Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    select your materials, then right click-->move/rename. change the package name, then click OK to all. They should all reappear in a new package with the same material names. Just save it up and you are good to go.

*you can also do the same process with "create a copy" if you want to retain the original versions.
  • Daft.Eng
    Having huge problems here with unreal frontend.
    Can I build my game without It starting up In unreal 3 deathmatch?
    I just want to boot straight In to my map, this must be possible...
  • mazman34340
    Okay, so I am making a tree for a UDK environment. One issue that I have trouble solving is the change of value from light to dark on my leaves. I believe it's an issue with vertex normals, and I have tried the transfer attributes with both cones and a sphere. I suck at it.

Even trying multiple attempts at transferring vertex normals, the values still change drastically from light to dark and to me that looks unnatural and ugly. I guess I should post some pictures on another thread or does anyone know a good tutorial?
  • darknessbear
    Heyyy, does anyone know how to cure some flickering/shimmering in UDK? Generally just apparent in motion, with smaller things like my little lights and corners of emmisives ect. In my video it is super apparent... I'm relatively new to UDK so I haven't done everything quite yet. But I tried messing with post process effects, creating a post process chain and adjusting motion blur/aa ect. Not getting great results...

Any clues? Thanks!
  • ChristianGrey
    Offline / Send Message
    ChristianGrey polycounter lvl 3
    Reflective floor in "Routine".

Look at that
    rou1.jpg

I want to do similar shader so much, but i dont know where to start. That shader seems to be realtime, since it's reflecting the walking robot dynamically.

Any help would be helpful. Thx
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Reflective floor in "Routine".

Look at that
    rou1.jpg

I want to do similar shader so much, but i dont know where to start. That shader seems to be realtime, since it's reflecting the walking robot dynamically.

Any help would be helpful. Thx

Scene capture is what you want:

https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsCreatingDistortedReflection.html
  • PeteHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys!
    This shouldn't be too hard to figure out...I just cannot find any discussions on it.
    What I want to do it attach lights to a moving skeletal mesh. So for this I got a spinner car flying about, and want some simple lights attached to it.

And on a side note, anyone know if its fairly straight forward to import a animated camera from maya?
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    You will need to make a pointLightMoveable -- standard lights will not work. There are multiple ways of attaching the light. Here are a few :D

* In kismet, use an "attach to actor" (located in actor). hook up a "level loaded" (under event) to the in of the attach to actor. the target is your skeletal mesh, and the attachment is the light. click the attach to actor node and check the properties. enter the bone name you want to attach to and it should be good to go.

* click the point light moveable and check out it's properties (f4). click the white box next to "base skel component" (under attachment). click the lock button in the top right (this will lock your window). click on your skel mesh and then the green arrow next to base skel component. this should plug your skelmesh into the slot. next, specify the bone name under "base bone name".

* option three -- use unrealscript. i have no info on this one :P

You can use the same method for your animated camera. Export a bone that follows your camera (from your modeling package). import the bone and then attach a camera to it. boom, camera rig :)

hope this helps!!
  • PeteHawk
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    Cheers dude, results are working with the lights thanks.

I will give the camera rig a go next. What if I was to animate the 'Field of View' attributes in maya. Would it transfer that animation over the fbx? Or is there something else I need to do? Or maybe its not possible to do that part.
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    I have not gotten a 1:1 transfer with field of view. Maya's FOV and UDK's FOV seem to be a little different ... but very close. What I did was take a screenshot of my maya scene, then go into UDK and change the FOV until the edges of the screen match up.
  • Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
    So, I've got a few questions about UDK.

When developing with UDK are you able to do the bulk of your work in free then upgrade to commercial license for release.

Then, Most software company's tend to force their employees and now more recently some are recently stuff in user agreement that says we have all rights to what you make as in you lose control interest.

because everything else has been handle by users on 4chan, i'm curious about those two because i couldn't get an answer and its more or less the only thing holding me back from doing more on my own engine.
  • Hourences
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    You own everything you make. Else no one would still be in business or using Unreal.
  • Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences wrote: »
    You own everything you make. Else no one would still be in business or using Unreal.

thats not always true about the business part there are plenty of technology company's that take full advange of their users and there still having their products used even when some of theses changes we're secretly rolled in 2001.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    OK.

