Home Quixel Megascans

SUITE 2.0 status update!

Hi everybody, just thought I'd give you a status update how the new tools are coming along, since you all have made it clear that you want more information. So the small closed beta testing is in full swing, so far it has gone really really well! 2.0 is rock solid, has a lot better performance, and 3DO has been updated quite a bit so the renders are looking much nicer.

The focus right now is to upgrade the color ID system, add calibration profiles and texture rotation! We haven't really had time to produce much art with it yet, but hopefully soon we'll have some nice things to show you all.

As stated before, this will be a free upgrade for existing DDO users!

If you have any more questions then let me know, cheers.

Replies

• VictorB
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorB polycounter lvl 6
  • Devil_Inside
    This post needs an animated gif of the 3d painting process :P
  • Eric Ramberg
    Devil I'll see what Im allowed to post! We cant let the plans fall in to wrong hands :)
  • Devil_Inside
    I understand :) If no visuals are allowed, can you give more details on how it works? As far as I understand when painting you're actually modifying the mask, but visually are you painting the mask (black&white mode as in dynamask) or the actual material?
    Are there any improvements in the dynamask editor speed?
    Are there any changes to the way curvature is used in dynamask?
    Thanks!
  • PlateCaptain
    Eric, do you have a list of which calibration profiles you're planning to add support for?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Devil_Inside - In 2.0 you don't have to paint black and white, you can paint with the actually materials showing in full resolution. (you can ofc choose black and white as well). You paint in Dynamask directly on the mesh. The dynamask editor is faster now, has a some new nifty features as well! Curvature is baked in 3do automatically which insures that all meshes react the same way to the smart materials.

Platy - Right now we're working on V-ray, octane, Arnold. Some of the game engines are already done, such as Unity and UE4. Many more to come hopefully!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Forgot to add, Dynamask contains over 200 custom made brushes for the 3D painting, most of which are 4K.
  • Fred2303
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    Vray and octane! yess! ilove you guys! cant wait to try it :D
  • Thane-
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Can you say when this is coming out? Or when the open beta (for existing users i think?) is happening? I would like to buy the suite and participate in the beta just to get away from the bugs in 1.8
  • Eric Ramberg
    I cant give any dates no sorry. We're gonna run the beta until we get rid of all the bugs and add all the features that we want to have in 2.0 when we release!
  • Mark_T
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark_T null
    Really great news guys. Take your time, don`t rush. Just one question? Are there any texture size limitations? Of course, if the available RAM is not a problem, I suppose. And a second question (sorry about that) :): I have CS5. Any limitations for CS5? Right now I can`t convert with nDO`s Map Converter a normal map to Height (HARD-SURFACE) I do have a full commercial license for nDO2 and DDO. Again, thanks for the good news!
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    A gif of Texture Painting would be really awesome ! ! ! :D

Also,just have two questions :

1 - Are you guys planning to give users the possibility to Export Masks ? I know many people who only use DDO for detail Masking,and it will be awesome to let the users export what they want.

2 - Regarding the Batch processing,will it be possible to bake multiple objects in DDO and automaticaly create textures from selected templates ?

When working with many assets it's always cool to batch bake them and use the Project Templates you've previously created to quickly create materials per objects.
  • Zezeri
    1) Any plans for cryengine calibration profiles/support?

2) Stability and Perfomance have always been a problem since the Legacy dDo. What have you guys done to fix this with 2.0?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Mark T - No texture limitations beside your imagination and hardware :) I don't dare to sware on it but it should work with cs5.

Fansub - Yes, teddy just created a really nice export map feature with some sweet options! Both from DDO main window and Dynamask.

Not entirely sure how the Color ID and batch system will work yet.

