repete polycounter lvl 6
    Hello Eric

Is there now FBX support ?

cheers

pete
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete not atm, but it is something we're looking at adding, just a matter of managing time. hopefully for this or next version!
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Cypher - for sure! Lack of tutorials have been a huge problem for us, we're working on several right now as we speak! Any suggestion of what you would like to see if greatly appreciated :)

This is awesome news. I bought Quixel quite awhile ago, and even still, as you say due to the lack of tutorials I'm still nowhere near making the most of the software.

Ah I'm not too sure. I'd have to have a think. Maybe it'd be cool to have a single scene with a wide variety of materials, bricks, wood, metals, glass, windows etc and showing how to go about effectively creating each of those?

Is there anyway you could let slip what tutorials are currently in the works? :)
  • EoinOBroin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EoinOBroin polycounter lvl 3
    2.0 looks awesome! Can't wait to try it out.

As for tutorial ideas- I'd love to see a complete workflow for modelling/texturing a single basic asset ( something that can be quickly modelled to save time (only 2 or 3 color ID's)/ is made to demonstrate workflow rather than extreme detail)

I know modelling isn't part of the suite, but to really get the most out of the tools you provide, clean, well made models/input maps must be created before any texturing starts.

I have watched the older tutorial on the chainsaw workflow, but I'd love to see an updated one using the new tools (the new baker for all maps) + the modelling (from scratch in Maya, including laying out the UV's). I think even though these steps are basic for most, there could be important things to look out for, on the way, especially when hardening/softening/creasing edges in preparation for good highpoly bake results (this is a very grey area, many tutorials differ on the preparation of the lowpoly/highpoly, it would be great to see the steps you would take right before texturing.

This tutorial: http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=ddointro goes over creasing edges, but I still don't quite understand why the creases were done. Seeing a comprehensive video outlining each step of the way would really clear a lot up for me, and really increase the quality of my input meshes/maps.

While most people would probably roll their eyes at the majority of the steps above, it would be so nice to have a rocksolid start to finish workflow video to reference, and not be left in the dark for any areas of the process!
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Hey Eric,
    Can only speak for myself,maybe others on board too :p
    I would love to see someone using 2.0 in real time, the time-lapse was rocking, but that's a time-lapse :p
  • Fansub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    I would love to see someone using 2.0 in real time, the time-lapse was rocking, but that's a time-lapse :p

+ 10000000 :D dDo's first version also had these timelapse videos (even the tutorials were timelapse ! ) but it was too slow in real-time.

Having a raw video of pure Quixel Suite 2.0 texturing workflow would be fantastic !
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Very hard to make out what is going on, video is so short in each segment
  • Eternal Black
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eternal Black polycounter lvl 4
    As stated before, this will be a free upgrade for existing DDO users!

Am I getting this right?: I currently already own the current version of DDO (and NDO). So I will get a free upgrade to Quixel Suite 2.0 i.e. DDO Painter and NDO Painter (3DO Baker remains free I guess?)?
  • currve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    currve polycounter lvl 3
    I have to say THANK YOU for this unbelievable piece of software! I can't wait to get my hands on it!! I can't wait to upgrade! good job teddy, eric and all other ppl involved!
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    Tutorial wise I think you need to stay away from anything modelling wise (unless it's abuot making it crystal clear what the model requirements are). My reason is simple - differently modelling apps do things different. I have, for example, now way of having creased edges in Lightwave. What might be useful is users of some of the modelling apps, do their own tutorials for folks.

I would like to see some of the stuff we have already talked about....

Adding decals
    Adding lettering (probably the same)
    Painting grunge/damage
    A step by step process for achieving greatness (ok maybe that's a bit much) :)
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cant remember if I've asked, or if it's been said, is there an Octane Exporter?

And will the GPU support be scaleable? (2 gpus= twice as fast etc)?
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How will one find out if one is included in the advance beta (or whatever you were calling it). Do we look out for a tap on the shoulder? Or has it already been done and I was passed over? Always the bridesmaid, never the bride ;)
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    This is a really nice work from the Quixel team, they really listen to their audience, there are many features that had been asked before and now they are implemented!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r - Right now there are so many, but there is firstly the workflow primer for 2.0, some time lapses, a few “texturing an asset from start to finish”, a bunch of UE4 related ones, Unity as well. A bunch are in-house but many are by artists, so Im not entirely sure how many there are!

EoinOBroin - That is exactly what we will show in several videos!
    There will be sample models in 2.0! We will try to make some megatutorial covering everything as well.

tungerz - Yeah I was just telling teddy today that we need to show some realtime video so people actually can see how smooth 8K painting is :D

Skyline - Slower videos coming!

