Home General Discussion

Star Wars Episode VII, The Force Awakens...

Replies

• MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    New sith revealed:

250px-Emperor_jar_jar.jpg
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    it just looks like a huge claymore. probably a totally different fighting style. jesus, people will find anything to moan about.

think people are saying it looks dumb because it looks like a claymore, yet he's just flinging it out. If he was actually holding it like a claymore we might get that it's a different style.

But really they're prob just trying to make it look kewl.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Yeah i think that's my problem with it more than anything, it's like they've taken something which is already iconic and cool for eternity (a lightsaber) and gone "i wonder what we can do to make this MORE cool!?"... And this is where they've ended up.

It just screams cheese to me =/
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    There was some speculation in the reddit thread that the sith is darth revan.

I google searched dearth revan and sitting at the top of the page, as the first image result, is none other than Lee's character from his portfolio page. Wonder if you're getting a bump of traffic from it lee?

The claymore sword thing doesn't bother me at all. Disney probably asked for something different so they can spin off some toys. It makes almost no impact on the story or the universe.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    I understand and appreciate going back to the retro special effects and props, but the movie feels like an amateur fan-made movie rather than an actual Star Wars film. (like a college student's attempt at making a movie)
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah feels like a new for the sake of new but whatever the teaser was kewl :D

I would join the argument about it's functionality not that it would self injure but that if its purpose was to block other sabers from hitting his hand like a sword hilt, then it wouldn't work well since when the other saber meeting either corner it would not be deflected since the corner itself is metal and not saber, it would simply chop off the extra little sabers lol. And some Sith appendages off nodoubt :P
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside wrote: »
    Light saber as it is, is totally impractical. It have no weight beyond hilt, and you need literally supernatural coordination to do not hack yourself apart with it.

I think the explanation for the Jedi fight style is that it relies on their ability to foresee the near future. It isn't about reflexes or coordination, they basically know where to move the sword, that's why they can deflect blaster fire. It's also why no person without Jedi training can really use a light saber, except the droid general who relied on his superhuman abilities.
    I just really hope that fighting choreography will be kept from Episodes 1-3.
    The 4-6, felt like knight using heavy swords and clad in heavy armor.. Which is ridiculous considering that Jedi barely have any armor and sword barely any weight to it..

I kinda disagree. Except for maybe Episode I, most of the fights looked way too similar to real life martial art using japanese swords or sticks, did not feel otherwordly enough. They also really felt rehearsed and the Anakin-ObiWan duel was way too long as well.
    Oh, and Vader was actually wearing a lot of armor and he did the most fighting ;)
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    I thought the best was the vader skywalker one from Jedi, probably in the minority though.

When Luke goes NOOOO and the music amps up, I still get goosebumps.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    ysalex wrote: »

I google searched dearth revan and sitting at the top of the page, as the first image result, is none other than Lee's character from his portfolio page. Wonder if you're getting a bump of traffic from it lee?

Hah! interesting... I'll keep an eye on my traffic and see what's up =]

I'll go check out that theory but i don't see it holding much water... as far as i'm aware BioWare are killing him off in the next SWTOR expansion... which sucks! he's my favorite character.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    (snip images)

I would stay far away from that light saber X_x...

The guards would be parallel to the knuckles, so they'd be fine in every image but the first one (and even there, the problem could be dealt with by just holding it a little further down the grip).

Yes, the chances of accidental injury would be a bit high, but compared to Maul's lightsaber, it's imminently reasonable.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah they should have gone with Dual dual lightsabers, one dual saber for each hand.
    Make some fight choreographer cry.
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5
    I'm in love with that rolling Astromech derivitive.

This whole thing just looks McQuarrie as fuck. Even (actually, especially) the contraversial lightsaber.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    i actually hate the ball droid haha, stupid design. Everything else looks awesome, the claymore lightsaber, the sleeker millennium falcon, the magnum lolly speeder and the awesome storm trooper design. I got high hopes :)

Needs more lens flare haha
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the movie feels like an amateur fan-made movie rather than an actual Star Wars film. (like a college student's attempt at making a movie)

rJ5eGuX.jpg
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    That 1 min 30 seconds of footage was better than the 6 hours of flaming shite that was the prequel trilogy.

Lightsaber is a bit weird though, perhaps the guard blades can be activated separately so it's probably not as an impractical as it initially looks?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    ysalex wrote: »

None of the Expanded Universe is canon.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    BeardyDan wrote: »
    That 1 min 30 seconds of footage was better than the 6 hours of flaming shite that was the prequel trilogy.

