Home General Discussion

Dark Souls 2

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Very exciting stuff. I will be a slight negative nancy and reserve my judgement till near the end of development, not that visuals matter to me but you gotta admit the DkS 2 E3 to final build thing was kind of a downer.

Stilll...

Oh mah gerrrrrd.

hype_hype
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Yep, it's a souls game alright.

Am I grasping at straws, or is combat looking a bit closer to DaS1/DeS? It's a really short clip but animations feel faster and "snappier" like they used to.

Still, I'm a bit disappointed that this leaked. Imagine how huge it would have been if we knew nothing about Project Beast and it surprised everyone at E3.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    why the ps4 exlusive tho..
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Well, it could be a Demon's Souls sequel which would explain the exclusivity. Even if not, Sony wanted to work with From again so they are probably funding this in some way.

I for one am happy to have an excuse to buy a PS4, I was thinking about it already, and now this has pushed me closer to getting one.

I think it's a bit hard to say anything about timing or reading too deep into the graphics at this point. We have a few kinda crappy webm files. In some videos I've seen it looks like they've been sped up. I dunno. But I am definitely excited to see more, preferably better footage.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    ErichWK wrote: »
    ibau732icwTuei.gif

Fucking hilarious :P
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great, I'm really curious to see where they go with the gameplay.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    It's probably related to Shadow Tower

If it is, I'm really glad From are taking some of the amazing Souls formula and giving it to other series. If they did this with Armored Core then I think I'd die of amazing
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Dark Souls 2 DLC!
    Edit: 3 dlcs

Those damn poison statues move!? :poly127::poly127::poly127::poly127:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioo0ukZ6P-4"]Dark Souls II - Lost Crowns Trilogy Trailer[/ame]
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im so fucking done with this series. DLC's and seasons pass. They finally killed the last franchise i was excited for.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »
    Im so fucking done with this series. DLC's and seasons pass. They finally killed the last franchise i was excited for.

harsh Judgement, I don't know why people hate stuff like this so much. What do you have against extra content? Plus the DLC for the first game was great.

This looks awesome, I'm excited!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool! I'll get them :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

Wtf, they've only released 1 DLC so far, and it was highly praised.

Prepared to Die had 4 new bosses, 7 areas, 5 armor sets, a dozen weapons, etc.

It felt more like a normal expansion pack, and definitely wasn't a short cash grab.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Can't believe it's 2014 and developers still want to make new content for games and then have the audacity to ask people to pay for their work

I'm voting from software the worst company in the world in the next internet poll
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Dark Souls 2 gave me 80 hours of gameplay for my first playthrough. I will gladly pay $20 for more areas.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't believe it's 2014 and developers still want to make new content for games and then have the audacity to ask people to pay for their work

I'm voting from software the worst company in the world in the next internet poll

YEAH

...wait... no.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Dark Souls 2 gave me 80 hours of gameplay for my first playthrough. I will gladly pay $20 for more areas.

Yeah same here. There is nothing wrong with making more content for the game if it is done right and it can be done right.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    There's another record of beating the game in 20min! :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Same guy or new person new record?
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I believe I saw that but he used a ton of glitches. Glitches are often an accepted part of speedrunning but personally I prefer seeing when people can beat the game without using them. There are some really crazy glitches though, I'm curious as to how people end up discovering some of these things.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd totally watch a speed run of legit play from start to finish.

I was always fascinated when people would submit their fastest times to Nintendo Power back in the day.

Are there any video links to it?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's a huge difference between speed running a game as a competitive event, and speed running through a game you love and enjoy, to see all the content again and to be "good" at the game. They both have merits, but I always dislike when people say glitches is somehow cheating.

Both of the main glitches are pretty simple, bino-boosting and parry-walking only involve rolling and pressing 2 extra buttons in certain situations (of the thousands of people playing the game, odds are a few people have done it by mistake and learned how to recreate it). The out of bounds skipping involves a lot more trial and error, it's mostly messing with collision meshes to the point the game breaks, figuring out loading triggers, and figuring out what parts of the unloaded maps connect to other parts.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwc9LE7Pt_4"]Dark Souls II in 20:14 - YouTube[/ame]

Here's one of them.

100%/all bosses speed runs involve a lot less glitches and skipping, but bino-boosting is used a lot.

The only game I know that people run glitchless is Ocarina of Time.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, that's lame.

I want to see a legit speed run with no glitches.

However, it was pretty cool to watch them to break the game so much. I'm curious how they found out where all the proper areas were when so much of the maps are unloaded.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    So, yeah. The promise of no DLC has been broken!

http://kotaku.com/dark-souls-ii-is-getting-three-dlc-episodes-1585991405

EDIT : Holyshit I'm so late to the party.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    More Dark Souls? I'll pay.

I don't care if people feel like they're money-grabbers etc etc, the base game content is good. Adding on top of that, even better! Usually DLC is just plain better than the main game xD
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I'm curious how they found out where all the proper areas were when so much of the maps are unloaded.

There's a map viewer you can download, shows just how...detached the world is.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    saw that watch dogs had some dlc released the other day, that game has been out for a week or two.. clearly dlc that has been complete for some time now, you know one of those cases where it might as well have shipped with the game.

dark souls 2 came out ~3 months ago, at least it feels like that time was spent developing dlc (although I'm sure they had a lot of it done as the original dropped) rather than rolling their thumbs waiting for time to pass until releasing it... like ubi soft clearly do :)

let's whine about that instead, rather than whining that a proper game is getting dlc after a good ammount of time has passed..

I for one still haven't completed DS2 (or DS1..or demon souls..), this gives me a reason to go back and chop at some stuff a bit more!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    You have to understand game development. When you get close the end of development there are point where certain departments aren't allowed to change things any more. So it makes sense to have concept artists start on DLC until the game is complete and then later move on artists to start creating assets and then designers. It's cheap to fund that stuff and easy to get funding. Generally these things can be completed shortly after development ( depending on size). Also because the content is digital the release process in much easier as well.

Now I can understand complaining about size of DLCs , but complaining about their existence shows you don't understand the good they do for developers.

Sorry for the rant. It just annoys me when I see people complain about DLC.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13

85305efdd72a102c6f368bc0627b695c.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey, does anyone happen to know if they will be releasing a version for the XB1/PS4?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm pretty sure they said it's not happening. The PC port kinda indicates that as well, the original advanced lighting system was completely cut, if they planned on making a nextgen port, you'd hope that would make it into the PC release.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ahh no probs, will just play via Steam, thanks!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, what do people think of the DLC? I've been loving it. Played through it twice. Once just to play through, second time I hunted out every item. Bosses were fun but nothing too original. There are some interesting rings that I think may make an interesting impact on pvp. Overall the level design is really cool though, it feels more like Dark Souls 1 style level design than dark souls 2.

That said invading in the DLC area has sucked for me. I keep ending up in weird places where I can't possibly get to where the host is.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Loved the DLC, really atmospheric and a great sense of scale. The bosses were pretty decent, the last boss was my favorite by far, despite none of them being particularly hard.

The layout of the entire level, enemy placement and the puzzles felt very Dark Souls 1, so I'm hoping for more of this :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Still have to try the dlc, sounds great. I know there's an online petition for a new version of dark souls for ps4, but they probably have their hands full with BB. Would be great to get a remastered version of Red Dead, I know they're working on an updated version of gta for ps4 so it could be possible :D