Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @perna: I'm all for supporting normal maps edition and that's something we will add further down the line I'm sure, and there are cases where using normal maps will probably be mandatory because heightmaps won't work, for very large steep surfaces for example.

What I'm saying is that painting normal maps is not practical in 3D. You can't paint normal map with a brush, you can't paint normal map with a rotatable stencil, etc. You have to paint height info which is then converted into a normal.

As Painter is a painting tool first (you can layer pre-existing normal maps fine in Designer, no need to use Painter for that) it made more sense for us to adopt a workflow that can deal with painting relief on an object first before thinking about layering pre-existing normal maps.

I don't know all the details about Megascans, but it would be very prejudicial for the service if they didn't come with height maps, as competitors already do :(

My point is, we went with this approach because it was easier in the scope of a 3D simple painting app: no need to care about normalization, greyscale heightmaps are easy to read and easy to create, they can be used in any way you want in 3D...

That workflow may change in the future, the tool is far from complete and development will probably never stop, we may add the ability to use different normal map based workflows, but right now this is how it works and from the feedback we are getting, people are happy with it.

I get your concern about the lack of definitiion of height maps compared to normal maps though but this is only valid for normal maps baked from high poly data as any normal obtained through Knald or similar software is ultimately derived from height information, and if the height and normal maps outputs don't match, it's the software's fault :)
    I can process any image in B2M and have exactly matching normal and height results.

And you may be happy to hear that someone is actually revamping the lighting system in both SD and SP at this very moment :)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, always appreciated even if harsh.
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Is there any way to increase the resolution of the included substances? For example ,if I use the car paint matte on a 2k texture and adjust the paint_peeling slider I get a highly pixelized result.

SubsPainter_Prob.png
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Is there any way to increase the resolution of the included substances? For example ,if I use the car paint matte on a 2k texture and adjust the paint_peeling slider I get a highly pixelized result.

Something like this?
    These are the only two fields I can think of that can up the "resolution", one literally and the other via scale, just make sure to have repeat turned on.

scale.jpg
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There is a bug in the latest build that seems to restrict the resolution of some substance materials to 256 while they should adapt to the resolution of the document, we are working on it. Sorry for the trouble.
  • electricsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    electricsauce polycounter lvl 11
    Jerc wrote: »
    There is a bug in the latest build that seems to restrict the resolution of some substance materials to 256 while they should adapt to the resolution of the document, we are working on it. Sorry for the trouble.

Good to know. Is there any chance that it will be patched within the next week? I'm using it for the slice of life challenge which end jul 8th.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Really enjoying Substance Painter so far. I noticed a possible bug, so thought I'd mention it here.

For some reason the metallic channel was occluding the PBR render and displaying as black as opposed to metallic (it was not reflecting light when it should have been).

When I set up a new scene and replicated the conditions (same diffuse, roughness, and metallic) the model was being rendered properly, and the metallic was reflecting the HDRI as opposed to appearing as black.

The new scene was using the same settings as the old scene. The MTL (metallic) and RGH (roughness) layers you can see in the image below are using the exact same information. The thumbnails look slightly different in the new scene because in the old scene I painted in the diffuse then disabled the diffuse for these layers, while in the new scene I only painted in the roughness and metallic channels.

I tested out the preset materials that come with Substance Painter and they had the same effect, occluding areas that are white in the Metallic channel in the old scene's PBR rendered viewport, while working as expected in the new scene (which uses the same mesh).

SubPaint_MetallicBug.jpg
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Hey there,

i have a question
    First off I Just wanted to say that i really like the applications you make thanks.

Anyway the question

In Substance Painter, will/is it possible to import your own SD materials en effects like edge-wear and metal. And if so would these still be interactive?
    Same counts for the Paint/Projection materials.
    thanks

O and i saw in the road map that you guys are planning on a strait-line brush. would a lazy brush not be nice :D just saying
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The lazy brush is also planned.
    And yes you can bring any material or filter made with SD in SP and still have access to all the parameters. You will have to publish it as an sbsar first though, and then import it either by placing it in the library in your documents/Substance Painter folder or through the File menu, Import Substance.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the fast response.
    Well yeah i do get them in to the program and see them in the shelf but i can't find were to put them or the location to configure them, Has Wes a video on that maybe ?
    And to clarify my question a bit, I am trying to paint with an SD material with no inputs, like needed for the fill layer Substance effect.