Lightsaber is a bit weird though, perhaps the guard blades can be activated separately so it's probably not as an impractical as it initially looks?
    but.. but... but.. I liked the lightsaber fight with Darth Maul......

Then again that was about it.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »

Yeah, I don't really care. I know nothing about the expanded universe. I was just relating it as a tidbit for how I ran into Lee's portfolio piece.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Ok lads:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber

Get over the sword ;p.

If the only canon would be movies, then Star Wars would be really boring universe ;p.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry cant hear all the complaining over theHNGHNGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNHOTDAMNDIGGITYNERDSAUCEONMYKEYBOARDARRHGHHHNNNNNNGGGG
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8

Not that its a big deal, but out of curiosity did you read the description in the link?

"The crossguard lightsaber was essentially a regular lightsaber with a second blade emitter protruding near the first one at a 45-degree angle to the axis of the hilt."
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Since we're speculating ..the crossguard could easily be made out of something a lightsaber can not cut through like Mandalorian Iron.... see light saber resistant materials... http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber.

..that would not only make it effective..but would waste any lightsaber that tried lock up with it
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    If the only canon would be movies, then Star Wars would be really boring universe ;p.

Sorry to disappoint you, but only the movies are canon. Disney disowned the expanded universe ages ago.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=xKYu7r2GtP4"]Obi Wan Qui Gon Gin Vs Darth Maul Backwards - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I think that light saber design is a bit of a stretch... It seems like a desperate attempt to try and top a double bladed lightsaber made famous by Darth Maul.

I know they have some big shoes to fill with this movie, but the design seems like a bit much and would have been just as effective being a single bladed lightsaber imo.

I'm still excited about this movie though! My inner (Star Wars) child has awoken!
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Only thing I didn't like was the light saber like many others. Doesn't seem practical really.

Other than that, even for a teaser, I'm totally pumped. It looks really really cool and I'm excited to see where they take the story next.
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix polycounter lvl 4
    Not impressed. It look and feel like fan made video.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry to disappoint you, but only the movies are canon. Disney disowned the expanded universe ages ago.

I doubt any of Star Wars fans cares about disnay, when Lucas Arts over 20 years build entire universe in movies, books, comics, games.

What can I say. Disnay will go one way and fans another.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Also it's a space opera, who cares unless it looks cool which it does.

You sir, are why we can't have nice things.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    It did look like a fan made trailer
    I understand and appreciate going back to the retro special effects and props, but the movie feels like an amateur fan-made movie rather than an actual Star Wars film. (like a college student's attempt at making a movie)
    plastix wrote: »
    Not impressed. It look and feel like fan made video.

Y9v1p.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix polycounter lvl 4
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Isn't assembling a lightsaber part of Jedi (or darkside) training? I don't think they're breaking any lore with it.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i believe if they are going for a claymore they should have extended the hilt a bit longer. But overall its cool
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Not to go on about the sword (exactly what Im about to do), but if the crossguard is supposed to stop the ennemys sword from sliding down and cutting your hand off. Then having that inch or so black metal/plastic part is really going to mess things up.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Kharn wrote: »
    Not to go on about the sword (exactly what Im about to do), but if the crossguard is supposed to stop the ennemys sword from sliding down and cutting your hand off. Then having that inch or so black metal/plastic part is really going to mess things up.

This was exactly what I was thinking. other then that, its actually a pretty practical hilt.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    It's a teaser. Whad you expect? Liking it tho.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm hyped, I liked the sword and the droid. Nothing is really functional in the star wars universe its all form over function. The sword looks great. I'm more concerned about how is he going to fight with it and is he going to chop some trees down.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Equanim wrote: »
    Isn't assembling a lightsaber part of Jedi (or darkside) training? I don't think they're breaking any lore with it.

