Home General Discussion

Star Wars Episode VII, The Force Awakens...

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet, sweet practical alien action
    j2LlCqR.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    AOCuclL.jpg
    ckyczWG.jpg
    q6a5ajJ.jpg
    Rk6D1QV.jpg
    vEdCFXH.jpg

Source with some descriptions: http://imgur.com/a/8x8Dn
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    That space pirate crew photo is the only photo I ever needed to see for this photo. If disney had just released that photo and kept everything else in the dark for Star Wars. No cast, or director or anything. I would still be pumped to see this movie.
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    I.can't.wait!

The new snowtroopers armors design, the badass Xwing pilot with the WW2 style picture, the actual props, ''real'' aliens etc... Never been exctied like this for a movie!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    That space pirate crew photo is the only photo I ever needed to see for this photo. If disney had just released that photo and kept everything else in the dark for Star Wars. No cast, or director or anything. I would still be pumped to see this movie.

yeah, that pic is the best epVII related thing that I've seen so far. Trailers left me with an overwhelming feeling of 'meh'... buuut now I'm kinda interested.
  • sourtalk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Chewy, we're home!" - epic!
    Can't wait for December :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The amount of practical FX in the prequels was pretty insane as well: link
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    The amount of practical FX in the prequels was pretty insane as well: link

Absolutely. I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding just how much of what they saw onscreen was miniatures and generally excellent compositing. There's so much hyperbole about the prequels being all CG and green screen stuff that most people don't even know that miniatures were made for most of the large environments.

That said, the shots with miniatures, sets, and good costumes (as opposed to CG characters and creatures) were also some of the best shots in the movies because they felt much more tangible. I'm excited to see the stuff that ILM is able to do now that they have a ton of practical effects and rendering tech has gotten so much better.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say most of the compositing was pretty bad because the lighting often didn't match up leaving that "CG" look.
  • Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    There's a badass art book available all about the original Lucasfilm Model Shop.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sculpting-Galaxy-Inside-Star-Model/dp/1933784032/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430849440&sr=8-1&keywords=star+wars+model+shop"]Sculpting the Galaxy[/ame]

I picked it up a few weeks ago and it's by far the best art/reference book I have. So much cool stuff.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    ep7-26115-1377-1378-03_0_0.jpg?itok=lQO1V-7E
    Daisy Ridley’s Rey and John Boyega’s runaway stormtrooper Finn flee from The First Order on the desert world Jakku in this new shot
    ep7-00000-1377-1378-001.jpg
    Our cover model, Kylo Ren (played by Adam Driver) strikes a pose with his homemade lightsaber. It turns out, his true identity has been masked from us in more ways than one …
    EP7-34101-1377-1378-05_1.jpg
    After a violent escape, John Boyega's Finn runs from the wreckage of a TIE fighter, afraid, desperate, but lucky to be alive.
    EP7-30985-1377-1378-04_0.jpg
    Rey (Daisy Ridley) meets up with BB-8 while cutting him free from a fellow scavenger’s net. But what is that large creature — and who is riding atop it? (More on that later.)
    ep7-128464-1377-1378-11.jpg
    Old friends, but in a new time and place. R2-D2 seems to have hardly changed, but C-3PO (played by Anthony Daniels) now sports an unexplained red arm.
    ep7-38176-1377-1378-07.jpg
    Squad goals. Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and a team of merciless First Order stormtroopers lay waste to a peaceful Jakku village.
    ep7-22591-1377-1378-02.jpg
    Domhnall Gleeson as General Hux, a cruel leader of The First Order who craves to show the galaxy his might. (This image was briefly shown at Comic-Con but never released in detail until now.)
    EP7-38369-1377-1378-08_1.jpg
    Inside this shimmering armor is a warrior for The First Order, Captain Phasma (played by Gwendoline Christie of Game of Thrones). Her character's name has an unexpected origin...
    ep7-38539-1377-1378-09.jpg
    Director J.J. Abrams relaxes on the set of The First Order's Starkiller Base with his co-writer Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back). Note the dark red script pages in Kasdan's hand, a security measure to prevent copying.
    ep7-115525-1377-1378-10.jpg
    There's a reason the X-Wing fighter is black, but J.J. Abrams wants to keep that a mystery for now. Stealth tech? This is another previously seen shot from the Star Wars Celebration fan event in April.
    ep7-34568-1377-1378-06.jpg
    Director J.J. Abrams and actress Daisy Ridley in a previously released behind-the-scenes shot. Abrams was recruited to join the film when Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy asked him a question about another young Star Wars desert-dweller...
    ep7-175875-1377-1378-01.jpg
    "Chewie, we're home." Entertainment Weekly's Star Wars: The Force Awakens report will include the story of Harrison Ford's emotional first day on set.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Daisy Ridley looks a hell of a lot like keira knightley.