But what Hourences is getting at is that you will own all your personal work created in UDK.
    Epic wont own the rights to any of your stuff.

That being said though, a lot of games companies have a clause in the employee contract that states the rights to personal work belongs to the studio.
    You don't get it so much any more, but just be wary of that.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Can I get accurate reflections through the scenetexture? If yes, how? I tried it out but that I got was always bad in different ways. Like it was rotated, mirrored, not wrapped around my objects, etc. I tried out different vector transforms, but they not really worked.

I found this a lot earlier, this is why Im trying to make this, but there is no explanation about how it works:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115711&highlight=screen+space+fresnel

I wrote to the guy then, but he wasnt online for like a half year now :/

If anybody know how could I get this to work, I would be grateful.
    Or, if anybody know an another way to get reflections without scenecapture actors, that would be also good.
    Thanks !
  • VisceralD
    So I have imported FBX animations in to UDK several times now. But its just this one object it will import but the animation just wont work. In the editor the bones show up skinned correctly, but the animation just won't play. I know my setting are right because I imported other objects with the same settings.

things I tried
    1. closing in all open faces
    2. taking away my multiple materials
    3. making less bones
    4. making bones thicker in 3ds max
    I imported the FBX that i tried importing in to UDK back in to 3DS max, and it plays just fine.

Any ideas why its not playing because i think I'm all out
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    are you using an animset?
  • Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm a little curious does UDK support or more to the point could be made to support fly vertex or similar methods?

for those of you unsure, need for speed: carbon is a good example when you take a car into the garage and customize parts you'll have to scale holes and modify part to you're preferred style.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    What your are looking for is morph-targets and the components.

-Morph-target : allow you to deform the geometry on a vertex level. You have a base mesh and a copy of it deformed. Then in the engine you can blend between the two states. You can of course import multiple morph targets.

-Component system : UDK allow you to attach object on other objects. In your example (a car), you just need to split it in multiple parts and attach them where you want.
    In case you are using a skeletal mesh, you can use the socket system to place them more easily.

Dive a bit in the UDK documentation, you should find what you want :
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MorphTargets.html
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ActorComponents.html
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsCreatingAModularPawn.html
  • Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    What your are looking for is morph-targets and the components.

-Morph-target : allow you to deform the geometry on a vertex level. You have a base mesh and a copy of it deformed. Then in the engine you can blend between the two states. You can of course import multiple morph targets.

-Component system : UDK allow you to attach object on other objects. In your example (a car), you just need to split it in multiple parts and attach them where you want.
    In case you are using a skeletal mesh, you can use the socket system to place them more easily.

Dive a bit in the UDK documentation, you should find what you want :
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MorphTargets.html
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ActorComponents.html
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitGemsCreatingAModularPawn.html

I haven't had time to dive into UDK to find out to be honest, more just creating environmental assets and asking questions that i will need to know if i manage to get into UDK.

but i may read into this, because i will need to know how to offer the ablity to do low level deformation and depending if its supported the same level as lets say 3D Max offers and i know it would be better to support imports instead but sometimes its best to do something different something harder..
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    So this happened today!

The creator - http://an1y.blogspot.co.uk/

[vv]83641521[/vv]
  • HAWK12HT
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hi all :), Ok so been trying to get info on new UE4 about the real time lighting. Is it gonna be like Cryengine 3 or still based on same lightmap (lightmass) ?
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    So this happened today!

The creator - http://anly.blogspot.co.uk/

[vv]83641521[/vv]

mother...of god.
  • Loom-In-Essence
    This is a test post!!

Sorry guys, I cant seem to delete this post!! My bad :(
  • Loom-In-Essence
    Hello,

I am currently creating a modular level in UDK with only cubes. The concept is to create a few simple pieces that can be reused over and over. The problem I am having is with the specular highlight across any cube that has been rotated in UDK from its original position in Maya. In the picture below, I have modified the specular to a distinguishable purple hue for easy testing. As you can see, the regular cubes and the top right hand rounded corner piece are exactly the same rotation as it sits in Maya. The 3 other rounded corner pieces have been rotated to fit into place. See how the specular highlight is completely off???

wmLv9Dc.jpg?1Qia8GQo.jpg?1

I first triangulated the geometry then created hard edges before I exported them. These are the FBX Maya settings I used to bring them into UDK.