Zezeri - 1 - Yes!
    2 - Rebuild a lot of systems from the ground up and a loooot of testing!
  • Eric Ramberg
    I also have to mention that our presence on the forums have been limited some lately due to the increased workload of the beta, I apologize for this. But as soon as 2.0 is released all the bugs will be gone and my life will be a wonderful rainbow of calmness!
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Thanks for the informations Eric ! and you are doing a wonderful job,thanks ! :)
  • Devil_Inside
    Thanks a lot for all the details, Eric!
    Can't wait!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Glad you guys are excited, Im having a blast with 2.0 (Sorry) and I really think you all will too!
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
  • shrogg
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    I was going to post a separate thread for this, however Here seems to be the best place to ask.
    will there be a mode for the mask editor to tile the texture in x1 in each direction so that masks which meet on edges work properly.

Example:
    zZ2toQK.png

I mainly use dDo as a tool for creating tiling textures, and would really love for it to have better tools to assist in this since most tools do not cater towards artists like myself who work almost exclusively with Tiling textures.

[edit]
    Would you also include the tools you use to create the Megatextures with the suite. along with diagrams for your Megatextures Photography box. I am very interested in building my own at sometime.

Another question, Will we be getting the ability to upload and share our own materials, along with putting them on the store for download/sale (100% original textures, that is) as I am potentially interested in this.
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Loving some of hwo this sounds Eric. If I remember right, V2 will utilise your GPU? If it does, will it be able to use multiple GPUs not in an SLI way, but in a scaling up the power way? A bit like Octane does. Would rather be using the full power of both my Titans, rather than just one :)
  • Martin_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    @Eric: Sounds awesome, thanks for letting us know! Have you solved the UV-Seam issues yet? E.g. if I paint a material on an curved object and there is a UV seam to minimize stretch, will the material projection compensate for the seam (like the triplanar projection in other software) or will there be a visible seam like in the old DDO because you only paint the mask and the material tiling remains unchanged due to the photoshop limitations on patterns?
  • tach
    Are Megascans and the Suite 2.0 progressing at the same rate? And is the current plan to release the Suite 2.0 before Megascans if that's not the case?
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thats great to hear! About the 3d painting system, are we going to be able to project stencils? Like in mudbox or substance painter
    Keep it up guys!
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    I cant give any dates no sorry. We're gonna run the beta until we get rid of all the bugs and add all the features that we want to have in 2.0 when we release!

Thought you said in the first post it's rock solid
  • Devil_Inside
    I've got another couple of questions :)
    You've mentioned an upgrade to the color ID system. What exactly does this mean?
    Also, for the painting part, will we be able to color entire polygons? Like click somewhere on a cube face and that entire face changes color?
  • CJFerguson
    Offline / Send Message
    CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the status update.
  • EoinOBroin
    Offline / Send Message
    EoinOBroin polycounter lvl 3
    So hyped for the 4K Brushes and the new rebuilt version of the suite! Equally if not more excited for Megascans, hopefully both get finished up soon :)

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to roll around!
  • Eric Ramberg
    lele - me neither!

shrug - Ndo now tiles automatically as you paint on the edges of your map. as for DDO I’m not sure what you mean, everything that is in DDO now tiles, could you describe more what kind of feature you would like to see?

We will not include the tools for megascans as that would be way to complex, there are years of hardware development behind the service so giving away the software would not be beneficial.

We are looking in to some sort of service for that, as we think it would be awesome for the community to share their own creations.

Gordon Robb - Yes it utilizes GPU, not sure about multiple, will have to check for you.

Martin_H - Working on some ways to minimise UV-seams!

tach - Yes pretty much, although the SUITE is much more confined. Hopefully very close as they both utilize each other every much.

maxviz - It’s in the backlog at least!

tungerz - Rock solid = No crashes, there are still bugs and features to work out.

Devil - We’re working on it right now, but hopefully easier to use and better batching. Don’t think there will be polygon painting, at least not for now.

CJFerguson - No problem Ellen, keep up the good fight!