Time to nerd out

A decent theory I saw on another forum was that with the resurgence of force users, there is a shortage of the already rare lightsaber crystals (that need great care to produce) and so the (supposed) sith in the trailer is using a saber with an imperfect synthetic crystal, making the blade look frayed, but more importantly needing to be vented through two exhaust ports in order for the saber to avoid overheating and exploding. The crossguard saber in the canon only has one guard blade, not two
    Sith have been known to use unconventional tactics to try and gain the upper hand on the more traditional Jedi as has been said, so seeing new tricks from the dark side shouldn't be a surprise
    And anyway why is everyone so scared of change? Sure we've had the classic lightsabers for years but at least this is a canon-accurate addition to the movies, who would want to watch Star Wars VII: A new hope 2? You can hear a normal saber ignition sound at the end of the trailer, so the classic sabers will still be around i'm sure

The way I see it, this movie is going to have various throwbacks to the OT which we already see in the teaser, with the R2D2-esque ball robot, main character at the start of the trailer possibly wearing a stormtrooper disguise like Luke did, and the speeder bike's chunky shape representing the design of the X-34 landspeeder, not to mention 8 seconds of the motherfucking millennium falcon
    I reckon all of this is intended to draw in the old fans, then the story will take its own tangent into the 8th and 9th movies

At the end of the day though people are going to overspeculate because it's bloody Star Wars isn't it, all I want is for episodes 1-3 to be redeemed
    Yeah they should have gone with Dual dual lightsabers, one dual saber for each hand.
    Make some fight choreographer cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPvNkIPFdI8#t=47

hehe
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Because it's an attempt to try to add to something that wasn't broken in the first place.
    Sort of like wanting to outdo the saber fights in the originals with this:

tumblr_mva3m3yQNg1sjzbuao1_400.gif

It's not going to ruin the movie though.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    the (supposed) sith in the trailer is using a saber with an imperfect synthetic crystal, making the blade look frayed

That's exactly what I thought too. Imperfect crystals have already made an appearance in The Force Unleashed (which served as an episode 3.5) with exactly that effect.

Every force user had a slightly unique hilt on their saber anyway. With less guidance (and tradition) available, more variation makes sense.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    eld wrote: »
    Because it's an attempt to try to add to something that wasn't broken in the first place.
    Sort of like wanting to outdo the saber fights in the originals with this:

tumblr_mva3m3yQNg1sjzbuao1_400.gif

It's not going to ruin the movie though.

shitty dialogue aside, i still hold that Anakin vs Obi-Wan was the best duel of the franchise (with the exception maybe of Luke and Vader's final minute in Jedi).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWA7XV9-0kk"]Anakin vs Obi Wan Duel - YouTube[/ame]

Two force masters in their prime, using everything they've got? fuck yes.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    That fight was way over the top, imo. It didn't help that everything in the background was CGI, making it feel less grounded. Then you have them jumping around on platforms like it's some video game-- and that lava, how can that not set their asses on fire?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    because fuck yeah jedi!

yeah the jumping about is a bit lame, but the actual fighting? spot on. It's everything i'd expect from people who're capable of reading the future, and bending the laws of physics at will.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    because fuck yeah jedi!

yeah the jumping about is a bit lame, but the actual fighting? spot on. It's everything i'd expect from people who're capable of reading the future, and bending the laws of physics at will.

Even the part where they keep kicking each other? For people that can deflect blaster rounds via precognition they sure are sluggish when it comes to dodging flying kicks

No doubt the scene is a brilliant spectacle once you disregard the fact that getting that close to lava would result in instantaneous immolation, but for me that isn't what Jedi are about, or at least what they used to be about

In the original trilogy the fight choreography was admittedly primitive, but the sense of humanity from the fights can't be denied, whereas in the prequels every fight is highly choreographed, to the extent where when you expect obi-wan in episode 1 to be reckless and go ragemode on darth maul in the same way that Luke lost control in response to Vader's taunting in ROTJ, instead he launches into yet more flawlessly choreographed moves

In my view the saber duels in the OT were a lot more tense and a lot less 'how many times can we hit our sabers together in one minute'
    The duel in empire strikes back between Luke and Vader is one example - Vader is incredibly intimidating and you can tell Luke is barely keeping up, even though Vader is holding back just to test him. Goes without saying, it's a super tense scene
    In ROTJ, the atmosphere is different, Luke is much closer to Vader's ability and you can tell that any false move would end in one killing the other because they aren't holding back
    Looking at the prequels again it seems as though the fight-ending move comes out of nowhere, whereas in the OT there was always a build to it

For me I believe that kicking each other around is far too brutish for Jedi, but I dunno, each to his own I guess, it depends whether you're looking at the literal spectacle of the fight or how it adds to the depth of the characters

sorry if i go on a bit, I haven't talked about Star wars in a while and it's fun to go back and reassess things
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If I had to pick a battle to watch repeatedly, I'd choose that one over the original Vader vs Obi-wan.