Home General Discussion

What made you feel crap today?

Replies

• SeekeroflLight
    Offline / Send Message
    SeekeroflLight polycounter lvl 4
    @sacboi
    that is some devastating shit there, stay safe, saw this on the news this morning... absolutely devastating 
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @sacboi damn, sorry to hear that man. my wife is aussie and her whole family is out there. looking like her grandma might have to evacuate soon (lives near Adelong). What an absolute shit show that has been allowed to fester in one of the most beautiful countries. Take care of yourself
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Hey @Taylor Brown thanks mate, hope your wife's grandma stays safe, my thoughts go out too her and local community.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Any cool nerds looking for a cool place to live in L.A. or know any cool nerds looking for a cool place to live in L.A.? I've had three new roommates (all off Craigslist) in the time span of two months whom all turned out to be...less-than-ideal humans, with a touch of crazy, after they moved in. The third one didn't even live here for 24 hours when I came home from work tonight to find her in full-on meltdown mode and moving her stuff out in a very hysteric fashion over some personal matter she was going through. It was rather a bit...surreal, if'n I do say. I've never experienced problems with people like the ones I have lately and am starting to feel utterly defeated as I continue to try and find my bearings in this weird California place. Today feels real crap, man. Real crap. At least the food is good out here.
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Spag_Eddy said:
    Any cool nerds looking for a cool place to live in L.A. or know any cool nerds looking for a cool place to live in L.A.? I've had three new roommates (all off Craigslist) in the time span of two months whom all turned out to be...less-than-ideal humans, with a touch of crazy, after they moved in. The third one didn't even live here for 24 hours when I came home from work tonight to find her in full-on meltdown mode and moving her stuff out in a very hysteric fashion over some personal matter she was going through. It was rather a bit...surreal, if'n I do say. I've never experienced problems with people like the ones I have lately and am starting to feel utterly defeated as I continue to try and find my bearings in this weird California place. Today feels real crap, man. Real crap. At least the food is good out here.
    What's the rent like where you live?
    Probably better to get roommates closer to people you know, so more accountable.
    Or move into a place with less roommates? 
  • Spag_Eddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    I don't yet really know anyone out here, though trust me, I've tried to charm friends back home to move out here with me. No luck thus far lol.

And it's just a one-roommate situation. Problem is, the roommate moves in, seems cool at first, but then they keep turning crazy and inevitably flaking out on the lease with no notice, and they all have given super weird reasons for it. I'm a pretty clean, quiet, easy-going dude who mostly keeps to himself and have never had problems with people before. The whole situation is a complete enigma to me.

It's in an old, historic home in West Hollywood owned (and previously lived in for many years until recently) by an actress who is known for doing many horror movies dating back to the 80's. These two factors are clear proof that the house is obviously haunted, and there is clearly a great evil in that bedroom that is driving people to madness.

There's no other explanation.
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Spag_Eddy said:
    I don't yet really know anyone out here, though trust me, I've tried to charm friends back home to move out here with me. No luck thus far lol.

And it's just a one-roommate situation. Problem is, the roommate moves in, seems cool at first, but then they keep turning crazy and inevitably flaking out on the lease with no notice, and they all have given super weird reasons for it. I'm a pretty clean, quiet, easy-going dude who mostly keeps to himself and have never had problems with people before. The whole situation is a complete enigma to me.

It's in an old, historic home in West Hollywood owned (and previously lived in for many years until recently) by an actress who is known for doing many horror movies dating back to the 80's. These two factors are clear proof that the house is obviously haunted, and there is clearly a great evil in that bedroom that is driving people to madness.

There's no other explanation.
    lol, its either the ghost of hollywoods past, or the extremely high rents the region commands that's driving people up the wall.
    The lease ought to keep things under control. While there are certain situations that are unforseen, maybe its time to move past room-mate living and budget for a place with fewer roommates if you can manage on what you're making right now work wise.

Really helps to get good at budgeting, but then again rents in some cities really are unforgiving.

The best roommates I've found are usually working professionals and students in more run of the mill careers like finance, nursing.etc
    It also helps if they aren't party animals (unless you're also into that sort of thing.  
    Ulimately helps to have some interests that are similar, then again you can have totally isolated lifestyles and its possible to make it work provided you can get along in common areas.

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Taylor Brown said:

What an absolute shit show that has been allowed to fester in one of the most beautiful countries.

Appreciate the sentiment and 100% agree with. This nation wide tragedy is basically an inter departmental cluster fuck made manifest as to why these monstrous sized bush fires were allowed to occur in the first place. There are numerous harrowing stories of survivors mainly farmers that chose to remain behind defending their properties and livestock, with some admitting apologetically on camera that they'd breached legislation introduced after the '2009 Black Saturday' fires, killing 183, forbidding "unauthorised" land clearance because quite simply had known since July 2019 when the first instances of these fires initially ignited, what was coming, I mean as early as September Prime Minister Scott Morrison's Liberal Conservative Government ignored a warning by combined Country and Rural Fire Authorities of every Australian State and Territory confronting an impending disaster if nothing was done or at the very least revisit evacuation plans for those areas forecasted to be impacted by fire, which sadly eventuated beyond anything imagined at that time.

