Home General Discussion

Game of Thrones

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah I know it comes down to something big <.< I did the math. I haven't read the books. Recent episodes just bored me. Maybe I just don't care enough. The political drama is pretty interesting. Story of a girl with dragons on the other end of the planet, boy being dragged by a HodorHodorHodor creature, Sansas and Aryas plots - all of those just seem pointless for now.

But like I said. Maybe I'm not enough into GoT. Also I haven't seen anything really big in GoT so I am not sure what to expect.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Sansa's plot will make more sense soon, and once you realise who's behind everything you'll also realise a whole lot more about a whole lot of other things. Arya... she's a bit of a loose cannon.

As for Dany. well... i think the biggest problem with the show, is her age. In the first book she was only 14, her story is about coming of age and finding her place in a male dominated world, she was traded like a piece of property (by her brother), treated as such by the dothraki, until she took control. and her journey throughout the books reflects her demands in a change of societal views not just on slaves but also on women, it's a lot deeper than it appears on face value. Also by the (current) final book, there are events throughout Westeros AND Essos both caused by her, and that will affect her deeply.

Bran's journey is also logical in its own way. there's nowhere south of the wall that's really safe for him (or Rickon), So he's going to a place where there's nothing specifically targeting him (sure, there are "others" up north, but they're not hunting him). Also his visions...

I realise most of this will come across as "nothing" but i'm trying not to spoil anything here.

Honestly though, read the books! they're fantastic and they make the show look bad, even though it's probably one of the best book to screen adaptations in existence.

As for the Nights King - i kinda hope it's just a convenient title and not actually linked to the legend.
  • vargatom
    Guys, keep in mind that Martin really likes to challenge expectations and defy conventions. I certainly wouldn't expect a LOTR kind of ending where good defeats evil, as one of the major themes of the books is that every living person is far more complex than that (even Joffrey).

One thing that should become clear by the end of book 5 is that
    neither the White Walkers nor the dragons are any good for humanity, both being extremely destructive forces; not to mention the Children with their blood sacrifices and the three-eyed raven apparently trying to manipulate Bran for his own purposes.
    If there's any way to have the story end in something at least partially good, then it should see the world get rid of all of them.

This also means that many of the characters we're still rooting for are probably going to end up on the wrong side of things in some way. A few of them might save themselves somehow but all in all it's looking very dark for most of the 'heroes'...
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Bran's journey is also logical in its own way. there's nowhere south of the wall that's really safe for him (or Rickon), So he's going to a place where there's nothing specifically targeting him (sure, there are "others" up north, but they're not hunting him). Also his visions...

I think the visions are a big one for him in the books. The whole warg/magic thing is really downplayed in the show, but at the heart of it he's a broken boy who had his home, family, and aspirations destroyed. He's a cripple who misses running and climbing, and a three-eyed crow wants to teach him how to fly ('every flight begins with a fall'). I think its less about how safe he is, and more about doing something to fix himself, in one way or another.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I read the first four books, but i tired of Martin's writing style. I'd rather have a more traditional beginning middle and end or at least significant resolution.
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Dadah?
    Di7DjnL.png
    Was watching starwars earlier today, and couldn't get this image outa my head lol
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    Yeah I know it comes down to something big <.< I did the math. I haven't read the books. Recent episodes just bored me. Maybe I just don't care enough. The political drama is pretty interesting. Story of a girl with dragons on the other end of the planet, boy being dragged by a HodorHodorHodor creature, Sansas and Aryas plots - all of those just seem pointless for now.

But like I said. Maybe I'm not enough into GoT. Also I haven't seen anything really big in GoT so I am not sure what to expect.

Honestly I think the series is kinda boring too. I think it's not very well done in a lot of ways. So... it's ok :)
  • ames549
    I don't dislike this show but I'm just not loving it like everybody else seems to. Nothing major seems to happen episode to episode
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    surprised there hasn't been any comments on the last episode

my opinion: had a major lack of Tyrion Lanniste
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    You will definitely get some bad-ass Tyrion plot coming up, maybe near the tail end of this season and then on-through the foreseeable future. Lots of shit coming to a head in kings landing.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Decent ep as always but I thought the Night Watch's attack on Craster's keep was pretty silly; they scouted it out and found they were drunk, with no sentries, so they just charged in? You'd think they could've snuck quite close, taken most of them by surprise, but the show just seemed to skip to "Okay, they're fighting now".
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    To be fair they're not (all) rangers with practical ambush experience; just a bunch of criminals and outcasts trained to man a giant wall.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    what was the deal with the guy that hodor killed?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    He was the guy who cut off Jaime's hand. In the show, Roose Bolton sent him to the wall to find out what he could about Brandon Stark (Having heard from Reek/Ramsay that he wasn't burnt at winterfell, some orphans were in their place). Pretty sure it goes down differently in the books but my memory is terrible. He was being all buddy buddy with Snow hoping he'd be led to Brandon.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I gotta say that Ygritte is amazing but lately I can't believe how sexy Margaery is. Damn, the casting for women on this show is just mind blowing. And that's not even mentioned dragon girl!
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    He actually wasn't in the books I don't think. He replaces the character Vargo. Vargo dies in a different place, different time.

