Home Technical Talk

Position Copy / Paste Toolkit for 3DSMAX

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
I just published a script for the first time on Gumroad! It's not really flashy, but I think it can be quite useful.
It's free (pay what you want), so if it looks interesting to you give it a shot! I'd love to hear any feedback you guys may have :)

https://gumroad.com/l/uFUJK

-----

The script is basically a set of tools that lets you copy positions from one selection to another. You can set both copy and paste to their own hotkeys if you want to make things quicker. The script comes with a user interface that lets you choose a bunch of options, such as if you want to paste positions by index (for morph targets), copy / instance the selected objects to all of the copied positions, move whatever is selected to the nearest copied position, etc.

Anyway, here's a video giving a brief overview of the features:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc0iEEu2qao

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Will check it out, thank you!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    cptSwing said:
    Will check it out, thank you!
    Actually used it for the first time just now, shame on me. Will there be an upgrade for rotational values at any point in the future? :3
  • chegr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I had so much hopes for this, and it works, in 3dS Max 2022, for Editable Poly.

But for some reasons it does not work for Editable Spline, I can’t snap points to integers :(

@PolyHertz, what could go wrong?

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@chegr I didn't add Spline support to the toolset due to a bug in Max that Autodesk never fixed, where basically any action done to a spline via script wont be undoable (the undo stack treats it like it never happened). I could get around this by replacing the entire spline object for each change that's made, but then we run into potential problems when copying over the modifier stack and reconnecting any instanced splines to it. This is also why there are very few spline based scripts out there in general, and the ones that do exist are mostly paid C++ based addons.

If Autodesk ever fixes this, I'll gladly add spline support, but atm I just haven't found a good way to work around the issue.

EDIT: This bug does exist, but otherwise the post is wrong! See follow up post below!

• chegr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@PolyHertz, thanks for the clarification. I have doubts Autodesk is going to fix anything like this, because big corporations rarely care about small issues. At least now I know that the script is not broken.

The Gumroad page however says this:

'The script supports copying and pasting from: Editable Poly, Editable Mesh, Editable Spline...'

That's why I was sure it can operate with splines.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@chegr Well this is embarrassing, I actually did add spline support and completely forgot! In fact I even showed it off in the tutorial video! Only been a bit over 2 years since I wrote it but guess that's all it takes to start forgetting important details. Sorry about that.

Just fyi it does use the system I mentioned before though so it doesn't work correctly with instanced splines.

Anyhow, I just tested it in Max 2022 and didn't run into any issues. Made sure to test the "snap to closest" feature to for snapping to integers, since that was what it sounded like you wanted to use it for, but that worked fine too. So I'm really not sure why it wouldn't be working for you. Is it giving any errors, or if not could you provide a video and/or example scene where this is happening?