But jesus-h-christ what I find really irksome about this whole fuckin mess, is that Morrison heralded his return, cutting short a Hawaiian  family holiday by one FUCKING DAY! returning home 'appearing' to take charge however a public outcry probably had more than something to do with it, and subsequently lurching from one misshap/step to the next (...sorry for swearing, emotional I guess) Anyway it's been 2 weeks since new years eve when everything kicked off and the situation remains bleak. Here in Victoria, after a brief spell of mild cool weather, which helped a bit but not enough to make any determinable difference on the the major fire grounds in East Gippsland. We're currently living like troglodytes, staying indoors due to smoke haze blanketing the entire State, with an unenviable title of having the most polluted air quality on earth also bearing in mind these mega fires are roughly situated 400km North East from Melbourne. I say MEGA! because one of them tagged the "Border Fire" linked up with another in New South Wales and now covers a total area of 1.2 million hectares, 600,000 of which is burning in Victoria alone:

Updated: 16/01/2020 00.45am (local)

Shot a few pics on my mobile at work, through Monday night and early Tuesday morning, just to give some first hand purview of what we're facing, hundreds of kilometers from the fire grounds:

Sobering to think we're only half way through the annual fire season, lasting 3-4 months all Summer long - December, January, February and well into March plus in real terms the overall cost so far makes for truly appalling reading:

- Estimated 18.6 million hectares (46 million acres; 186,000 square kilometers; 72,000 square miles) burnt
    - Destroyed 5,900 buildings (including over 2,204 homes)
    - Killed at least 29 people
    - 100,000 people, to date evacuated across Australia 
    - Some updated estimates put the staggering figure of 1 billion animals perishing in these fires (...for me as a self professed environmentalist, a fucking heart breaking statistic, on top of everything else)

...so at the moment, it would seem, that Australia is becoming the World's 'Yellow Canary' forewarning of horrific shit too come as the Planet continues to warm up.

EDIT:
    I hope your Wife's Grandmother made it out of the Adelong area, OK?
    ______________________________________________________________________________

As I feared, after 2 weeks living under a Statewide bushfire emergency, fire has finally reared it's ugly head in my neck of the woods. Barely a two kilometers off shore east of my home town, Hastings. A fire alert is currently in place at Tankerton located on French Island, thankfully well contained for the time being but nonetheless a stark reminder what could eventuate here on the Mornington Peninsula given recent ongoing catastrophic events unfolding over the State's South East Region.

Updated: 19/01/2020 16:09pm (local)

Fingers crossed, that's the first and hopefully only instance of fire, where I live this season... 
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Updated: 31/01/2020 16.45am (local)

Well folks, the weather over the last couple of weeks has been truly biblical, in every sense of the word. Here in Melbourne as well as most of the south eastern seaboard are experiencing 40°C+

heat, on top of extremely high humidity due too RAIN falling outside my window?!. So I'm
    typing whilst sweat is bucketing off me plus we're in for a "mud rain" sodden band of storms which will sweep through the state tomorrow morning. Sadly the cost of this fire season climbs ever higher, the National Capital Territory has declared a national fire emergency, the first in 17yrs when 2003 fires ripped through surrounding suburbs, killing 4 and destroying hundreds of homes:

Also it's been a week since an American chartered C130 water tanker crashed killing all aboard while engaged in firefighting duties, a terrible tragedy felt by the Nation as a whole, a selfless sacrifice and an unpayable debt owed too these brave men. 
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @sacboi thank you for asking, she did make it out in time and eventually was able to return after winds shifted. 

ScoMo is a grub. I wish Australia could get it together, shrug off Rupert Murdoch's grip and get a competent gov't in soon that treats that land with the respect it deserves. Its been too long. Suppose that applies to a lot of the western world right now.
  • Panupat
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Realizing I have to move my daughter away from a very good school because we cannot afford 2 kids going there :( If I only have 1 daughter she could continue... but my wif e wanted a sibling for her. So here we are.

In 6 months this will need to happen.
  • SeekeroflLight
    Offline / Send Message
    SeekeroflLight polycounter lvl 4
    I never thought I would be posting in this thread as I try to keep positive, but today is the most shity of days having to put down my cat due to medical complications. He was young, only 5 years old, and would give high fives for food. He was a good boy and I'm going to miss him.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Another day, another presidential candidate taking shots at video games for gun violence in the US. I just want to make art man...
  • milleymajlak
    I had some issue with my boyfriend we fought he ignored me for quite sometime. I went back to thinking why we don't talk normally any more?
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
  • 62_5MHz
    Offline / Send Message
    62_5MHz polycounter lvl 6
    Hi everyone.
    I always spend a lot of time on my models, most of this time trying to solve pinching issues and today was no different. I am really frustrated and considering giving up on 3D modeling since the feeling of being ocdish and having lack of effectiveness is crushing me. :( 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Feel like crap that it's devolved to conspiracy theories and the inevitable circular arguments. Deleted.