Thanks again
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I'd like to make a request, though it might already be on your todo list at some point.

With the newest stencil video out, could we have a toggle that turns off the wrap around mode (tiling stencil). When dealing with individual alphas, it can get extremely distracting and noisy.

See: http://youtu.be/scsuZd_uSHE?t=6m53s
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Bertmac wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast response.
    Well yeah i do get them in to the program and see them in the shelf but i can't find were to put them or the location to configure them, Has Wes a video on that maybe ?
    And to clarify my question a bit, I am trying to paint with an SD material with no inputs, like needed for the fill layer Substance effect.

Thanks again

Select an existing material, then drag and drop your substance from the shelf to the Material slot in the Tool window. Then right click in an empty part of the Tool window to save it to the library as a new material. (Right click again in the library and hit save to make sure you keep the material for your other projects).

This workflow is being modified right now and should get much better in the coming weeks.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got it. i didn't see the slot above the diffuse in the tool box.
    Very very nice
    thanks for your help
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Dataday wrote: »
    I'd like to make a request, though it might already be on your todo list at some point.

With the newest stencil video out, could we have a toggle that turns off the wrap around mode (tiling stencil). When dealing with individual alphas, it can get extremely distracting and noisy.

See: http://youtu.be/scsuZd_uSHE?t=6m53s

We have something about that in our backlog, along some other improvements. :)
  • trebor777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trebor777 polycounter lvl 10
    hello people!
    is it me or, you can't paint accross 2 different materials?
    I'm trying to fix some texture seams between 2 separated meshes, that have their own texture set.

Also, how do you start from an existing diffuse? (like you already have a map and want to paint over?
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    trebor777 wrote: »
    hello people!
    is it me or, you can't paint accross 2 different materials?
    I'm trying to fix some texture seams between 2 separated meshes, that have their own texture set.

Also, how do you start from an existing diffuse? (like you already have a map and want to paint over?

Hi! For now, when you paint, only 1 texture set is available (due to performances management).

To start from existing maps here is the process:
    - Import your bitmaps (File>Import bitmaps or add them in the project when you start a new one).
    - Create a "Fill layer" and click on the channel you need to fill with a bitmap (Diffuse for example), and select the one you want.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys,

Is it possible to take a render from Substance Painter other than print screen / windows snipping tool?

It'd be awesome if there were some lasso tools and some vectors in.

I'm really enjoying the package atm :).

Cheers

Greg
  • Aboulicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aboulicious polycounter lvl 4
    Is there a way to import a mesh after creating a new project?

I dont want to loose the layers. I just want to change the mesh and the imported maps!
    So i dont loose the color and adjustments of the layers. becaus i want to make a whole scene with the same tint of color!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Showster wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Is it possible to take a render from Substance Painter other than print screen / windows snipping tool?

It'd be awesome if there were some lasso tools and some vectors in.

I'm really enjoying the package atm :).

Cheers

Greg
    For the moment you can't, but this could a new feature. We will think about it. :)

Is there a way to import a mesh after creating a new project?

I dont want to loose the layers. I just want to change the mesh and the imported maps!
    So i dont loose the color and adjustments of the layers. becaus i want to make a whole scene with the same tint of color!

Yep, be sure that on your re-imported mesh you keep the same material names, otherwise you will loose your layers. To re-import your mesh go to Edit -> Project configuration and select your new mesh.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Does anyone know how to configure roughness and metallic to work like Unreal 4? Since UE4 inverts the values, so 0 being rough and 1 being metallic. Unless I'm missing out on some way to just invert those maps I make in substance in Unreal 4

EDIT: Nevermind I think it is actually correct in Substance anyway.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Since the latest update (0.11.0) there have been some changes and they're causing me problems. Maybe there are some functions I'm missing, but I haven't been able to find them yet.

