Home General Discussion

Game of Thrones

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah that kinda sucked. I knew something horrible was going to happen because I kinda liked that guy, but meh. Pretty interested stuff going on in that episode though. I wonder what will happen with Jorah.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Saw that coming at the end for sure. Whenever someone can just finish a kill and they dont...something a real bad a gonna happen...
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    FUCK. Jesus fuck. asdjasihaisugagsfai. This might have been the best episode so far. FUCK.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Seriously. If you have a weak stomach, you might want to consider looking away. If you haven't seen the episode yet, they give you a little bit of warning before it starts getting really bad. Just be ready to look the other way.

Of course, if all you can do is hear it, I'm not sure that would actually be better. Definitely don't watch this episode alone...late at night...like I did. :(
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    If you need a reminder for the sake of your own sanity (like me) that The Mountain is not in fact a real-life, terrifying,
    head-smashing
    person, here's an interview with Hafthor Julius Bjornsson, the guy that played him.

Edit: Also, http://gawker.com/game-of-thrones-mountain-and-red-viper-are-buds-in-real-1584862373
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The dead silent credits made it even better. Second best use of credits in the series, this was my favorite.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgiTB2NFvAM"]The Hold Steady - The Bear and the Maiden Fair [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    I feel sick...
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Smashing good show! XD
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, the moment I saw him being cocky in the beginning... I knew. -just how he died caught me off guard completely though. o.O

I have a feeling the whole smashing bugs conversation will likely come into play later on with Tyrions' freedom.
    At least, what I took from it was that he was the tiny bug that everyone seems to want to smash and hopefully the reason why will creep into Jaime's head just like it did to Tyrion while he was watching his simple cousin.

Letting that bug go during the conversation with Jaime might be a little foreshadowing between the two. -Or at least I'm hoping they won't kill off another favorite character of mine :icon60:
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    The screaming... oh the screaming....UGh.

Also, the non-stop despicable actions by almost every character at the expense of those with even a tiny bit of decency is really starting to wear a bit thin for me.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    That episode was.. well..
    I just can't

Those poor beetles man.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    the way this show manages to have you so invested in it is incredible.
    i never thought it could shock me once more and i thought i was prepared for most things but i guess i`m not :P
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    skylebones - totally agree with you... this show is great but tiresome... Why should I care about anyone or anything in this show if everyone will die or live long enough to become irrelevant?

The tone of the last fight scene and how it ends was perfect though. How it suddenly jumps into this brutal f'up scene was a bit nerve wrecking.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    mind-blowing episode
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    That episode was amazing - probably my favorite of the entire series so far.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I've never been truly speechless from something I watched.. Until this ending..

Wow kind upset me too, never a happy ending for anyone ever :(
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Why should I care about anyone or anything in this show if everyone will die or live long enough to become irrelevant?

One of the neat things about Game of Thrones is how it shows the consequences and repercussions of the various events that take place in it. Even though some characters end up dying, you get to see the aftermath and effect of their passing. They have a lasting influence on the political climate of the world, despite being removed from the story.

One of the elements we are likely to see in season 5 will be the repercussions of this episode's events. While it may at first just seem like the disposal of a character, as you pull back and see more of the world, you get an idea of the larger significance that the character in question had.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the neat things about Game of Thrones is how it shows the consequences and repercussions of the various events that take place in it. Even though some characters end up dying, you get to see the aftermath and effect of their passing. They have a lasting influence on the political climate of the world, despite being removed from the story.

One of the elements we are likely to see in season 5 will be the repercussions of this episode's events. While it may at first just seem like the disposal of a character, as you pull back and see more of the world, you get an idea of the larger significance that the character in question had.

I feel the same way... And that's an interesting comment.

Whilst I don't read the books myself can anyone pleased confirm with either a yes or a no that the mountain gets his just deserts eventually?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    Whilst I don't read the books myself can anyone pleased confirm with either a yes or a no that the mountain gets his just deserts eventually?
    Both yes and no
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The Mountain that rides is a bit of a quandary. He's kind of a non-character, both in the show and the books. He is meant in many ways to simply represent unbridled physical strength without restraint. He is the personification of the most brutish and uncivilized elements of the world in which he lives. An uber-thug, or proto-bruiser, if you will. He is a complete and utter sociopath without a shred of sympathy for any other living being.

As such, he barely qualifies as a character, and exists more as an ever-present threat. He is at his most interesting when other characters are talking about him, and never really has anything to contribute himself. This is why they have swapped out the actor for him multiple times throughout the series, and most fans don't really care. Meaning no offence to the actor who played him most recently, but the primary requirement for playing this role is just being big.

I won't go into any spoilers, but I wouldn't expect the Mountain to get many speaking lines going forward. You will likely hear other characters refer to him, but his role largely remains unchanged.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Monologues...who knew?

Seriously though, on one hand I'm thinking yea this is just a setup, because hell Tyrion couldn't possibly make it through this time...I mean he's got the lead on the show...lol...

And just when you think..ok, maybe it's not a setup....

Boys and girls, that sound you heard was my heart stopping...wow.
  • Gardini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gardini polycounter lvl 13
    Your aunt is dead
    Arya Stark: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    That was an eye-poppingly good episode
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    jinxx wrote: »
    Your aunt is dead
    Arya Stark: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL

this was a close second in best scene in that episode
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    this was a close second in best scene in that episode

Agreed! I laughed.... Hard!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I won't go into any spoilers, but I wouldn't expect the Mountain to get many speaking lines going forward. You will likely hear other characters refer to him, but his role largely remains unchanged.
    Huh. I wasn't expecting him to make another appearance. That makes the whole business slightly worse.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    slipsius wrote: »
    Agreed! I laughed.... Hard!

