Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more work on the shield.
    vk90j.png

But i think i will continue with this one instead.

HJjpm.png

Which is more in style with the weapon i have been working on.

Could be a set if i do some more stuff.

No details on this one yet.

ldjMA.png

BTW! I helped someone yesterday with disabling the default particle in the itemtester and thought i should share if anyone else needed to do that.

In the script npc_heroes.txt find the particle at your hero which should be in the precache area your heroes segment. Just rename the hero_xxxxx.pcf to something else and the default particle will be gone in the itemtest.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh21 wrote: »
    Did you do all of the high detail in zBrush? As of now I am only using maya, but it seems like everyone is using zbrush or mudbox to do their details.
    did whole thing in zbrush, except base meshes
  • 07genics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    07genics polycounter lvl 10
    i finish my first set .what are you think about the color~ i am torn.
    037F55FC388C096C3E5DE4A1026A0B0350E84F75
    this is link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100248312
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question about lowpoly topology. It must be only quads or tris allowed too?
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, so, at least 10 people on the workshop commented that this needs to be resized cause it's too big.
    I came to the point where i'm seriously considering to resize it smaller, but considering that i trust people's opinion less than artist's one, i think it's bettere to ask you about the size before taking any action...
    Is it indeed too big?
    desolation_2.jpg
    Ahoburg wrote: »

Every realtime engine work in tris, so of course they are allowed. Maybe you can get problems in some engines with polygon with more than 4 sides.
    Anyway quads are a visual semplification for modelers, but every engine always convert them in tris, and the polycount of an object is always intended in tris!
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Both are fine I believe
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    motenai - I think it looks fine. Remember that in addition to those 10 comments that told you it's too big there are over one thousand people who like it :D
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    Ok, so, at least 10 people on the workshop commented that this needs to be resized cause it's too big.
    I came to the point where i'm seriously considering to resize it smaller, but considering that i trust people's opinion less than artist's one, i think it's bettere to ask you about the size before taking any action...
    Is it indeed too big?
    Every realtime engine work in tris, so of course they are allowed. Maybe you can get problems in some engines with polygon with more than 4 sides.
    Anyway quads are a visual semplification for modelers, but every engine always convert them in tris, and the polycount of an object is always intended in tris!
    that's what i thought. Thanks.
    About your model, it's indeed slightly big. It takes too much space and obstruct a view a little. Circle looks fine, but desolators can be smaller
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it indeed too big?
    desolation_2.jpg

Looks fine to me maybe, if you were to make it smaller it would only have be very slightly
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    looking good, i dont havbe any idea how you did the internal pages on zbrush =]

---
    guys, i need some suggestions

im planning on starting all the texture from zero, um not happy with that

made some quick tests, any suggestion?

thanks =]

I did some blocky versions of each in max, added support loops and noise modifiers, then added some Alpha noise and changed the shape up a bit to make each piece look more unique.

What about a combination of 1 and 2? Maybe make the overall top color purple, with the stripes from #2 as orange on top of that.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little question, how to use mirrored uv/textures? Any specifics with this game?
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Ahoburg, both are fine, but know that the polygon limit is in tris. 400 quads is actually 800 tris (every square is composed of two triangles). While you don't have to manually triangulate your mesh, know that the triangles are there already.

Use mirrored UVs as much as you can to increase your texture resolution. I'd suggest you cast normals before breaking the UV so that seam doesn't stand out.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shield for The Silencer, what do you guys think? I think im a lot closer matching materials this time round.

sYx8W.jpg
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    Crazyone, that looks very cool. By the way i have a question for you. I've seen that in the screenshots of your Jug mask, you have a glow around Jug's Sword, could you tell me how you did that?

thx ) yeah sure , that was the original model of the sword , when I added my sword glow disappeared , I even tried making the same masks and even imported the orifinal model , but it didn't have the glow... (
    As I understand we can't make items with glow at the moment , it's somehow connected with particles , and I have no idea how to control them (
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Paskie wrote: »
    vk90j.png

HJjpm.png

ldjMA.png

BTW! I helped someone yesterday with disabling the default particle in the itemtester and thought i should share if anyone else needed to do that.

