Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• Coontang
    Offline / Send Message
    Coontang polycounter lvl 5
    Dataday wrote: »
    In short its the same price as the indie pack

Yes it was late and I didn't realise they were also discounted separately. They have also offered me the 30 materials if I do buy everything else.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers!

The material picker is already a massive improvement.

For those of you haven't tried them, the black/white layer masks are great. Jerc -when you go into Layer Mask Painting mode it's be great if there was an easier swatch for switching between black and white. Also, you could make it more obvious that you were painting Materials/Masks. The material thumbnail switching in grayscale is OK, but it's not the most obvious thing.

Ricks top tip of the day - create a nice paint effect by adding height to your paint material and leaving it at about 0.075.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    ( I was going to add an image, but my portfolio has been suspended for some reason)
  • JuanManuel
    How so?

Current prices on steam:
    Painter $75
    Designer $50
    B2M $25

Total: $150

In short its the same price as the indie pack, you can buy Designer and B2M sperately and not lose out on the deal. Allegorithmic is smart enough to know you dont have one deal and then trump it with another that would make the first buyers feel jipped. Give them some credit, I think they know what they are doing.

The bundle, I assume, is just a marketing approach to sell and bring attention to the new "indie" licensing and the new painter application as part of a growing texturing suite.

*Shock* I bought Substance Designer LAST WEEK! I should have waited a bit longer!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    JuanManuel wrote: »
    *Shock* I bought Substance Designer LAST WEEK! I should have waited a bit longer!

Substance Designer was on sale on steam for $34 not too long ago.
  • JuanManuel
    ZacD wrote: »
    Substance Designer was on sale on steam for $34 not too long ago.
    Snif snif.
    Anyway, I'm having lots of fun with designer, so not everything is bad... :)
  • JuanManuel
    I went ahead and bought into the bundle anyway. Substance Designer has restored my faith on the whole nodal workflow, and Substance Painter, even in beta, is pretty good. No regrets, I see it as money well spent.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Hey dont feel so bad, I purchased the commercial version which at the time was around $300 before they changed their license for the non commercial to be used commercially. Its the nature of how things work, good company though, good people. Its worth it.
  • JuanManuel
    I actually feel I'm supporting the developers. The price difference is not that big all things considered, AND I am quite liking the programs.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Need better library support for materials - you can specify a material library on the object and save it, but it'd be good to import libraries

There is no material search?

Masking
    Need to be able to enable/disable masks
    Need to be able to import a mask from an image.
    Need to be able to copy and paste masks from one material to another. Possible live linking of masks so that I make a change to the base mask and that updates the references.
    Toying with the idea of multiple mask layers, so layer 1 is the base mask (possibly referenced) and the next layer mask is a modifier to that.
    Need to make it much easier to know if a mask is active.
    Copy a mask from a layer to a folder

Saving Tools/Materials/Brushes
    The right click tools menu should be context sensitive - if you are in the material section the choice is to save Material. If you are in the Brush section the choice is to save brush.

If you are in the Materials window the right click menu should have "Save current material as new material"

If you right click on a Material there should be an option (with warning!) "Update this material with current material". This would help with the need to be able to edit an existing material without saving a new one and deleting the old.

Models
    Please include the following meshes as standard:
    1m cube
    1m plane
    1m sphere
    1m cylinder

Copy those from Substance Designer.

I'd love to be able to have local lights as well as the IBL.
    I find the PBR Quality and PBR Environment choices are the wrong way round in the UI. Maybe just me.

How to I create a stencil? How can I import these?

Importing a mesh normal doesn't feel like a good workflow. Instead you should just import images as usual and have the ability to assign an imported texture as the normal - you can already drag images from the library into brushes and fill layers, this functionality should be the same

Please include more materials!
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    This is pretty much like old school bodypaint 3d with an upgrade. Does Sub Painter have a paint bucket fill?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple more.

The ability to convert the quick painted mask into a layer mask
    The ability to convert a painted layer into a mask - since sometime you've painted a shape and most of the layer is empty.
    Select a mask on one layer as an selection and then use that as a quick mask
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @Rick Stirling

There is no material search?

=> Not yet, we will add it as the material library grows.