EoinBoin - I also can not decide what I am most excited about!
  • shrogg
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    lele - me neither!

shrogg - Ndo now tiles automatically as you paint on the edges of your map. as for DDO I’m not sure what you mean, everything that is in DDO now tiles, could you describe more what kind of feature you would like to see?

There are some bad masking issues Where the edges of the normal map meet, for instance this normal map has places on the top and the bottom of the image where there is a dip in the normal map. I have found that dDo will just render black most of the time when you try get a strong mask in any of these cavities.

This is the normal map as rendered by xNormal: RPx5rFs.png

And this is how it gets masked: zZ2toQK.png
    The black splotches are where the edges of the normal map meet. and while the normal map times perfectly, dDos masking tool does not treat it as though it tiles.
  • Eric Ramberg
    That is probably not how I would tile it since it's always tricky to tile a horizontal detailed line along the edge of the map like that. but it does give some wierd artifacts. I will look in to if this is fixed for 2.0!
  • ericktjoe
    Offline / Send Message
    ericktjoe polycounter lvl 4
    Great. I'm more interested in Megascans though. Can you share the status as well?
  • Eric Ramberg
    ericktjoe - Tiling tiling tiling, getting that pesky tiling to perfection is the main focus right now. Delivery platform nearly done soon, after that a lot of stresstesting!
  • echofourpapa
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    Question about the new Baker, will there be a more automated map conversion workflow? Something I end up doing, if I'm painting normals with nDo, is that I will save that new normal map out, use xnormal to convert it to an object space map and also use nDo to convert the tangent space to AO. That AO gets multiplied on top on the existing AO input map. Finally I re-import the newly generated maps so they feed through the masks with the new details.

Any chance that process could be automated and done entirely within 2.0?
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Impressive works from Joe texturing his helmet using beta 2.0
    Of course rendered w/ Marmoset :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    echofourpapa - Not only can you go between NDO and DDO during the texture process to update the normal, but 3DO bakes obj space normal, curvature, gradient, AO!

rungerz - Yes, joe is in the beta :)
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Really looking forward to this now.
  • echofourpapa
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    Eric, that would make life a lot easier. Can't wait to try it.
  • gordon13
    New version sounds amazing! Is it possible to rotate materials now? That was one of the annoying things in the previous versions because you had to make sure your UVs were layed out in the correct orientation for each material you were planning on using.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Are we talking weeks or months?

Very excited to see what you guys got cooking. (:
  • loggie24
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    Don't give out any dates...

#neverforget
  • Eric Ramberg
    Haha correct loggie, no more dates. It all depends on when its done really, we want a really polished version when we release! but with that said, I THINK that MAYBE it wont be months away at least. But remember, this is best case scenario, so dont hold me to it! :)
  • StormyBA
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Eric

Will this be a free update or a paid update?
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been said before that it will be free to 1.8 users. I'm so looking forward to it. Want to get back to my Aliens Powerloader :)
  • Fridock
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Guys i'm really confused - i remember it was said there won't be any 1.9 coming out before mega scans are ready, is that right?
    It'd really help for people like me if you make an official status report on the site, because it's really difficult to dig information from the forum posts.
  • tungerz
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Word was/is their skipping 1.9 going striaght to 2.0 -n-
    which ever is first finished will release first...
    both same release dunno
  • Eric Ramberg
    StromyBA - As free as can be!

Fridock - sorry, there wont be a 1.9, the next release will be 2.0! It will be out probably before megascans, it depends on what gets ready first!
  • Cyph3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    I do really like Quixel Suite, but I have to say 1.8 is a frustrating experience to say the least. It's very buggy, many times I have came close to regretting the purchase.

Needless to say I'm VERY excited for 2.0.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Cypher I almost dare to promise that 2.0 will make up for that.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Cypher I almost dare to promise that 2.0 will make up for that.

I am fine if you take your time to release it as long as it works properly. :)

My Suite has been completely broken since 1.6 (Almost a year) so take as much time as you need to make sure it works properly.
This discussion has been closed.