Home General Discussion

Dark Souls 2

Replies

• moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah Makkon... get past the difficulty, and the first hour, and accept it's going to piss you off for a bit... then it starts to suck your fucking life away with how addictively good it is.
    Gotta try it again.

also, when you can coop bosses... do it. It's way more fun experience and less grind.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    ...Incoming Footage...

uvpXlLb.png
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    I am a massive fan of the Souls games, and it took alot for me not to write a small novel as a response to this thread. The best way I can relate my experience with Dark Souls (and primarily why I think its a great game) is to compare it to Mega Man. Simple yet brilliantly elegant design which relies extremely on your skill. Nothing more, nothing less.

And in a market where "true" games arent the norm, it is a breath of fresh air to see a developer take such a risk.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Dark Souls is so fucking good. I borrowed it from a friend and it took 50 hours to beat my first playthrough. Bought it a few days ago and it's amazing how much faster it goes once you learn how to play it.

I am super excited for DS2. I'll be watching the video tomorrow!
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    The thing I loved about Souls games at first was the challenge they provided, no more storming through a game in 4-5 hours and never picking it up again. I also was faulty of getting frustrated and putting the game down for weeks on end because of an annoying boss that busted my ass each time but when I then picked the game up and beat the boss it was incredibly rewarding.

After I got "good" at the games and stopped dying all the time I fell in love with the RIDICULOUS amount of story that they've managed to squeeze into Dark Souls. I'd say that the story is something most people probably won't even be aware of while playing the game since it's mostly in item descriptions and interpreting the world (and the opening cinematic). So for those who don't have the time to puzzle out the story you can watch EpicNameBro's Dark Souls Lore Series for nice format where the story is laid out to you although I have to point out that there's still a huge bunch of story he hasn't covered in his videos. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Balq4yCcAJg&list=PL4825DBA198EBE9B9"]EpicNameBro's Dark Souls Lore Series[/ame]
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    glottis8 wrote: »
    ...Incoming Footage...

BRING IT ON

tumblr_mir6gdyKPE1rvqlfjo1_500.gif
  • 3DFM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    ...Incoming Footage...

VYiQuxu.gif
  • Ace-Angel
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I can't remember why I originally bought Dark Souls, especially for $60 and I hadn't heard anything about the game or player Demon Souls. Probably about 2 hours into the game (after the Taurus Demon) I was really enjoying the game. And farther after that, it became my favorite game ever. What really did it for me was the ambiance and level design.

It's hard to realize at first, but the entire world is connected and you might go through a door later in the game only to find yourself back where you started..I can't explain it, but there's a brilliant flow to the game.

The mood of the game is so rich. I can't recall now, but I don't even remember if the game had a music soundtrack--not because it wasn't memorable, but because the environment sound was so engrossing and well done. Desolate beaches in Ash lake, thick forests, empty, hollow sounding ruins. I think it's the perfect game to show visual art and sound combine to provide an awesome experience.

My only complaint was the lack of a successful multiplayer system on xbox...my bro and I live 900 miles apart, and we could never summon each other, but it sounds like they want to make that more accessible in the 2nd one. Will watch vid...DS1 is a 10/10.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/10/dark-souls-2-gameplay-reveal-coming

darksoulsii-ignjpg-a8ffb3_800w.jpg

looks like it still current gen graphics. a little disappointed, but no matter this will still be day one purchase for me.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta love the ost. Adds so much mood to the boss fights. Everything is dreadful, and then you face a huge boss, and the music kicks in... and its just epic. Can't wait to see how this new game is shaping up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB6sOhQan9Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB6sOhQan9Y[/ame]
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Memory wrote: »
    I can't remember why I originally bought Dark Souls, especially for $60 and I hadn't heard anything about the game or player Demon Souls. Probably about 2 hours into the game (after the Taurus Demon) I was really enjoying the game. And farther after that, it became my favorite game ever. What really did it for me was the ambiance and level design.

It's hard to realize at first, but the entire world is connected and you might go through a door later in the game only to find yourself back where you started..I can't explain it, but there's a brilliant flow to the game.

The mood of the game is so rich. I can't recall now, but I don't even remember if the game had a music soundtrack--not because it wasn't memorable, but because the environment sound was so engrossing and well done. Desolate beaches in Ash lake, thick forests, empty, hollow sounding ruins. I think it's the perfect game to show visual art and sound combine to provide an awesome experience.
    THIS! SOOOO MUCH THIS!

The world is drab and empty, but for some reason, not lonely, it feels like a thick blubber of whale depression on you a la Silent Hill or Shadow of the Col.

Not sure how they did it, but they did, and it worked wonders.

BTW, if you play it on PC like me, and don't have access to a controller, I suggest taking a look at this:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dark_Souls:_Prepare_to_Die_Edition

Saved me a bunch of headache.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.jeuxvideo.com/screenshots/images/00047/00047366_026.htm

Here are some screenshots.