Masking
    Need to be able to enable/disable masks
    Need to be able to import a mask from an image.
    Need to be able to copy and paste masks from one material to another. Possible live linking of masks so that I make a change to the base mask and that updates the references.
    Toying with the idea of multiple mask layers, so layer 1 is the base mask (possibly referenced) and the next layer mask is a modifier to that.
    Need to make it much easier to know if a mask is active.
    Copy a mask from a layer to a folder

=> All of these are interesting, the first 2 should be there pretty soon.

Saving Tools/Materials/Brushes
    The right click tools menu should be context sensitive - if you are in the material section the choice is to save Material. If you are in the Brush section the choice is to save brush.

If you are in the Materials window the right click menu should have "Save current material as new material"

=> Interesting ideas indeed.

If you right click on a Material there should be an option (with warning!) "Update this material with current material". This would help with the need to be able to edit an existing material without saving a new one and deleting the old.

=> Yes, we need that option.

Models
    Please include the following meshes as standard:
    1m cube
    1m plane
    1m sphere
    1m cylinder

Copy those from Substance Designer.

=> Yup, at least the cube/plane for texturing environment tiling stuff.

I'd love to be able to have local lights as well as the IBL.
    I find the PBR Quality and PBR Environment choices are the wrong way round in the UI. Maybe just me.

=> Big improvements to the viewport are coming very soon.

How to I create a stencil? How can I import these?

=> To create a stencil, switch to the stencil tool and save your material. Any material can be used as a stencil when in Stencil mode.

Importing a mesh normal doesn't feel like a good workflow. Instead you should just import images as usual and have the ability to assign an imported texture as the normal - you can already drag images from the library into brushes and fill layers, this functionality should be the same

=> Agreed

Please include more materials!

=> We are currently building a library of over 100 tweakable materials.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    A couple more.

The ability to convert the quick painted mask into a layer mask
    The ability to convert a painted layer into a mask - since sometime you've painted a shape and most of the layer is empty.
    Select a mask on one layer as an selection and then use that as a quick mask
    Those are coming.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Is there any way to get hold of the PBR materials included in the indie pack? I invested early in Substance (3 and 4) and Painter, but the PBR mats don't seem to be listed anywhere outside of the indie deal?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yep, please send us a request through our contact form.
  • Michael Knubben
    Jerc: can we get those if we only have Substance painter and Designer, not b2m?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Send us an email :)
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »

I picked up B2M anyways since its on sale for about $25 on steam. Now that it can be used commercially, I would recommend grabbing it anyway. I was actually surprised at how fast you can pump out different maps, even if you take into painter or designer afterwards.

Extremely useful, saves a lot more time in the process.
  • iskandar80
    Offline / Send Message
    iskandar80 polycounter lvl 6
    I picked up B2M anyways since its on sale for about $25 on steam. Now that it can be used commercially, I would recommend grabbing it anyway. I was actually surprised at how fast you can pump out different maps, even if you take into painter or designer afterwards.

Extremely useful, saves a lot more time in the process.

The sale on Steam is actually over, but it's still the case directly on Allegorithmic's Website for a few more days :)
  • CrazyMatt
    The price for the indie pack on their website is cheaper anyway than what was on Steam. Insta-Buy!
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Sometimes pen pressure controlled stroke starts with 100% opacity. A bug probably. Do you know any workarounds to avoid this for now?

edit: OK, a got a simple workaround. Just hold the brush in place for 0.5 sec, with any pressure, then paint the stroke.
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    iskandar80 wrote: »
    The sale on Steam is actually over, but it's still the case directly on Allegorithmic's Website for a few more days :)

What's the advantage of buying the software on Steam as oppose to buying it off your website?
  • iskandar80
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    What's the advantage of buying the software on Steam as oppose to buying it off your website?

There is no specific advantage, except perhaps the fact that you can use your Steam ID on any computer, meaning that you can use your Substance Painter Steam license on any computer (like a floating license). You also get automatic updates on Steam.

On the other hand, you need to have Steam running in the background and Valve is taking a 30% cut, haha.
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    There is no specific advantage, except perhaps the fact that you can use your Steam ID on any computer, meaning that you can use your Substance Painter Steam license on any computer (like a floating license). You also get automatic updates on Steam.

On the other hand, you need to have Steam running in the background and Valve is taking a 30% cut, haha.

I love the whole floating license thing.

Any idea when the next Steam sale is happening?
  • iskandar80
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic wrote: »
    I love the whole floating license thing.

Any idea when the next Steam sale is happening?