Really liking the choice of villians though, Gleeson playing against type.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Was this posted?...anyhoo. New bits

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpPWWeWvI6Q[/ame]
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    They're leaning really heavily on the 'Space Nazi' thing, eh?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    They're leaning really heavily on the 'Space Nazi' thing, eh?

The Galactic Empire has been also influenced by Adolf Hitler's Nazi Germany[58]; for example, the Imperial stormtroopers resemble the German stormtroopers, and red, black and white, the most recognized colors of the Empire, are also the colors of the Nazi Blutfahne. Palpatine's promise of an Empire that would last for ten thousand years, and the Empire falling far short of that goal, also echoes Adolf Hitler's promise of a "Thousand Year Reich".

I'd say that has been by design since the first movie almost 40 years ago, but hey, who is counting. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Empire
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ well, no shit?
    Stuff like red banners just make it more bold than ever before.

Your quote mentions red as 'recognized color of empire' but actually I can't recall any red elements besides emperor's guards and Vader's lightsaber.
    Was there any other red colored imperial stuff in original trilogy?

edit: sorry, didn't mean this to sound rude :)
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also,a good amount of A New Hope's editing and compositions were directly "stolen" from Nazi propaganda films as well as WW2 dog fight action films.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Maybe I'm dense but red and big standing armies is just generally synonymous with militarized fascist regimes

I was getting more of a north korean vibe
    5245045531_ab3a262bae_o.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Hm, i don't think the imagery is near as strong as something like Killzone though.

I always knew Star Wars took influence from history but never specifically nazi's since some Star Wars spin offs would make the two sides seem more like a Grey area than good and bad.

I guess we'll see if the darkside is good at giving dramatic speeches?
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Nazi influence also went beyond the Empire.

This is the film that the ending of New Hope was taken from.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbEEQxtnkHE[/ame]
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    ^ well, no shit?
    Stuff like red banners just make it more bold than ever before.

Your quote mentions red as 'recognized color of empire' but actually I can't recall any red elements besides emperor's guards and Vader's lightsaber.
    Was there any other red colored imperial stuff in original trilogy?

No shit,

this is Basic design 101 for noob

Blue = Good guys
    Red= Bad Guys

The nazi thing is just something on top of that basic color recognition pattern.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, obviously. But original trilogy seemed to go against it in many ways. Rebels had red logo, red stripes on space fighters, which shot red stuff... etc. Imperial stuff was just gray, black white. I'm not sure if blue empire logo actually appeared in films but blue was associated with empire for many years.
    The way I see it, these colors emphasized a clash between cold inhumane system and lively passionate people.
    So for me it makes more sense for rebels to use red and for empire to have cold tones.

well, not that I care that much.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't feel the 'Nazi' theme was particularly strong in the original trilogy (except maybe the officer's uniforms, they seem to be taken right out of the history books), though there were certainly elements of inspiration used (that scene from the end of a New Hope, for sure) - the imagery isn't very reminiscent at all. The whole 'empire that will last ten thousand years' guff is from the prequels.

The Imperial Crest doesn't appear in the original trilogy except for briefly on the helmets of imperial pilots. The logo is apparently based on the design of fortresses, not derived from Nazi insignia however.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I love the scale of that Star-Killer (if that is what it is)
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Here's some nazi red for yeah in the original series:
    greatest-star-wars-characters-imperial-guards.jpg
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering now that 2187 was assigned to Finn. It seems to be a possible indication that he is actually the son of Luke Skywalker.

Except that Finn is black? I mean, it's plausible, but it's a pretty bizarre choice. If he does have heritage tracing back to an existing character, he's more likely to be a Calrissian, which explains how he has Luke's lightsaber (which was of course lost in Bespin).

Rey is also missing a surname, and Kylo Ren has only an assumed name; we don't know the original. Rey and Finn are likely deliberate red herrings - the real progeny of Skywalker could well be a member of the First Order.

Edit: The royal guard are hardly 'Nazi red'.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    The first thing I notice is Kylo's paintball mask, like it looks so basic at first glance but you do eventually notice it has a sort of ritual decorative aspect to it
    That said I love how practical everything looks, who's the little goggles guy chilling next to R2 anyway? haha
    So we've gone from moon-weapons to planet-weapons then? I can dig it.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    who's the little goggles guy chilling next to R2 anyway?