It doesn't look as good as Edge was suggesting, but it's miles ahead of DaS in the graphic department. In fact, I would rather have current-gen graphics and stable framerate.

But holy shit. That fucking chariot. It's like Wheel Skeleton 2.0.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here i hope that they do a PC release that has good PC options. Like FOV... that would be uber helpful to have more of a view of the battlefield. 10 more mins until they show the new gameplay. woots!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BHgvD1ICYAAzBzy.jpg:large

Huh, no humanity? Nighht and day icons? What the hell is going on :poly142:
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still feels like a Dark Souls game! very dreadful... nothing much changed really... detail on the armor... some softer lighting maybe. But thats how it looks on PC with some tweaks.

LoL at the axe on the head... that was great.
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Not much information given, it LOOKS like Dark Souls? I did like the torch lighting bit, I could see you lighting it, dying, then coming back to not having the option to light again maybe? I hope more enemies do things like breaking through walls and such outside of scripted events. Thats one thing that I liked about Dark Souls, the relentless need for the enemies to come after you.

I still remain hesitant....but a tad more excited.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are doing QA right now, which is pretty much dispelling all the worries I had about the game.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/04/10/everything-you-want-to-know-about-dark-souls-2

I'm really pumped about it now :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the two IGN videos you need to watch. Gameplay video and Q&A video.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/10/dark-souls-2-gameplay-reveal-coming

Wow, it looks 10000000000x better. I remember being in the Undead Asylum and thinking that it was ugly, so gritty and over noisy, and too much black crunching. DS2 looks fantastic, still very dark and gothic, but not graphically so; more via art direction.

Also, the motions in combat look waaaaaaay more fluid. That's a small addition that adds a lot. Better animations, looks like your actually hit stuff. Particularly thinking of when he was wielding the axe in 1 hand, then hit the dog. That all looked so fluid and correct.

My thought is this gameplay vid was recorded on PC. I just hope they properly optimize DS2 so it doesn't have frame issues like DS1 did, especially if Blight Town.

Overall I am super excited!!!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah, did you play it on PC? where you having fps issues on pc?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No I played on 360. I like my 3rd person adventure games on console.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NOOOOO! Enemies that fall back on you if you sneak attack? NOOOOOO! Sons of a bonefire...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    NOOOOO! Enemies that fall back on you if you sneak attack? NOOOOOO! Sons of a bonefire...

I hope that means there is some way to counter backstabs in PVP. If they do that, it's GOTYAY for me.
  • tottot
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Has more of a Demon's Souls vibe. In terms of atmosphere and what appears to be the healing items mechanic from Demon's (which I hated). Looking good though, always welcome a new adventure.

Now all that concerns me is online play. Invasions and co-oping. Footage on youtube for those that care, probably will be removed. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA1s9v2Ab8w"]Dark Souls 2 Gameplay Reveal - 12 Minute Demo (IGN) - YouTube[/ame]
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No I played on 360. I like my 3rd person adventure games on console.

You should check it out on PC, with an xbox 360 controller. Same experience with higher res, actual 1080p and not stretched. Also i think the frame rate can be unlocked.

I enjoyed it. Better looking than on 360. I can put up some screen grabs of my play through.

6365798E8CC4BC82F29

1BA1F4218FDBAED2A0971E5A6236CB813D5470FC

D1416C4CC359516F8C66FDADAB538398911060DD
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Yes...yes.. YES!

tumblr_mb53yeDnSr1rqzq2zo1_500.gif
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes, OH YES! I'm reading myself up;

tumblr_m5fbilcBOY1rustm1o1_500.gif
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another vid

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmqxZrqk3bc"]Dark Souls II Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have to plug my PC into my TV. I work in front of a computer all day, I like to get away from the computer at home.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like they aren't drifting from the formula too much, which is certainly a great thing. Can't wait......!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! Cloth physics on armor! Proper dual wielding with combos! Massively improved lighting and physics! Enemies you can't backstab! Changes to the environment! Semi-Cheap Deaths! Improved Particle Effects! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

According to the FAQ the estus flasks will return so I'm not sure what the health stones are, maybe a place holder? or an alternative to it maybe, in either case I want this game NOW.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Some really blurry environment textures in places, and really old looking tech. But still looks a lot better in terms of animation and pacing. Should be fun.

How many people can you coop with?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe the Health Stones are indeed an alternative? Didn't they cycle through Es. Flask at one point in the video, while showing off the deaths or did I mis-see something else?

It would be nice to have a healing item that you can use and immediately duck out and break the healing if an enemy is charging. Can't say how many times I would be behind a large stool or fence, and using my Flash, only to have the mobs somehow magically path-find their way towards me from being stuck on a wall.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Ace they say in the QA that estus is back in the game. The healing stones could be a more rare instant-use like the divine things from Dark Souls.