No specific sale planned at the moment BUT Substance Painter is currently at -50% during beta and I wouldn't bet on higher discount, even during the Steam Sales :)
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    No specific sale planned at the moment BUT Substance Painter is currently at -50% during beta and I wouldn't bet on higher discount, even during the Steam Sales :)

Cool.

Do I get all the updates and a floating license if I buy off the Allogrithmic website?

(I'm looking at the Indy pack)

Edit: Sorry, saw the info on the website. :poly142:
  • Arkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkham polycounter lvl 7
    I've been giving the trial a shot and am strongly considering buying this.

One thing has been giving me trouble though - I can't get Substance Painter to respond properly to pressure on my Wacom tablet. I made sure the little buttons next to Size and Flow were set properly (they were by default) and my tablet is working fine in other applications (e.g. ZBrush, Photoshop), and the program can detect strokes/clicks from the tablet just fine, but I just can't seem to get SP to respond at all to the pressure sensitivity.
    Not sure if I'm missing something? The model is a Bamboo that I got several years back (around 2008 or 2009 or so). Would appreciate some help figuring this out.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hmm that's weird, I'm using a Bamboo (new one) too and don't have any issues, we have had reports of Painter working well with Cintiq and no issues whatsoever on Intuos tablets. Are you sure your tablet drivers are up to date? I can't think of anything else that could cause that.
  • Avvi
    Offline / Send Message
    Avvi polycounter lvl 3
    Arkham wrote: »
    I just can't seem to get SP to respond at all to the pressure sensitivity.
    Not sure if I'm missing something? The model is a Bamboo that I got several years back (around 2008 or 2009 or so)

I have 2008 Wacom Bamboo model and everything works fine for me.
    Did you use this option and one of basic brushes, not physics-based?

substance-pressure.png
  • Arkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkham polycounter lvl 7
    Avvi wrote: »
    I have 2008 Wacom Bamboo model and everything works fine for me.
    Did you use this option and one of basic brushes, not physics-based?

substance-pressure.png
    Yup, made sure I switched to a basic brush and not a particle brush and made sure the dot was on the filled-in option (I tried a few of the basic ones, actually, and switched the pen pressure option on and off just to make sure). But no dice.
    I guess it's good to hear someone with the same model can get the pressure sensitivity to work, but it's odd that I can't... not sure what else could be going wrong.
    Jerc wrote: »
    Hmm that's weird, I'm using a Bamboo (new one) too and don't have any issues, we have had reports of Painter working well with Cintiq and no issues whatsoever on Intuos tablets. Are you sure your tablet drivers are up to date? I can't think of anything else that could cause that.
    While my Wacom drivers do appear to be pretty old, attempting to update them simply results in a message saying that I have the best possible driver available. Not sure if there's a driver out there that I'd have to manually install or something.
    q0TVH2X.jpg
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You should try downloading them directly from here: http://us.wacom.com/en/support/drivers
  • Arkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkham polycounter lvl 7
    You should try downloading them directly from here: http://us.wacom.com/en/support/drivers
    That did it! Pressure sensitivity now works for me in Substance Painter. Thank you very much for helping me out with that.

Went ahead and bought the program -- I'm already impressed, and I can't wait to see how you guys continue to develop it further.
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    In the long-run, I think Substance Painter needs to aim towards becoming the more artist-friendly front-end for Substance Designer. Production artists need things to be super streamlined, but to still give them control. Aren't layers really just a simplified, linear set of nodes? Couldn't they function as such?

Artists need an easy way to bake mesh/maps and make them into a package of inputs that all layers can find/use without extra work. Substances (from designer) should be able to be used as adjustment layers, filters, black boxes with inputs, or have custom behavior like bringing over input maps that you can then paint on (strength maps to drive node behavior), stuff like that.

As a more technical artist, if I can leverage Substance Designer to make substances that function as tools that can be brought into painter and used super easily, or made part of a library so artists can mix and match really easily - that sound really useful. I want to make it so that artists can leverage my technical work really simply and quickly, and I can't help but think that Painter is the right path to do that.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    cman2k wrote: »
    Artists need an easy way to bake mesh/maps and make them into a package of inputs that all layers can find/use without extra work. Substances (from designer) should be able to be used as adjustment layers, filters, black boxes with inputs, or have custom behavior like bringing over input maps that you can then paint on (strength maps to drive node behavior), stuff like that.
    I just came out of a heated meeting on that very subject :)
    This is definitely where we want to bring Substance Painter in the coming months.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    A new build is up!