u3WTTaQ.jpg?1

These are the settings I used to import them into UDK. I have tried all 8 different combinations of switched on atributes to see if I could find that magic combination but the best result is the very top screenshot....
    Does anyone know how to fix this??? :polytwitch:
    I also tried Non-Directional lighting on the main shader but that just kills the specular. I want the spec hit but rolling naturally across all the cubes.

sbG53w3.jpg?1
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    from what I remember, the fix for this is to use UV coordinate Index 1 for your maps instead of the default coordinate index of 0. You can set this property in your Texture nodes in the material editor. I have yet to test this myself but it seems like other people have had success. Kind of a crappy workaround tho...
  • Loom-In-Essence
    @r4ptur3

That seems to be the consensus across all posts on the subject. Some claim that using a dominant directional light doesn't use UVs for calculating specular but I have tried it out for myself and that isnt the case for me. I have a sneeky suspicion that how many times I will need to reuse each of the pieces in my example by rotating them into place doesnt really have a solution. Thanks again for your quick response. :-)
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    Hi all :), Ok so been trying to get info on new UE4 about the real time lighting. Is it gonna be like Cryengine 3 or still based on same lightmap (lightmass) ?
    Lightmass is still used to compute the Global illumination : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gdc-2013-unreal-engine-4

I can't give more details unfortunately. :\
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Hi guys.

Prepare yourselves for an extremely noob-standard question...

I have only ever made individual props and small scenes at University. I am looking to create my first 'proper' environment using 3DS Max, UDK and Photoshop.

Is there a particular way that i should setup my 3DS Max scene in terms of my approach to texturing/materials?

I'm assuming it would be incorrect to just use individual standard slots for each static mesh as i would soon run out considering i am aiming to create a large exterior scene that will be populated with a large number of props....

Would i go about this initial setup by creating a multi/sub-object material system or some other way?

Again, my apologies for such a primitive question. I am familiar with the import/export processes, along with unit setup and creating my lightmap's.
    I've just never created a large environment/scene with multiple objects in it.

I appreciate any help i can get. I can finally start working on my environment once I have my approach confirmed! :P
  • couto607
    For some reason, I'm unable to build lightmass now. Last time I ran UDK it worked fine, but now I keep getting the error "SwarmCoordinator failed to be initialized". I've even tried re-installing UDK and it still persists.

Any ideas?
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    the swarm coordiantor is responsible for sending data to a render farm, having it processed and getting the finished data back (if i am not mistaken). I bet you have local swarm preferences somewhere.

does the lightmass window pop up? there's tons of settings related to swarm. try resetting them to default :) I thought if lightmass couldn't find swarm it'd just default to your local machine...
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I had this problem earlier, but I didn't care about it, but now I will need to work with small scale/high tiling textures again, so I would like to find a solution for this. The problem is that I get strange "lines" in the specular if I use small scale texture with high tiling. It looks like this from this distance but its even worse from further. Anyone know what is causing this, and how could I fix it?
    Thanks!
    ji50.jpg
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    couto607 wrote: »
    For some reason, I'm unable to build lightmass now. Last time I ran UDK it worked fine, but now I keep getting the error "SwarmCoordinator failed to be initialized". I've even tried re-installing UDK and it still persists.

Any ideas?

Your firewall might actually be blocking lightmass from running, because it apparently create some render server or something. Check if you got it blocked in there. My main problem was actually that my firewall kept asking for permission, because lightmass creates new folders every time it tries calculating.
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    @obscura

you are getting a moire pattern -- the data is so tiny it starts to shimmer and blend together. you are going to need to fade the material based on distance. the second material should not have the detail normal map. that way you'll get details up close and they should fade off at a distance.

another option is to turn down the detail normal map strength in the material. you will still get the moire pattern, but it should be less apparent at a distance.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks r4ptur3! So unfortunately there is no way to fix it without loosing the detail normalmap :/
  • Santewi
    Basically right now you have more detail than your screen can display.

Blurring your mipmaps could also work, if it doesn't the only thing you can do is fade out the detail based on distance like r4ptur3 said.

At least that way you can keep the detail up close and reduce the amount of high-scale detail when the camera is further away.
  • Butthair
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    I think you can change the texture filter setting to be Nearest. I've noticed that Epic's detail textures are set this way.
  • himejima
    Hi everyone,

I've successfully created a custom modular pawn and made it the player character. It's working fine, the animations from my custom animtree are working as expected, yet I'm unable to properly change the modular pawn's skeletal mesh components during the game (on runtime).