In the previous version when painting with a material, you could zoom out of the 2D canvas to change the scale of a 'Projected materials' or projected texture. In the new version the scaling only occurs when zooming out of the 3D viewport and not the 2D canvas when using 'Material Presets' (which I assume is a merger of the 'Paint materials' and 'Projection materials' from the previous version). Is there a way to scale in the 2D canvas? I know you can create a fill layer and scale it between 0-10 in x & y in the Tool palette, but this isn't always enough.

Also in the previous version I loved to use the 'Projection materials' and Stencils to projection paint my textures. I can't seem to do this in the new version. When I choose a Stencil to paint with in my Tool palette I can only use black and white images. When I try and projection paint using 'Material presets' I can only 'stamp' the projection, and not paint it. If I paint a brush across the 2D map or 3D mesh then the texture just smudges over itself.

Any help with these problems would be greatly appreciated :)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The material library is in an intermediate state right now.
    To paint using projection, choose the projection tool in the main toolbar (under the eraser, or hit '3') and then choose your material.
    I'm not sure I understand the issue about scaling. You an scale any projected material using the S key and the right mouse button. I am having the same behavior in the 2D and 3D view when zooming in and out though.
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry if this has been answered already but can you only use the effects if you have substance loaded?
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the speedy reply! This sorted out my problems. I just forgot about the projection brush because I was used to it auto-switching before when using the projection materials/stencils, and also forgot about the scale key, so sorry!

I shared your facebook page's 15th October release date on my facebook wall, hope that makes up for my forgetfulness! :)
  • CoD67
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CoD67 polycounter lvl 10
    Hi , I'm having trouble switching between Substance Painter and Substance Designer . I couldn't get it to display correctly in Substance Designer .
    This is what it's like in substance Painter
    e0w3plS.png
    Here's in substance Designer
    QVulRh8.png
    I lost most of the details ( Dirt , Edge Wear and the numbers )

Thanks in advance :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    What texture size do you have in Designer ? 2K ?
    Do you get a similar quality result if you switch to 1K in Designer ?
  • CoD67
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CoD67 polycounter lvl 10
    Texture Size = 2K in SD , I tried switching to 1k and still get the same result .
    I think is problem is related to the exporting process . The exported textures are different from the textures shown in Substance painter .
    Exported textures :
    Diffuse :
    wQR4Zhz.jpg
    Roughness
    Xgm9l03.jpg
    Metallic
    pUsAqF0.jpg
    Textures in Substance Painter :
    Diffuse
    cpTwzDQ.jpg
    Roughness
    4jEPF0g.jpg
    Metallic
    GXW2ZGe.jpg
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    So you exported your maps from Designer as an sbsar, and when you exported them as bitmap it gives a better result ?
  • CoD67
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CoD67 polycounter lvl 10
    I didn't export anything from Substance Designer , I exported my maps from Substance Painter and then import it into Substance Designer .
    Edited : The textures I posted above are the textures exported from Substance Painter and the textures below it are the textures shown in Substance Painter's viewport , I captured it by prtScn
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Ha ! I understand a bit better your problem now.
    What version of Substance Painter do you use ? We fixed some problems in the last build with the exporting process. However, I think we still have some bugs regarding the convertion from the Metalness to Reflectance workflow during the export. What workflow are you using in Designer ? Is it metalness ?
  • CoD67
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CoD67 polycounter lvl 10
    I use Substance Painter Beta 11 Build 450 - the steam version . And yes , I use metalness in SD .
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Strange, I don't see what could cause the issue then. I will investigate that at the office tomorrow and let you know.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Just to follow up :

Since the last beta (11) we updated the channel names. By default we now have a channel named "Base Color", simply to match the Metalness workflow (heavily influenced by the Unreal Engine 4).

During the export we have an automated process that convert the textures from metalness (BaseColor/Metallic/Roughness) to Reflectance (Diffuse/SpecColor/Gloss). Therefore we now have a BaseColor and a Diffuse texture that serve different purpose.

