Home Stickies

What are you working on 2D? 2019!

admin
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
System admin
This is a thread to share your latest 2D work. Past threads: 201520162017, 2018
  • 1 embed maximum (1 image, or 1 video, etc.)
  • Anim GIFs must be less than 2 mb
  • Externally-hosted images must be less than 500 kb
  • Uploaded images must not exceed 1000 pixels in any dimension
  • Don't upload PNG, use JPG
  • Breaking these rules may cause merciless editing by a Moderator
Why these rules? See WAYWO Usage
Moderator note:if you want a higher chance for being front-paged, make a topic and include the link in your reply.

Replies

• sudhanl
    Offline / Send Message
    sudhanl greentooth

sketch_010119

"Basking."
    Here's to XX19! ^-^
  • JoshMatamoros
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshMatamoros triangle
    the last sketch of 2018 a Dragon pug :)
  • JoshMatamoros
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshMatamoros triangle
    and my drawing for the holydays last year
  • hendrix
    Offline / Send Message
    hendrix polycounter lvl 11

L1A1 Self Loading Rifle. 

Vector based Artwork made in Adobe Illustrator. 

I made it editable in that if I need to, I can swap the sights, magazine, sling etc. 

Below is my Illustrator workstation - Im not big on fixed pallets as I like to fiddle around as much as possible. 

• Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Female head studies

• sudhanl
    Offline / Send Message
    sudhanl greentooth

sketch_040119
    "Well...I guess you could come home with me..."
  • evelynSoa
    Offline / Send Message
    evelynSoa polycounter lvl 6
    Texture practice. :smile:
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Sikorsky Super Stallion

• Rav3
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    Didn't manage to finish, this time and box of paints going to stay in another country :(

• Motsar
  • aladosha
  • Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Motsar said:
    love the color palette. reminds me of cod 2 but the sherman tank is missing :wink:
  • BobbyRebholz
  • EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Lots of great work here! Keep it going, folks :)

• Jahimbo
  • beccatherose
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
  • sudhanl
    Offline / Send Message
    sudhanl greentooth

A'righty then, here's to this year's zodiac animal! ^-^
    Happy Year Of the Pig! [2019]
  • evelynSoa
  • Stinger88
  • Kessler
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    Testing Forger and Procreate workflow on iPad.  

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zA5LOD
  • Kessler
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    Testing Shapr3D and Procreate workflow in iPad. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qA2G9R

• EricElwell
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Great stuff as always @EricElwell.

Latest Piece ready for a frame. Nakano Tokyo in 2007. More shots on my artstation.

• Shatunov
    Hey guys, Im new here! working on concepts! 
  • Jamie!
    Offline / Send Message
    Jamie! polycounter lvl 7
    Trying to do more environment work lately.

• EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stinger88 Thanks! These pen drawings from you are really strong! I'm loving them

Here's some more tank stuff... still chipping away at this project in my free time:

• Bongane_Prince
    Offline / Send Message
    Bongane_Prince polycounter lvl 5
    Working on my Ronin Project 

• vladmart
  • EricElwell
  • JoshMatamoros
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshMatamoros triangle
    A personal challenge in which I have been working
  • EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    @JoshMatamoros nice! I want to see more of this :)

More tank stuff... churning away:

• EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh you guessed it: more tanks.

• Sevans
    Offline / Send Message
    Sevans polycounter lvl 4
  • ocarian
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Little character sketches :) 

• Danbee360
  • Meliodas_draws
    Offline / Send Message
    Meliodas_draws triangle
    Hi I am new here and this is my first personal illustration piece - Silence 
    For better resolution kindly visit - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVLydG thanks ^^

• BRCanada
    A personal capstone I’ve been planning out is creating Emond’s Field from the Wheel Of Time book series. It is a agriculture focused community where the main character begins his journey. The key elements are the Winespring, a river that begins at a natural rock aquifer in the centre of the city green, a timbered inn called the Winespring Inn which is the only tiled roof building in the town, a smithy, thatch and waddle houses/farms and a water mill. The main agriculture is apple orchards, tobacco farms and there is also wool trade. The town is built around a crossroad that has remnants of cobblestone paving from a lost kingdom of the region. The climate is akin to that of Charleston, South Carolina. This is the first of many concept pieces; the mouth of the Winespring along with the Winespring Inn. Not finished yet but it’s coming along better than expected! Pencil sketching takes a lot longer than digital art 😂
  • Millie182
    My exhibition piece for university based on a comic I created in the final semester of the course. One of the biggest and most difficult projects I've ever completed.