Sorry dudes, Polycount is not your blog. 

We allow a few off-topic threads like this as a relief valve. We get it, it's a community, you want to connect with peers. Just don't abuse it, m'kay?

Take that crap to reddit :)
  • fdfxd2
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    I bombed my first interview :(
  • Eric Chadwick
    Bah! Hate when that happens. Hopefully though it's a learning experience, and you can use it to ace the next one.

Sometimes too it's not a good fit for you anyhow. I've conducted interviews where the applicant was so nervous they tripped over themselves, but in the end they got the job because I had enough experience in hiring that I could see through to their latent ability underneath the temporary communication difficulty. So don't beat yourself up too much over this, it could be they just suck at interviewing (and so, maybe points to deeper institutional problems with the company).
  • wirrexx
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Corona.. Corona made me feel like crap today. Headaches, pain in Joints, and this for weeeeeks. Can't concentrate, can't sit and can't work. There are days where i feel really good. And those are rare. Trying to finish of a portfolio piece, but i get dizzy and sick. And i hate it. Started to properly learn Substance DEsigner, but can't even start the program without feeling :s
  • Eric Chadwick
    I want to support you with a + =) but don't wanna make light of it. FML. 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    +1
    What Eric said.
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
    realizing that unreal engine won't start anymore, so I have to reinstall it, even though I was so close to finishing another portfolio piece  :/
  • wirrexx
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    realizing that unreal engine won't start anymore, so I have to reinstall it, even though I was so close to finishing another portfolio piece  :/

This is a normal problem for me, I always have to log in twice. Start Epic, close it, right click start as admin and log in.. everytime. It's such a pain in the ass.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    wirrexx said:

This is a normal problem for me, I always have to log in twice. Start Epic, close it, right click start as admin and log in.. everytime. It's such a pain in the ass.
    you can open projects without opening the epic launcher.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    general apathy, can't seem to focus on any one project at the moment. At least mc donalds is open again :)
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    This covid crisis is interminable.

We're on the brink of a second wave here in Melbourne, due mainly too irresponsible behavior of a few fuck-wits, the result of which State borders will remain closed well into the foreseeable future on top of sealing 1 million Victorians within 40 individual municipalities...MOFO! an absolute kick in the guts.

...for me at least, 2020 will turn out to be a most forgettable year for a shit-ton of reasons
  • wirrexx
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    What made me feel crap today, I usually don't feel crap. But my daughter just saw an old picture of me and said "you used to be very handsome" and look up to me and say "now you are fat" .. Well it made me laugh, but it really hurt on the inside, how evil can 2-year-olds be. But it will be my motivation to lose weight. I used to be 70 Kg (154 pounds) (and did a lot of sports) now I've become a couch potato and almost 100 kg (220 pounds).

• wirrexx
    Online / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    sacboi said:
    This covid crisis is interminable.

We're on the brink of a second wave here in Melbourne, due mainly too irresponsible behavior of a few fuck-wits, the result of which State borders will remain closed well into the foreseeable future on top of sealing 1 million Victorians within 40 individual municipalities...MOFO! an absolute kick in the guts.

...for me at least, 2020 will turn out to be a most forgettable year for a shit-ton of reasons

That sucks ass man, I hear you.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    wirrexx said:
     100 kg (220 pounds).

@w@wirrexx : go paleo for a little while any change in your current habits will help you.  Jog any amount of distance and if you want increase the distance each month.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    neighbour leavng his dog alone all day. poor things been whining since 7am
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    High density housing blocks, likened too 'Vertical Cruise Ships' well at least the doors haven't been welded shut...yet!
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Sent a bunch of my songs out to a lot of Spotify curators via SubmitHub, every single one got declined. It isn't as bad as it seems though; I have a bunch of friends who are in pretty cool bands who also get declined a lot on that site.
    I painted today and it looked like a child's painting.
    I was also really hung over today.

@Ruz Dude a house a couple down from mine has a dog in the yard that barks so frequently throughout the day. I kinda want to go over there and tell them to give their dog more attention.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    ArtStation's "update" for exploring art isn't any better than it was. Especially I'm missing the "refresh" button to quickly switch (shuffle) artwork under certain categories and tags to get something new to see. Now it's just static, like "here's 26 artworks (9x3 rows), and that's it". For example, I'm mostly looking for character artworks under "Character Modeling", and "3D digital".

