the shape without adding the bevels, around the shape. KISS (Keep it simple stupid).

Secondary = Now I would add the bevels bigger cut-ins that I know would not work well with floats (or I need a denser shape before adding them). I could also add Support loops in this shape. So it holds when Subdividing once (turbo smoothing).

Tertiary or floaters = With a denser cage, I can now either add my smaller details and merge them to the mesh Or use floaters.

• YMM
    Hello.
    I have something to ask, but in the case of the shape of the image below, where should I put the support edge?
    I plan to apply a subdivision surface to this mesh.
    I feel that the area marked with a red circle is particularly difficult.

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    YMM said:
    Hello.
    I have something to ask, but in the case of the shape of the image below, where should I put the support edge?
    I plan to apply a subdivision surface to this mesh.
    I feel that the area marked with a red circle is particularly difficult.

So The easiest way to test this (because your mesh is fairly simple)
    Is by doubling the density.
    So 8 sides, 16 sides and 32 sides. And see what happens with the mesh. 

Now lets use the Mesh itself to automatically use it as a supporting edge. 
    So I start with a 24 sided mesh this time around, and make sure that my box mesh that intersect with it, Simply is between to edges so I automatically have support edges. 

If you can, always try to use your existing geometry to support the mesh that will intersect. 

PS! the higher the cylinders density is, the tighter the edge can be.
  • YMM
    @wirrexx
    Thank you for giving me a very easy-to-understand explanation.
    It went well.
  • mr3ddesigner
    Hello guys,I'm trying to find a better and faster way to weld multiple vertices at once.It seems to be too time consuming, if they will be welded one by one(software using 3ds Max)

• Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    You can weld all those verts together with one hotkey press :# .

But I assume you want a weld tool that would know what vert you wanted to weld each one to, and looking at the images, you want it to be a target weld and not an averaged weld between the 2 points. In which case, afaik no there is no such tool that would be able to know how to do that.

You could just target weld all those in like 35secs, but maybe you could just bridge that gap instead and delete the extra loop might be faster if there are 30-40 pairs to weld.

• SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    try bridging them and then deleting the extra loop
  • mr3ddesigner
    Ghogiel said:

But I assume you want a weld tool that would know what vert you wanted to weld each one to, and looking at the images, you want it to be a target weld and not an averaged weld between the 2 points. In which case, afaik no there is no such tool that would be able to know how to do that.

You could just target weld all those in like 35secs, but maybe you could just bridge that gap instead and delete the extra loop might be faster if there are 30-40 pairs to weld.

Thank you guys, good suggestion.Actually I know how the bridge tool  works (and will try it later) , but I just wanted any tool or specific method which could be able to target weld multiple vertices at once.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Ghogiel said:

Thank you guys, good suggestion.Actually I know how the bridge tool  works (and will try it later) , but I just wanted any tool or specific method which could be able to target weld multiple vertices at once.
    And selecting all the verts you want to weld and weld by distance does not work?
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    wirrexx said:
    Ghogiel said:

And selecting all the verts you want to weld and weld by distance does not work?

he probably wants to maintain the position of one of the rows of vertices - a global weld value will average their distances and put em in the middle. Target welding is time consuming, but bridging + deleting the loop as mentioned is the way to go here.
  • Filip5
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, here is another piece. I dont want to use smooth modifier afterwards, so this should be final piece. I ma just not quite sure about topology of object and if this is okay.

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Filip5 said:
    Hey guys, here is another piece. I dont want to use smooth modifier afterwards, so this should be final piece. I ma just not quite sure about topology of object and if this is okay.

in general if it smooths good, and you have no visible artifacts, then go ahead, use whatever topology you want.
  • YMM
    Hello.
    I am currently creating an air hole in hard surface modeling.
    I plan to use a subdivision surface.
    The base of the part where the cover is overhanging (the position of the red circle below) is distorted, and it feels strange when exposed to light.
    How should I fix this topology?

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    YMM said:
    Hello.
    The base of the part where the cover is overhanging (the position of the red circle below) is distorted, and it feels strange when exposed to light.
    How should I fix this topology?

helps to show your topology without subdivisions/isoline display
  • YMM
    This is the topology before applying the subdivision surfaces

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Try something like this (remove the edges in yellow)
  • YMM
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    a second way would be to model it similar to how its made.
    these vents are punched out of sheet metal, so you have a "cut" into the material on the sides

• cojoman_
    Offline / Send Message
    cojoman_ polycounter lvl 4
    This was probably asked before, but I couldn't find it. How would you model this in one piece? The grip points or whatever they are called are giving me a hard time.