Main changes include:
    • Added: Allow negative values in the color selector for height map painting
    • Added: Show preview of the picked material/color
    • Added: Add shortcuts for the Tools in the Toolbar (1,2,3,4)
    • Added: Switch Normal format (OpenGL vs DirectX) globally on a project
    • Added: New Project wizard
    • Updated: Spacing slider is no longer clamped
    • Updated: Sliders Style
    • Updated: Make Color picker non modal
    • Updated: Selecting a material into the library set the tool type accordingly
    • Fixed: Import mesh path is not preserved
    • Fixed: Wrong textures generation
    • Fixed: Crash on startup

The Material Color Picker preview is pretty cool :)

qFHcdde.png

Also, Gee Yeung, from Dreamworks, shows some Painter action for visual development work over here.
  • womball
    Does your mesh to have uvs and a high poly count to work on nicely in painter? Like zbrush or can you paint on low poly meshes without restraints in resolution?

And is it better to get the indie license or the steam license?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Indie and Steam license are the same, you can request a stand alone key on our website when you buy the Steam version and vice versa.

The polycount doesn't matter, you can paint on very low poly meshes with a very good precision contrary to Mudbox or ZBrush.
  • womball
    With the steam license is that floating as opposed to the indie license?

And why isn't there a stickied painter thread?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, the Steam license allows you to use Painter wherever you connect to your Steam account, but buying from us directly will give you access to a Steam key also, so it really is the same thing in the end.
  • JuanManuel
    Question no. 1
    Yes, the Steam license allows you to use Painter wherever you connect to your Steam account, but buying from us directly will give you access to a Steam key also, so it really is the same thing in the end.

I bought recently painter via your website and just linked my steam account to my allegorithmic account. The allegorithmic account now shows I purchased substance painter (yay!).

However, I don't seem to find where is the steam key you mention...

Question no. 2...

If I enter into my account to download substance painter, there does not appear to be a new build there... Same thing happens inside painter if I check for updates. So how does one get the new build?

Cheers :)
  • RH2
    Offline / Send Message
    RH2 polycounter lvl 5
    A new build is up!

I'm guessing the update will start downloading as soon as they propagate to the steam servers. awesome :poly124:
  • MDiamond
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10

Woah that's fantastic. I really hope more programs make use of floating licenses, it greatly reduces the problem of a studio not having/not wanting to pay an application you can't live without.

Edit: Any idea on when Substance Database will be updated to PBR materials?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    So, stencils are the thing i've played around with the least, but is it possible to set up stencils using things like: http://www.surfacemimic.com/gallery/media.details.php?mediaID=MDI2MWUxZTcwODMwYw== by having the stencil call a normal, height, and albedo map?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, actually all the stencil materials shipped by default do exactly that, they are multi-channel surfacemimic scans and paint on all channels at the same time.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    JuanManuel wrote: »
    Question no. 1

I bought recently painter via your website and just linked my steam account to my allegorithmic account. The allegorithmic account now shows I purchased substance painter (yay!).
    However, I don't seem to find where is the steam key you mention...

I'm in the same boat. Clicking the 'Get all apps licenses of your steam account' button doesn't seem to do anything either.
  • JuanManuel
    So, I checked again and finally the new build appeared in the allegorithmic account page. Had to download it without using firefox as that seems to corrupt the download. Installed. And, it reports that there is a newer version that is the previous build!
    Nothing to worry about, it is a beta after all :)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    New Substance Painter beta is up on Steam and on the website!

Today we are introducing one more awesome feature: Seamless 2D painting!
    I'm quite excited to know what you guys think about this one :)

Also, the next sprint just started and we are now working hard on bringing Multi-material support as well as Adjustment layers and Substance Effects in the next few weeks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPJWU-732-0&list=UU-toy9WMImypmLAiU9h_SzQ"]Substance Painter: Seamless 2D painting tools and next-gen 2D/3D view - YouTube[/ame]

I did a quick walkthrough video of the new features:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fpW9C5il_U&list=UU-toy9WMImypmLAiU9h_SzQ"]Substance Painter Beta 3 walkthrough: seamless 2D painting tools and next-gen 2D & 3D view - YouTube[/ame]
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff. Love the new style you are pushing with these video intros as well.