In the script npc_heroes.txt find the particle at your hero which should be in the precache area your heroes segment. Just rename the hero_xxxxx.pcf to something else and the default particle will be gone in the itemtest.

the old one is better =]

i will come to you soon with a lot of question of particles =]

im planning to add some on the courier
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Tvidotto! Nr 2 is the winner! Reminds me of Tidehunter :) Tidehunters pet???!

awesome relationship you did, that will be a good reference for the patterns, thanks =]
    2 and 4 are the best! and maybe i'd say 2 over 4, but i would put some more purple areas, yellow is too dominant
    great
    i will try to change a little the hue of the purple to see if i get something more pleasing
    vk90j.png

HJjpm.png

ldjMA.png

thats the way i like to do
    4dPLm.jpg
    4dPLm.jpg
    crazyone wrote: »
    thx ) yeah sure , that was the original model of the sword , when I added my sword glow disappeared , I even tried making the same masks and even imported the orifinal model , but it didn't have the glow... (
    As I understand we can't make items with glow at the moment , it's somehow connected with particles , and I have no idea how to control them (

someone asked me one day with a help compiling a jugger sword

he used a wrong sized model as reference and the sword was huge in the game, but the glow continued at the same place
    that means that the sword model or texture has nothing to do with the glow, its like a particle over the sword

once i saw on the workshop someone that replaced maginas sword and got the old glow over, let me see if i find
    -
    yay, find it
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=89205833&searchtext=manta
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a little question. I'm trying to import a naga siren weapon, and what do i do now? Import same weapon twice with different assigned bones in "weapon" and "offhand weapon" categories? Or i need 2 meshes with different bones in one category (but that's too much polys)? Thanks. Also, what bones do i need to assign for naga's sword?

Another problem, lol xD Why is this happening?LuXWP.jpg
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    I have a little question. I'm trying to import a naga siren weapon, and what do i do now? Import same weapon twice with different assigned bones in "weapon" and "offhand weapon" categories? Or i need 2 meshes with different bones in one category (but that's too much polys)? Thanks. Also, what bones do i need to assign for naga's sword?

Another problem, lol xD Why is this happening?

Assign whatever bones are assigned to the default sword. Open up the original mesh and the Skin modifier (that's what it's called in Max, I don't know what it's called in Maya) will list each bone that is assigned to it.

I'm looking at Naga's requirements and it looks like each weapon is separate. One sword is a main-hand weapon and the other is an offhand weapon. I think you'll have to upload them separately, as two different objects. You'll have to Skin them to different bones too: one set of bones for the left hand, one set of bones for the right hand.

It's hard for me to tell what you're talking about in your photo because of the angle. is the body clipping the sword blade? If it is, make sure you size the sword correctly, place it where it needs to go and then ResetXForm and set the Pivot Point at 0,0,0 so that it animates properly.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik wrote: »
    It's hard for me to tell what you're talking about in your photo because of the angle. is the body clipping the sword blade?
    The problem is that my sword appears together with default one. I assume that's not how it's supposed to be. Thanks for tips.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    The problem is that my sword appears together with default one. I assume that's not how it's supposed to be. Thanks for tips.

I don't see a sword in the screen-right hand. It looks like you uploaded a weapon meant for the main-hand, but physically put it into the off-hand position (or vice versa).
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i figured it out, most of all my problems was from the game glitching. So, i uploaded it finally. My first creation, and not the last one. Thanks guys for help :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100499692
    l5DKh.jpg
  • LiselottePulva
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Another problem, lol xD Why is this happening?LuXWP.jpg

You need to import both weapons at once, one bound to one hand and the other hand bound to the other.

That was what I did, however now it seems they've split up the weapon slots where before it was just one slot for both... weird.

Looking at the technical requirements now it seems the way you did it is the way to go; two separate exports.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the technical requirements now it seems the way you did it is the way to go; two separate exports.
    so it seems, i guess they can be combined afterwards by valve or something
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so it seems, i guess they can be combined afterwards by valve or something

I don't know if it's necessarily a matter of them combining it afterwards, I think Naga just has two weapons now like Bounty Hunter, Blood Seeker, Anti-Mage, etc.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I've been searching for this thread, I thought it had been buried to the depths of oblivion.

Then I saw it was stickied. Thanks guys :p Now I have days of your great work to catch up on!
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, I just submitted my first item!

I'd love to hear any feedback you could give me! Thanks!

18A97535116BC30FDCF14F4CE59E4A681485564E
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    acarr wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just submitted my first item!

I'd love to hear any feedback you could give me! Thanks!

What character? What item slot?

For presentation purposes I'd make the background have more contrast with the item's colors. If that's a candle, maybe desaturate the green wax so that that it's a very pale green; that would help sell the fact that it's wax and would break it up from the background more.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it wasn't obvious enough that it's Pugna's weapon you could have just clicked on it and seen the workshop page, haha.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    Just threw my Slardar axe up on the workshop - check it out, tell me what you think!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100546253

slar_preview_01.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck wrote: »
    Just threw my Slardar axe up on the workshop - check it out, tell me what you think!!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100546253

slar_preview_01.jpg

Looks awesome! Will vote when i get home from work.