"Rose tinted memories"

• mandaroth
    Hi everyone! 
    I was just informed that I didn't get accepted to the game graphics program I applied for. 

The school itself won't leave feedback on the portfolio due to the high number of applicants. And they do not specify what they would like to see as they want to see that the applicant knows what is expected of a good game graphics artist. 

So I would be incredibly grateful to get some critique on my work. Perhaps I need to improve my technique or style, or perhaps my work is "too polished" for a game graphics portfolio. Right now I just don't know which direction to take my art in.  

(Also: I'm new and this is my first post so I apologize if I've made any mistakes :# )

• EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    @mandaroth how many schools have you applied to? I’d recommend doing as much self learning as possible. Schoolism.com is reasonable, and there are tons of free resources on YouTube if you know where to look, like Shaddy Safadi, Marco Bucci, or for more traditional try Proko, New Masters Academy. Just keep drawing daily. 

Saw something on my drive today, tried to recapture the moment.

Might add a cow, or a robot. Maybe milking the cow, or a cow milking a robot. Maybe some butterflies or a xenomorph. 
  • Motsar
  • vvvvvfx
    Short 2d animations

• stickadtroja
  • Motsar
  • DonSmith
    Offline / Send Message
    DonSmith polycounter lvl 6
    mandaroth said:
    Hi everyone! 
    I was just informed that I didn't get accepted to the game graphics program I applied for. 

The school itself won't leave feedback on the portfolio due to the high number of applicants. And they do not specify what they would like to see as they want to see that the applicant knows what is expected of a good game graphics artist. 

So I would be incredibly grateful to get some critique on my work. Perhaps I need to improve my technique or style, or perhaps my work is "too polished" for a game graphics portfolio. Right now I just don't know which direction to take my art in.  

(Also: I'm new and this is my first post so I apologize if I've made any mistakes :# )

I'm a Technical Art Director @ Microsoft, so what I'm about to tell you, you can take to be representative of at least a slice of the industry.
    And no, there's no such thing as "too polished".

Here's what I recommend you do.  
    1st: Ignore that experience.  If you didn't get feedback, or guidance, there's nothing to learn from it other than what you've clearly already learned.  Which is you have to start looking elsewhere for the education/information you want.  If it's a games graphics program, then it is possibly an engineering track and not an art track.  But if it's a game development track, then they're probably focusing less on the game concept art and more on the making of the game from a production art standpoint.  Basically making games with a focus on graphic content.  

2nd: You already did the right thing by going to the place where professionals go to ask questions and critique/compete with one another.

3rd: Don't listen to any negative nonsense and nay saying.  There's room for everyone and every aesthetic.  But do improve and build your technical skills and understanding of composition, lighting / materials, and perspective.  Perspective is key.  If you can draw a good line drawing with exceptional perspective, you'll be golden. So long as you can do it quickly.

4th:  Learn a 3d package of any kind.  I recommend Maya because it's so heavily used in the industry.  But if you can learn how to be proficient in these 4, you'll be able to learn nearly any 3D Modeling package:  Maya, Max, Modo, Blender. Once you're proficient, you can choose which one you prefer for the next steps. 

NOTE: One possible use of these packages is to build low poly shapes/scenes to do lighting tests with.  Use those as starting points for your concept work and learn how to paint to communicate design intent. Consider, "Why are you painting the things you paint? " Is it to communicate a narrative component that will never be in a game?  If so, stop and paint something else that's more useful and has a practical application to others needing to do 3D work.  Game design/level design type concept work can be loose so long as it communicates what the design intent of a space is.  If you can't build it from what you're painting, then you didn't make a piece of concept art, you made an illustration.  Illustrations are useful, but if you want to be an illustrator, you shouldn't be apply to game graphic programs.  

NOTE: Learn Python if you want to be a power user of these applications.  You don't have to learn it at the level of a technical artist, but Python is very useful tool to have in ones bag, and makes your resume look a lot better.  Especially if you can demonstrate how you use it in your content pipelines.

5th: Learn how to sculpt in ZBrush. Even if you don't want to be a Sculptor, the tool is incredibly useful for blocking out shapes and playing with ideas/designs for organic stuff (Trees, Rocks, Landscapes) .

NOTE: Side FX - Houdini is free for learning and is a powerful procedural tool set for game developers.  It's becoming more prevalent in the industry and if you can learn this at an expert level, you'll never have a problem finding a job in the games industry  and you'll be paid $$$ :).  