EDIT: Dumb me, there was an "Explore" button to reveal the good'n old "Community" tab with a refresh icon...

EDIT 2: Oh wait, I can't access "Refreshable Community" tab with specific categories though, so my points still stands.
  • zachagreg
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Yea its not good, too many drop downs and options, the explore button doesn't even seem to work still shows tags in the areas that are not followed when hitting explore button, both on trending and community. There is a refresh button but it doesn't work haha. Strange update indeed
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    This new shit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXUEYY_i0o

... been eating meat for 3 years everyday not a single issue... never felt better.  Won't say what else i am doing but 99% of what i eat is from animals.  What they are proposing will make you all sick i know cause I've been studying food for 10+ years, the effects on my body and all that, yea not everyone is the same but we have the same systems.  Anyone against this post, i leave your own assumptions to make up your own mind.  This is not quackadoodle bs, especially if they are pushing this shit.
  • sacboi
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I've been working on 5 art tests back to back since early to mid October, and I'm finally getting decisions back regarding 4 of them.  Some of them I had full interviews with, others no.  4 of them have been rejections.  All opportunities of drastically different scales and creative possibility, with some people I would not have thought I'd be in conversational distance with at all. Now I'm just left with one. This was all while working one full time job and another part time one.

My fear into this was I wasn't going to have a choice by the end of this, and it's coming to pass.

I'm tired and emotionally exhausted, which is just undirected anger usually.

I've got one last interview.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I've been working on 5 art tests back to back since early to mid October, and I'm finally getting decisions back regarding 4 of them.  Some of them I had full interviews with, others no.  4 of them have been rejections.  All opportunities of drastically different scales and creative possibility, with some people I would not have thought I'd be in conversational distance with at all. Now I'm just left with one. This was all while working one full time job and another part time one.

My fear into this was I wasn't going to have a choice by the end of this, and it's coming to pass.

Standing up to my moral compass and not allowing my son to play Batman Arkham Knight.

Hi, sorry to hear that! come to the UK there is so much work going on at the moment and with your talent you won't need an art test. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @littleclaude
    Definitely sent some stuff out to Blazin Griffin, Splash Damage, etc.  I have a feeling I'd enjoy and have a lot to give back to the English.

I would have visited last Neil last year if I didn't need to peel off towards Glasgow for some bagpipes stuff.  HOpefully next time I can visit, I can send the heads up and see if there's anything I can help out with.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth

I know everything is terrible right now and life feels hopeless at times, I'm sure many of us can relate, but hang in there homie. You're talented as hell and someone I've admired and looked up to in the few short years I've been here on this Polycount thingy. I've no doubt that talent is going to continue taking you places once these shit times come to pass. Just gotta stay positive, keep fighting, and don't ever stop being your badass awesome self! I'm rooting for ya!
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

facebook u suck!

Image result for facebook unlike icon

C'mon zuckerberg, rein in the fiscal wankery, surely yer bank balance can take a hit or two when people here especially those that rely on the platform during covid are able too access up-to-date reliable and creditable news particularly if snap lock-downs are in place. 
  • ShifflettArt
    Offline / Send Message
    ShifflettArt polycounter lvl 2
    Being back at my fulltime job when I'd rather be home making 3d models. Was out for 2 months due to an illness and subsequent surgery.  Despite those issues I enjoyed the time I had and didn't want to waste it. Now my time is limited again but I'm pushing on.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ran out of digestive biscuits, had to make do with custard creams sigh
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    sitting up til 2 am drinking probably contributed to how crap i felt this morning ...  
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    This afternoon, watched a free-to-air TV program narrated by Sir David Attenborough, about extinction.

fuckin makes one want too puke...forever!

CORONA VIRUS PANDEMIC shit just insert HUMAN into that muthafucker

jesus-h-christ at this rate highly unlikely the world as a whole will emerge unscathed at the end of the current decade, alone...?!  
  • Deborah_Flannagan
    It was too complicated big and useless homework from philosophy professor. I study game design, why do I need philosophy?

• jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Just because something isn't directly relevant to your major doesn't mean it's not useful. Keep an open mind. There is always benefit in learning even if it seems unrelated to your goals right now. I can see how philosophy could be a beneficial ancillary area of study for game design. 

It makes me sad that our society focuses only on the economic outcome of a degree. A bachelors degree used to be just as much about becoming a well informed, well rounded citizen as much as it did becoming a professional in a given field. Unfortunately college has become so expensive that we can only see it's value in how much money said degree will allow us to earn.   
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    someone took the last 'magnum classic' from the fridge, might have been me , but not sure

• Eric Chadwick
    goddamnit ruz, you had one job!
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    My cat got very sick. She has to be taken to the vet every day until she gets better because I can't do the treatment alone because its painful for her.  Poor little animal. My hearts breaking man. :'(