In the books I'm fairly certain that Brans whereabouts remains unknown to Bolton. Bran makes it through the first part of the north without encountering the nights watch rebels, although he does almost come into contact with Jon Snow, they miss each-other.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Man I forget how even Hoat dies. But I am glad they're jumping Bran's storyline forward.

Potential book spoiler (not really but playing it safe):
    I mentioned to a friend the other day that he (bran) seems like a cliche ultimate-destiny character like Skywalker or Neo... but maybe this is just so he can be killed off to defy that exact trope.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well someone's gotta live long enough to complete their story arc or we're never going to get anywhere.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Sansa can't get a break. :(
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Well someone's gotta live long enough to complete their story arc or we're never going to get anywhere.

But that's just it, no single person has a story arc, they're all part of one giant arc. Westeros IS the story arc.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    moose wrote: »
    Sansa can't get a break. :(

Sansa is a fucking moron. She's no better in the books and this fact is completely taken advantage of by everyone she meets.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I wanna meet Sansa!!!

That mom and boob sucking pre-teen are so fucked in the head... Ehhh Did Martin spend time in West Virginia at some point while being inspired for these books?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lol Jesse :D

i think you'll enjoy the next couple of episodes.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    Good episode...went very quickly. More reveals. And yea, that Natalie Dormer...pure hotness.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14

The main story arc is the white walkers and the dragons.
  • Elynole

I don't think so. Based on the books it hasn't gotten to that point yet, and we don't even know what the "Song of Fire and Ice" is. I suspect Song of Fire and Ice is just an elemental metaphor for the hardships that are being fought from the exit of Long Summer(Fire) to the entrance of a Long Winter(Ice).
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I always took it more for the literal meaning. The dragons breathe fire and the white walkers bring ice with them where they go. isn't that why the guys water froze when he dumped it to tease the dire wolf?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Elynole wrote: »
    I don't think so. Based on the books it hasn't gotten to that point yet, and we don't even know what the "Song of Fire and Ice" is. I suspect Song of Fire and Ice is just an elemental metaphor for the hardships that are being fought from the exit of Long Summer(Fire) to the entrance of a Long Winter(Ice).

!!!EXTREME SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS!!!

The following is an excerpt from the second book, while Daenerys is in the house of the undying (where the warlocks were keeping her dragons) she received a vision of her older (and long dead) brother Rhaegar:
    The man had her brother's hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. "Aegon," he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. "What better name for a king?"

"Will you make a song for him?" the woman asked.

"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany's, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads."

The story arc revolves around an as yet (possibly) unrevealed character.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Elynole wrote: »
    I don't think so. Based on the books it hasn't gotten to that point yet
    On the contrary. The first book actually opens and closes with that very thing; Others reappearing in the prologue with dragons in the epilogue. Both creatures have played big roles in the lore of the world, and so their sudden return after many centuries of absence is a pretty pivitol event to center around. The implications have since been rippling across every book afterwards, influencing all manner of characters and events (which in turn have their own ripple effects). I'm sure the theme of ice and fire can be read a few different ways (similar to the various prophecies in the book), but I think its pretty safe to say that both Dragons and Others have a big role to play in ASOIAF, past present and future.
  • vargatom
    Bek wrote: »
    I am glad they're jumping Bran's storyline forward.

I'm kinda starting to believe that Bran
    is going to become a villain of some sort.

The last greenseer is clearly manipulating him, probably trying to use him to get revenge on the people of the Seven Kingdoms for casting him out or so, and everything about him is very creepy anyway, including the Children as well.
    I mean there's a theory that they've killed Jojen and fed him to Bran in paste form!

Remember that in book 1 he had a vision from the three-eyed raven about what's far beyond the Wall, and that he's the one to save the world from it. But it was something the raven showed him and we have no idea if it has anything to do with the actual truth.

Bran's role also didn't clearly appear in any of the prophecies so far; we have the false dragon and the three heads of the dragon, and we have lots of characters with ominous destinies in Tyrion, Dany and Jon. The boy doesn't really seem to fit with them in any way.
    Then there's the Night King, making an appearance in the previous episode and he's most likely a Stark. It sort of points to the forces beyond the Wall recruiting Bran, and the kid doesn't really have that many reasons to save the world of men anyway.
    It'd also be a very cool reversal which Martin seems to like so much...
  • vargatom

Or maybe it's about
    how these forces both need to get the hell out of the world of men and leave them be.