@Tvidotto, sure! I'll give you all the information i got :D

Maybe i'll keep both shields ^^

@ Ahoburg, that nagaweapon is looking good! Will vote!

@Acarr, pugnas candle! Awesome! Votes are coming.

@ All, keep those items coming, good work everyone! :thumbup:
  • dfanton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm completely new to texturing (and want to learn through making items in Dota2). I was wondering if anyone's recorded themselves texturing any items, or if anyone would be willing to record their work and upload it to Youtube. Or if anyone knows any good start-to-finish videos that deal with texturing for items like those being made, here.

If it's too tall of an order, I completely understand.
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfanton wrote: »
    Hey, I'm completely new to texturing (and want to learn through making items in Dota2). I was wondering if anyone's recorded themselves texturing any items, or if anyone would be willing to record their work and upload it to Youtube. Or if anyone knows any good start-to-finish videos that deal with texturing for items like those being made, here.

Id like to see this to, my texturing needs work.
  • Seraph Fawkes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seraph Fawkes polycounter lvl 12
    @ dfanton

I recommend checking out 3d motives tutorial on handpainted texturing, as well as couple tuts from Vertex magazine (search it on polycount).
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfanton wrote: »

i work like this:
    polypaint on highres mesh using zapplink or spotlight, you need to sample a main colors from your hero.
    bake paint and cavity, occlusion maps to lowpoly
    combine them in photoshop using layers, softlight or multiply
    tweak colors a little, channels, etc.
  • LiselottePulva
    just wanna finish something :D

From X-Men to a crystal - thanks for your feedback!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100592540&searchtext=

637x358.resizedimage
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Due to numerous requests, this blade is now up for Kunkka. And i finally figured out a skinning/import/export stuff, phew.

huqD6.jpg
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    Id like to see this to, my texturing needs work.

I too need help with my texturing. If you guys could take a look at my third revision for this weapon I made and let me know what I could do to make it pop more?

11ied8z.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100288441

Steam page ^
  • JoachimC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoachimC polycounter lvl 7
    Still a WIP, could use some feedback. It's a staff for the Furion character.
    I'm still new to handpainted texturing, so I could also really use some tips on that.

HC9nD.jpg
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Wednesday Patch time
    Update Notes - October 3, 2012

- Added Magnus!
    - Enabled Team creation.
    - Made all 6.75b Parity changes
    - Added around 150 new items to the store.

Full update here: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=57085
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2Vfqa.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100680549

I added more to it, How do you put links into images anyway? Feel stupid for asking.
  • WarlockPsychologist
    Hi all. I am here to share my Dazzle set.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100696016

promocollect.jpg

Please check it out and vote if you consider it worthy. And of course comment!
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Items get added tomorrow :D
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Does anyone else have scale problems when compiling for every hero?

I model around the source files valve gives but when I import the scale is almost never correct. I manage to get it to work with tweaking but it's super inefficient.

Something I am doing wrong? It's really frustrating me right now trying to get my Lina hat updated.

Edit: looks like in this case the smd scale is correct but I'll have to redo some skinning, maybe.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp, the armor is fully done. I'm proud of how it came out, and plan to finish the wings this weekend (time permitting).

Qch2k.jpg
  • Solution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »

I model around the source files valve gives but when I import the scale is almost never correct. I manage to get it to work with tweaking but it's super inefficient.

Something I am doing wrong? It's really frustrating me right now trying to get my Lina hat updated.

Edit: looks like in this case the smd scale is correct but I'll have to redo some skinning, maybe.
    I remember having to Freeze Transformations in Maya to make the scaling work correctly in the importer

Modify -> Freeze Transformations
  • Ex4000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »

Always use the smd files I believe the other ones aren't to the correct scale
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Highpoly/polypaint of my Nature Prophet staff. Hope you like it, advice welcome :)
    35HNn.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys, quick clarification needed: Has it been confirmed or denied whether or not the poly budgets are total faces, tris or quads yet?
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick clarification needed: Has it been confirmed or denied whether or not the poly budgets are total faces, tris or quads yet?
    i tested it. if you try to import quad mesh, it will count only quads for limit. 350 quads needed for a weapon, for example. If you triangulate it, it will no longer allow it seeing it is consist of 700+ faces, triangles. So, make quads...profit. It counts every face, no matter quad or tri or combined.