Right now, I'm able to add new skeletal mesh components at runtime, however I'm unable to delete the original skeletal mesh components... the result is that both old and new meshes appear "on top of each other"...

My code is as follow:

Player Controller Class:
    class JTPlayerController extends UTPlayerController
     config(JTGame);

exec function MudarModuloTorso()
    {
        JTPawn(Pawn).trocatorso();
    }

exec function MudarModuloPernas()
    {
        JTPawn(Pawn).trocapernas();
    }

defaultproperties
    {
        bBehindView=true;
        bForceBehindView=true;
    }

(Modular) Pawn Class:
    class JTPawn extends UTPawn placeable;

var(PersonaModular) SkeletalMeshComponent HeadSkeletalMesh;
    var(PersonaModular) SkeletalMeshComponent TorsoSkeletalMesh;
    var(PersonaModular) SkeletalMeshComponent LegsSkeletalMesh;

var SkeletalMeshComponent novotorso;
    var SkeletalMeshComponent novocu;

function trocatorso(){ //intended to swap the upper body
        self.DetachComponent(TorsoSkeletalMesh);
        novotorso = new (self) class'SkeletalMeshComponent';
        novotorso.SetSkeletalMesh(SkeletalMesh'MyPackage.modulotroncoM');
        novotorso.SetParentAnimComponent(Mesh);
        novotorso.SetShadowParent(Mesh);
        self.AttachComponent(novotorso);
    }

function trocapernas(){ //intended to swap the lower body
        self.DetachComponent(LegsSkeletalMesh);
        novocu = new (self) class'SkeletalMeshComponent';
        novocu.SetSkeletalMesh(SkeletalMesh'MyPackage.modulopernasM');
        novocu.SetParentAnimComponent(Mesh);
        novocu.SetShadowParent(Mesh);
        self.AttachComponent(novocu);
    }

defaultproperties
    {
        Begin Object Name=MyLightEnvironment
            bSynthesizeSHLight=TRUE
            bIsCharacterLightEnvironment=TRUE
        End Object
      Components.Add(MyLightEnvironment)
     LightEnvironment=MyLightEnvironment
      Components.Remove(WPawnSkeletalMeshComponent)

Begin Object Class=SkeletalMeshComponent Name=HeadSkeletalMeshComponent
            SkeletalMesh=SkeletalMesh'MyPackage.modulocabeca';
            AnimTreeTemplate=AnimTree'MyPackage.funcoesani1';
            AnimSets(0)=AnimSet'MyPackage.anitestes1';
            LightEnvironment=MyLightEnvironment;
       [bla bla bla]
      End Object
      HeadSkeletalMesh=HeadSkeletalMeshComponent
      Components.Add(HeadSkeletalMeshComponent)
      Mesh=HeadSkeletalMeshComponent

Begin Object Class=SkeletalMeshComponent Name=TorsoSkeletalMeshComponent
        SkeletalMesh=SkeletalMesh'MyPackage.modulotronco'
        [bla bla bla]
        ParentAnimComponent=HeadSkeletalMeshComponent
        ShadowParent=HeadSkeletalMeshComponent
      End Object
      TorsoSkeletalMesh=TorsoSkeletalMeshComponent
      Components.Add(TorsoSkeletalMeshComponent)

Begin Object Class=SkeletalMeshComponent Name=LegsSkeletalMeshComponent
        SkeletalMesh=SkeletalMesh'MyPackage.modulopernas'
        [bla bla bla]
        ParentAnimComponent=HeadSkeletalMeshComponent
        ShadowParent=HeadSkeletalMeshComponent
      End Object
      LegsSkeletalMesh=LegsSkeletalMeshComponent
      Components.Add(LegsSkeletalMeshComponent)
    }

Does anyone has any ideias on why this code isn't working as expected?
    I've already spent three days trying to fix this, but so far no solution works. I've searched everywhere but there isn't much help in this issue...
  • Neavah
    @himejima
    Have you tried using DetachFromAny() ?