Fansub - there will be realtime!

Eternal Black - yes!

Curre - Aww thanks!!

Gordon - Thanks for all the suggestions!

Gordon Robb - We just finished up the Arnold profile and will start on Octane next! Well I know for a fact that your name poped up in the list over randomly selected people because I remember your name (Til the end of time) so maybe you should check your faecbook :)

Finalhart - Thank you, glad you like it!
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Guys you can actually slow down the video on youtube (set it to 0.25)

@Eric

One last question from me:

Are the brushes quixel only or can we use any brush we have in PS ?

cheers
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Cyph3r - Right now there are so many, but there is firstly the workflow primer for 2.0, some time lapses, a few “texturing an asset from start to finish”, a bunch of UE4 related ones, Unity as well. A bunch are in-house but many are by artists, so Im not entirely sure how many there are!

EoinOBroin - That is exactly what we will show in several videos!
    There will be sample models in 2.0! We will try to make some megatutorial covering everything as well.

Fantastic news! Honestly can't wait :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete - You will be able to use your own brushes as well! Allthough we have 500+ custom made 4K brushes in the painter :)
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    repete - You will be able to use your own brushes as well! Allthough we have 500+ custom made 4K brushes in the painter :)

6876982_zps6321383a.gif
  • fatrobotsneedlove
    any way to get in on the private beta other than through facebook? I got off there a long time ago.
  • Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will you be letting more people in in the following days?
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    I also found slowing down the existing videos helped a lot too, especially the "nDo2 workflows #1 Creating hard-surface designs" video, and turned off the volume. I reaped a lot of information from that video doing that, but i had to watch it many times. I use Freemake video downloader to download certain videos off of youtube for later reference and use VLC player's [ and ] keys to quickly change the speed of the video. I also keep a folder of saved tutorial videos that i link to in a handy quicklaunch shortcut. But i am living out of my car and coffee shops, using slow wifi, trying to become an artist right now so that's maybe geared more for my situation but just the ability to pause/play with spacebar in VLC and use alt-left, shift-left and ctrl-left to quickly go backwards differing amounts makes it a massive upgrade from flashplayer/youtube for learning.
  • geothefaust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    geothefaust polycounter lvl 9
    any way to get in on the private beta other than through facebook? I got off there a long time ago.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know about the FB page (I'm loathe to use it, but will when I must).
  • uncle pritt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Eric, there is any chance to know the recomended hardware for the new release?
    Thank you.
  • shrogg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    Oh mate.. This just looks so damn awesome. everything about this just screams efficiency. And that viewport baking/painting! holy shit!

Also There is a post on the subreddit /r/3dmodeling currently too that has gained some interest. https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dmodeling/comments/3k1zaf/quixel_suite_20_revealed/
  • VicToMeyeZR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can I get on beta? :P
  • trevburley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really looking forward to this, it looks fantastic!

I've been using Quixel for a while and enjoy the flexibility it gives me. I have also been using Substance Painter for the 3d painting side of things as we have about 60 high detail models and a further 400 or so components for those models to convert to PBR for our game - Quixel 2 would mean I can cancel my substance live subscription :) - and on that note, who do we have to bribe to get on the beta ;)

Cheers - Trev
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Looks great is there any sign of UDIM support?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for slow responsetime here guys, Im getting floded in ways I did not know was possible, seems a lot of people have taken an interest in 2.0! I have randomly selected some people from this thread as well so you wont have to get Facebook just to have a chance!

cheers!
  • VicToMeyeZR
  • mabden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mabden polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great!:)
  • Dexyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm excited for the future of this project to come out. Hell, the sooner the better. This will change the way I work for the better it seems.
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Would luv to try beta, my main system has died tho.
    (Its on life support, dunno when i can replace/patch it back up)
    would work on a stone age laptop?
  • Jaidek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaidek polycounter lvl 11
    I am geeked to hop into 2.0 and check out the 3d painting in Photoshop. So with that new feature does that allow us to do full 3d texture painting right in side Photoshop? Like clones, heals, projection painting - basically anything that PS can do?
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    I want to use 2.0 on this:

Ar80aU7.jpg
    Or this:
    Elefant_Left_Side_zpsa19f75de.png
  • Pizdos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pizdos triangle
    @SLOT, you can do at any resolution in SP since it's procedural, you can paint and 512 or 1k and export at 4k, works just fine.
    And yet you're here, and not on the SP forum...