Speculation I've read seems to guess that maybe it's Maz Kanata the fully CGI character played by Lupita Nyong'o.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    It seems to be just that indeed.

Seriously guys, 3 Death Stars out of 7 films? Can we all say over-used and boring trope yet?
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    marks wrote: »
    Seriously guys, 3 Death Stars out of 7 films? Can we all say over-used and boring trope yet?

This video has the answer, it needs some subtle 1980's overtones because let's face it, that's when the best Star Wars films were made.:poly121:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wsxlfl0HVI[/ame]
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

From what I've gathered from the rumours, the Rebellion also now has access to these kinds of weapons - and as a result the universe has cooled into a state of perpetual cold war for fear of mutually assured destruction. Exactly who with is an awkward question, from as I gather the Empire no longer really exists and the First Order is something else entirely, emulating previous behaviour of the Empire.

In a way, it works and makes sense. We didn't stop building nuclear weapons after the second world war, we just kept building bigger and stupider ones. It's not entirely reasonable to assume people would stop building Death Stars / Superlasers. If anything, Starkiller makes more sense as it's planetary rather than a moon-sized (hyperspace capable) installation.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter

Wonder how many times Military Forces have said to their enemies. "Stop making Aircraft carriers! Its such a cliche".

If a deathstar design is the most powerful and effective design of the time. They would continue to build them until the design is perfected (without vunerable exhaust ports).
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Sure but let's remember this is entertainment and fiction. Many of you people work with these concepts on a day to day basis...
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I think people are just tired of sequels coming along to some of the best science fiction of the 80s-90s, and when they come they can't stop saying "Hey, remember this?". People want those universes to be expanded upon, they don't want to see the same ideas/characters relentlessly recycled (like that terminator movie and jurassic world).

Also, the deathstar was iconic for the reason that it wasn't just a weapon, but a weapon at the height of the empire's power. It was a symbol of obscene power, literally a planet that is a gun.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought Jurassic World and Terminator were ridiculous, but for some reason I really like the aspect of VII having one foot in the old and one in the new
    We've already been through a reboot bearing in mind - I remember watching the prequels and having literally no idea or connection to what was going on, suddenly this 6ft dark faceless (until the end of RotJ for like 2 minutes) evil character who was prominent throughout those movies is this little kid that doesn't turn up until halfway through the movie for example
    It feels weird that we'll get to see Luke, Leia, Han and the falcon back in action, as well as a neue death star, but the new stuff looks great so I'm optimistic about it being a mix, as well as continuing on in the chronology rather than jumping back. I guess my post boils down to 'it might be the same formula but if it's done well and eases into newness in the later movies then I'll be happy'
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Sure but let's remember this is entertainment and fiction. Many of you people work with these concepts on a day to day basis...

If I want entertainment and fiction i'll watch Harry Potter. Star wars is real Dam it!

Santa+and+pro+wrestling+is+still+real+to+me+dammit+_59a384445b6992f2daac20aab14401f9.jpg

(*except ep.1-3)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So long as the movie doesn't devote a significant amount of run time to it being some sort of plot device, I don't really care much that it exists.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Putting it on the movie poster definitely telegraphs that that is likely to happen brah...
  • cryrid
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grinned throughout the whole trailer. Just can't wait!!
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Massive Star Wars boner right now.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    It's going to be epic!!
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really choked up at that scene of the Falcon with the dramatic version of Leia's theme. Just 2 more months
    Kind of miffed at how similar hyperspeed looks visually to warp. JJ really has a boner for that tunnel effect, but I hope we'll get to see it from the cockpit view at least once
    That shot at 1:27 with the X-wings coming in though, christ. I'm really liking the majority of the cg
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I've watched the trailer multiple times and grinned like a fool every time I'm sure. And it only took me until about 1 in the morning to secure 4 tickets to opening night here at Alamo Drafthouse.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the action scenes looked a bit OTT (like the enormous swarm of TIE Fighters, but overall this looks like it has the potential to be an absolute blast.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    the hype is unreal! also, I just saw the behind-the-scenes video as well. Love how it looks like they actually built a lot of the sets to mix in with CGI, similar to how MadMax did theirs.
  • slipsius
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Even if the movie is only Okay, it'll still be better than the let down that was The Phantom Menace. Got tix for opening night.