Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Ruflse said:

This shape looks like a quadball. 

Make a quadball then make the top and side polys of it circle(there's a tool for it in 3dsmax tool ribbon). then bevel the side faces and get appropriate cutter shape. do boolean operation and cleanup. Image below is for the smaller shape. Bigger shape seems to need a cutter shape slightly pushed outwards. 

• gianni333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gianni333 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, 

First of all: that thread is great, I read a lot in here and it's just awesome to see how much good help people are getting here. 
    Now I have an issue myself, that I was thinking about for a long time already. First I don't know how to solve that geometry on the handle without getting non-planar polys on the side. I guess the smoothing looks ok, I just heard that you generally should avoid non-planar polys.

Second when I want to create a quad sphere, like the one in the post just before mine, e.g. by smoothing a cube, the whole thing is getting marked as non-planar polygons. 

Thanks in advance for any help on this:)
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    You are overthinking this. It´s totally fine as long as the shading is good. Who told you to avoid non-planar polygons? Basically its impossible, except you are only doing cubes.
  • gianni333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hoped beeing told that I'm overthinking:)

I've read a long discussion in another forum about that and some people made their point that non planar polys could lead to shading errors similar like flickering in animations, when the direction of the normals is differently interpreted at different frames of the animation, or by different machines of a render farm.

I've never experienced that issue myself and when I check the mesh of a character of mine for example, barely a polygon is not marked as non planar.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    @gianni333 non-planar is important to investigate when baking/doing low poly because of the unwanted triangulation though , but if it smooth good = good
  • gianni333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO said:
    @gianni333 non-planar is important to investigate when baking/doing low poly because of the unwanted triangulation though , but if it smooth good = good
    Do you mean if I want to do low poly for games, vr, etc. I need to avoid non planar polys or are they acceptable, but can lead to issues, which I would see at baking time?

Anyway good to hear, when the smoothing looks good then everything is allright:)
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    @gianni333 it makes the triangulation of the face visible , so it can be a problem for your shading
  • gianni333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO said:
    @gianni333 it makes the triangulation of the face visible , so it can be a problem for your shading
    Allright,got it, thanks a lot:) It's great to get some clarity on that topic.
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
    I am wondering how to model this side detail, not even worried about the W shaped edges on the inside but just the indent.

P.S: I am modeling parts of the weapons for Overwatch characters as practice. I am a total noob so likely will not complete the entire model to get the exact look but my goal right now is just to focus on techniques; and as such, I WOULD REALLY REALLY APPRECIATE if you guys  can join me on my Daily thread and give me feedback.

The problem is, adding an edge to tighten the sides will cause the bottom of the canister to have a hard edge, which is not what I want. Here is what I mean...

Edit # 2: I opted to make the indent smaller in length to be more closer to what I see in reference, and it actually looks okay now. However, I think the question still stands, and I will likely still need to learn this for future.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    @ziikutv
    You're making this much harder on yourself by deviating from the concept. You start the inwards curvature immediately after the indent, while the concept continues straight for a bit. You'll find the latter is much easier to model than the former.
    Hi I dont quite understand what you mean. I am a beginner so its very hard for me to grasp this stuff. If you have some time, can you point out these things via arrows?
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    @ziikutv

if you want it round , make a capsule
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool

:|

I figured the inner window is likely separate so the LED feature can be uvd independently.  

@supaclueless - I don't get it.  
    @WaYWO - why r u showing a timer lawl
    LOOOOOOOOOOL

@supaclueless

wut
  • supaclueless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    I was just being dumb and tried to create something in the most unproductive manner possible. The question was already answered by WAYWO (and the million other threads/images before that) and I felt like posting something dumb.
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO said:
    @ziikutv

if you want it round , make a capsule

Too fast couldn't see anything. But I think you are doing ti exactly as I do it. Thanks!
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ziikutv Here is my super awesome technique and workflow where its super non-destructive and badass and stuff.

uhhhh thanks? Gave me a smile :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joopson
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Shinigami said:
    man wtf. Why are people overcomplicating  tasks such as a capsule.

1. cube
    2. turbosmooth/ subd
    3.spherify

done.

Whats with those steps above????
    Not sure if serious. Starting as a cube could work, but probably wouldn't be the best way to do it. TeriyakiStyle nailed it.
  • Ausonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ausonian polycounter lvl 13
    Shinigami said:
    man wtf. Why are people overcomplicating  tasks such as a capsule.
    You oversimplified it :smile:
    I'm a quad sphere fan, but look at the ref closely...
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    lol, time to move on people, this thread knows better
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shinigami  and others
    Why are you guys being so arrogant, I am just starting out. I thought there was no such thing as stupid a question. Like wtf?
    Someone even showed timer of how long it took them to model the thing..

Anyways, I've learned my lesson. Guess it doesn't make sense to post here as a beginner.

Thanks I guess.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    @ziikutv ,@TeriyakiStyle  I didn't show timer, it was quick recording, and camtasia showed in the way...
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @WaYWO
    I am mainly concerned with what the other guy said, but him being negative, I assumed you were too. Sorry about that

@TeriyakiStyle
    I didn't know what you mean by edit quote? Which is why I didn't do it.

Yes to matching concept. I already amended mine to match yours.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ausonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami said:
    wasnt even reffering to the ref. But iveseen this gif someone made. Are you serious? Theres no such thing as oversimplyfing. You can just scale that capsule you got to the shape of the ref
    ?????
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    we need mods on this thread to cleanup pollution...
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    @Joao Sapiro
    I agree to this, but something that i disagree with, is with all the people from this thread that send`s new guys  who dont know all the techniques to study the whole fkin thread.