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Often the easiest solution for simple shapes but small details, use a ton of geometry for the basic shapes. Enough so that those grips can just be extruded out.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator

make use of radial symmetry, so you only have to model 1/16th of the thing

• cojoman_
    Offline / Send Message
    cojoman_ polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks! I'll try this. I went for a similar approach but your result is way more smooth and clean.
  • Kanc3
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanc3 polycounter lvl 2
    wirrexx said:
    Kanc3 said:
    Hi all to the master here, I'm pretty new to 3D and I was trying to model a halo battle rifle called BR85HB, and I faced some problem which I don't really know how the topology work at this section because there are like hole etc, wonder if anyone here know how it work for the topology? 

So sometimes when i think something is to advanced, I usually tend to break it up to smaller parts right, Concentrate on on one and slowly work myself on the next piece. When I am done, I try to Merge them together. Try it that way?

Also, try to show your example before posting.
    So I will use photoshop once again.

Two ways to go at least for me. If something is hard I can also use the technique to draw how the edgeflow would go.
    In this case, this piece is rather flat, so should be easy to use ngons and tris everywhere without having issues.

You could either split this up in three pieces and work them out (without adding support loops). Then merge and add the supporting loops.

You can go with the bigger shape to smaller shape workflow.

Primary = Build the shape without adding the bevels, around the shape. KISS (Keep it simple stupid).

Secondary = Now I would add the bevels bigger cut-ins that I know would not work well with floats (or I need a denser shape before adding them). I could also add Support loops in this shape. So it holds when Subdividing once (turbo smoothing).

Tertiary or floaters = With a denser cage, I can now either add my smaller details and merge them to the mesh Or use floaters.

Hi sorry for a late reply was busy about assignment but truly thank you so much for the explanation!
  • Mir76
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir76 polycounter lvl 3
    With 3dsMax I drew a line that turns (I used the Line tool). The only problem is that the final shape is not straight anymore. How can I do it?
    The angle of the shape is turned. How to solve this problem? Thank you.

I would like to do this shape.

• wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    YMM said:
    Hello.
    How should I fix this topology
    Mir76 said:
    With 3dsMax I drew a line that turns (I used the Line tool). The only problem is that the final shape is not straight anymore. How can I do it?

I would like to do this shape.

Let me be honest, atleast from my point of view. The shape you are showing and the shape on the picture under, does not make sense for me. any better picture? Cause from the references picture, it seems like a flat face. nothing else.
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    possibly an optimization exercise into lines and/or splines, otherwise I'm stumped as well? 

moar info please!
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    wirrexx said:
    YMM said:
    Hello.
    How should I fix this topology
    Mir76 said:

Let me be honest, atleast from my point of view. The shape you are showing and the shape on the picture under, does not make sense for me. any better picture? Cause from the references picture, it seems like a flat face. nothing else.

phew, i thought i was going stupid
    this is what your shape looks like from the photo, maybe the bottom part has a slight curve to it which i didnt model in

• Mir76
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir76 polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the help. The problem is only the extrusion of the Line tool. As soon as you make a change of direction the extrusion is not straight. Example in video :
    https://youtu.be/eHL7pa66J84

While on the photo the small wall does not change direction.

I would like this kind of shape :

Sorry, if this is not understandable.

I would like to reproduce this shape :

I did this :

• Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Mir76 said:
    Thanks for the help. The problem is only the extrusion of the Line tool. As soon as you make a change of direction the extrusion is not straight. Example in video :
    https://youtu.be/eHL7pa66J84

While on the photo the small wall does not change direction.

I would like this kind of shape :

Sorry, if this is not understandable.

I would like to reproduce this shape :

I did this :

bezier curves could probably rotate that area, haven't used line tool for this sorta situation. Most control/predictability is to just get a flat polygon and apply a shell modifier. Edit the bottom of the stack with preview on to ensure you're getting your result. Shift drag the edge to get more geometry and move it into place. For the problematic part you're highlighting, you could simply just grab the corner vertice of the polygon and adjust it on the z-axis to get that rotation.
  • Mir76
    Offline / Send Message
    Mir76 polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you.
    I did your technique by doing a Shell, an alignment of some parts and several chamfer. I was curious to see if there was another technique. Because it's not very practical anyway. I would have liked more customization in the Line tool. It's a pity. Thank you so much !

