Home General Discussion

Star Wars Episode VII, The Force Awakens...

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not sure where this confidence comes from. Isn't that just wishful thinking?

It seems a bit strange to me that someone who disliked prequels could get excited about what he saw in this trailer.
    Unless it's the familiar characters and designs that make all the difference?
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Kind of stumped on how to respond to that... Seems stranger that one would assume this would be like the prequels. Different talent on board, no Lucas, a director who actually listened to what fans asked for (practical effects, no lens flare etc)

Main thing is I don't feel like Lucas was a huge collaborator, some of those scripts reeked of having no editor, as if no one wanted to question him.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Kind of stumped on how to respond to that... Seems stranger that one would assume this would be like the prequels. Different talent on board, no Lucas, a director who actually listened to what fans asked for (practical effects, no lens flare etc)

There was definitely a lens flare in the new trailer when the camera zooms on the ship bridge
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    There were a few lens flares in the trailer. i think i counted 4? But honestly, I dont really care. I usually hate lens flares. But they will in no way affect my decision on if the movie is good or not.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nor do I, infact I think they can work in certain situations
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    (practical effects, no lens flare etc)

The heavy use of lens flares was a stylistic decision for Star Trek; nothing else Abrams has done is particularly lens flare heavy.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Seems stranger that one would assume this would be like the prequels. Different talent on board, no Lucas, a director who actually listened to what fans asked for (practical effects, no lens flare etc)

Not to mention the lack of an extremely goofy character whose only purpose was to try and inject some comedy into movies that otherwise revolved around an emotionless monk-like order leading an army of emotionless clones who were created to fight emotionless droids led by equally emotionless aliens, all to come to a conclusion that we knew about several decades ago.

Now we finally get to a point where the future is unknown and everything is at stake. Most of the characters seem to be more relatable with actual people (even Stormtroopers, in the new novels). The trailer alone looked like it had a fair amount of emotions packed into it.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7

Well, that shot a few pages ago that showed costumes is awesome and it really feels like Star Wars.
    But I'm pretty sure that prequels also had more costumes and decorations than people would like to admit.

Also, you really don't see any CG in the trailer? I'd say it's full of it.
    I know, trailers are trailers, and CG isn't always a bad thing.
    But so far there isn't anything that suggests that the new film won't be full of modern "cool epic shit" designed to please the overstimulated audience that watches CG driven films every 2 months.
    There also isn't anything that would suggest that plot won't be as corny as the plot of prequels, regardless of who wrote it.

I'm not saying that it will be terrible - but it has a potential to be bad because it's a hollywood film released in 2015, and it seems that every year hollywood productions get more and more silly.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    this is riding on the nostalgia hypetrain so much that i hope its a solid overall movie.
    its weird that its considered such a failproof thing already when noone has actually seen the movie yet.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Probably has to do with the momentum from the Marvel movies.

Chances are even if the movie is merely just competent, it will still be better than most Star Wars movies. The bar is really low.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i hope its a solid overall movie.

it's abrams, it'll be decent but i just can't see it being great.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    man harrison ford looks a bit weird, as if he has been airbrushed badly or has too much make up on. re the movie it will be average I guess.
    The originals were of the time and place that was the late 70's. its like old popstars trying to make a comeback when everything has moved on.

I really hope i am wrong though
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    trying to make a comeback when everything has moved on

...Trying? Comeback? Moved on?
    I don't know what world you've been living in, but I haven't lived a single decade that hasn't seen a Star Wars movie playing in the theater while its merchandise flies off the shelf.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Hes old alright, still making movies still getting gigs.

And the fact that hes repricing a character as an old man shows just how popular that actor/character still is.

So if something is still popular and still creating hype 30+ years later then how is it a comeback?
  • almighty_gir
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    almighty_gir
    LMBO so wrong man:poly136:
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah but cryid , all of the later prequels were terrible, so they don't really count.

re merchandising that seem to be the biggest success of all.
    they should have somehow brought darth vader back( even though he is dead). that would be cool
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh that is awesome gir, i was dying at my desk lol
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    Hah! Notice the phillips head screw on Rey's staff? Guess they forgot to edit that out.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Nice posters, though there's something odd about the perspective on Solo's.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    How come?  You can see screws on lots of starwars props
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Perspective on Solo poster isn't off.  Harrison Ford has a bent nose.  It's just way more noticeable when you split the picture down the middle.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I think they will avoid adding characters form the expanded universe.
    Would have loved to see sequels based on the Thrawn Trilogy since I read them many years ago, but that will not happen.

It might be good for the movies that they didn't follow the EU, I hope that I will be positively surprised by the movies, I'm a bit worried still...

About the latest posters, Han Solo's right nostril is barely visible plus the bent nose makes it look off at first glance. 
    Screw heads are ok, at least they didn't use nails.

I wasn't able to recognize Leia.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm hoping the story is at least based on the Thrawn Trilogy, it can alter it a bit but I love that concept 
  • slipsius
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    The story will for sure not be based on the Thrawn Trilogy, not possible.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Do not watch the above international trailer if you don't want spoilers. There are two massive ones in there and it's not funny.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not seeing any massive spoilers. 
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd post what they were, but we don't seem to have spoiler tags any more. One of them is pretty blatant, so hopefully more people won't notice :/
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I found the spoiler tags! I warn you, this is a doozy, so if you read it, it's your own fault:
    Han Solo and possibly also Chewbacca appear to be dead at the end of the trailer; I'm speculating killed by Kylo Ren. I'm definitely not the only one who has picked up on this and a few online rags are also reporting it.

This makes some sense, as Harrison Ford purportedly refused to return unless his character was killed, and Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) has been suffering from various health problems.

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh man i fucking LOVED me some Teras Kasi. That game was the bomb!
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Cool slideshow here with 50 images of props from the new movie, some nice wear reference;
    http://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-props

The weapons look particularly beaten up, I'm liking that heat staining on some of the blasters 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I'm digging those designs. Everything looks more star wars-y than the prequels, which was a bit of a mixed bag imo design wise.