The whole thing about the hound going to all those lengths for money just to have the person with the money die on him a few days before they arrive, comedic situation for Arya!
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Eh, this is kinda getting boring. Seems like the show is just responding to people watching this for the nudity and violence. Throw in the long shot of frontal nudity... whack in the most 'offensive' swear word you can and then try and please those watching this for the gore. Thinking about the end of season one with Ned Stark... contrast that with the death in the latest episode... just. Meh.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Wesley wrote: »
    Eh, this is kinda getting boring. Seems like the show is just responding to people watching this for the nudity and violence. Throw in the long shot of frontal nudity... whack in the most 'offensive' swear word you can and then try and please those watching this for the gore. Thinking about the end of season one with Ned Stark... contrast that with the death in the latest episode... just. Meh.

The death in the latest episode is how it's described in the books. It's not something that they've made up for TV.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    This comic gets it pretty close to the books. Spoilers from the episode of course. I wasn't very satisfied with the casting of the mountain, the first actor in season 1 was much better suited, and the battle felt kind of forced.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    The death in the latest episode is how it's described in the books. It's not something that they've made up for TV.

Yup, not saying they made it up. But I think the degree in which they've decided to visually show these scenes has changed. Just seems like every episode has a weird gore moment that's just boring.
  • Gmanx
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    skylebones - totally agree with you... this show is great but tiresome... Why should I care about anyone or anything in this show if everyone will die or live long enough to become irrelevant?

Why should you care about anyone or anything in life if they will die or become irrelevant?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    huffer wrote: »
    This comic gets it pretty close to the books. Spoilers from the episode of course. I wasn't very satisfied with the casting of the mountain, the first actor in season 1 was much better suited, and the battle felt kind of forced.

bro that comic is amazing. very much how it happened in the books!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    aaaand final post:

while what happened could be seen as too much, or over the top, or unneeded. think about what Martel was accusing Clegane of.

He was accusing Clegane of being Tywins man in Elias bedroom when she died, he was accusing Clegane of raping her, killing her, and then smashing her newborn son's head against a wall.

And
    he got him to confess, in front of everyone, that he did it, and that Tywin had him do it. that's an act of war between Dorne and the Lannisters.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Why should you care about anyone or anything in life if they will die or become irrelevant?

Lol that's a very nihilistic view of the world, Gir :P
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    had to watch a programme about kittens after that, still not enough :( that was.......how do you unsee?
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool wrote: »
    had to watch a programme about kittens after that, still not enough :( that was.......how do you unsee?

If your referring to the show "Secrets about cats" or w.e. it was immediately after GOT (UK Air Time) I watched it too!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    The gore was pretty minor for me this episode, so many absolutely fantastic moments in this one. Theon/Reek's acting is absolutely convincing, it hurts me to even have to watch him in this state. The had a lot of long, high-tension scenes where they kept up the tension for what feels like hours. The Sansa questioning, the moment between the Roose and Ramsey, the conversation between Theon and the general, and even the conversation between Tyrion and Jamie. This episode really stands out for me because not only was the overall flow of it works supremely well, but also because almost every scene was a nail biter just by itself.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    If your referring to the show "Secrets about cats" or w.e. it was immediately after GOT (UK Air Time) I watched it too!

yea thats the one haha, I think ITV must of known haha
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Show about kittens? Boy, i sure hope some kids didn't come to watch show few mins earlier. :P
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Probably from my favorite scene from the episode (other than THAT scene).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNX3T005evA
    As she first starts out walking, she looks a bit nervous, and they play the Winterfell theme, a seemingly innocent theme. As she descends down the stairs, she becomes more confident, in her new garb and hair, twirling what looks to be a knife and the music goes to something more darker. Sansa (finally) evolves from "a little dove" to a mockingbird (guessing that's the influence of the outfit).
  • katana
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    artstream wrote: »

As she first starts out walking, she looks a bit nervous, and they play the Winterfell theme, a seemingly innocent theme. As she descends down the stairs, she becomes more confident, in her new garb and hair, twirling what looks to be a knife and the music goes to something more darker. Sansa (finally) evolves from "a little dove" to a mockingbird (guessing that's the influence of the outfit).

Yea, I have to say, Sansa never did it for me until she walked out like that...all i kept thinking was "Which Dark Witch does this remind me of?"
  • woot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    ybP6Hnm.gif

pretty much this episode.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    artstream wrote: »

Sansa's hair is black! :o Came out of nowhere.

This episode had a lot of humor in it too, found Arya & the Hound's interactions hilarious, and the stuff Jamie and Tyron were talking about was great. Theon & CreepyMcEmoFace are a cute couple.

great stuff!
  • HitmonInfinity
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5

thanks for making my day hahahahahahahahah
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I'll replace the version of events stored in my head quickly, cheers Hitmon ;-)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I actually wondered how they did that head crush scene, personally I would've gone with a replica of the head made of doughnut batter and then had the guy squeeze jam out of it, but I imagine the method the crew used was a lot more elaborate. I still think Littlefinger should have popped up at the end and broken the tension with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UWDwvKgyGg