• BlueBow131
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueBow131 polycounter lvl 5
    How would I go about modeling this chain? i already have a link model and can make a basic link chain but how do I make it twisted like this?
  • Cake_Seller
    Offline / Send Message
    Cake_Seller polygon
    How would I go about modeling this chain? i already have a link model and can make a basic link chain but how do I make it twisted like this?
    What software are you using?
  • BlueBow131
    Offline / Send Message
    BlueBow131 polycounter lvl 5
    What software are you using?
    oh yea i forgot to specify. Im using Blender for this.
  • Cake_Seller
    Offline / Send Message
    Cake_Seller polygon
    @BlueBow131 I suppose Array Modifier with Object Offset option is the way to go.

https://youtu.be/ydWx28a0VvQ?t=155

Basically, you will need to fiddle around with the link shape and Empty object offset and rotation.
    If after watching this video you will have questions feel free to ask.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    For jewelry see if you can figure out the name of the type of chain, and then find a youtube video of it being made or repaired. That way you can see what one link looks like and how it's twisted.  Personally for this chain, I'd probably bake it to a double helix looking shape with 2 cylinders, make it tile, and then I'd have a simple piece of geo I could then work with. 
  • Cake_Seller
    Offline / Send Message
    Cake_Seller polygon
    ZacD said:
    I'd probably bake it to a double helix looking shape with 2 cylinders
    Could you please elaborate? It seems like good advice which I'm struggling to understand due to small experience in 3D modeling 🙂
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If it's a small enough detail, you probably just want to bake it to a plane. 
  • MrCreamy
    Offline / Send Message
    MrCreamy polycounter lvl 2

Trying to model a simple folding box as a single piece

My current result is more or less adequate with regards to the shape I want, but it does have some apparent issues.

The process for modeling this was a bit odd in that I created an SVG in Illustrator in order to better control proportions, but I adhered pretty strictly with the geometry that came out of converting from SVG to a workable mesh.

• SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator

looks like double vertices in the corner

check your geo and merge vertices by distance

• kyleb

I am looking to try and do a leather strap around my object, however, I'm having some real trouble with it. This is the best I've got so far and it's by doing it manually with a plane with a solidify & sub-d modifier on it.

The second one is what I'm trying to do, I've tried doing a shrink-wrap on the plane however it comes out looking like this

I have no clue how to fix it, I'm completely stuck on how to do this at this point and get it to look good. Would love to be pointed in the right direction! Thank you! P.S I'm using blender.

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5

this upper image, this is what i got as a base

when I apply crease on the hard edges I got a pinching and I don't know how to overcome those (see below):

I would be happy if anyone can give me an advice, thank you

• KebabEmperor
    Offline / Send Message
    KebabEmperor polycounter lvl 3

This kind of topology layout might help you:

When doing the cut, try to land your boolean shape between the edges, this way you won't disturb the edges that define the shape.

This will work with creases too:

I better not use imgur next time...

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5

oh that is awesome thanks a lot Yusuf

• Cake_Seller
    Offline / Send Message
    Cake_Seller polygon

Take a look at this, maybe it will help:

From this point, you will need to add another strap that goes spiral in opposite direction.

Also, you will have to apply some of the strap's modifiers to wrap the strap around axe's head.

Hope that will help.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

@KebabEmperor

Correct! not only how but more importantly the WHY particularly when modeling curved surfaces, once a subd algorithm is applied

• Kanc3
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanc3 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi everyone I'm trying to model something from this reference art in maya.
    And I have some topology problem where I suppose it goes somewhere wrong and can be simplified also not sure about how do get those sharp edge with subdiv as well.
    Smooth preview in maya (2 times subdiv)

Anyone here know how do I can make it with better topology and better result? Thanks in advance
  • Aurock
    Offline / Send Message
    Aurock polycounter lvl 9

Hi all, CAD guy here learning some Blender.

Is there a nice way to have two circular bevels of different sizes meet and intersect in such a way that circularity is preserved? As in this CAD image below:

Using the bevel tool with different bevel weights doesn't work - the tool forces the bevels to use the same end vertices, so the different bevel weight seems to force non-circularity on the bevels:

Doing one bevel first results in the second bevel being way off:

The only solution I've found is to use a boolean cut, but it seems like a lot of work:

Is this a situation where the answer is 'why are you even doing that'?

The background is that I thought I'd try to do a simple base mesh of an old DMG-01 Gameboy as a learner project but the different sized bevels are key to the form.