6th: Learn how to use a game engine.  Once you've learned how to make 3D Content, learn how to use it to make interactive 3D content/experiences.  Learn how to build a level.  Build a character.  Build anything, just build stuff and put it in the game engine. 

7th: Get professional at using Google to learn.  You do not have to go into debt to learn how to do the things you want to do.  If someone has figured out how to do something, you can be certain someone else wrote it down and put it on the internet.  Instead of posting on polycount or anyplace else a question about how to do something, google that question first. 

Bad Google: My school's admissions office denied my application and didn't tell me why. 
    Why bad?: This will google every word of this useless statement.

Good Google: "How do I get into the Games Industry?" 
    Why good?: This will google this phrase only.  And it's a question pertaining to your goal not your problem.

Better Google: UE4 Skeletal Mesh Pipeline Documentation
    Why Better: It'll start your path of learning.  It pertains directly to something you are trying to learn.  Every word is unique but also relevant and will give you a wide net to catch a lot of useful stuff pertaining to each word of the search in order of relevance to all the words combined.

8th: Do every art test you can get your hands on.  Art tests are great for learning what requirements you'll need to work in as a game developer.

9th: Repeat steps 1 - 8 every day/week a little bit each day.  

10th: Post your work here and in other places online and search out honest criticism of your work that you can use to improve your eye as well as your craft.  Reading others criticisms of your work should be an eye opening experience.  If it's not, you're not reading the feedback with the intent of learning anything from it.  If you find yourself getting your feelings hurt over some feedback someone wrote about your work, take a breath, take a break, and come back to the feedback when you're more relaxed and have the right mindset.  "I'm here to learn.  I posted this content so I could have the opportunity to read this feedback and learn from it.  I am now ready to do that."  And try again.  If it's just hurtful nonsense, ignore it.

11th: Get a job.  Save money.  Invest that money in your passions.  Learn Learn Learn.  

12th: When you start to have confidence in your work and ability and people stop ripping your pieces to pieces on Polycount, you're ready to start working with other people.  Reach out to artists online and collaborate with them on projects.  This will give you some experience working with other people and hopefully some of them are in the games industry and you'll get experience working with people who do what you want to do eventually.  This is called networking.  If you build a reputation that is good on Polycount and other forums, it's much easier to find a job.  People will be able to see the work you've done, how well you've taken feedback, and how gracefully you respond to criticism.  They will also be able to see your growth as an artist and get a sense of your trajectory.   But you must approach this last step as if it were a job in the games industry.  Take is seriously, and deliver the things you say you will deliver when you say you will deliver them.  Accountability is a most valuable trait in a game developer.  

I do not recommend anyone go to school to learn how to make games.  If you want to make games, just make games.  If you want to make money, get a job.  If you want to learn how to do something useful for humanity and is applicable to many things and you can't decide what you want to do, go to school.  Get an education in computer science.  Get an education in Literature, History, Performing Arts.  Get an education in anything but game development.  And teach yourself game development and art.  And if you're not good at teaching yourself, consider staying out of the games industry.  

I do advocate people use Gnomon Workshop and Udemy and any of the other online resources for learning.  The subscription fee is nothing and some courses you can buy and keep forever.  These are some of the best investments you can make in your journey as a fledgling game developer.  

Good luck.
  • DunkSlammins
    Offline / Send Message
    DunkSlammins polycounter lvl 4
    Hey all! First post outside my sketchbook. I always get so hyped when I browse through here. I have never really participated in any forums. But I would like to change that and perhaps get some feedback or pointers on what I might improve. Here is a ninja cat I did for the character design challenge on facebook. I somewhat like the silhouette and composition of it. Also tried mostly using 100% opacity and a simple round brush. I like that solid style and implied detail in other artists work. But I have a long way to go as I feel my stuff looks a bit stiff and unfinished. And at the same time overworked somehow, haha. But I want to do better. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks for sharing all your inspiring work! 

• LoganFeliciano
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganFeliciano greentooth
    Hey everyone! Here is a recently finished painting for my project Purgareth. "To The Cinders Returneth All"
  • LoganFeliciano
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganFeliciano greentooth
    @DunkSlammins Cool character! I would say to start thinking about edge control. Use hard and soft edges to dictate where the viewer should focus as well as describing textures. :)
  • EricElwell
    Offline / Send Message
    @LoganFeliciano I like that theme with the recurring pilot lights :)

Here's an oldie I've returned to. Larger version in my Sketchbook

• Stinkhorse
This discussion has been closed.