I mean which one would you prefer to rule over you? Creatures of everlasting winter raising the undead, or uncontrollable beasts of pure magic and fire?

Don't forget that the Maesters have been working very hard to push magic out of this world and they almost succeeded. But now they're on the alert again and have already sent their agents to assess the situation.
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I'm loving this season but I really feel that Bran's overall story is going at the pace of molasses and has been since last season really (Haven't read the books beyond what has been shown on tv yet mind you).

Also, any chance we will ever see Ricken again? He sort of was dropped to the side and forgotten about.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    rickon is pretty much a side thought in the books too.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Rickon seems like he will be important later, both books and show.

Like with joffrey and Tommen. We never really got any sense (or description) of Tommen until Joffrey dies. (happened in the show like a month ago, not using a spoiler).

For the curious, without spoiling it, Rickons whereabout in the book are still part of the plot, so I can only guess that he will be pulled back into the main westeros conflict at some point.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin wrote: »
    I'm loving this season but I really feel that Bran's overall story is going at the pace of molasses and has been since last season really (Haven't read the books beyond what has been shown on tv yet mind you).
    Stannis is the worst offender among several in the completely stalled story department. At least things are happening in Bran's story. Stannis just mopes about in his room.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Stannis is the worst offender among several in the completely stalled story department. At least things are happening in Bran's story. Stannis just mopes about in his room.
    It's the same with the books, guys. Sometimes a character disappears for an entire book before showing up again. I don't think there is nearly enough time per episode to cover every single character imaginable. Just wait and see, it's never what you think. ;)
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    hm good point about Stannis. Aside from the Leech scene in last season, not much really happened there.
    It's good to hear that Ricken is still mentioned in the books, and you're right, we really didn't know much about Tommen until now, so there is still hope!
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I never know how much is appropriate, because id never want to give away spoilers, so I'll try to keep being vague - but stannis definitely gets back into the story in cool ways. They are changing the order somewhat, but I think it will be relatively soon. Mellisandre and Davos too.
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    That episode. 10/10. Bring on next week!
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Epic episode... then again, it had Tyrion, so that's almost a guaranteed win in my book. His Peter Dinklage is so good with his expressions, and they way he delivers his lines. It's clear that he, and his father, share the same intellect, that Tyrion's other siblings are missing. The two of them are trying to test each others talents. It's too bad Tywin doesn't recognize what Tyrion is capable of, because he would be an amazing asset to maintain their power.

I am extremely excited about next week now, though I suspect things will slow down next week. Oh, and wtf Theon?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    The theon/reek thing works better in the books because they have more time to build on his mutation into reek. But yes, excellent episode.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    If that incredible acting didn't win Peter Dinklage an Emmy, I weep for the show...
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I seriously gotta say that whole episode and part with Dinklage was just amazing. He really is one of the main reasons I watch the show...
  • slipsius
    So i havent read the books, but my guess is....

Tyrion is going to fight Jamie, but just before the fight, Cunt face sister is going to say something to jamie that is going to make him rethink everything, like why the fuck am I still going for this girl, so he sacrifices himself to let Tyrion go.
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Bek wrote: »
    The theon/reek thing works better in the books because they have more time to build on his mutation into reek. But yes, excellent episode.
    Really? Maybe by contrast, but I thought it was too abrupt/rushed in the books.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    iconoplast wrote: »
    Really? Maybe by contrast, but I thought it was too abrupt/rushed in the books.

I was thinking it feels longer in the books. Maybe its a mixture of Reek being an older concept (along with Ramsay's interactions with Theon), the way the book really gets into Theon's head, and the long gap between book 3 and 5.

That and I don't remember Asha or any other Ironborn staging such a rescue attempt. That might have gone down a lot differently.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I watched last night episode and I was like... "Oh no. Tywin gonna makes Jamie fights Tyrion or Tyrion's champion. And Jamie gonna get killed off." T_T

But then I scouted the Internet and spoiled myself a bit <_<"
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    cryrid wrote: »
    I was thinking it feels longer in the books. Maybe its a mixture of Reek being an older concept (along with Ramsay's interactions with Theon), the way the book really gets into Theon's head, and the long gap between book 3 and 5.

That and I don't remember Asha or any other Ironborn staging such a rescue attempt. That might have gone down a lot differently.
    Asha tried to but couldn't find him.
    I do agree that it's a more thorough and interesting perspective in the books, but the methodology couldn't have translated well to television. That long gap could definitely be a contributing factor -- I'd forgotten it was quite that long.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've all missed the most pertinent part of the episode - Stannis is actually doing stuff!
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    stannis is annoying imo always whining about his right to the throne - clearly no one has a right to the iron throne