Yes i agree with studying this thread, has a lot of useful information and examples but some pages are with pollution ( nothing to learn ) like Joao said and maybe the guy who ask wants a fast answer. No one forces you to give examples or to help.

If you dont want to help with examples better dont reply. Some of them are new to modeling and 143 pages seems intimidating.

And from what i inderstand from the title is to ( Reply for help with specific shapes ) not with ( go and look from page 1 to page 143 ).

As i said i agree with studying all pages but sending someone who ask for help to look through pages is dumb.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    s1dK said:
    @Joao Sapiro
    I agree to this, but something that i disagree with, is with all the people from this thread that send`s new guys  who dont know all the techniques to study the whole fkin thread.

Yes i agree with studying this thread, has a lot of useful information and examples but some pages are with pollution ( nothing to learn ) like Joao said and maybe the guy who ask wants a fast answer. No one forces you to give examples or to help.

If you dont want to help with examples better dont reply. Some of them are new to modeling and 143 pages seems intimidating.

And from what i inderstand from the title is to ( Reply for help with specific shapes ) not with ( go and look from page 1 to page 143 ).

As i said i agree with studying all pages but sending someone who ask for help to look through pages is dumb.

"I agree to this, but something that i disagree with, is with all the people from this thread that send`s new guys  who dont know all the techniques to study the whole fkin thread."

I think its common sense when you have a huge thread that is PRECISELY about what you have problems with to at least research it a bit ? Nobody is saying "read the whole 143 pages of the thread" since  more than half the problems in this page are mentioned on the FIRST page of this thread ( seriously, the cilinder and the scope are mentioned on the very first page ).

If you cant read 5 or 6 pages of a forum thread WITH IMAGES EXPLAINING STEP BY STEP common problems then i think its pure lazyness and people that enable this type of behaviour are as much to blame in my personal opinion, because it kills curiosity , @EarthQuake  wrote a great article about it : 

http://polycount.com/discussion/171153/the-death-of-curiosity

I was also mentioning pollution of the thread because some users get defensive and bitchy about what was presented as a solution and not contributing with anything or refuting why they disagree , wich defeats the purpose and just adds replies that contribute nothing and add pages to the thread with pure text bullshit.

"As i said i agree with studying all pages but sending someone who ask for help to look through pages is dumb."

Dumb is claiming that researching solutions to problems are dumb.

• Ausonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok for me I'll pick up the invitation to reply only with specific shapes, and hope all the others will do the same :smile:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jaocek @TeriyakiStyle
    I honestly tried researching when you said to checkout the earlier threads. However, if you goto page 1 most images are dead.

I think what would be the best solution to keep knowledge preserved is, keep this thread but have an archived thread that only a mod or someone posts to with Technique question, Technique answers. And we can keep pruning this thread to keep it small and copy paste there. Also, maybe putting it on Github would be a best way to retain everything; but not everyone has Github account so likely hosting everything here on the wiki might also help.

I do not mind doing this curating, if I have some support
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    Somebody had a url with al those wisdom imparting images... dont remember who, but it was there somewhere

• igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    we may need a sticky post that demonstrates solutions for commonly asked questions as well as how to post here like taking images of models and precisely explain which part they stuck. some of people here seemed to fed up and turned bitter by seeing similar fundamental shapes asked here over and over again. thus general reactions toward beginners might seem disheartening. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rage288
  • mverta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mverta polycounter lvl 7
    Gentlemen (and ladies) - 

Brand-new to subd's, and despite reading the thread, still wonder: What is the best way to solve the triangle and n-gon here?

Thanks, everyone!

_Mike
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mverta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mverta polycounter lvl 7
    Well that's very cool of him. I do the same when able.
  • Ausonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TeriyakiStyle
    C'mon, don't be so resentful now, I was serious in my last post;  you are polluting  :neutral:
    @mverta
    No need to kill the triangles and n-gons here since the surface is flat and they don't bother, by the way if for some reason it must be all quads, I would do as this:

• WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    @mverta if you want an accurate answer, please upload your mesh...
  • mverta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mverta polycounter lvl 7
    @Ausonian So simple. Thank you. Just starting out here,  every day I feel like an idiot for not seeing the solution. 

@WaYWO I'll be sure to do that in the future. Thanks for the tip! What's the preferred format for meshes? 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • mverta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mverta polycounter lvl 7
    @TeriyakiStyle  Thank you for that.  In my first tests I consistently find I'm a little overly-conservative with polycount, as well.  I want to be efficient, but I also make it hard on myself by not having enough initial subdivisions.  I think my judgement there will come in time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rage288 polycounter lvl 7
    Grandpa's going racist again.
    Hahahaha

• Ausonian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @perna
    Rants that can seem harsher than they really are, thanks to text only discussion; from me, peace and love :smile:
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    @TeriyakiStyle You didn't help him tho, you just threw a whole lot of geo at the problem, creating new and interesting problems. There's skewing and pinching all over that thing.

@mverta you're making an odd shape in an odd place with no logical quad-minded place to end your loops, that's what you're having trouble with. Triangles can be the solution if they're on a flat surface supported with double edgeloops.
    1. Secure your outer silhouette's smoothing with edge loop. yas.
    2. Make your weird-ass indent.
    3. Secure indent's silhouette's smoothing with edge loop. yeish.
    4. Doublesecure them bitches with double edgeloops.
    5. Terminate indent's outermost edgeloop at the outer edge's innermost edgeloop.
    Fuck this wall of text is chaotic. Will edit with pic when i get home.

Edit: pic as promised

This is the girl you bang, not the one you marry.