I really liked what I saw. There's some dodgy looking geometry in some parts of the new trailer, but the engine is way, way improved. Better lighting, much better and more post-processing, better animations (and the put-weapons-away animation was nice), better procedural animations like the head-turning when running, the cloth and fur and generally better looking artwork.

But I don't really need any of that, if they just gave the same engine as the old one and gave the same level of quality content then I'd still eat that all up.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Looks promising, my bonfire has been kindled.
    Is it known whether this will be on consoles first or if it will be consoles and PC simultaneously ?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi44ajVrmSE"]Dark Souls x Evangelion MAD ????????????????????? - YouTube[/ame]
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon wrote: »
    Some really blurry environment textures in places, and really old looking tech. But still looks a lot better in terms of animation and pacing. Should be fun.

How many people can you coop with?

In Dark Souls 1 you can coop with 2 other people. a maximum of 4 people including you can exist in one player world at a time. 2 of these can be coop partners but one space is always left for a potential invader, as such you can also be invaded by 3 people. Invaders are players seeking out to kill you, and having two buds with you lowers the odds of you dying so thats nice :D
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    and having two buds with you lowers the odds of you dying so thats nice

You keep thinking that :) I always kill cowards like that in the end :D
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    I thought I'd link to this:

DARK SOULS 2 SHIELD DESIGN CONTEST

They had one for the first game and I think the Effigy Shield and maybe the Blood Shield are the results of that comp.

Here's the page for the new competition (Japanese): http://www.darksouls.jp/shield-design/

They may have a western comp as well, I don't know if this is separate or not because I speak no Japanese :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Fuck, I need to beat Dark Souls first. :(
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Great news about the design contest, I hope they do this for the western community as well. I would throw my head into the race for sure.

I'm so excited for this game! Although I still haven't beaten the last two bosses of the game but have already put hundreds of hours into the first one.

Also on the sidenote: Is there anyone else here who thinks that the music for the first trailer is damn awesome?
    I tried to find the composer and I found out: The guy is Mikolai Stroinski. You can check out his website here:
    http://mikolaistroinski.com/en/home.html
    His work is awesome! I hope capcom will have this guy do the soundtrack of the whole game. On the first trailer the music captured these emotions of loneliness, dispair and the slight bit of hope that there is a way to overcome your fate.

Anyway: When checked out the webite for the first time I was able to download the mp3 from the trailer via the media-tab in the site-information window. I guess quite a few people did that. Now it isn't available anymore.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Ah man I remember reading about the shield design contest for Dark Souls 1 and wondered how I missed it. But it looks like we can't enter that Japanese one? Or can we? Does it literally say only Japanese are allowed to submit?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most likely you can, but they most likely will lean more towards the JP ones in favor so people don't get mad, etc.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Heh dunno why I'm posting this as it means more talent from Polycount will make it harder to win but...

They announced an English version of the "Design a Shield" compo on Facebook. You need Facebook to enter, here's a link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=468966519843064&set=a.123871221019264.23050.119869331419453&type=1
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff, started on one but think I'll sit it out since many of the submitted ones are pretty close to what I wanted to make but much better :P Maybe someone can sneak in a polycount shield :P
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Already ahead of ya. After I've finished this first shield I'm gonna try intetgrating it in :P
  • Kaiser D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, you think it'd be a good idea to post our shield submissions? I'm curious to see what Polycount can come up with, also it could help us participants rack up some votes from fellow forum members.
    Or better yet, do you think the contest itself deserves its own thread? (unless it's been made already and I missed it because I'm a clod). Anyway, what say you?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hate popular vote/facebook contests, it's also disappointing it's a 2d design contest.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have loved to do it but the link never worked for me. I would have made 10 shields designs!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I've been following it since day one. Don't bother entering, the PR running that compo are useless. They allow voting day 1 so anyone who submitted earlier already have 1000's of votes whereas anything added now gets lost on page 50.

Second the rules are contradictory. Each templates has a region name and the rules say stick to your region but some guy running the page is like "Don't worry, make whatever you want."

And finally they refuse any design that adds damage to the edges. Some they don't explain why they were refused.

Anwho I'm trying to break the system by basically saying "I'll vote for yours if you vote for mine" and it seems to be working. 19 votes so far :P Here's my submission for those that care, I originally wanted to make a heart shield with veins but went for the eye when I noticed my red color scheme reminded me of the red invasion orbs which I love so much.

https://apps.facebook.com/darksoulsii/?gallery&action=view&id=1351

evil_eye_final.jpg

I was gonna do more shields but you'll have no chance now. It's also worth noting the leading designs, some are stolen, ones a CG art by someone else, another from Dr Who and the leading one is winning just because it has ENB tribute on the front :P He's a youtuber who's very popular, I myself have watched many of his Dark Souls lore videos so I don't blame the popularity.

Anyway as I said don't bother unless you really have a good design in mind! I'll vote for you none the less, we gotta help the polycount crew.

Isaiah, if you're using Chrome it doesn't work, use Firefox or IE.