I really quickly mocked up adding and removing components. with my simple setup, it works for me with this:
    exec function HerpDerp() //adding both Herp and Derp meshes, just wanted to test that I can readd the parts after removing them
    {
        Mesh.AttachComponentToSocket(HerpMesh, 'SandwichPoint'); //SandwichPoint is a socket I've used for other stuff
        Mesh.AttachComponentToSocket(DerpMesh, 'SandwichPoint');
        `log("Attaching both meshes to Sandsocket");
    }
    exec function Herp() 
    {
        HerpMesh.DetachFromAny();
        `log("Detaching HerpMesh");
    }
    exec function Derp()
    {
        DerpMesh.DetachFromAny();
        `log("Detaching DerpMesh");
    }

This is all done in the pawn (I'm extending UTPawn).
    I initially tried it with DetachComponent as well, and nothing happened. (I've never used DetachFromAny() before)
    I really don't know that much about adding/removing/swapping components... so maybe I'm completely off base... but I hope that helps.
  • himejima
    Thanks for the reply, Neavah!

I'll try using DetachFromAny()!
  • airdrummer
    Offline / Send Message
    airdrummer polycounter lvl 7
    I was working with UDK on Windows 8 just fine about a month ago. Just tried to launch on Windows 8.1 (recent update) and I get the "Built with UDK has stopped working". My Nvidia drivers are up to date. Any suggestions?

thx
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    airdrummer - any chance you're running UDK on a laptop? I had a similar issue and discovered that my default GPU preferences had been switched and UDK was trying to launch with the integrated graphics and not the Nvidia GPU.
  • airdrummer
    Offline / Send Message
    airdrummer polycounter lvl 7
    Dell 27 inch All in One (like the iMac of PC)
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Is there anyway to fix the polycount limit for emissive lighting? I didn't know that 5k tris was the max. Unbelievable considering the amount of polys weapons are pushing these days.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    airdrummer - Were you able to get it working?

Chase - I don't know how to overcome that limit, but I'm also not sure why you'd need to. What are you trying to achieve? Maybe we can figure out a work-around.
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    My model has metal slits in it that are suppose to glow. I was going to add a few point lights but it it more expensive, and doesn't necessarily glow in all the right areas.
  • Shift`
    Chase wrote: »
    My model has metal slits in it that are suppose to glow. I was going to add a few point lights but it it more expensive, and doesn't necessarily glow in all the right areas.

You could try breaking the mesh down into smaller pieces making the emissive part a separate mesh and then just preset them together.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hi Polycount,

Having a weird issue that I've not come across before. My rig is all gravy inside Maya, bones inside the body etc, joint orientations appear to be fine. But when I export (using ActorX) to UDK, and I open the skelmesh in the AnimSet Editor the skeleton is flipped outside of the body, so the animation naturally totally screws up.

I've tried the 'Skel Mirror/Mirror Flip Axis' things but they don't actually seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

57EFo.jpg

EDIT: OK so I tried reimporting it with a bunch of different settings, I tried combining the meshes that make up Wraith together and reskinning it, but nothing has worked so far. I also tried re-orienting the root joint incase it's LRA was flipped but I got nothing ...

DOUBLE EDIT: The local rotation axis of my reverse foot bones and my face bones was screwed, I baked the animation, deleted the problem bones and then reexported with ActorX and now it works :)
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried to bake lightmap for my landscape (landscape tool, not the old one) in UDK, and I've set the lightmap res to 16 and UDK crashed at around 90% of the baking process because of memory issues. I have 4gb from them. I know it isn't too much but the landscape size was 512 which also isn't too much. First question, is this normal? Second, Is there a way to use dynamic lighting on landscape? Because I don't see lighting channel options there if I hit f4, just a static lighting option. Third, If I can't use dynamic lighting with terrain that were made with the landscape tool, then how about day-night cycles? Also, I wanted to use torches to light up certain areas. How to go with them with landscape? Or should I use the old terrain tool if I would like to use any kind of dynamic lighting? Fourth, Any of these is better implemented in UE4? I would mainly interested about UDK (UE3) solutions, because I would like to make a thing that would run good on older pcs too.Thanks!
  • VisceralD
    So I have been really excited about layered materials ever since the infiltrator tech demo came out. So I figured out how to set things up, and it works. But the material just can't be saved. Here is the error I'm getting.
    dfbdfb.JPG

vb gnfgnbfgn.JPG