Sorry for the confusion, this should have been explained better.
  • rswelch64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bought the Indie pack yesterday. All the online tutorials show a Diff map option. I had to put my Diffuse maps under Color. Has the latest Substance Painter dropped the reference to Diff map in favor of Color map. Am I missing something?

I see Color, Height, rough...... Instead of Diff, Height, rough...... in the menu on the right and in the list of document options in the upper left corner.

Thanks,

Robert
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, it's a change me made across Painter and soon Designer and Player to fit with more closely with UE4. It also makes more sense as not only the diffuse but also the reflection color is stored in the Color output when using the Metalness workflow.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    New little video showing some real-time wear and tear action :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBPBRtZwNPY"]Substance Painter: real-time creativity - YouTube[/ame]
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Awesome vid Jerc :)
    Very cool the effects

Cool tank is the work of derGoldstein @ BlenderArtist and offered on blendswap.
    I used to just to try and get around the interface.
    I'm sure I'm not setting it up right or material id's or... Truth be Told....
    (I know not, what I do) (
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Question. I just downloaded the latest Beta:

Substance Painter, version 0.12.1
    Build 464 - ce36fab5ced3511e8d956ada89376f4028b8f5d3

and had an issue with starting up the scene with a simple cube model. I knew I had been putting off downloading the latest GeForce Driver so I did that. Afterwords the issue was gone, but I'm now noticing the speed of the software is greatly slowed down. Before I was painting whole materials at once, now I have to paint every channel separately or it will slow to a grinding halt. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Edit: Never mind that, I'm pretty sure it was the cube I imported. My question then would be to confirm my suspicion that it was likely slowing down for attempting to update every side of the cube at once? I noticed with the default mesh that I'm slowing down a little once I paint on the arms, but not so much on the front details.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The latest build has introduced some slowdowns and we are still trying to track down the issue. Maybe overlapping polygons in the UV are one of these issues, thanks for the report.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Hi there, is there a way to contrain your strokes to a straight line (like holding shift in Photoshop?)
  • NormalTri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, I just got substance painter and have a question about masking and substance effects. When I import a mask for a layer and then apply an effect it overrides the mask that I want it to follow. How do I get the effect to keep my mask?
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mant1k0re not yet, but i thought i saw it on the roadmap. for now people use a stencil or when you go slow with the brush it looks like painter is very forgiving.

@NormalTri Put the effects layer in a folder and use your predefined mask on this folder.

Have fun
  • sebdeguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebdeguy polycounter lvl 3
    Thought I would share this one. 100% textured in Substance Painter. Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2.

Model by Christophe Desse (thanks man).

OR2IlH6.jpg
  • sebdeguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this one, this time I also did the rendering in Substance Painter (on top of texturing of course :) ):

Model and Design by Vincent Gradt.

Irp1uYZ.jpg
  • sebdeguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For this latter one, all textures are in 4K ;)
  • NormalTri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Bertmac Thank you that worked perfect :)
  • sebdeguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more! Model by Eddie Munoz.

pkhYAkJ.jpg
  • gtask
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks Awesome. I want to try it.
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Hi

I am just learning SP but i hit a realy bad blocker in my workflow
    I textured a PBR asset in SD, base metal grundge map etc.

Then for the details i am trying to import the substance in SP and paint oil leak damage etc, but i cannot get the substance into SP i have imported it but cannot get it into the layer or get any of the exported texture from SD into the layer stack of SP.

I can see my material into the material shelve but i cannot add it to my mesh. so as i result i cannot add details on my already created substance...

Am i doing it wrong?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You have to create a Fill layer (little bucket icon on top of the stack) and then you'll have a slot at the bottom in the Tools window to drag and drop your substance. If your outputs nodes have the right usage set up, everything should be plugged automatically.
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    thanks jerc it wasn't working because my outputs where probably wrongly setup. can you point me to in the right direction how to set them up correctly. (docs or tutorial) thanks