Home Coding, Scripting, Shaders

Tech Artist - What are you working on: FOREVER Edition!

Replies

• V!nc3r
    Offline / Send Message
    V!nc3r polycounter lvl 5
    First post in this thread, 'will look like a n00b among all these wonderfull addon/scripts =)

Do you all go into coding sessions during your spare time? I do (very rarely during work, even if I use my personnals scripts every day), and because of that, I don't code enough to get a quick & fast addon development.

So, that's said, here a... Polycount addon for Blender (2.8):
    As readme says, areas are in m², and vertex count is not enough precise (a sharped cube will get the same vertex count than a smoothed one, for now).

Maybe some guys here are using glTF? Here my addon relative to it, with some tiny function more generally realtime oriented (the current addon name isn't suitable - it's using my portfolio name -, I have to change it, and probably even rename the github repo, but, until I do that):

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm Polycount Sponsor
    Cool, where do you go to learn blender scripting, is it written in Python? I'm learning mel myself and developing small Maya tools, looking to move into Python after I have a good grasp at mel scripting, still lots to learn with each new project. No coding experience here, just learning at my own pace from forums and tutorials online.
  • V!nc3r
    Offline / Send Message
    V!nc3r polycounter lvl 5
    Yep it's Python (which I've discovered through Blender). Actually firsts scripts on Blender are very easy to write, as all python commands are accessible through right click on UI and/or console, you can barely sometimes just copy-paste and click Run. Things gets a lot harder when you have to create an UI, do non-visual & advanced functions, navigate and understand the Blender Python API, etc.

Some website are very great to learn programming basics (like codecademy for example).
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds exactly like how I'm learning to create scripts for Maya. Thanks for the info I'll check it out in the future.
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk polycounter lvl 4
  • Vendetti
    Offline / Send Message
    Vendetti polycounter lvl 7
    Klunk said:
    the above code led me to revisit my cookie cutter code (trying to use max's editable poly cut routines was a fools errand, quite frankly it's a flakey load of rubbish). Anyway it's always easier creating new mesh from scratch so I delete the underlying in mesh and then fill in the holes.

this is so amazing! please tell me you make this avaiable online
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk polycounter lvl 4
    my head hurts

it's a long way from release but will probably looking for beta testers who don't mind their max being fried ;)

• Vendetti
    Offline / Send Message
    Vendetti polycounter lvl 7
    Klunk said:
    my head hurts

it's a long way from release but will probably looking for beta testers who don't mind their max being fried ;)

count me in :D
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe quad damage
    I'm in too.  I regularly fry max myself 

• Machiavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Machiavelli polycounter lvl 5
    This is so effective!!! Love it!
  • Klunk
    Offline / Send Message
    Klunk polycounter lvl 4
    playing with some curve fitting

convert the default bezier "e" into 105 points then back to  an 11 knot bezier shape
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 9
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe quad damage
    I started mucking around with the openLock system for 3d printing environments for miniatures and got hacked off looking for components so I knocked up a little asset browser that xrefs things into your scene from a dotnet list view.

It's not a general asset browsing solution but it's pretty simple and has saved me a lot of fannying about - if anyone wants the code to use as a jumping off point they're welcome to it

• Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 9
    Got the snap kinda working.

• sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 10
    Working on a cliff generator in Houdini. Highpoly is getting close to being done. On to creating a nice setup in Unreal. 

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks pretty good, will it do other types of rock or just this one style?
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    kritskiy polycounter lvl 6
    Working on a Photoshop extension that allows loading selections from layers, channels and ID maps:

• d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 12
    @kritskiy - love the idea man. great job!
    @sltrOlsson - thank you for the breakdown. looks good

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what I really need in Photoshop, a way to take my selection from one layer and put it on a new layer and then delete my selection from the old layer. Basically extract the data on to a new layer. I use the j key to do this currently and it's annoying because the selection goes missing, also I tried ctrl + x for cut, but that also loses the selection and then you have to use some mumbo jump key combination to paste it onto the new layer and it never lines up in the right spot.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 10
    @Malcom Isnt that what Shift + Ctrl + J does? Supposed to create a new layer from selection using cut. It doesnt keep the selection though unless I read that wrong. 
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god you just changed my life! Thank you this is the best!
  • Jukov.CG
    Offline / Send Message
    Jukov.CG greentooth
    This is the script for Maya that makes it easier to select edges for sewing shells in the UV Editor. Just select one edge and run the script. The algorithm will find and select the edges required to sew the shell regarding to this edge. Also there is the second mode that at once sews shells together. To make it more comfortable I'd recommend to apply the hotkey to the script.
    More information in my Scriptbook

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff, what's pymel I've seen the word around for a while but I'm not sure the definition. I'm still learning and just writing everything in mel so far, will start to integrate python as a get better.
  • Jukov.CG
    Offline / Send Message
    Jukov.CG greentooth
    malcolm, thank you =)Pymel is very handy as you work not with strings like in mel but with objects. It gives many benefits. However, if you have to process large amount of data, then you’d better learn Maya Python API for fast working of a script. As to me it’s not so handy but fast.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe quad damage
    yeah pymel is a wrapper to maya.cmds that makes it less utterly fucking horrendous to write code for.  

it is slower but if you're really bothered about speed you want to be poking openMaya instead cos the basic python stuff is still slow as shite.

• malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, good to know. I'll be in mel I think for a couple years, still learning the basics and teaching myself as I go.