I am not here to start SP vs Quixel really, and I did not come to say one is better or something like that, I just said is nothing impressive for an un-released product and expected from 1 year ago.

I am using both, but mainly SP. Of course I am waiting for this new Quixel to see whats about.

And frankly, if we are satisfied with ANYTHING, don't expect any progress from devs. So far Quixel moves at snail speed with everything, I hope they noticed that and start to power engines.
  • Araiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Araiel polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, I'm really excited about 2.0 version! Currently I do almost 90% of my texturing in Quixel Suite so would be great to try all new features in my actual project - especially 3d painting and vray calibration profile. Is it any chance to get into beta?
  • EGGO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EGGO polycounter lvl 11
    Wow. Great update we'll get! And for free!!! After Quixel 1.8 crushed for ten or more times on my very important project I switch to SubsPainter. If what I saw in teaser are so great looks like I'll be back again)))
    Beta? Can I be there plz ;)
  • Stenhock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just to have a chance!

I also want to test and try the SUITE 2.0 in their new projects. You can get an early beta access to me? Thank you.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Im curious how much involvement Adobe has had, if any in the evolution of Quixel.
    Like have they fixed certain things on their end to make the Quixel Suite operate better, i can imagine having a software heavily reliant on Photoshop can have its limitations and problems, or has it just been work with whats been given to you.

I'm just curious.
  • Eagleshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eagleshadow polycounter lvl 5
    My company is intending to take advantage of this 30% discount and finally get commercial licence Quixel SUITE 2.0 with this Pre-order deal.

We have two question however:

1) Will pre-ordering like this, unlock the beta access for Suite 2.0, and if not, will it grant us the ability to use v1.8 in the meantime? This is important to us, considering Suite 2.0 doesn't have a set release date.

2) How much longer will the discount last? We will have the funds to acquire it 6 days from now, but if the discount won't last that long, we could try sacrificing few virgins to Satan or something...
  • Eagleshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eagleshadow polycounter lvl 5
    My company is intending to take advantage of this 30% discount and finally get commercial licence Quixel SUITE 2.0 with this Pre-order deal.

We have two question however:

1) Will pre-ordering like this, unlock the beta access for Suite 2.0, and if not, will it grant us the ability to use v1.8 in the meantime? This is important to us, considering Suite 2.0 doesn't have a set release date.

2) How much longer will the discount last? We will have the funds to acquire it 6 days from now, but if the discount won't last that long, we could try sacrificing few virgins to Satan or something...
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question. Baking is mentioned. Does that mean I can use the suite to back a normal from a highpoly to a low poly for example. Will it do the job of Xnormal, but using GPU? If so, that'd be incredibly good.
  • Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Re-watched the video and there doesn't seem to be an option to bake a TS Normal. There are options for Gradient, OS Normal, Curvature and what looks like AO.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Tangent space normal baking just yet!
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, but OS space is good for my kind of stuff if I remember right (higher poly stuff), as I can use it to create good curvature maps.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For highpoly you don't need Tangents space normal, you need curvature and preferably AO, then you're all set :)
  • bac9-flcl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bac9-flcl polycounter lvl 10
    @Eric Ramberg, can you detail the Curvature baking approach a bit?

Is it working against geometry (like AO) or is it working by interpreting another bake (like heightmap to curvature converter in Knald, for example)? If it's working against geometry, is it working in a case of lowpoly-to-lowpoly bake (e.g. when no beveled highpoly is available)? If it's working for lowpoly-to-lowpoly bakes, is it working on exposed hard edges that are also UV island seams (that's one type of an edge that Substance Designer is completely unable to bake, for example)?

Right now the only working method of baking decent curvature from lowpoly (without normals or beveled highpoly) I have found is to use an inverted mesh and a Cavity bake mode in xNormal. And if I want a DDO-style curvature (convexity+concavity or, in other words, gray BG with white edges and black cavities), I have to do two separate xNormal bakes with two sets of meshes and combine them. As you can imagine, it's not a very fun workflow, so if DDO can actually catch curvature on every single edge properly, I'll be a very happy man :)

tusBXTc.png
  • Teyon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    Just to clarify for those of us that are slow today (like me) but will current users need to go through the pre-order process or do we just wait for an Update announcement when we start the app?
  • Devil_Inside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I also wanted to ask about curvature baking for polygon edges that are also UV seams. I think this is essential for hard surface models.
  • ayanik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Ramberg, I currently own a Quixel DDO license. When I buy a NDO license, will I be eligible for the free update to 2.0?

I'm really looking forward to 2.0.
This discussion has been closed.